Cleveland TSB Tournament: 6 spots open - sat. feb. 5th, 2011

berniebomb

Hello all, I am offering up to six spots in my TSB Tournament to be held the Saturday before the Super Bowl

The first six people to be able to confirm that they are almost 100 % sure they can make it , will have a spot reserved for them

Here are the Gory details:

WHAT: 28 man TSB tournament

WHEN: Saturday February 5th 2011 @ 1 pm est (registration begins at 12:30)

WHERE: The Oriole Cafe , 294 North Rocky River Dr. Berea Oh 44017 (about a 5 minute drive from Cleveland Hopkins International Airport)

ENTRY: $25 (includes beer ,.. until the keg is gone)

FORMAT: double elimination- basically , two 14 man tournaments will take place , with the winners of group A and B facing eachother for the Championship

PRIZES: Champion: cash & trophy , Runner up : cash , groups A & B runner ups: cash, most rushing yards & passing yards by a single player (in a single game): cash , same with highest points scored in a single game

SQUARES: squares will be sold for $1.00 each for the championship game, will pay out at the half and final

DONATIONS: A undetermined amount of money will be donated to the Make a wish Foundation

ABOUT THE VENUE: The Oriole can be best described as Cheers meets Roseanne.. a mix match of random sports photos and artifacts from days gone by clutter the walls of this cozy bar,the dimly lit atmoshere just makes you want to have a brew the minute you walk in. Set on the outskirts of the small college town of Berea, and also the home of the Cleveland Browns training camp, this is a Cleveland gem..

Also, the food is fantastic and the staff very friendly

Also, in regards to the Cleveland gig, in this tournament each contender will pick a ping-pong ball out of a hat to determine in which order You will choose your team. This team will be your only team for the duration of the Tournament. In the chance of group A and B having the same team come out into the Championship, the tie breaker will go to the player who posted the highest score in a single game heading into the title game. This person can choose to change his team, or defer to his opponent and make him change his

RULES: before each game, each player may take up to three minutes to make changes to the play book

During coin toss, players must set the controlller down, and allow the auto- coin flip to take place

As far as all other game play is concerned, its anything goes.. Lurching is exceptable (at your own risk)

Also, if you feel like putting in a WR at RB, that is ok as well

This is will be my 6th annual tournament I have held, here are the past 5 years of champions:

2006- Bengals,Jay O.

2007-Giants, Mark

2008-Oilers, Mark

2009-Rams, Ned

2010-Bears, Mark

Usually, the guys I play with are not really Lurch happy any way.. sneaking in the occasional lurch is what it usually comes down to , maybe a few times a game.. but everyone is different. I am not gonna completely out-law it.. a possible revision of how many times a game you can do it is a something to think about however

son of pat beach is trying to get in to this tournament. he's just away from his computer right now.

should he email you? or some official email address? or is posting here good enough?

Thanks for the looking out, QB Browns. The organizer contacted me via email -- we're all set.

Hi! My brother and i along with a long time friend are very interested in being a part of this tourney. We have never been in one (outside of our own). Weve been looking for one without all those crappy rules! The 3 of us started playing TSB when it was still in video stores for rent! Please consider us and let me know if you have 3 spots still open. Thanks! Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just wanna say that the Cleveland tournament was the most fun I've ever had playing Tecmo Super Bowl. I would have stayed to watch after being eliminated but the weather was getting really bad out so I decided to play it safe and get home before dark.

I can only say that I am anxious for the next tournament near/around the greater Cleveland area. Everyone at this one was really cool and I look forward to competing again soon.

-John Rozum; Played with the Redskins in Group B (Wore the Steve Atwater jersey)

This was a great tourney. lot of fun, good bar, great players, prizes, surprises and very well ran. I hope we can do it again next year. Here is my best attempt at a recap.

The bar was a typical corner bar serving food while giving up the back area for tecmo. It set up for four tv's in the space of about a large living room for tecmo. Just enough room to slowly but steadily get on our way for tecmo. We immediately drew lots for seeding where I got A6 and Lou B 5. Soon side B became the side of doom as both Matt and Nick joined Louis in side B. Meanwhile I was facing off against a field of people that included a cincy tourney intrant in Jay, a couple of locals and others who would be very surprising in the skill they would display on side a.

