"Boneyard Bowl": Westlake, OH Tourney 5/14 - 10 spots left!

The "Boneyard Bowl": 28-Man Tecmo Super Bowl Tourney

When: Saturday, May 14th, 2011- Registration starts @ 11:30 AM EST; Draft @ 12:00PM EST with games starting immediately following the draft.

Location: The Boneyard, 24940 Sperry Road, Westlake, OH, 44145. Website:

- The winner in either the winner's bracket or loser's bracket will have the option to keep their team or steal their opponent's team.

- When a player steals their opponent's team in the winner's bracket, the loser takes their opponent's team to the loser's bracket.

- When a player is eliminated from the loser's bracket, the remaining team (after their opponent chooses their preferred team) will also be eliminated.

- If the final two teams both end up with one loss, the Pro Bowl will be played for the title with the AFC as controller 1 and the NFC as controller 2.

- The player who lost their first game in the previous matchup will have first choice of team.

- The original rosters for the Pro Bowl teams will be used due to time constraints but lineup changes and playbook changes will be allowed.

Buy-in: $25 cash at the door (Price includes a $10 gift card for the venue – Make sure to try one of their legendary double burgers!)

Prizes: Trophy and cash prize awarded to tourney champion, cash for runner up, high scoring game, high passing game, and high rushing game. A portion of the proceeds will go towards charity. The Boneyard has also generously agreed to donate a portion of the sales during the event towards charity as well!

*Please see attached PDF files for official flyer, rules, and 28-man bracket*

Signup: E-mail [email protected] by May 7th, 2011

Equipment Information: 4 TVs will be provided by the venue. I will provide 4 original NES top loader consoles, 4 copies of the greatest sports game of all time, controllers, and the adapters. We will not require any additional TV's but please bring backup consoles, cartridges, adaptors, and controllers. Let me know what you are able to bring when registering via e-mail.

Confirmed Participants:

01. Ryan McKay

02. Joe Akosi

03. Daniel Kolbenschlag

04. Jay Snider

05. Jay O.

06. Mike Brooke

07. Tom Kinkela (TK)

08. Nick Dota

09. John Rozum

10. Collin Conroy

11. Francis Buennagel

12. Louis Buennagel

13. Mitch Williams

14. Nick Ciofani

15. Abe Kidney

16. Matt O'Toole

17. Sam Shapiro

18. Sheldon Schlachet

Thanks for your interest and see you at the tourney! If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will be checking the official signup email box regularly in addition to monitoring and updating this posting with the confirmed participants.

God bless, and long live Tecmo Super Bowl! (20 Years and still going strong - 1991-2011)

Ryan McKay

Boneyard Bowl Commissioner

[email protected]

Official signup:[email protected]

Attached is a picture of the trophy for the Boneyard Bowl. It will be engraved with the following:

Boneyard Bowl

Tecmo Super Champion

May 14, 2011

God bless, and long live Tecmo Super Bowl! (20 Years and still going strong - 1991-2011)

Ryan McKay

Boneyard Bowl Commissioner

[email protected]

Official signup:[email protected]

post-10988-13413728933259_thumb.jpg

Ryan,

Looking forward to the tourney - count me in. Chiefs took me a long way in last week's Cleveland tourney, but looks like I better get familiar with some lower tiered teams just in case. Hope I can avenge some tough losses against Tk and Francis if they can make it. I know some of the other Cleveland usual will be in too....me or Dan will get you a head count ASAP.

Jason

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

Ryan,

Looking forward to the tourney - count me in. Chiefs took me a long way in last week's Cleveland tourney, but looks like I better get familiar with some lower tiered teams just in case. Hope I can avenge some tough losses against Tk and Francis if they can make it. I know some of the other Cleveland usual will be in too....me or Dan will get you a head count ASAP.

Jason

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

Hey Jason,

Glad you are in for the tourney! I hope TK and Francis can make it as well. I also want a rematch with TK after a tough overtime loss in the first round last week! Thanks for spreading the word about the event and look forward to seeing you in May.

Ryan

Ryan as of now you can count me in. The only way I wouldn't be able to make it is if the Semi-Pro Football team I play for has an exhibition game on that day since it is exactly one week prior to the start of our season. But I should know that information way before then, so if I can NOT make it, I will let you know ASAP. And thanks for the invite!

