Baseball Stars - Expanded

TecmoTurd

I've been working on a little project to expand the Baseball Stars game to include 14 teams. Basically I'm using the create-a-team feature to make a .sav file, and I've got an editor (TSBTool format) written that edits the players on the .sav

Once I finished the editor and made sure it was possible, I finished the icons for the NL. 16 teams in the NL, so I left out San Diego and Houston. I attached a screenshot of what I got. I am real happy with most of them, though a few could use a little work.

Next up, AL icons, and then I'll move on to writing a TSBTool style editor for the ROM itself. Even if noone uses this stuff, it's been a lot of fun, and I'll eventually put it on my PowerPak and run a season or something.

post-5855-13413730167358_thumb.png

Thanks, they were fairly easy and quick to make. Writing the .sav editor was the tough part. I still want to add some accent to the Brewers, and add the Marlin on Florida, but these are serviceable as is.

I'll do AL next, then write the editor for the ROM itself. Does your buddy play online? I'd do a few casual games...if he (or anyone else) plays with a powerpak or different emulator, I can modify my editor to write the data to the correct sav format for whatever emulator you're using. This one right now just works with Nestopia. The graphics work on any ROM, but the expanded edited teams need to be put on a .sav, and the locations are different for different emus...

can't wait to see this, bro. I was just talking to a guy at work today about TSB - and he asked if anyone ever hacked Baseball Stars, because it is his favorite game from his youth. As luck would have it, you had just posted this info and I told him about it.

I was able to reuse most of my code from my .sav editor to make a tsbtool type thing for the ROM too. I just have to work out some bugs and it should be flying. It would be cool to get a community project going to create the ratings, but right now I just want to finish graphics and editors. Be sure to tell me his reaction.

TDO, thanks for the heads up. WHen I first read your post, I didn't know what you were talking about so I looked at their logo again, and actually added the little down curve on the left hand side of the A. I just reread your post again this morning and finally saw what you were actually talking about. I'll fix that, so thanks.

As for the color box, no real rhyme or reason for my color box other than I added it where I felt it needed some contrast from the background or needed it to make the logo pop. The Reds logo (which I'll be completely redoing pops pretty good against the background, so I didn't think it needed it. What color would I use for that? White? We'll see...

Here are the recent updates only a few more to go, plus a few that need some rework. AdamB5000 and I have been working together, and a lot of the new stuff is his work, or a combination of mine and his. The guy has some talent, and a knack for pixels :wink: Much thanks to him for his help. He's improved several of my drawings.

post-5855-13413730231825_thumb.png

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would love to put together ratings. I can to put together two sets: "regular" Baseball Stars style that favors offense and "realistic" ratings that will give computer teams close to real life stats over a full season. Please let me know what you have done as far as rosters, stances, handedness, face numbers, etc. I can take on any/all of that. I can start now and finalize it as the remaining big free agents sign (unless you have rosters set). It would be great to do a "Baseball Stars 2012" type of thing. Do you still have my e-mail address? If not, please PM me and let me know what I can do to make this happen.

I just stumbled upon this thread today from trying to Google search information on hacking Baseball Stars. I saw a couple of mentions of people writing editors to edit the ROM data. Is there any chance these editors would be made available? Or are there any pubically released tools for modifying the game?

I would love to have any sort of way to modify the players externally, ideally being able to modify the .sav so that created teams/players are included. One thing that is a major priority is being able to change the face pic for the player. You can modify the names freely in game, but the faces, you're stuck with for pre-existing players (this isn't so much an issue with newly created players). Also, I think I read the default teams are completely non-editable in-game.

The ability to create and import your own logos would be nice too. I could probably use an existing program that does this for ROMs in general to accomplish that task, but if there's already a pre-existing tool specifically designed for this game, that would probably make things easier.

Though #1 priority to me is just fiddling around with the hard-coded data on a player (appearance, ratings, etc...).

If anyone's reading this, I don't even really need a graphical editor or anything fancy like that. Just a list of offsets for the game would be fine. I can hex edit anything I need if I know where to look. I'm going to try to figure out as much as I can myself, but if someone already knows where all the values are and would be kind enough to share, I'd greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: Ok, did some digging and I figured out all of the basic offsets for numerical data. If you just go into a hex editor and look for the actual text of the names, the first byte following that is the number of the face picture. After that is the position (1-9 like you'd see on a score card), then the next byte is shared for the hand and stance. Right handed is 0, left-handed is 8 for some reason. Stance is 0 for standing up normal, 1 for crouching, 2 for power stance, I think... for the females, it's 3 for standing, 4 for crouching. So basically, if you want a male righty crouching, you'd use 01.

Following this are the attributes bytes which share two stats each: Hit/Bat, Run/DEF, Luck/Prest. The next two bytes I THINK combine for batting average and then finally the HRs.

That's all I know how to change so far, but I hope that info is helpful to someone perhaps.

Anyone have a good way to edit the logos? I figure I'll need a tile editor (like TileMolestor) but I'm not sure where to begin to look for the offsets for them. If anyone already knows, please share.