7th Annual Madison Tecmo Tournament

holzy11

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, anyone want to round trip me from Milwaukee to Madison?

i'm getting a rental car in milwaukee and it's just me and my son as of right now.

so i could possibly take ya one way or round trip if your times match up at all with mine.

btw, we wont be leaving for madison until friday and not sure if we're heading back to milwaukee directly afterwards.

probably seeing family first up near eau claire. nothing set in stone yet.

--------------------------------

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Frontier Airlines # 1465 Operated by: REPUBLIC AIRLINES - Please check in with the operating carrier

Clearwater/St Petersburg International (PIE) to Milwaukee General Mitchell (MKE)

Departure (PIE): March 3, 12:02 PM EST (afternoon)

Arrival (MKE): March 3, 1:50 PM CST (afternoon)

--------------------------------

Monday, March 7, 2011

Frontier Airlines # 1466 Operated by: REPUBLIC AIRLINES - Please check in with the operating carrier

Milwaukee General Mitchell (MKE) to Clearwater/St Petersburg International (PIE)

Departure (MKE): March 7, 7:37 AM CST (morning)

Arrival (PIE): March 7, 11:22 AM EST (morning)

Tecmo Pyscho lives in Indianapolis. That's probably your closest bet.

yes, this was option 1 that didnt work out

option 2 was the 513 crew

option 3 was a guy from my work whos hometown was minnesota

im on option 4, which I dont know what it is, so might not be making it there

Guest list is at 141... what's the plan for the overage?

We're capping the field at 144. That's 18 systems running at once in both the morning and afternoon sessions.

A sneak preview of how the games should bracket out

>http://www.hulu.com/edp/http%3A%2F%2Fvideo.tvguide.com%2FBASEketball%2FTwo%2BMan%2BSack%2BRace%2F1066891/embed/yzHv0mM3BDljuFmDxnnqMw

Epic numbers! I was thinking that if there were more groups than possible to fit into two sessions you could run a third session in half the time using two TVs per group, but if you can manage 18 systems and TVs that's even better. This place must be pretty sizeable to absorb the whole lot of us and handle 18 systems at a time.

Hawkeyes vs. Boilers on the 5th... I wonder if crazy Iowa fan will make the trip up from Chicago?

Epic numbers! I was thinking that if there were more groups than possible to fit into two sessions you could run a third session in half the time using two TVs per group, but if you can manage 18 systems and TVs that's even better. This place must be pretty sizeable to absorb the whole lot of us and handle 18 systems at a time.

Hawkeyes vs. Boilers on the 5th... I wonder if crazy Iowa fan will make the trip up from Chicago?

The place should be large enough. I have consistently tried to impress upon the manager just how many people are going to be there, and just how loud it's going to be, but I'm not sure it'll sink in until tournament day. Our biggest problem, believe it or not, is that there are relatively few accessible outlets in this joint. I'm legitimately concerned about powering all these systems and TV's. We will obviously have extension cords running everywhere, but I'm worried about whether these outlets can adequately power so much concentrated Tecmo.

Does anyone know the answer to this question: Would it be better to (a) plug a surge protector directly into the outlet and run extension cords to each individual "Tecmo station" (this would require a ton of extension cords); or (;) plug an extension cord into the outlet, run it to a collection of "Tecmo stations," plug the surge protector into the extension cord's end, and then plug the nintendos and tv's directly into the surge protector? I'm thinking option (a), but I really have no clue. Maybe it doesn't even matter.

Option A but that's more about protecting the devices.

Ask the manager if he knows how the power distribution is set up. OR what the circuit breaker is rated for (15 Amps, 20 Amps, etc) That is what matters. You would in theory want to split up the largest current drawing devices (probably the TV's) among as many different circuit breakers as possible. If all the outlets in the room(s) you are using are tied to one breaker, it won't matter what you do and you will trip the breaker if you have too much current on the line.

Does anyone know the answer to this question: Would it be better to (a) plug a surge protector directly into the outlet and run extension cords to each individual "Tecmo station" (this would require a ton of extension cords); or (8) plug an extension cord into the outlet, run it to a collection of "Tecmo stations," plug the surge protector into the extension cord's end, and then plug the nintendos and tv's directly into the surge protector? I'm thinking option (a), but I really have no clue. Maybe it doesn't even matter.

My initial answer is option (a), but regarding option (;) (which doesn't seem like a bad idea, either) - how much current will be going through the "main" extension cord? those things have ratings, too. looks like the NES adapter output 9VAC and 1.3A! Add to that the TV/monitor current....I would add the current up first.

