IPS Utility and Instructions

Coach_Bama

I'm posting the Lunar IPS patching utility, and instructions on how to use it. For several IPS patches, see Bruddog's thread, New hacking guidebook plus ROM patches and tools. The IPS patches are in the ipspatchesfornewhacks folder, contained within the download he has posted. There are other IPS files located here on this website,too, so just browse around. The Lunar utility is also located in Bruddog's download, but I'm posting it here, along with instructions, for convenience.

Upon launch, you'll have 4 choices: Apply IPS Patch, Create IPS Patch, Create a Log File, and About LIPS. I'll explain the first two; I don't know what the log file does and the last one is self-explanatory.

To apply a patch to a ROM:

1. Click on the button, Apply IPS Patch.

2. The dialogue box will tell you to select an IPS file; browse for it and choose

3. The dialogue box will tell you to select a ROM to apply the IPS file to; browse and choose

4. The utility will apply the patch

WARNING: Always make sure you apply a patch to a copy of a ROM, not the original ROM. To copy a file, right-click on the file, and choose "copy". You can apply multiple IPS patches to the same ROM; however, it's possible that some patches will overwrite a previous patch or parts of it. You'll have to experiment. That's another reason to back up your ROMs with copies.

To create an IPS patch:

1. Click on the button, Create IPS Patch.

2. The dialogue box will tell you to select an unmodified file; browse for it and choose.

3. The dialogue box will tell you to select a modified file; browse and choose.

4. You will be given a "save as" dialogue box; choose a name for your IPS file and browse (if you choose) for a folder

to save it in. If you don't choose a folder, the file will be saved in the folder of the modified file that you used.

5. The utility will create a file with a .ips extension (this is the patch).

Before you create a patch using the Lunar utility, you take a ROM and make a copy of it. Then, you modify the copy in whatever way you want, using some sort of software tool such as a hex editor or a tile editor (there are threads in the Tecmo Hacking Documentation section of this website with info on that kind of stuff). These are the two files you will use to create a patch with Lunar. Basically, whatever change you made to the copy of the ROM is what will be contained in the patch.

For example: Let's say you want to play 10 minute quarters on all of your ROMs. Well, you could use a hex editor and load all of your ROMs, one by one, find the hex address, and put in the new value. Or, you could load just one ROM in a hex editor, make the change, and use that ROM to make an IPS file. That way, you could apply the IPS file to all the other ROMs in a fraction of the time. You need to be careful, however. Any and all changes made on the modified ROM will be applied to the patch. If you used a copy of the original TSB ROM, loaded it (the copy) in a hex editor, changed the byte that determines the quarter-length, and then used that copy of the ROM (along with the original ROM) to make an IPS file, then the only thing applied to the IPS patch will be the quarter-length change. However, let's say you took a college ROM, with all the differences it has from the original TSB ROM, and changed the quarter-length on it. Then, you took the original TSB ROM and the college ROM (with the new quarter-length) and used them to make an IPS file. Then, you would have an IPS file that not only had the quarter-length changed, but every other difference between the college ROM and the original TSB ROM, including roster names, large and mini helmet designs, title screen changes, etc.

Got it?

Whew.

ANYhoo, using the Lunar patching utility is extremely easy. It takes much less time to use than it did for me to explain. If you can figure out how to download an emulator and load a ROM and play a game, then you can patch a ROM with Lunar. The program will lead you through the process. Creating a patch isn't much harder, despite my long-winded example.

Hopefully, this will take some of the mystery away from IPS patches. This community would benefit from more IPS activity. By the way, if you want to try an easy patch, just try my uniform hacks. Ha! Another shameless plug! :lol:

Don't forget the ones found in the link at the top of this thread, too; Bruddog has compiled several good ones, and there's more scattered around the site.

Just remember: ALWAYS back up your ROMs before you apply a patch. Always!

Lunar IPS patching utility.zip

• 2 years later...

bump - moved these great instructions into the new IPS section. If the length of the first post intimidates you as a newcomer, don't let it. IPS patching really is a 2 or 3 step process that can be done in 10 seconds or less. Bama just went the extra mile to explain certain pitfalls you should be aware of. Basically, always patch copies of your roms and always test the rom after a patch, as certain hacks may try to use the same "free" space. That really is only a concern with a rom with either a high number of hacks or complicated hacks though (like the 32 team rom).

Anyway, it is very simple, just try it once on a copy and you'll see...

I actually think this is a fantastic idea. The more IPS we have, the less noobs will have to worry about editing hex, and it also gives people tangible hack files that can easily be downloaded.

The only downside is the hacks that require a variable, such as quarter length are not convenient because for every option, you need an IPS. for example, if I want 5, 6, and 7 minute quarter options, I need three IPS patches. With a SET patch, I have one patch and just change one number.

What if we write a program that contains all the hacks built in and people can just pick and choose what to apply? That way certain hacks couldnpromptnthenuser for input if needed.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

I actually think this is a fantastic idea. The more IPS we have, the less noobs will have to worry about editing hex, and it also gives people tangible hack files that can easily be downloaded.

The only downside is the hacks that require a variable, such as quarter length are not convenient because for every option, you need an IPS. for example, if I want 5, 6, and 7 minute quarter options, I need three IPS patches. With a SET patch, I have one patch and just change one number.

What if we write a program that contains all the hacks built in and people can just pick and choose what to apply? That way certain hacks couldnpromptnthenuser for input if needed.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

I've always felt we've been headed this way except a web based program instead of a downloadable one....like Nighthawk's old RBI editor

It would be REALLY easy to build...you'd have the page allow you to use the base ROM or upload your own...

I suppose if you take the attribute editing out of the editor