Our Dynasty TSB 3 Coaching League

So, we have now played 15 continuous season of Tecmo Bowl coach-mode.  Working on season 2010 now.  Thought I would share a few of the post-Superbowl press conferences from some of the victors.  We have 6 coaches in the league (each having 5 teams) and play the playoffs only.

1997 Press Conference:

After perennial favorite Coach Brad had one the innagural 1995 season with the Seahawks, main rival Chad won the 1996 season with his Bengals.  Coach Brad then dominated the field in 1997 with Miami to bag his second Super Bowl trophy and his confident post game remarks are as follows: 

"Brad your my only competition for me to worry about at this point." -Coach Chad commenting on his "only steal from Brad" trade strategy in the off season.

"It was an overtime game that could've gone either way...I'll take it." -Coach Chad after losing to Coach Cynthia.

"I can't prevent injuries." -Coach Chad during his struggle against Coach Nicky's Packers with his battered Eagles.

"I'd bet 100 dollars the Dolphins win the Super Bowl." -Coach Chad after being knocked out of the playoffs.

It was the controversy of the season that the other coaches of the league may not have taken lightly.  Was coach Brad and Chad leaps and bounds better than the other coaches in the league?  Was Chad's offseason trade strategy and comment a reasnoble assesment or just simply arrogant?  Coach Cynthia and Coach Nicky must've felt good knocking 2 of Chad's 3 teams out of the playoffs, but Chad justifies his losses with validity with kickers not making field goals, coaches hitting the B button during coin tosses and an injury plagued Eagle team that had virtually no shot.  Brad and Chad are still the only two coaches who have even BEEN to the Super Bowl since the new era of Tecmo Bowl...will the trend continue?  Will new competition rise without the smoke of controversial wins? 

"Even though the league has so far been dominated by me and Coach Chad, I think the other coaches have a legit chance of making a run for the (Super) Bowl. (Coach Brad said talking to media after the Super Bowl win)  Coach Don had my best team (Dolphins) on the ropes with the Raiders.  One play could've springed him into the Super Bowl, and without some fumble help in the Giants 49ers game who knows how close that would've been."

Trade season is upon us, and the new season then begins...will it be another playoff dominated by Coach Brad/Chad?  Or will a new power rise to make it to the Super Bowl?

Time will tell.

Edited by shadowhooch

1998 PRESS CONFERENCE:

Brad once again wins the Superbowl with Seattle -- his 3rd in 4 seasons -- and for the second straight year gets both sides (his AFC team and his NFC team) to the Superbowl.

"Luckers!"

Those were the words shouted at the end of the 1998 Techmo Super Bowl III season.  The score was 14-13 in favor of coach Shin, Cowboys vs. Vikings.  He was driving toward the end zone, Aikman makes a quick pass to his reciever Kevin Williams.  Making a great spin move with his sites soley fixed on getting in the end zone, he gets to the 1 yard line just as a Viking grabs him from behind.  Williams streches his hand out to get the ball over the endzone but then...

blooobbloobbloob

Silence struck the Cowboys bench, as the ball teatered into the endzone and recovered by the Vikings for a touchback.  Shin, still winning, recovered quickly by picking coach Brad's next play on offense.  Things were not looking good for coach Brad.  Fighting his way to the first down marker, it was 4th and 3.

"If there was ever a time that I KNEW coach Nick was gonna pick a run play, it was then.  It was my only shot of getting 'the big play' that I needed, and it worked out perfectly." Coach Brad said proudly.

Jim Everett completed a 45 yard pass to Jake Reed, putting them well within field goal range.  After a few plays, Coach Nick looked on with a hopeful yet fearful eyes as the Vikings lined up to kick their field goal with just :04 seconds left.  The Cowboys had not felt the struggle of being behind throughout the whole game, but they were about feel the pain of defeat as the ball went through the uprights.

"We couldn't run the ball." Coach Brad said with frustration, "Something has to be done about our running game.  But they toughed it out, it was a tough yardage game, and they did what they needed to in order to win, so I'm proud of them for that."