Then once everyone arrived came the moment I was dreading. The random draw which I felt could only go bad for me. If I got say the 1 pick everyone on here would feel I had practically won the tourney at the draw. Yet at the same time even with my experince the teams left at 14 would take a lot of work to win with. So I let a couple guys go then hearing a few middle numbers and 13 I felt confident. I reached in got a ball and couldn't get my hand out of the box. I got another ball pulled back and to my relief I had the number 4.

Then after announcing it I moved my thumb and noticed this odd line next to the number 4. It was a one. I had really drawn the last pick. Next to me a stunned TK with 13 looked equally bummed out. I told Louis and Toolie it looked like I had to earn this one unlike the week before.

I hardly paid much attention as side B drew, Louis didn't either and ended up getting 5 on the last draw, toolie got 8 or 9 and I was carefully debating teams like the rams, skins, fish, Den, TB, SD and such. Suddenly it was my turn to draw as I took my sheet and began crossing out. Sf, Buf, Hou, NYG, KC, Chi but suddenly I see cleveland, arizona and Pittsburg. Also taken was Philly, SD, Rams and washington. Leaving a choice of Detroit or Cincy. I decedied to take Sanders and Gray instead of Cincy and Fulcher.

It was a game changer to have such great teams left. i figured a couple guys had just taken teams they liked figuring they would not do well or felt they had some advantage which was not there. I never expected any of the lower level teams to get far against the powerhouses.

Moments later Louis got hou to drop to 5 and toolie had a smiliar choice and took cincy. Nick would end up with Philly. The tourney got underway as Louis began to romp to an easy opener against mia and toolie dominated early with fulcher. Meanwhile I played bryne in my first game who had Washington. Suddenly I had a flashback to a previous slaughter house as he decided to opt with the original playbook. Thoughts of the week before made me think it was time to go for the rushing title. Then after a few JJ's and some bad offense on my part I was down 13-7 at the half. In the second half I would score 14 unanswered in the third. But it would take two stands holding Bryne to a field goal before I sneaked out with a 21-16 win. Flashbacks to my start at Chi ensued.

Meanwhile I looked up for one of many shockers of the day. Someone on side B was giving a beatdown up 55-0 against the 49ers. He ran up 395 with Anderson and I kissed any chance of the rushing title aside. Later one of the tourney hosts would abuse the cards original playbook to go for at least 60+ points. Any chance of bonus money was long gone as often I had to rotate my rb's to wr to get passes to work.

Then came several confusing issues. In his second game Louis one a tight one against sd while I sat next to him. Which confused the Dan the tourney host to thinking he had put us in the wrong bracket. Ever since a kid I hate to be confused with Louis which only worsened the situation. But luckily it was cleared up. But the incident is a reminder of one thing during a tourney. The guys running it are very busy and need you to help them out by reporting the results asap. Yet this was a minor incident in an otherwise great performance for Dan.

More confusion and annoyance ensued as one of the few onlookers was a little toasted and kept pointing out his buddy would beat me for a 100 bucks in a one on one game. Hearing about my past wins got him a little randy about taking my title. Confused I though he was in the tourney and told him if we matched up then we would play but I had to focus on the tourney.

Then he again and again pointed this out. His buddy was cool about it and wanted to go one on one for a beer. I'm not against a friendly wager but the tourney comes first. With only 4 tv's and so many games and my focus to win the tourney I told them maybe afterwards. Not to mention the fact I don't drink and play at the same time during a serious tourney. Again flashback to multiple bad starts like Chi and even then I was sluggish. Luckily I had some red bull in the car and dunked half of it after game 1.

Game to was against Jay (Giants) who was one of the organizers and who was in the cincy tourney. At the time I had completely forgotten our last game, his name though he seemed familiar. He would get off to a bad start falling behind 16 nothing at the half. A safety near halftime then I got the ball and got another td. Up 23 to nothing Jayson got it going getting two td's to make it a closer game. Once again I wasn't playing the greatest but I was at least ahead most of the time.

My third game was one of two blow outs. I defeated Eddie's Buffalo Bills 51-7 or so. It was close early but I would break out to 21-0 at the half then have a wild 3rd where QB bills threw an int and Thomas fumbled. I briefly entertained the points lead but I had started the game with the Philly-ari game going to the fourth with the eagles already in the 60's.

