buck & rewhawl 2011-12 NES TSB "PURE" and "UPGRADE" v3

buck

post-3789-1341373012274_thumb.png

UPDATE 09.11.11 -> updated rosters on both versions (also tweaked MOJO hack a bit); updated "purist" version (9/11/11)

------------------------------------

here is the buck/rewhawl "purist" NES TSB ROM. WEEK 1 Version 3.

TSB 20th anniv buck and rewhawl UPGRADED 2012 week 1 v3.zip[/attachment]

"UPGRADE" (UPGRAYEDD) VERSION

'BALANCE OF POWER' RATING OF TEAMS - LIKE ORIGINAL TSB

RATINGS WITHIN ORIGINAL RANGE AND ATTEMPT MATCH THE STATISTICAL DISTRIBUTION OF ORIGINAL TSB

WEEKLY COM JUICE INCREASE

MOJO HACK

QUICKNESS IS NOW "COVERAGE ABILITY", INTERCEPTIONS IS "INTERCEPTION ABILTIY"

DEFENDER SPEED BOOST FOR TURNOVERS

ALL KICKOFFS RANGE FROM 15 YARD LINE (MIN) TO MIDDLE OF ENDZONE (MAX)

SHORTER PUNTS - AROUND 65 YARDS MAX

PASS ACCURACY IS 'COMPLETIONS/INTERCEPTIONS'

PASS CONTROL IS 'ON TARGET'

PLAYER 2 CONDITION DISPLAY FIX

PRO BOWL ROSTERS FROM 2010 SEASON

SIM (SKP) RATINGS LOOK GOOD

FRESH UNIFORMS

INTRO GRAPHICAL UPDATES

MODERN NFL LOGO

----

Special Thanks to:

BODOM (OL rankings/rosters and awesome original TSB Roster Spreadsheet)

BRUDDOG (defender turnover speed boost & rating and statistical insight)

JSTOUT (Pass Accuracy upgrade, quickness as coverage mod, and player 2 condition fix)

PROADS26 (Modern NFL Shield)

CXROM (32-Team TSB, MOJO hack, and In-game Playbook Change upgrade)

---------

--------

* there will also be a 2011 "HIGH-SPEED" NFL ROM. Features a new rating system, new plays/formations, and all that cool stuff that was on the 'buck 2010' NFL ROM. (see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13747 )

the goal of these ROMs (as usual) is to offer both competitive COM and MAN play.

-----

post-3789-1341373012274_thumb.png

Edited by Knobbe
Ezekiel 25:17

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the pureist version have a competitive COM?

not planning on that, it will be straight-up default (juice/mojo) stuff. just trying to make a game as similar to the original NES TSB as possible, with the only exceptions being: in-game play changes, pass accuracy fix, quickness as int/fumble return MS.

Awesome, can't wait! I dig the high speed, JUICED roms.

You still considering using the O Lines I put together, or you gonna do your own? Was planning on completing them in the next 2 weeks, mid/late August.

as far as the "highspeed" goes - I might use your OL stuff for some guidance/assistance, but I have seriously tweaked the internal rating (RS, MS, HP, etc) system and will have to do the ratings myself (custom).

but for the "pure" version, I will definitely look into it.

Hey Buck!

To answer your Q's to the forum:

A. what are some new plays or formations that you'd like to see in the super-high-speed ROM?

Ever thought about team-specific playbooks? would that be impossible?

Some teams can be more pass-oriented or run-oriented than others.

How about more pass plays such as Shotguns and Pistol forms. Definately more Wildcat and 2TE run plays.

B. what is your feeling on "defensive formations"?

I personaly thin D Forms are brilliant and adds more strategy to gameplay. I've played a few ROMS with this addition. Go For It!!!!

C. any other feature requests?

2-point conversion maybe?

a slower game clock....makes 1 minute left feel long enough to implement a drive.

clock pause during change of possesion at kickoffs.

ability to check during game of D lineup for phys. condition.

Touchbacks.

I can't imagine your ROM being any more interesting if you "Super Sped" it up.....I think its fine the way it is. Keep it up Man!

Ever thought about team-specific playbooks? would that be impossible?

Some teams can be more pass-oriented or run-oriented than others.

How about more pass plays such as Shotguns and Pistol forms. Definately more Wildcat and 2TE run plays.

The number of pass and run slots is fixed for all teams, however, more passes could be placed in run slots and runs can be placed in pass slots...it's a matter of design, some very big decisions to be made there.

Shotguns and Pistol...do NFL teams run Pistol? Right now there are 3x 2TE runs, I could possibly add a fourth. I could add a Wildcat Reverse...

I personaly thin D Forms are brilliant and adds more strategy to gameplay. I've played a few ROMS with this addition. Go For It!!!!