Coach Brad let his teams duke it out in the Super Bowl, where the Seahawks answered the question that was on everyone's mind.

What are the Vikings doing in the Super Bowl?

Seattle answered that question with 7 interceptions, became the Super Bowl Champs once again and is the first team to win 2 Championships in the new era of Techmo Bowl.

Coach Brad has only lost ONE game in post season play, (Broncos over Dolphins '96 season) and has gone undefeated in 3 post seasons out of 4.  Can anyone stop his dynasty of triumph?  Will there NEVER be another coach to make it to the Super Bowl besides Coach Brad and Chad?

Only next season has the answer to that.  Trade season is at hand!

2000 PRESS CONFERENCE

In the 1999 season, Coach Brad won yet AGAIN.  His Dolphins secured a victory over his arch rival Coach Chad's Saints.  So coach Brad has now won the first 4 of 5 Tecmo Coaching season. 

For the 2000 season, Brad's main competitor coach Chad had a disasterous trade season and none of hisbeaten down teams made the playoffs.  With his nemisis out of the picture, Brad confidently strode into the 2000 playoffs with little doubt who would win it all.......but little did he know the student would suddenly become the master as long-time player Coach Nicky won his first Superbowl ever with his star create-a-player QB Awesome Dubway.

QB AWESOME DUBWAY you just won the superbowl! what are you going to do next?

A. Dubway:  I'm going to disneyworld!!!! 

Reporter: coach nicky, this is your first tecmo superbowl win, how do you feel?

Coach nicky: I FEEL GREAT!!! this group of players fought hard, there were times when we thought it might not happen, but we knew what we could do, and WE DID IT!!!! you know we almost didn't make the postseason, and when we did make it, we had to play 4 tough teams in the steelers, dolphins, raiders, and those giants played a heck of a game, you've got to give credit to them, and to Coach Brad, he knows what he's doing.

Reporter: coach, Awesome Dubway had a 100% completion rate with two touchdowns, how big was that?

Coach nicky: aw, that was huge, you can't give him enough credit. you know he was feeling excellent the entire game. it just goes to show you that this kid is a big game QB.

but lets not forget about the rest of the players. i mean this is a team, jimmy, andre, gsteelers, gcardinals, pep, eric, all the way down to the O-line, everybody did their part, and they all get credit too.

Reporter:  some people are calling this team the best in history, what say you? and who do you think the browns franchise player is going to be? 

Coach nicky: i say all that big talk don't mean doodly squat but, we're GOOD! we won because we stuck together and executed the game plan! and AWESOME DUBWAY is without a doubt our franchise player.. . the guy doesn't miss! he's awesome!!!!

Reporter: this question is for G cardinals-- on the openning drive, describe the interception in the endzone.. .

G cardinals: well we had been tryin' to stop they're passing attack, and we did! i don't think they had a single passing yard, all game they ran the ball and you have to give credit to Pep, he was keeping their running game bottled up as best he could, and coach was putting the players where they needed to be. i just gotta give him all the credit, he told me just to do what i do, and i did.. . but yeah i knew the importance of stopping that drive, they tried to put the ball in the air and i was there!!!!

Reporter: this question is for Jim brown--  Jim, two touchdowns, how do you feel?

J. brown:  the big one was just before halftime, Coach was just trying to get the field goal lined up so that we could put up some more points and i broke a couple tackles for a 'big gainer' and there wasn't any stopping me i put the TD in just as time ran out, it was great! i feel great! 

Reporter: coach nicky, some say that your new 'all dime' defense has 'broken' the game, could you expound on that a little, and then we'll let you go we're all sure you are ready to party it up with the team a bit.. .

Coach nicky: no comment! see you all next season.. . 

2001 PRESS CONFERENCE

The new dynasty continued as Coach Nicky won his 2nd straight Superbowl with the great team he built in Cleveland.

Andre Rison!!!! you've just won the superbowl, what are you going to do next?

