Play TSB for Tsunami Victims!

Let's use some competitive Tecmo to benefit the Red Cross and their massive job in helping Japan's survivors in the aftermath of the tsunami!

Season Challenge: Steelers "Steel Curtain" Defense

Here's how it works:

Reply to this post with a pledge as to how much you will donate to the Red Cross for each point the Steelers D allows against the CPU during the regular season. The only rule is that no NTD is allowed. (I am doing $0.10, but more talented players on the forum may want to go higher!) Any amount you pledge is awesome.

At the end of the regular season, reply to this post with a screenshot of the "AFC Central Team Standings" (shows your record, points scored, points allowed) and the amount you donated to the Red Cross based on your pledge.

Below is the link to donate to the Red Cross Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Fund:

Let's play some Tecmo for a good cause :)

- Ryan McKay (UltimateWeapon)

Participants:

UltimateWeapon (Pledge: $0.10 for every point allowed vs. CPU)

Bodom18 (Pledge: $0.10 for every point allowed vs. CPU, $0.10 for every point below 35 points scored on offense)

fatcheerleader (Pledge: $0.10 for every point allowed vs. CPU)

Week 1: Steelers 37 - Chargers 3

Warren Williams accounted for 125 total yards and the Steelers dominated the Chargers in Week 1. The Chargers drove down the field mixing the pass and run on the first drive of the game en route to a 3-0 lead. However, the Steelers retaliated early and often scoring 37 unanswered points. A long pass from Tolliver to Miller was negated in the 3rd quarter when Woodruff gave a vicious hit and recovered the fumble. The "D" also got solid contributions from the front seven as they held Marion Butts to only 39 yards on 13 carries. They forced the Chargers to become a one dimensional football team and San Diego felt the heat. Several times in the 3rd and 4th quarter the Steelers anticipated the play call and blitzed Tolliver relentlessly. One blitz even resulted in a late safety. "We came to play today", said Greg Lloyd. "A lot of people read too much into the first few weeks of the season. We just need to focus on our next game and play Steeler football."

Week 2: Steelers 40 - Bills 7

The Steelers won the toss, opted to receive, and Dwight Stone promptly raced over 90 yards to paydirt. The Steelers forced the Bills to punt on their first possession and drove down into the red zone only to settle for 3 after Warren Williams dropped a pass at the 2 yard line. A completion would have given them a fresh set of downs. Buffalo fired back making it 10-7 when QB Bills threw a touchdown to Thurman Thomas to come within 3 even though Rod Woodson was all over him. Dwight Stone then had another nice return only to get injured at the end of the run. Chris Calloway became his replacement and in "excellent condition" had several nifty long returns in his place. The Steelers went on to score 30 unanswered points routing the Bills 40-7. Derek Hill lead the team with 5 catches for 156 yards. "I have no idea how Thurman caught that TD pass in the first quarter," said Woodson. "9 times out of 10 I make the QB pay for that throw. I can't wait for the next 9 times they try it!"

post-10988-1341372900472_thumb.jpg

post-10988-13413729006103_thumb.jpg

Week 3: Steelers 46 - Patriots 7

Brister threw his first INT of the season when he overthrew Louis Lipps on the first play of the game. It didn't prove costly as the Steelers jumped out to a 25-0 lead on the legs and hands of Warren Williams who accounted for 109 total yards. Chris Calloway did his best Dwight Stone impersonation and took a punt over 50 yards for a score in the 2nd quarter. The Pats would cut the lead to 25-7 on Grogan to Fryer floater but would end up giving up 21 more points as the Pats "D" could find no answer for the Steelers balanced attack. Safety Thomas Everett picked Grogan off late in the game. "Grogan should have never thrown that pass", said Everett. "In fact, he shouldn't throw much at all with that arm of his... I'm surprised they don't run every play. He gets one lucky floater and all of a sudden, he thinks he's Joe Montana. Last time I checked, Montana doesn't wear a pink jersey... Although after today, Grogan's jersey will be mostly black and green from the beating he took!"

