Official SNES Hacking Thread

TecmoTurd

Well damn. No help?

Everything is simply not working. Other things which I've tried...

SNESTool tells me wrong file size, so that is no good.

Another post above suggests to use a headerless rom, so I tried to remove header, and game won't start up afterwards.

Tried to add and also repair header, same result. Anything other than leaving the damn rom alone, makes the game not boot.

Using HexD I tried to add some dummy bytes to the beginning but the damn rom stays the exact damn size. (wtf?)

*sigh*

If I could at least get the tsbm2000 to work, and it not spit out a rom that is 4 KB smaller, after running the rom through it, everything would be fine.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick question (TecmoTurd) may remember me from RBI forums. I've always played Tecmo Super Bowl, but have really gotten back into it the last couple of months and want to know if.....

-Pass Accuracy (now the chance of a pass being completed)

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/9494-nes-pc-and-pa/

-(max spd. of defensive player after a fumble/int.)

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/9398-using-quickness-for-int-and-fumble-returns/page__hl__+quickness%20+speed

-Defense (3-4 & 4-3 formations)

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/11034-tsb-with-both-34-and-43-defenses/

... these hacks have made to the SNES verion yet.

Edited by thalivest

• 1 month later...

I feel like this thread is extremely incomplete. Please correct me if I'm wrong. At the very least, I feel like the SNES hacks that exist would be better off in a .TXT document housed as an attachment on this forum, instead of linked to another source online. TecmoTurd, are you able to create a new document for Tecmo Super Bowl I hacks / resources? Are you interested do this?

• 11 months later...

Hey gang, I'm finally getting around to starting my 1997 SNES STB1 rom.  I realized I need to make a good template or "base" rom to start each new season with.  I want to start cranking these things out.  I'm trying to put together a list of things I've done in the past (particularly for my 1996 rom).  Years ago I borrowed some great stuff from the knobbe.org site with the help of many of you - but I'm afraid I wasn't very good at documenting it. 

One of the things I remember doing had to do with "Quickness" and making it a meaningful attribute.  I'm pretty sure it was used to determine Max Speed after an INT or fumble recovery?

Was there a way to make kickoff return and punt return speeds more reflective of the player's attributes - particularly defensive players who were returning kicks?

I did a little digging of my own and found TecmoTurd's SNES Hacks page (fantastic resource - as is most of his stuff!).  The last entry is:

Use player attributes for INT return speed

x167E44

SET(0x167E44, 0xE100E206E300E4DF) 

Which attribute(s) is this using?  Does it apply to fumble recoveries as well?

My Hex editing skills are a little rusty (they were also never really good to begin with), so correct me if I'm wrong, but the only real changes to be made are at x167E47 (change 03 to 06) and x167E49 (change EF to 00).  Is this an accurate way to interpret this hex edit, or am I missing something?

I guess I had better just ditch the idea.  There's no way I'm going to test a hack that effects INT's and fumbles.  I wouldn't have the patience to wait for them to happen... although I suppose you could hack the game further to make a RB fumble nearly every time he's tackled, eh?

I considered the other roms you mentioned, but I wanted to keep the general look and feel of the original intact.  The generic endzone thing would bother me too much!  Who wants to celebrate a TD in a generic endzone?  haha...  as always, thanks for the response and your consideration.  This 1997 rom I'm working on is going to be a good one...  I'll be sure to come back and share when complete.  I had fun doing the small helmet changes for Tampa Bay and Denver today (1997 is the year they both got new uniforms and logos).  Modifying Tecmo is like doing a crossword puzzle or playing a strategy game to me.  I actually do it to relax... 

• 2 months later...

...and it is nearly impossible when you have a team that uses repeating tiles in the endzone and in the team logo.  I was changing the Bears to the Panthers for my 1997 rom and the Bears logo has a lot of solid color tiles that just repeat all over the place.  There was only one row of tiles I could use, so the Jaguars logo is now very small and has no resemblance to the actual jaguars logo!  You do the best you can... not everything is going to be perfect!

Really? I wasn't aware of any logos that did that...I've updated logos for a lot of teams and never ran into that.  The other option is to blank all the large helmets out as they are rarely ever shown anyways...replace them with a single NFL image or something...elways' ROMs always had an image of the lombardi trophy...

I finally finished the 1997 rom for the SNES.  I posted a summary of all my roms at:

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/59682-bloodthirsty-franks-snes-super-tecmo-bowl-roms-for-seasons-1994-and-up/

1998 is on my radar presently.  I've got a long term approach to making these roms now.  I'm making a rom template headed into the 1998 season.  Things like uniform changes to the Broncos, Bucs, and Jets will be in place already for future years.  I've got a written plan for every team to include/exclude through the 2013 season.  I've even got plans for the Seahawks conference jump.

As Darth Vader would say, "They'll be no one to stop us this time!"

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Some positive news for the SNES folks. 

Using Diztinguish https://github.com/IsoFrieze/DiztinGUIsh/releases with https://github.com/binary1230/bsnes-plus/releases per the insturctions here:

https://github.com/IsoFrieze/DiztinGUIsh/blob/master/TRACE CAPTURE INSTRUCTIONS.md

makes it so a huge chunk of the raw disassembly can be automated. 

The other good news is the sequence of instructions and sequence of memory locations are identical in many cases. This will make "porting"  reverse engineering of the NES version a lot easier if I ever have time. Will try and post a dump at some point. 

I was also able to modify my java based condition checker to work with the zsnes emulator.