A. Rison: I'M GOING TO DISNEYWORLD!!!! i love this team! Cleveland Browns! Back to back champs!! We did what we do!!!

reporter: AWESOME, Awesome Dubway, you've done it again! Does this victory justify you being chosen as the teams' franchise player last year, over Jim Brown?

A. Dubway: It's just another superbowl.. .and no, i don't need to talk about Jim Brown, he decided to leave the team and prove to everyone else that he deserved to be the franchise player, didn't Jim lose to the Dolphins, thats right he did, so.. .Nuff Said. 

reporter: Coach Nicky!, great game! your players were magnificent!

Coach nicky: i know! You have to give a lot of credit to Coach Cynthia, she was beating us for nearly the entire game. but don't EVER count this team out! EVER!! the 4th quarter started with a bang, A. Dubway to A. Rison, Touchdown! A. Rison had a great game! he's the superbowl MVP, i think he just earned himself a contract extension.. . 6 catches, 168 yards, 1 TD. he came up big with that catch, it tied the game at 14! We are the superbowl champs, we have won two straight championships, we have won seven straight playoff games.. . 

reporter: Coach, your 'all dime' defense has changed the dynamic of the game, other coaches have started incorporating it into their defensive scheme, could you expound on that and then we'll let you go, we all know you'd like to get back there with the team and celebrate.

Coach nicky: Well, i'll not give away our recipe for winning so i'll just say this, the last time we lost, was three years ago, to the Dolphins. After that loss, i took the team in a new direction, if the other coaches can find a use with it, thats fine. It is a new element to the game, that much is certain.. . see everyone next season.. .   

In 2002, old school coach Don won his first Superbowl with the Raiders.

Then in 2003 our newest Tecmo player -- coach Cynthia -- won her first Superbowl ever.

Both refrained from a press conference after their first wins. 

Coach Don won again with the Raiders in 2004.

Then Nicky resurged back to the Superbowl scene in 2005 with our first NFC Superbowl Champ -- the Greenbay Packers.

Coach Don wasn't finished with his Raiders yet though.  His Raiders roared back in 2006 and won their 3rd Superbowl.....and then Coach Don who grew up playing old-school talking football decided it was time to strut his stuff a little:

2006 PRESS CONFERENCE

Oakland Raiders 35 Washington Redskins l0 \

It was over at Half Time, 2l-0, with touchdowns being scored by 3 different players.

WR- James Jett, who may be the fastest man in the game, out ran Daryl Green for a long touchdown

pass from QB Vnnie Testerverde. .

WR- Tim Brown who jumped up to catch another touchdown bomb from QB Vnnie Testerverde

RB- Eminitt Smith finished off a 53 yard spectacular run. Emmitt Smith finistred with exactly

200 yards rushing.

Coach Don is one of the few in the garne that has a priority of upgrading the Offensive Line.It has

paid off as the Monster Created Players have not been a factor against the Raiders. Also the Coach Don has

expressed his dislike of Created Players and this team does not have one on the Raiders. He has also

upgraded the Linebackers which is another area others coaches ignore. His Defense is hard to score on.

This seasoned Coach, who had his start playing Talking Monday Night Football and dominated that

league, now has taken this team to 3 Super Bowls. He called a near perfect game.  It is now time to say he

is a Hall of Fame Coach who fears no one and may be the best of all times.

In 2007, Coach Brad was quick to put down Coach Don's assertation that he was the best of all times.  Brad was STILL 1 up on him with Superbowl trophies. 

Now after the 2007 playoffs, he was now 2 up on him as Coach Brad secured his 5th Superbowl trophy winning with the Dolphins once again.

In 2008, coach Chad -- the coach with the highest overall winning percentage but with just 1 Superbowl trophy under his belt -- finally re-entered the Superbowl winners circle with his Bengals once again.

And in 2009, coach Nick finally won with his "better than Barry Sanders" create-a-running back Jeeves on the Kansas City Chiefs.