I love the idea of "stealing" a vanquished opponent's team in the loser's bracket. To the victor go the spoils. In the Tecmo Dark Ages, they had similar stakes in their tournaments. Except it was the loser's wife you were entitled to afterwards. Tecmo has gotten a lot more civilized since then.

I love the idea of "stealing" a vanquished opponent's team in the loser's bracket. To the victor go the spoils. In the Tecmo Dark Ages, they had similar stakes in their tournaments. Except it was the loser's wife you were entitled to afterwards. Tecmo has gotten a lot more civilized since then.

Here I thought I was putting a new spin on a TSB tournament only to discover these types of competitions were going on thousands of years ago! I guess back then, the vanquished opponent lost a lot more than just the team he drafted and his entry fee...

Hope you can make the tourney!

Ryan

Here I thought I was putting a new spin on a TSB tournament only to discover these types of competitions were going on thousands of years ago! I guess back then, the vanquished opponent lost a lot more than just the team he drafted and his entry fee...

Hope you can make the tourney!

Ryan

Cleveland was such a great time and so close. I think its safe to say Louis and I would do another one. I like the rules changes. Makes it a little harder to run the table and using the same team every game does get a bit dull.

[Cleveland was such a great time and so close. I think its safe to say Louis and I would do another one. I like the rules changes. Makes it a little harder to run the table and using the same team every game does get a bit dull.

I'm glad you like the rule changes! I'll reserve spots for you and Louis.

I really like how Dan did the draft at the Cleveland tournament earlier this month and thought - "How could all 28 teams in the game be drafted and the competitors who get lower draft choices not feel like they got a raw deal?" The option of stealing your opponent's team from the loser's bracket when they are eliminated seemed like the best way to do it. I also setup the winner's and loser's brackets so that teams with close draft choices play each other throughout the tournament. I think it will make things very interesting.

Good luck in Madison and see you in May!

Ryan

Wow UltimateWeapon, I absolutely love the format! All teams included with the potential to upgrade teams mid-stream=amazing. I don't know you and I don't know what you do, but of this I am absolutely certain: This is the greatest accomplishment of your life. The Madison crew needs to seriously consider attending.

Wow UltimateWeapon, I absolutely love the format! All teams included with the potential to upgrade teams mid-stream=amazing. I don't know you and I don't know what you do, but of this I am absolutely certain: This is the greatest accomplishment of your life. The Madison crew needs to seriously consider attending.

Holzy11, thanks for your interest! I take your comments as a huge compliment coming from the co-founder of the most prestigious TSB tournament in the country! I hope you and some of the Madison regulars are able to attend the Boneyard Bowl.

There are several hotels very close to The Boneyard for any out of towners considering attending (see link below):

Here are my thoughts to remedy this situation:

Give the player from the undefeated bracket the option of facing the player from the one loss bracket with the existing team they have or allow them to swap their team with any of the opponents they previously defeated throughout the winner's bracket.

-If the player from the undefeated bracket wins the game, they win the championship.

-If the player from the one loss bracket wins, both remaining teams would have one loss and a Pro Bowl matchup would take place for the title.

-The AFC would be 1st controller and the NFC would be 2nd controller.

-The player who received their first loss in the previous game would have choice as to which team they wish to control

-Both teams would be entitled to change the rosters and playbooks prior to the game.

Thoughts, comments or suggestions?

Ryan

The one thing that worries me about this format is a good player could roll through the losers brackets with a great team early. Instead why not make it so whenever you beat someone you can use there team once. That way even the winners bracket guy will have more options and the same rewards for winning. If two people play each other and have the same team in reserve then we can make it so it cancels out.

I would also suggest just eliminating sf, buf, hou and the nyg. It would make it a lot more challenging. Plus there would still be an advantage for moving up and less of an advantage for a first round pick.

The one thing that worries me about this format is a good player could roll through the losers brackets with a great team early. Instead why not make it so whenever you beat someone you can use there team once. That way even the winners bracket guy will have more options and the same rewards for winning. If two people play each other and have the same team in reserve then we can make it so it cancels out.

