Stopping Fumbles After Touchdowns

tecmobo

Today I had a thought - since ball carriers never seem to fumble while being tackled out of bounds, shouldn't it be possible to stop fumbles from occurring after the ball carrier crosses into the End Zone as well?

I posed this question to Jstout, and he first confirmed that fumbling while out of bounds is not possible in the orig rom, then whipped up some code right-quick for how to stop post-touchdown fumbles as well!

x28698 ($8688):
4C 40 BF JMP CODE
EA NOP
EA NOP
EA NOP

x2BF50 ($BF40):
A5 73 LDA $73
29 20 AND $20
D0 0B BNE :+
A5 71 LDA $71
29 10 AND #$10
C9 10 CMP #$10
F0 03 BEQ :+
4C 8E 86 JMP RETURN
4C E8 86 : JMP $86E8

This code is brand new as of today so it still needs some testing in various scenarios, but once we get this nailed down I think we might see this hack become standard in most leagues. No more bothering with making rules for late tackles, losing stats when an owner causes a post-TD fumble, or punishing the repeat offenders. Plus it allows for all of us to get in on the late-hit action, which has always felt like it should be part of tecmo. Not to mention it can be a great stress reliever :lol:

EDIT: IPS and Hacked Rom attached

No Post TD Fumbles.rar

Bah. Tackling after a TD to cause a fumble is one of the great feel-good moments for the defeated! I would feel great loss at the exclusion of it!

This is mainly for leagues, almost all of which do not allow late tackling. It is especially useful for the pg leagues.

Awesome!

This may be a dumb question, but does tackling in the end zone (or out of bounds) effect players conditions?

Player conditions can only change at the end of each quarter and are random (not based on stats), so without being 100% sure I'd say no.

Today I had a thought - since ball carriers never seem to fumble while being tackled out of bounds, shouldn't it be possible to stop fumbles from occurring after the ball carrier crosses into the End Zone as well?

I posed this question to Jstout, and he first confirmed that fumbling while out of bounds is not possible in the orig rom, then whipped up some code right-quick for how to stop post-touchdown fumbles as well!

x28698 ($8688):
4C 40 BF JMP CODE
EA NOP
EA NOP
EA NOP

x2BF50 ($BF40):
A5 73 LDA $73
29 20 AND $20
D0 0B BNE :+
A5 71 LDA $71
29 10 AND #$10
C9 10 CMP #$10
F0 03 BEQ :+
4C 8E 86 JMP RETURN
4C E8 86 : JMP $86E8

This code is brand new as of today so it still needs some testing in various scenarios, but once we get this nailed down I think we might see this hack become standard in most leagues. No more bothering with making rules for late tackles, losing stats when an owner causes a post-TD fumble, or punishing the repeat offenders. Plus it allows for all of us to get in on the late-hit action, which has always felt like it should be part of tecmo. Not to mention it can be a great stress reliever :lol:

If you have one, please upload a modded rom

This is awesome.

This makes wonder: Does Tecmo erase stats after fumbles in general (not just post-TD fumbles)? I think it does. I guess my question is, is Tecmo's treatment of fumbles and stats in line with the NFL's rules?

any fumble erases the stats that occurred before it. INT, Catch, Long Run, TD, whatever.

This is awesome.

This makes wonder: Does Tecmo erase stats after fumbles in general (not just post-TD fumbles)? I think it does. I guess my question is, is Tecmo's treatment of fumbles and stats in line with the NFL's rules?

any fumble erases the stats that occurred before it. INT, Catch, Long Run, TD, whatever.

Correct. Sorry I should have made that more clear. And Bruddog tells me the NFL tracks all yards up to the point of the fumble, meaning TSB is not in line with how the NFL tracks stats on fumbles. It would also be awesome if we could get TSB to track everything up to the point of the fumble (and also if we could track fumbles themselves), but a hack that does that would be considerably more complicated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This is awesome.

I assume this hack only works after TDs, so is there a hack that fixes this so stats are kept after any/all fumbles?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There's something different that happens here when the player catches the ball in the endzone.  I'm trying to create plays and I noted a WR fumbling immediately after a catch in the endzone a few weeks ago.  I just now checked the code.  It's the same (I used ctrl+f).  It's in a different location (@2bf74), but the jump command is 4c 64 bf, so that shouldn't be a problem.  I don't know if the stats were changed because I was testing and it's was a preseason game.  Just a note.

• 1 year later...
  • Knobbe changed the title to Stopping Fumbles After Touchdowns