Week 4: Steelers 28 - Eagles 7

The Steelers improved to 4-0 on the season with a 28-7 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. Dwight Stone returned from injury and ran from the hospital all the way into the end zone taking his second kickoff back for a TD this year. Warren Williams ran 10 times for 79 yards and the Steelers balanced attack had little difficulty moving the chains. The Eagles scored late on a 4th quarter drive and TD run by Heath Sherman. They then recovered an onside kick but were not able to capitalize. The Steelers "D" was able to hold QB Eagles to 8 carries for 54 yards with the majority of those yards coming on one rush. Woodson shadowed QB Eagles for most of the game keeping him in the pocket and forcing him to make the tough throws. Tight End Eric Green had a nice catch and run late in the 3rd quarter shaking off several defenders in kelly green jerseys as he muscled his way into the red zone. "I hope other teams try to bring me down that way," said Green. "I just love arm tackles."

post-10988-13413729007362_thumb.jpg

post-10988-1341372900853_thumb.jpg

Week 5: Steelers 49 - Colts 3

Tim Worley fumbled on the opening handoff after being hit by Safety Keith Taylor. Taylor recovered the fumble deep in Steelers territory but the Pittsburgh "D" was able to hold them to 3 points. It would be the only points they would score all day as the Steelers scored a season high 49. Bubby Brister completed 87% of his passes for 229 yards and threw touchdowns to Tim Worley, Warren Williams, Eric Green, and Louis Lipps. Brister also added 2 rushing touchdowns. Donald Evans forced a fumble in the 3rd quarter when the Colts were backed up to their own end zone and took it in for the easy score. "I don't know why Jeff George held onto the ball for so long", said Evans, "I mean, I thought QB's had that clock in their head that tells them when to get rid of it... Maybe his clock needs some new batteries!"

Week 6: Steelers 17 - Giants 14

The Tecmo medical staff was busy in a defensive slugfest that saw the Steelers win 17-14 but lose starting QB Bubby Brister after a vicious horse collar tackle by Lawrence Taylor. "I'm glad the horse collar tackle rule hasn't been created yet", said LT. "I probably would have gotten a fine for that one..." Later in the game, Warren Williams twisted his ankle underneath a pile of blue jerseys and was carted off the field. However, the medical staff remained busy later helping Giants backup running back Maurice Carthon to the sideline after linebacker David Little hit him from behind. "If the Giants want to play dirty, that's just fine with us," said Little. "They didn't just lose the game - they lost a teammate for at least a couple of games... The best wins aren't because you win. It's making your opponent lose and making them fear us. It's hurts to lose to us in more ways than one!"

post-10988-13413729009616_thumb.jpg

post-10988-13413729010667_thumb.jpg

Week 7: Steelers 20 - Seahawks 16

The Steelers learned how difficult life can be without your starting QB and RB against the Seattle Seahawks. Pittsburgh struggled to get any offense through 3 quarters settling for just 2 field goals. Then backup QB Rick Strom threw 2 TD passes including an 80 yard Hail Mary to Derek Hill as time expired. The thrilling come from behind victory kept the Steelers undefeated at 7-0. "Rick was telling us in the huddle we were going to win," said Louis Lipps. "He stayed calm and took what the defense gave him even though we couldn't get our offense in gear until late in the game." Strom lauded his teammates after the game. "I have to give our defense credit... Seattle kept driving into our red zone and we only gave up 1 TD and 3 FG's. They gave us the chance to win. Then Louis made an unbelieveable catch at the end of the game! Did you see how high he jumped? It looked like he was breaking the laws of physics when he came down with that TD!"

Week 8: Steelers 42 - Browns 10

If Rick Strom keeps playing like this, we may have a QB controversy in Pittsburgh when Brister is healthy enough to play. Strom completed an astounding 90% of his passes and added another 69 yards rushing to lead the Steelers over the Browns 42-10. Merrill Hoge was benched for Tim Worley as the starting tailback after just 3 yards on 5 carries in last week's win over Seattle. "If this football thing doesn't pan out, I think I may try broadcasting," said Hoge. Even without leading rusher Warren Williams, the Steelers racked up 140 yards on 28 carries. Tim Worley had an impressive performance after replacing Hoge catching 5 passes for 94 yards and adding another 60 on the ground. The Pittsburgh front seven was dominating holding the Browns to 88 rushing yards and only 19 passing yards. Through their first 8 games, the Steelers have only given up 67 total points.

post-10988-13413729011807_thumb.jpg

post-10988-1341372901286_thumb.jpg

Let's use some competitive Tecmo to benefit the Red Cross and their massive job in helping Japan's survivors in the aftermath of the tsunami!

