(NES) TSB 11-12 HIGHSPEED buck/rewhawl PLAYOFFs - Jan 14

buck

Let me begin by saying I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new mirror plays.

Hope this makes it in time for the next update. Regarding the Colts, I have some roster requests/issues:

* Dan Muir is no longer a Colt. Would be nice to see Drake Nevis alongside Moala.

* Brackett and Bullitt are on IR. Replacing them on D are Angerer in the middle, Phillip Wheeler to the vacant OLB, and David Caldwell as SS.

* Freeney and Mathis seem a bit slow in gameplay.

* Blair White is the Punt Returner. You could make him KR too and drop Tamme or Gonzo (heck, even Brown).

P.S.: This ROM is the only one I play anymore. Superb work, and thank you!!!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of tweaking the attributes of ALL back-ups, why not make the back-ups come into games already set as EXCELLENT CONDITION.

Then by performance the condition can change.

First let me say that this ROM is the only one I play nowadays, yet perfection requires smoothing out the dings and scratches here and there. You're on the right track!

Ok

I'm playing as two teams, PATS and BEARS and I noticed something about the latter in comparison, THEY SUCK!

But its not that the BEARS are terrible, its that they are underwhelming insofar as individual atts go.

I believe its time to scale back on some PATS players. I advise you to look at each teams bench players and compare the skill numbers.

For starters, WR Deion Branch need to be scaled back in speed. As a 31-31-44-13-50-63 man he is Better than Miami's WR Brandon Marshall at 25-19-31-38-50-69 !

BEARS' WR Roy Williams at 13-13-13-19-25-44 ?? Wow that bad? I still feel no skill player should be lower than 25MS

And that BEARS bench? they've got nothing on the PATS bench and for this to be a balanced game i think there should be some parody.

heres a concept:

Bench RBs should have an average skill level of 13-13-25-25-25-6/13

Bench WRs 13-13-25-13-25-31

Now to this idea I have about bench players playing like STARS:

On an earlier post I mentioned the idea of letting backups appear as EXCELLENT CONDITION when the game begins.

I think ultimately people will abuse this as to put all bench players in, so I'm thinking of a maybe a formula that randomly allows for 2 of the 5 skill players to be EXCELLENT CONDITION. Of course the back-up QB should always start games EXCELLENT.

Hopefully you get this message as I can see more members appreciating the work you guys do.

PEACE

3-1 pats -> branch 16, 226, 1 TD

2-2 bears -> r williams: 5, 70, 0 TD

0-4 dolphins -> b marshall: 22, 313, 1 TD

dude was asking for b marshall to get HP, so I gave it to him, but that cut into his speed.

pats vs bears - they are both "top shelf" teams, and now that I compare them side by side, are almost opposites - pats have great passing-offense, poor defense; bears have good defense and relatively poor offense - however, the bears do have Forte - a Silver RB, but their passing game is suspect.

as far as bench, yes the pats have a "gold" bench and bears have "bum" backups. - the backups are ranked. and the backup points are "pooled" for each position (RB, WR, TE)

as far as re-writing the spreadsheet and coming up with new notches and stuff, we're already working on that - and have a new plan that will work better (give a bit more freedom). but this is what we're using for now and we probably won't implement a new spreadsheet until spring.

on another note, Don Amero, you'll be pleased to hear that I have started working on designing "slot-based" defenses. lots of planning, notes, and drawings on paper. I have a good plan. just need to find the time to implement it.

I guess I understand you logic on this.

You want to create more of a true NFL likeliness and that gives way to certain teams strengths.

My interpretation would've been to create a relative balance as to not have gamers fustrated from teams with less luxury.

Also the bench performer rising to the occasion after an starter injury would be sweet.

I'll be looking forward to your concepts in the coming days and weeks.

PEACE

new version coming later today.

was finally able to do MAN v MAN testing....next version should play better (v MAN) and has a lot of changes regarding ratings.

basically, we've thrown out the spreadsheets now (they did their job, getting us in the ballpark) and we've made little minor adjustments here and there to hopefully mirror reality a little bit better.

So I love the way this rom plays, only I'm not sure the rating system works quite right...well I mean it does...but there are a few instances where things are weird. For example Packers WR Jordy Nelson is like 19 rec. He has to be better than that right? Also i think i'm just retarded but I can't figure out how to tell who is going to be a really good defensive player to use based on ratings. In normal roms I'd use a relatively fast player (50 ms or better) with decent HP. Patrick Willis...Champ Bailey...etc. Another thing I was curious about was Asante seemingly being better than Nnamdi, and I'd say Karlos Dansby is the best Dolphin defender and he's pretty bad in the rom. I love the way this thing plays more than any I've ever played, I just don't quite understand how it works yet. Haha nice work Buck!

So I love the way this rom plays, only I'm not sure the rating system works quite right...well I mean it does...but there are a few instances where things are weird. For example Packers WR Jordy Nelson is like 19 rec. He has to be better than that right? Also i think i'm just retarded but I can't figure out how to tell who is going to be a really good defensive player to use based on ratings. In normal roms I'd use a relatively fast player (50 ms or better) with decent HP. Patrick Willis...Champ Bailey...etc. Another thing I was curious about was Asante seemingly being better than Nnamdi, and I'd say Karlos Dansby is the best Dolphin defender and he's pretty bad in the rom. I love the way this thing plays more than any I've ever played, I just don't quite understand how it works yet. Haha nice work Buck!

as far as defensive players - even a low-rated player can get it done. you just have to pick the right defender on a play and you can stop (or slow-down) the play. it's not like TSB where you always pick the same badass.

jordy nelson - that is straight-up wrong. he needs to have 44 REC. I will change that.