I would also suggest just eliminating sf, buf, hou and the nyg. It would make it a lot more challenging. Plus there would still be an advantage for moving up and less of an advantage for a first round pick.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I feel strongly about including all 28 teams in the draft for this format. I would consider the idea of having the player's in the winner's bracket also be able to "steal" their opponent's team after each game. I don't think it would happen as often as it would in the losers' bracket and it might be nice to have the option. In that situation, the loser would take the team of the opponent who defeated them and go to the loser's bracket. I don't want to get into situations where player's control more than one franchise (or multiple players could control the same franchise at any given point).

Winner's bracket example (with the winner potentially having the option to steal their opponent's team):

Eagles vs. Raiders: The player controlling the Eagles wins, but decides they would rather have the Raiders. The team who previously controlled the Raiders now moves to the loser's bracket with the Eagles.

The same rules would apply in the loser's bracket except that when a team is eliminated and the winning team does not opt to steal the franchise, that franchise is then eliminated from the tournament.

Loser's bracket example:

Eagles vs. Oilers. The player controlling the Eagles wins and opts to keep the Eagles. The player controlling the Oilers is officially eliminated from the tournament and the Oilers franchise is eliminated from tournament play.

I sort of like the idea of a Pro Bowl matchup deciding the championship if the final 2 teams both end up with 1 loss.

-The AFC would be 1st controller and the NFC would be 2nd controller.

-The player who received their first loss in the previous game would have choice as to which team they wish to control

- Both teams would be entitled to change the rosters and playbooks prior to the game.

Those minor rule modifications might make things a little more interesting... Any other thoughts or suggestions on the tourney format?

Ryan

I think the winner's bracket grab would probably solve your issue of the winner keeping a bad team up to the semis/finals.

Another thing you could do is give them reign of teams they relegated to the losers bracket and were eliminated at a certain point.

The only downside to the ProBowl deal is that it might possibly take a while for someone to set up a team.

This could really come into play after a long day.

Here is a topic to discuss such a lineup

well as long as the match ups are between similar teams throughout it might be an idea to use all 28. as long as you have no extreme mismatches at any point why not. The tough part about this style in doing it in a way so no matter who gets what team the games are as fair as possible.

As for a bro bowl championship why make any changes. Both would have a pro bowl team. Set the playbooks, players and roll or maybe a limited number of changes. say 5.

I think the winner's bracket grab would probably solve your issue of the winner keeping a bad team up to the semis/finals.

Another thing you could do is give them reign of teams they relegated to the losers bracket and were eliminated at a certain point.

The only downside to the ProBowl deal is that it might possibly take a while for someone to set up a team.

This could really come into play after a long day.

Here is a topic to discuss such a lineup

well as long as the match ups are between similar teams throughout it might be an idea to use all 28. as long as you have no extreme mismatches at any point why not. The tough part about this style in doing it in a way so no matter who gets what team the games are as fair as possible.

As for a bro bowl championship why make any changes. Both would have a pro bowl team. Set the playbooks, players and roll or maybe a limited number of changes. say 5.

Thanks guys! You both make excellent points about the format. I am going to tweak the rules just a bit:

- The winner in either the winner's bracket or loser's bracket will have the option to keep their team or steal their opponent's team.

- When a player steals their opponent's team in the winner's bracket, the loser takes their opponent's team to the loser's bracket.

- When a player is eliminated from the loser's bracket, the remaining team (after their opponent chooses their preferred team) will also be eliminated.

- If the final two teams both end up with one loss, the Pro Bowl will be played for the title with the AFC as controller 1 and the NFC as controller 2.

- The player who lost their first game in the previous matchup will have first choice of team.

- The original rosters for the Pro Bowl teams will be used due to time constraints but lineup changes and playbook changes will be allowed.

I am really excited about this tournament format. Thanks for your input!

Ryan

• 4 weeks later...
Any status update?

Rod - Do you have any interest in making the trip to Ohio? That would be awesome :)

I have at least 5 additional guys who would like to attend but have not been able to committ yet... so we still officially have 9 slots open. I plan on doing more local promoting over the next several weeks at places where retro video games and throwback NFL jerseys are sold (talking with employees and leaving flyers) to drum up some additional interest - and maybe a few coffee shops. I've already gotten a couple of the participants that way.

I figure as we get closer to the tourney date in May more participants will sign up.

Any other ideas from the Knobbe community on promoting the event?

Any status update?

Rod - Do you have any interest in making the trip to Ohio? That would be awesome :)

As much as I'd love to go I just don't have enough in the time/money budget to make an Ohio trip