They are super cool, but they either work too good or too poorly. That's the issue - making COM run them good, but not have MAN be too good with them.

2-point conversion maybe?

a slower game clock....makes 1 minute left feel long enough to implement a drive.

clock pause during change of possesion at kickoffs.

ability to check during game of D lineup for phys. condition.

Touchbacks.

No two point conversion for now.

By globally speeding up the physics of the game, it's like slowing down the clock.

Not sure about clock pause.

No way to check Defense conditions in-game - without using a custom emulator program (there is one made by bruddog, available on this forum).

Touchbacks on kickoffs can't be done by be.

i enjoy the huddle breaking in "just bring it 4" if you could put that in it would be sweet. That and maybe a in game list of options like turning things on and off or up and down like game speed and hacks. Yellow goal posts and maybe steal the play select screen artwork from super coach.

• 3 weeks later...
How's the rom coming along?

the original-style is coming along fine. the "super" high-speed is not going to be ready until much later. but, I am going to do a "high-speed" like last year, except with updated plays and stuff that will be ready before the NFL season starts.

Okay. If you're doing a "Pure" ROM, now I have something to work with. We should talk about combining my aesthetic changes (if you're interested) with your back-end number crunching and assigning work.

yes, we're doing a purist TSB - I believe it will be the closest TSB ROM to the real 1991 thing that's out there, same playbooks, same everything (except 32 teams and in-game playbooks changing) - with 1 (maybe 2) exceptions -> going to use Pass Accuracy Hack; and maybe Quickness for Turnover Speed.

We've (rewhawl and I) done extensive research into the original rating system/distribution and team strengths and disparities. I'm not shitting you when I tell you the ratings are just like the 1991 version. The same ratio of 56/50 MS backs, the shitty WR backups (25 69 25 13 50 44), etc. Yes, Bob Nelson still lives...in Oakland, and he's black now.

anyways, if you want to make graphical changes to this, feel free, and accept my blessing - because I am going to spend my 'graphical and coding' time with the "high-speed" rom and I know you have a lot of experience with TSB graphics and you do exemplary work. In fact, let me send you the current version and you can start "doing your thing", as it were. check your PM later tonight.

(in my humble opinion, I foresee no reason why this couldn't be the "official" Tecmo Repository ROM.)

Buck, check out my ROM I posted here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=14651&start=30#p123777

What I'd like to do is use an altered version of this ROM and combine it with your roster work (which I'm sure is impeccable). I think we can find a happy marriage. In that thread, FC listed some of the visual changes. I'm hoping to get to a list of subtle game changes I've made. I'm not sure how I would copy/paste all of my color palette/graphic tile changes from this ROM into another.

We have a basis to work with here, though. I think if we put our heads together, we can modify my ROM to be an additional resource for TSB.org in a package with your ROMs to boot. Of course, I'll change one of the intro graphics to include you and Rehawl in the credits and etc..

Let's work this through...

Example of some of my game play changes that I would like to keep, or utilize in a ROM included:

- Shuffling Defensive Formations to where if I, on Defense, choose Pass #4, that it provides better cover than if I'm playing the CPU and it chooses Pass #1. Again, I'm not changing any defenses, I'm shuffling the natural defenses in a specific play already allocated, to better the coverages for the more 'sensible' choice. Currently, many plays don't function this way. Which is why when you play the CPU, and you pick Pass #4 on defense, and the CPU (or other player) chooses Pass #1, you get worst coverage than if you chose Run #2. Does that make sense? No alterations. Just shuffling the natural defensive reactions of each play where needed (about half the playbook).

- PA / PC.

- CPU Kickoffs going longer.

Things like this...

Tile Layer Pro lets you select (right click) and copy tiles from one ROM to another. Palette info can be done by extracting it with TSBTool and then using that as a set patch to the new ROM.

Check my semi-pro rom and reconsider dropping tile layer pro hints my way.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

Tile Layer Pro lets you select (right click) and copy tiles from one ROM to another. Palette info can be done by extracting it with TSBTool and then using that as a set patch to the new ROM.

Hmmmmm. Coooooool. TLP copying I knew. Just about every graphic tile has been altered in my version (in addition to the original CX-ROM 32-Team alterations). Lots of copying... But it's worth it to have First-Down Refs. :D

Mgk, like I said, rew and I are doing this thing straight up stock. If you want to take the data from tool and make your own thing from our rosters, go ahead. I'm using hack skills for my high-speed brand rom.

Okay, cool. So this is what we're working with...

You and Rehawl are doing the Pure ROM (likely best used as the official TSB.org ROM)

You and Rehawl are doing the Super Duper High-Speed Coked Out ROM

Drummer is doing his usual work

And I will release a subtle-changed game play (which we can discuss further in the coming week publicly) / total graphic alteration ROM, using your Pure ROM rosters / stats as a base

Does that sound about right?