In other news Louis raced out to his best start ever winning his first three games. Including a tough matchup against Nick's eagles. Setting up a matchup with toolie to determine who would be assured of at least 50 dollars. Then Louis began to falter. Through some sort of deal with a demon Lou has a new found tapping speed that is out of this world. Yet his inexperince on defense with CB1 caused trouble as toolie picked up plenty of good yard runs on the ground. Toolie's d frustrated moon and it was 14-0 cincy in the second. Then Louis put together a drive to about the thirty only to have a fg blocked. Yet now his d picked up steam and he would hold. His next drive got to the seven but he did not have much time left. Lou decided to take 3 points and hope one more stop would do it.

In the second half drew hill shone and Louis quickly got a TD on the board. But toolie would answer with a td. Undaunted Louis began to abuse coverage catches to Hill and dump off passes to McNeil. Stingy d made it a long drive but Lou managed to get back within 4 with about 3 minutes on the clock. WIth about a minute left he even held Toolie on the 40 and got the ball back with 26 seconds but close to the endzone. The final JJ attempt would not even come close as Moon misfired. Lou played a great game I felt confident he could place in the money with a win.

In my fourth game I would play a battle against Jayson (KC). It just seemed KC could blow up every run without too much effort. Worse my plan to run my plays at DT back fired as blockers vanished and DT always would come back to get me followed by 2-7 guys. Even moving Sanders to wr would not alieveate the defensive pressure as the coverage was excellent. It forced me to move the ball slowly and sneak a lot with Peete. Meanwhile Paige was making my defense look bad. I would go down 14-13 at half time cause DT had even blocked an extra point.

In the third I knew it would take defense and a miracle to keep Paige from catching the JJ over me. Luckily I managed to first take a lead on a long time consuming drive. Then I managed to call plays Paige went deep on to off balance him. Finally there where several breaks. Earlier he had been up 14-6 with the ball only to fumble. Later on he threw an int and I think he went for a fourth down to end up short by a few inches. More luck went against him as Paige didn't jump on a jj attempt and meanwhile I completed a big pass deep to open my lead to 13. That would prove to be enough. But I was still worried about the rematch.

This tourney had plenty of suprises. Jayson's play with KC was excellent but nothing prepared any of us for the run TK went on in the losers bracket with the steelers. His defense was amazing as he slowly began to gut out win after win. His all shotgun offense using all curls mistfied several people. Even without his primary defensive weapon, the lurch he would defeat Jay's Giants. In that game we learned he expected unlimited luruching and used all shotguns to limit the effectiveness of the Lurch. Yet still he was a good enough player without it. Then to my shock he took down Jayson to meet me in the side A final game.

Of course his luck was running out I told myself. I would simply run all my plays at woodson and pick him off. All curls was no mystery to me. After all, I used to play tpc against sconnie and he used and abused it with minn back in the day. I was going to win and there would be no need for a second game. Meanwhile Louis was in a struggle with Nick and began to fall behind. He would not be able to come back and it set up what turned out to be a grudge match from back in the day between Toolie and Nick.

However, I had my own problems. I just couldn't keep the Steelers running game under control at first. All curls was still taking bites out of me. Yet as he got closer I would stone wall him forcing him to kick fg's. But on offense his d was incredible. If he had only gotten Chi he might have had a chance to go all the way. But with pittsburg he could not break through. 7-6 at half was not what I pictured at the start of the game.

It became a war of attrition. Eventually I would have to use the arrow trick to get some big gains in the second half. and bust out to a 14-6 lead. Yet TK would quickly drive down and seem on his way to at least one more fg. Then I finally got white near the ball and picked Brister. Yet on offense I found I could now do very little without risking a turnover. So I gutted out a few plays and punted to count on defense to slow him. Yet his next drive he would get a fg that made it 14-9. At this point I would stop him two more times but I just could not get my offense going. Yet now pittsburg finally became an impediment to TK as he could not move the ball quickly enough to get anywhere close to the endzone. Settling at the end for a jj attempt with brister it was caught near the thrity. But the wr was double covered and subduded easily.

I was going to the final against Toolie. Nick and Toolie had apparently once played a whole season with their respective teams and met in the super bowl as college students. It had been a close game but Matt won. As Nick put it from that day foward Matt became the better player. This game turned into whitewash quickly. Which turned into a best of three final matchup.