The 2010 season is upon us and coach Brad (5 trophies) is feeling the pressure from coach Nick (4 trophies) and targeted all of Nick's teams in the offseason.  However, Brad's teams would see the worst of the trade exchanges and playoffs chances look bleak for the cocky front-runner.  Will coach Nick catch Brad this year?  Will coach Aaron -- who is a new coach and narrowly missed winning the Superbowl in 2009 -- win his first this year?  Onward with the game play.

Shadow, where are you guys based out of ?

I love seeing another active TSB3 league out there. I'm not a coach player myself, but love reading about it and it sounds like alot of fun. I'd be interested in potentially joining you guys, depending on the time constraints and travel.

Hey Spectre,

We are in the STL and play on a real-life SNES machine -- which is now dubbed the Super Tecmo Bowl III player because we do not dare take the game out for fear of deleting our precious.

If you lived in the area, we'd totally have you in.  But looks like you are in the PA.  Good to see your still playin the best football game ever created.  Thanks for the interest!

Okay...missed the most classic post-game Superbowl conference ever.  Of course it is from the self-proclaimed "best coach" Brad after his 2007 Superbowl victory with his Dolphins:

Have you ever seen the movie 'Lean on Me'?

The story takes place in Eastside High School; a multicultural school in New Jersey. Mr. Joe Clark is an assertive strong willed man who takes pride in his work and his school. Due to unexpected school board cuts, Mr. Clark is forced to make decisions about his future at Eastside High. He leaves and goes to an elementary school. Eastside High takes an unexpected turn for the worst.

Rather than being a place of security and a place to get an education, Eastside High is now a place where you can get killed and learn lessons on life on the streets. The students lack respect of the school itself, the faculty, the students and the education in which they are all taking for granted. The school board is faced with low test scores and high drug use rates. They turn to Mr. Clark. Mr. Clark comes into the school and is awestruck. He knows that changes need to be made and how to make it so that Eastside high is the school he left several years ago.

It was a struggle for Mr. Clark.  Many backlashes erupted from the students, the community, and even his staff.  Through painstaking efforts and facing all odds, Mr. Clark was able to turn it around and make the school respectable once again.

The same could be said for Coach Brad Vitale of The Super Tecmo Bowl League.  It was once a league of integrity.  A league that was pure.  A league of greatness.  But jealousy among his peers grew like a cancer.  Conspiracy plans were made to disrupt the flow of the prosperity of the league and Coach Brad.  The other coaches mobbed him.  Constantly trading against his teams and stealing his humble and modest players until he was stripped to nothing.  Created players and game-breaking Hall of Famers crept into the league causing unbeatable super teams which tainted its pureness and corrupted its veracity.  Who would bring honor back to the world of Tecmo Bowl?  Who would restore its strength and vigor?  Its respectability and legitimacy?

Coach Brad.  Thats who.  Taking the lowly Miami Dolphins armed with nothing but a 3rd tier running back and a back-up quarterback he led his mediocre team (at best) to the Super Bowl and became the 2007 World Tecmo Bowl Champion.  He surpassed the heavy hitting Broncos coached by Coach Chad, who is widely considered the Marty Schottenheimer coach of Tecmo Bowl.  He helped the Dolphins flip past the make-believe Chiefs who are littered with broken created fantasy players and coach Shin, who buys his Championships with super teams.  Finally, he turned the Rams to lambs, besting Coach Don in a turnover filled Super Bowl 35-21. 

"Coach Brad.  If you  could sum up this win in what word what word would that?"

With that, he replied...

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymXAZx5Xtk

Coach Brad has gone through troubling times being ganged up on over the off-season by his peers,  having the burden of trying to beat 'super teams' with teams that did not match in adequacy, and what he believes as a string of 'bad luck' in many of his post-season losses.  Coach Brad continues to reign as the greatest all-time Tecmo Bowl Champion with 5 championships.  Coach Don and Shin, not even within arms reach, are tied with a modest 3 championships.  

On the 5th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...5 championship rings!

Trade Season is upon us.

Free Mr. Clark!  

• 8 months later...

Hey Spectre,

We are in the STL and play on a real-life SNES machine -- which is now dubbed the Super Tecmo Bowl III player because we do not dare take the game out for fear of deleting our precious.