Here's how it works:

Reply to this post with a pledge as to how much you will donate to the Red Cross for each point the Steelers D allows against the CPU during the regular season. The only rule is that no NTD is allowed. (I am doing $0.10, but more talented players on the forum may want to go higher!) Any amount you pledge is awesome.

At the end of the regular season, reply to this post with a screenshot of the "AFC Central Team Standings" (shows your record, points scored, points allowed) and the amount you donated to the Red Cross based on your pledge.

Season Challenge Contest Duration:

March 19th - May 7th (8 weeks)

Optional:

Along your path to greatness, give brief writes up for the games you play with screenshots and post them in this thread (this is not required to win the Season Challenge, but it will make it a lot more fun). We want to hear about the goal line defensive stands led by David Little and the fumble recovery by Greg Lloyd for a TD in overtime! After you make it to the playoffs, we all want to hear about those games too (even though they don't count towards the challenge)!

Bragging Rights / Trophy

If we get at least 10 people signed up, I will purchase a trophy and mail it to the Knobbe member who gives up the fewest points over the course of the regular season (in order to be eligible, post a screenshot of the "AFC Central Team Standings" at the end of the regular season). If two Knobbe members have the same number of fewest points allowed, regular season record and total points scored on offense will be used as the tie-breakers.

Let's play some Tecmo for a good cause :)

- Ryan McKay (UltimateWeapon)

Participants:

UltimateWeapon (Pledge: $0.10 for every point allowed vs. CPU)

Sweet idea. I'll give this one a go, this week. I don't have time to do any write ups, but I'll post screenshots of the results. My wife and I already discussed donating a certain amount, but I'll go with the 10 cents also and will donate the higher of the two. I'm only using Woodson.

What's "no NTD" mean? I'm drawing a blank.

Sweet idea. I'll give this one a go, this week. I don't have time to do any write ups, but I'll post screenshots of the results. My wife and I already discussed donating a certain amount, but I'll go with the 10 cents also and will donate the higher of the two. I'm only using Woodson.

I'll do the same but will not be Woodson as I would only hinder his performance. I'll be Hardy Nickerson instead. I will play worse than Bodom so in the end I will donate more money then he will, thus, I win. It's good to know that my piss poor performance will finally help someone! :)

Ultimate Weapon, maybe you should re-name the thread so it's understood it's for the tsunami relief funds in some way. TSB for Tsunami?! I don't know. This cool idea shouldn't be mixed in with all the other traditional TSB challenge threads.

Thanks for participating! My wife and I made a donation as well and our hearts just really go out to the people impacted by this tragedy. I was trying to figure out how we could do more and came up with this idea. I hope a lot of Knobbe members participate.

I look forward to seeing your results. Good luck!

I'll do the same but will not be Woodson as I would only hinder his performance. I'll be Hardy Nickerson instead. I will play worse than Bodom so in the end I will donate more money then he will, thus, I win. It's good to know that my piss poor performance will finally help someone! :)

Ultimate Weapon, maybe you should re-name the thread so it's understood it's for the tsunami relief funds in some way. TSB for Tsunami?! I don't know. This cool idea shouldn't be mixed in with all the other traditional TSB challenge threads.

Thanks for participating! I think you had a great idea to rename the thread so I went ahead and changed it to "Play TSB for Tsunami Victims". Good luck and I look forward to seeing your results!

This is great

Can you put up some info about how one can donate to the Red Cross and then I'll do my best to make this viral

Thanks Rod! I added the link where people can donate directly to the Red Cross for Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami in my initial post. It is also posted again below:

Below is the link to donate to the Red Cross Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami Fund:

My rough and overly cautious guess...

6 shutouts and 10 games with 20pts avg = 200 points = $20 (big woop)

$20 > 0

Rod - I'm not being negative. I was just saying it's not that much to ask as for most of us it's just skipping one lunch out.