In the end, I think that the rating of each outlet/breaker and the rating of the surge protector/extension cord is what you're going to have to deal with.

I'm making t-shirts again this year. I just finished up the design. Check it out, yo.

gXlWq.png

It's not set in stone, and I can still make changes, especially if something changes to the amount of people in the tournament. It'll probably be $10 a shirt. I'm going to take orders and get sizes before the tournament like I did last year. I'll collect any money at the tournament, hopefully I can get a buddy to come along and help with that again. I can also do a name and ## on the back of the shirts for an extra $5.

If you want to email me about it, my email is floe888 at yahoo.

Flo, I sincerely apologize, especially considering that you did a great job with last year's shirts. Anyway, we talked about this months ago and decided that to drum up more local interest, we were going to use a place here in town for the shirts. We're gonna have sponsor logos (espnmadison, Logans) on the back. I thought someone had sent you an email or talked to you, but obviously not. Hope you didn't spend too long on the design. If you did, just make the shirts anyway and we'll have both at the tourney.

Crud, I thought I had mentioned this to you Flo at the Chicago tourney. Of course, the Miller Lite was flowing quite liberally down there, so can't remember whether the message was clearly transmitted/received. I agree with holzy11, though -- if you already put a bunch of time into this, there's nothing wrong with having two kinds of t-shirts on 3/5. If you do go forward with them, I'd put "128" on there instead of "144" -- standard attrition rate in the past for us in weeks leading up to tournament has been about 10%.

Greetings all, looking forward to the 5th! I know I'm signed up late, but I just found this beauty of a website/discussion board.

My first question, I believe I was 143 to sign up, and I see numbers at 128. Is the field capped at 128, and I'm on a "waiting list", or am I guaranteed a spot in the tourney when I show up on 3/5?

Second question, what time do the festivities start on 3/5, and what time are the tournament kickoffs? I didn't see a time.

Looking forward to representing the WDM and my Tecmo clique.

My first question, I believe I was 143 to sign up, and I see numbers at 128. Is the field capped at 128, and I'm on a "waiting list", or am I guaranteed a spot in the tourney when I show up on 3/5?

Second question, what time do the festivities start on 3/5, and what time are the tournament kickoffs? I didn't see a time.

The field is capped at 144. The 145th competitor will be Alternate No. 1. As to your second question, the following email from [email protected] should answer it. This email was sent to all registered competitors as of 2/11/11:

A reminder that "Tecmo VII: The Hoss Whisperer" is three weeks from this Saturday (i.e. March 5, 2011). Please take note of the following:

(1) A list of the groups will be sent out via email the week of February 28th. They will additionally be posted on the website, along with a sample bracket. The morning wave will start group play at 10:00 a.m. on March 5 and complete group play by 12:30 p.m. Afternoon group play will commence at 12:30 p.m. The opening round of single-elimination will start around 3:00-3:30 p.m.

(2) If you can no longer make the tournament, please go to the website (

update from Falcons training camp:

Andre Rison has finally convinced his fellow receivers to attend the Andre Rison Football Academy, where they are now working hard alongside high schoolers to study the important concepts of "catching" and "running". According to Andre, they will be allowed to take the practice field once they pass their written exams.

Chris Miller, for stated reasons of "loyalty", showed up to camp wearing his old Oregon Ducks jersey, prompting Deion Sanders to announce "hunting season is open". He then shot Miller in the ass. Millen has assumed starting duties ("for now" according to Deion) and the Falcons have promoted an unnamed third-stringer to backup QB. The new backup was immediately suspended for vomiting beer all over the team cheerleaders.

post-11344-13413728933853_thumb.jpg

Can you do a test run sometime before hand. It must be a bitch getting 18 televisions and Nintendos. Yet if you could set it up one Sunday morning it would tell you for sure if there is a problem or if there isn't. I think they could run 18 televisions. But can they run 18 tv's along with there normal bar devices.

I also have a backup plan. Run 2-3 groups elsewhere. It would be another nightmare of a time coordinating it though. But might help if there is a time limit.

a couple of things to keep in mind. 1. try not to use more extension cord then needed. if you only need a 25ft cord don't use a 50. 2 if you are powering several devises off of one cord, threw power strips. not to use tiny cheap cords. 3 i am not online garbage .4 since i work in construction i have probaly 12 good extension cords. and 4 power strips let me know if any are needed.