"Boneyard Bowl": Westlake, OH Tourney 5/14 - 10 spots left!

i am new to this tecmo game. but i think ill try to make it, im gonna try and get a few pales to make the trip with me. maybee this will replace my trip to L.A. owe bye the way how is the taxi service in this town?im a bit of a drinker and may need a ride back to my hotel. from time to time

i am new to this tecmo game. but i think ill try to make it, im gonna try and get a few pales to make the trip with me. maybee this will replace my trip to L.A. owe bye the way how is the taxi service in this town?im a bit of a drinker and may need a ride back to my hotel. from time to time

I have not personally used the taxi service in the Cleveland area, but there are several options as well as shuttle services from the Cleveland airport:

• 3 weeks later...
Still 9 spots left?

Still 9 spots open at the moment. On Sunday I dropped off some more flyers at the Gamestop in Westlake (the city where the tourney will be held) and plan to drop off a few more around neighboring cities. I actually got a few of the participants walking around the local mall (sports memorabilia shops, sport hat store, and places where people buy retro videogames) a while back and passing out flyers. It's pretty cool to explain the tourney to random people who are interested and see their reactions!

I also did an event post on Craigslist and the venue (The Boneyard) itself has put up flyers.

Anybody else have any suggestions on promoting to fill the remaining spots?

I would reccomend maybe going to the local colleges, Baldwin-Wallace, John Carroll, Ursuline, Case Western, Cleveland State, etc... Maybe even some of the high schools as well.

Even other restaurants, Chipotle, Subway, Romeo's Pizza, etc...

Also, should I sport the Steve Atwater jersey again? I have a Bo Jackson and Darrell Green one, so I'm thinking one of those maybe.

Hope the marketing ideas help bro!

I would reccomend maybe going to the local colleges, Baldwin-Wallace, John Carroll, Ursuline, Case Western, Cleveland State, etc... Maybe even some of the high schools as well.

Even other restaurants, Chipotle, Subway, Romeo's Pizza, etc...

Also, should I sport the Steve Atwater jersey again? I have a Bo Jackson and Darrell Green one, so I'm thinking one of those maybe.

Hope the marketing ideas help bro!

Hi John,

Thanks for the marketing ideas! I've also recently contacted several places that sell retro video games in the Cleveland area to generate some additional interest. Not sure if I'll have time to go to all of the local colleges but that is a good idea! I did put some flyers up at our local community college. Most restaurants will probably not promote it because the venue where the tourney is held is a competitor.

In regards to your jersey, Jackson, Atwater, or Green would be awesome! I will be rocking QB Eagles :lol: Looking forward to seeing you at the tourney in a few weeks!

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to check in one week before the tournament.

Registration starts @ 11:30AM and the draft will be held @ Noon with the games immediately following the draft. Please bring exact cash ($25) when registering.

Currently, we have 18 guys signed up. If you are unable to make it or know anybody else who would like to join us, let me know. Also, please bring any extra consoles, hookups, controllers, and cartridges you can get your hands on.

One additional twist - If you "win" your color coded bracket on either the winners or losers side, you will be able to select from the pool of defeated teams with the lowest remaining seed having first choice of selecting a new team. See attached demo bracket and let me know if you have any questions.

Looking forward to seeing all of you next week!

Ryan McKay

Boneyard Bowl Commissioner

[email protected]

28 Team Demo Bracket.pdf

i'm planning on going, might see if someone around here wants to tag along. If not it will be just my bro and me.

Did you give any thought to my ideal of just working out a practice model in your head to see if there are any troubles with the format. From our conversation in Cincy I think it will work but might have a couple of bugs. Also what happens if you don't get 28 cause its looking like that might happen.

After i booked my hotel room i took a look at the bracket myself. This is actually a better format than I thought. I'm not as worried about mismatches. I'm hoping that later on in the tourney that you can also take teams from the eliminated players. Naturally that team would have to be on the level with your opponent. But there are a couple of times where there will be some obvious mismatches. Mainly in the winners bracket when the blue winner plays the green and the yellow plays the top tier. Not to mention the games following those.

i'm planning on going, might see if someone around here wants to tag along. If not it will be just my bro and me.

Did you give any thought to my ideal of just working out a practice model in your head to see if there are any troubles with the format. From our conversation in Cincy I think it will work but might have a couple of bugs. Also what happens if you don't get 28 cause its looking like that might happen.

Hi Mort,

Glad you are and Louis are still planning on attending! I attached a sample bracket in my previous post. I also have designed double elimination brackets from 16 all the way up to 28 players. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Ryan

i should read your posts. yeah. i see you are doing that take a team if you win a bracket. I just think that you might have to do that again later on in the winners bracket or if anything ends up being too one sided. the thing scaring people off was the format but i really think this could work well. it will be different. sounds like fun. I'll try getting the vogts to come up. Matt might go not sure about his bro's. I got a friend up here who may or may not tag along.

Francis B. (Oilers) defeated Matt O. (49ers) 10-7 in the Championship game.

We had 18 confirm but ended up with 13 players (5 either didn't show up or emailed me late to cancel). The draft format with the ability to steal your opponents' team worked really well! I was surprised that the Giants lasted until 6 and that the Broncos went at number 8 ahead of the Raiders (9) and Chiefs (10).

Here was how the draft went:

1) SF - Louis B.

2) HOU - Matt O. - 2nd Place

3) BUF - Mike B. - 3rd Place

4) PHI - Eric

5) CHI - Sheldon S.

6) GIA - TK

7) DET - Dan K.

8) DEN - John R.

9) RAI - Francis B. - 1st Place

10) KC - Ryan M.

11) CIN - Nick C.

12) MIN - Sam S. - 4th Place

13) WAS - Matt B.

We had many close matchups but not many people opted to steal their opponents team until the later rounds. Almost all of the participants felt that the setup was very fair and liked that they didn't have to pick matchups or sides since that was all pre-determined by the draft and seeding.