UltimateWeapon - At first, I thought you were doing the original Steelers Defensive Challenge in that you don't play offense, punt on 1st down, and I think you don't even kick FGs. It's all defense, punt returns, and kick returns. Then, I read your thread from top to bottom. I'll do it your way instead. And, I wish more people would write blogs of their seasons, dynasties, tournament experiences, and anything TSB themed. Keep it up.

My rough and overly cautious guess...

6 shutouts and 10 games with 20pts avg = 200 points = $20 (big woop)

$20 > 0

Rod - I'm not being negative. I was just saying it's not that much to ask as for most of us it's just skipping one lunch out.

UltimateWeapon - At first, I thought you were doing the original Steelers Defensive Challenge in that you don't play offense, punt on 1st down, and I think you don't even kick FGs. It's all defense, punt returns, and kick returns. Then, I read your thread from top to bottom. I'll do it your way instead. And, I wish more people would write blogs of their seasons, dynasties, tournament experiences, and anything TSB themed. Keep it up.

I'll up the ante a bit. I'll also donate 0.10 for every point below 35 points I score. This will prevent me from just running around in circles trying to run out the clock....not that you can do that with Pittsburgh's RBs, but it makes sense.

Fats - I just coached a season with the Niners. I'll post the results for you.

Two games in the books.

Buffalo with the JJ TD as time expired.

Wow! Pretty impressive to hold Marion Butts and Thurman Thomas to a combined 0 yards rushing even if it is the first two games of the season.

I picked runs all game. I think I actually picked 2 of Thurman's 3 run plays so it should be a negative! :)

Butts actually managed 5 yards.

Next up is NE (tomorrow). I'll be surprised if they get 1 yard.

Was a little off my game tonight - rushed to get this one in quick before I crash. Stephens broke a long one on me and I fumbled twice deep in my own territory. 9 points to the Pats in week 3 is pathetic.

Don't feel too bad... At least you didn't give up a Grogan touchdown like I did!

This one I picked pass all game and rushed in with Lloyd. Between picked plays and amazingly awesome skill, I recorded about 6 sacks. Stephens also fumbled twice. I was really hoping for the 0 yard shutout.

Game 9: Steelers 37 - Broncos 0

Bubby Brister and Warren Williams returned from injury to lead the Steelers to a 37-0 win over the Denver Broncos. It was the Steelers first shutout of the season. Warren Williams ran for a TD and added two more receiving TD's in the first half. Tim Worley in excellent condition had 9 carries for 122 yards and Mike Mularky in excellent condition stepped in for a banged up Louis Lipps to snag 2 TD passes from Brister in the second half. The defense was masterful forcing an INT by Elway the only time the Broncos were threatening to score. "Here we are in our 9th game and teams are still trying to throw on us" said Carnell Lake. "I hope they never learn!" The Broncos running attack didn't fare much better with Pro Bowl RB Bobby Humphrey gaining only 10 yards on 7 carries. Not only did Pittsburgh stop Denver's rushing attack, they ran the ball at will carrying 21 times for 196 yards receiving contributions from Tim Worley, Warren Wiliams, and Bubby Brister.

Game 10: Steelers 16 - Bengals 12

The Steelers held on to defeat the Bengals 16-12 in an AFC Central slugfest to improve to 10-0 on the season. Cincinnatti missed 2 FG's and had 2 extra points blocked by Greg Lloyd that could have been the difference. "Coach tells us to find a way to get it done" said Lloyd. "Today, I found a way through the offensive line to the kicker on those extra point attempts..." The Bengals had a beautiful TD run by James Brooks to start the game on their opening drive when he bounced off several defenders and high stepped into the end zone. Then right before the half, they added another TD on a desperation heave by Esiason with only a few ticks left on the clock. The Steelers held onto their 16-12 lead the remainder of the game even though they were forced to punt late and hold off Boomer Esiason's valient comeback attempt as he marched the Bengals down the field but didn't have enough time left on the clock to get into the end zone.

post-10988-13413729024928_thumb.jpg

post-10988-13413729027389_thumb.jpg