If you lived in the area, we'd totally have you in.  But looks like you are in the PA.  Good to see your still playin the best football game ever created.  Thanks for the interest!

I'm also a Pennsylvaniac .  Adams County near Gettysburg specifically if anyone else is out that way.

• 4 years later...

Update to this Coaching league....we made it through 20 seasons, from 1995 through 2015.  And in the middle of playoffs in 2016, alas....it was mysteriously erased.  All the seasons of trades; all the created players, all of it gone.

But with every death brings new life.  We've taken this opportunity to take a step back and see how we can better fit Tecmo into all of our now busy lives.

Instead of manually skipping through seasons and coaching the playoffs, we will now handle everything through Preseason mode so there is no more risk of erasing progress.

We hated that 20 years of mixing up the rosters was gone.  One cool thing is that Preseason mode allows you to put any player on any team -- even free agents and greats (once you unlock them).  So we are holding the first ever Tecmo draft (fantasy football style) with 32 teams and 8 coaches.  Each coach will take turns drafting a player for one of their 4 controlled teams.  It's pretty interesting how everyone is building their teams.

Once completed, we will setup the 32 team tournament with coaches having 1 team in each quadrant.  

We are still technologically challenged and play with SNES.  But we are now going to branch out to coaching via Skype as some of the key coaches have moved away.  They will simply signal to a non-playing coach what play they want to pick while they are watching the game live.  Skype has also allowed us to reconnect with some of the coaches we used to play with in the 90's.  Coaching is so easy, we are even getting the next generation involved.  Should be a good time.

5 hours ago, slim_jimmy7 said:

That's fantastic, if you ever need help in working with save states and emulators/ online play, let me know!

We've got a couple of coaches trying out some online emulators.  Not sure if we are having great success yet.

I realized I needed a real controller as I couldn't figure out how to use a keyboard with one emulator I tried. 

And on the downside, I accidentally mis-clicked and got the SlimCleaner+ popups and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Alas, we are technologically challenged as a group as we have ages 9 - 67 playing in the league :)

Eventually, we'd like to broadcast/save so other coaches can see the games.  And since we are spread across the US, would like to use a simple emulator instead of Skype.  We'll make due until then.

29 minutes ago, shadowhooch said:

We've got a couple of coaches trying out some online emulators.  Not sure if we are having great success yet.

I realized I needed a real controller as I couldn't figure out how to use a keyboard with one emulator I tried. 

And on the downside, I accidentally mis-clicked and got the SlimCleaner+ popups and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Alas, we are technologically challenged as a group as we have ages 9 - 67 playing in the league :)

Eventually, we'd like to broadcast/save so other coaches can see the games.  And since we are spread across the US, would like to use a simple emulator instead of Skype.  We'll make due until then.

Hey guys, one of the original coaches in this league here - stepped away due to moving away in the mid-90s but now back in it; about 90 minutes away from Shadow and most of the Coaches. Shadow and I tried testing out connecting to each other and playing using the same ROM/Emulator but we couldn't get it straight (we tried using LogMeIn but I think we were missing a step or two). I do have OBS and I know I could stream the games on my PC but we'd need to get everyone online figuratively and literally.

As an aside, we are drafting 37 rounds and that may be the most challenging aspect of the league - over a week into the draft and we're in Round 5! Anyway, we'd love to have feedback from you about the league and I'd be happy to answer questions you may have (I'm in Discord as well). Who knows, maybe we'll post the draft results and get your thoughts on it?

On 1/23/2019 at 11:31 AM, slim_jimmy7 said:

my discord is the same as my username here if you need help with getting connected.

If we go that route I will look you up.

Do you know if there's any TSB III ROMS with the All-Time Greats unlocked without having to win three straight Super Bowls?

• 2 months later...