I'm still trying to understand how it works, too. this system worked great for a "minor league" rom, but is strange adopting it to model NFL teams.

After a little more experience playing, I'm wondering if you think QBs could be toned down mobility wise in any way? A friend and myself started a season using this rom last night, I'm using the Dolphins and he's using the 49ers. After 3 games for me, Henne has 10 carries for 110 yards and I'm trying not to run with him unless I have zero options to throw it. My buddy has played 2 games and Alex Smith has 13 carries for 164 yards. I kinda feel like only the most mobile quarterbacks in real life should have anything more than minimum speed ratings in this rom. Loving the game though, most certainly my favorite version of Tecmo yet. Keep up the good work.

OCTOBER 23rd version now available.

Due to popular demand - THERE ARE NOW "SLOT-BASED" DEFENSES.

you no longer try to pick your opponents play - you choose your defensive formation/behavior

It plays really nice! MAN or COM or COM/COM

Up + A -> 4-3 Run

Left + A -> 3-4 Run

Right + A -> 4-3 Over

Down + A -> Goalline

Up + B -> 4-3 Pass

Left + B -> 3-4 Pass

Right + B -> Nickel

Down + B -> Dime

-----------------------

added 10/22

major roster changes (should be pretty up to date, including Carson Palmer and Loyd trade

tweaked plays (blocking, routes)

adjusted some behind the scenes ratings (int, PC, defensive MS)

global slowed down QBs

global slowed down DL

Added jstouts "ultra logic" - COM plays better defense

Added Slot-based defenses

Remind me why this isn't good for MAN-MAN games?

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

what? well, the reason it's good is because I made it. The other slot-based defenses that have been created in the past didn't play right (vs COM and vs MAN), in my opinion. These do.

I'm also working on new receiver routes (shorter) that work better against some of the "zone-type" defenses. but there have already been modifications to some.

and I see you didn't even download before comment.

thanks, man. don't worry about donations, though. I do it for fun and hobby. It's nice to get feedback and I'm glad there are still people out there who like TSB.

maybe if I ever meet you at a TSB tournament, you can buy me a beer or three.

Remind me why this isn't good for MAN-MAN games?

what? well, the reason it's good is because I made it. The other slot-based defenses that have been created in the past didn't play right (vs COM and vs MAN), in my opinion. These do. and I see you didn't even download before comment.

Sorry, sloppy reading on my part, I'm really tired. :) I'm going to download it now. :)

Finally tried this ROM, threw it on my DS and ran in under nesDS.nes (which is about the only way I play this game anymore... portability FTW). This is really something. The bubble screens, the slot defenses, the feel (it feels like Tecmo, yet not, yet...).

I see you slowed down the QB's, but I still find that the ones that should scramble can just fine. A lot of ROMS seem to get scrambling QB's wrong, honestly. This one doesn't. Good job.

I find myself playing with CB's a lot on defense now because the DL's and LB's can't just run roughshod through, over, or around anyone necessarily, so the CB's can react to the play better.

The Receiver Rolling... well, I suck with it mostly right now, but I can totally see the usefulness. Especially since the COM defenses are now quite tough IMHO. A great idea honestly to let you move a receiver away from coverage into an opening.

I played two games (1 w/ Denver, 1 w/ Philly) and lost both (though the game using Philly was close, I lost by just a long FG in the final min.). You really pay the price on mishandled run plays by the COM now... On one play w/ Philly against Cleveland HIllis went to the right side and as I was bringing my corner across from the other side for support one of the CLE WR's that had gone out on a fake route came back in on me and slid to block, and took my CB completely out of the play while I wasn't paying attention for him. I don't think I have ever seen that pulled off quite like that in any Tecmo game ever. It felt very organic and a bit random, and I was furious and used some not-nice language.

Honestly, what philleyOphish said back on Page 1 is true I think: This plays like 2011-12. This doesn't feel like original TSB. Normally, I want and really need that original feel or else I don't like a ROM. This doesn't, and yet it still feels very right. In the original, you could study and guess offensive formations for help, but it wasn't really necessary to wreck an offense if you knew what you were doing anyways. It helps a LOT more in this version. There's so much more to keep track of and recognize on both sides.

Main problem for me right now is that I don't normally play juiced, and I'm pretty sure this is... so it's jarring to play an Exhibition and get that right off the bat, heh.

I'm going to be playing this a lot more though. I really enjoyed the official 2011 ROM, but truth if I've still been playing a LOT of that one old CIFL ROM just because it felt so different. This has that same "different" feel.

My how far ROMs have come...

EDIT: Fixed my sorry-a** spelling and typing.

Looking forward to checking the rom out, Buck! And as a single ball-busting comment: If I had a dollar for every time two years ago you told me that my slot-based defenses were anti-tecmo, I'd have at least another benjamin in my wallet. Glad to see you've come around! :)

Looking forward to checking the rom out, Buck! And as a single ball-busting comment: If I had a dollar for every time two years ago you told me that my slot-based defenses were anti-tecmo, I'd have at least another benjamin in my wallet. Glad to see you've come around! :)

I know, I know. I hope you like it. Check out how the dl comes off the ball in random directions.