First ever? 32 team fantasy-style Tecmo Superbowl III draft is complete.  We have 8 coaches, and...very conveniently, if you include Free Agents and Greats, you have enough players for 32 full teams.  Each coach took a very different strategy to the draft -- one went after QBs and OL, another went after RBs and defense, another went after D-Line, one coach got super WRs, and another built a super secondary.  Each roster on the roster tab is color coded to show their strengths and weaknesses (green for top quartile and red for bottom quartile ranking).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DNbX6MzL7Vlvsap_SkD-rDKefiWMHWJPPC9ZTOd6OlY/edit#gid=584047505

Now the 32 team tournament begins.  In theory, all teams are equally balanced in talent.  Will coaching skills prevail (coaching league) or will a draft strategy prove superior?  Whose team looks the best on paper?  Let the games begin!

• 6 months later...
We have completed Round 1 of the 32 team tournament from the Tecmo re-draft coaching league. In NBA Jam style, here are the top duos from each team and who beat who. Obviously, strengths and weaknesses of each team are more complex -- as noted by the color coded rosters.
Chad (DEN) QB Randall Cunningham & S G Seahawks defeat
Don (RAM) QB Steve Young & TE Eric Green

Brad (MIA) QB Dan Marino & RB Leonard Russell defeat
Cynthia (WAS) RB G Bears & QB Vinny Testaverde

Riley (NYJ) RB Emmitt Smith & S Eric Turner defeat
Mike (DET) QB Jim Kelly & WR Tim Brown

Nick (KC) CB G Cardinals & CB G Raiders defeat
Steve (NE) RB Marshall Faulk & WR Michael Haynes

Nick (CLE) WR G Steelers & WR Andre Rison defeat
Don (RAI) DE G Raiders & QB Jeff Hostetler

Mike (BUF) QB G Niners & RB Terry Allen defeat
Steve (PHI) QB Warren Moon & WR Herman Moore

Brad (ATL) RB G Bears & CB Rod Woodson defeat
Chad (SD) QB Jim Everett & RB Bills

Riley (CAR) DT G Rams & RB Byron Morris defeat
Cynthia (OIL) QB Troy Aikman & WR Michael Irvin

Riley (JAX) QB Drew Bledsoe & WR Michael Timpson defeat
Steve (NYG) RB Natrone Means & QB Jeff George

Mike (TB) RB G Raiders & QB Bernie Kosar defeat
Cynthia (SF) QB Boomer Esiason & RB Kijana Carter

Chad (NO) QB G Jets & DE G Rams defeat
Nick (GB) RB G Browns & CB G Patriots

Don (ARI) QB John Elway & WR Anthony Miller defeat
Brad (TEX) QB Stan Humphries & RB Rodney Hampton

Steve (DAL) RB Barry Sanders & CB Deion Sanders defeat
Don (PIT) DT G Steelers & RB Jerome Bettis

Nick (BAL) WR Jerry Rice & WR G Chargers defeat
Cynthia (CHI) RB Barry Foster & WR G Redskins

Brad (SEA) RB Chris Warren & DL Reggie White defeat
Mike (IND) QB Bobby Hebert & T G Bengals

Chad (CIN) QB Brett Favre & S G Redskins defeat
Riley (MIN) CB G Steelers & S G Cardinals

• 2 months later...

Round 2 of the 32 team coaching league complete.  Results below highlighting top 2 players from each team (NBA Jam style)

Brad (MIA) QB Dan Marino & RB Leonard Russell defeat
Chad (DEN) QB Randall Cunningham & S G Seahawks

Riley (NYJ) RB Emmitt Smith & S Eric Turner defeat
Nick (KC) CB G Cardinals & CB G Raiders 

Mike (BUF) QB G Niners & RB Terry Allen defeat
Nick (CLE) WR G Steelers & WR Andre Rison

Brad (ATL) RB G Bears & CB Rod Woodson defeat
Riley (CAR) DT G Rams & RB Byron Morris

Mike (TB) RB G Raiders & QB Bernie Kosar defeat
Riley (JAX) QB Drew Bledsoe & WR Michael Timpson

Chad (NO) QB G Jets & DE G Rams defeat
Don (ARI) QB John Elway & WR Anthony Miller