Official SNES Hacking Thread

TecmoTurd

I've been collecting SNES hacking documentation throughout the years, and recently, xplosv sent me a list of new hacks that he'd ported over from the NES version. I thought it was time to start organizing this stuff and he gave me permission to share his stuff with the world. This, I've whipped up a crude start to an SNES hacking bible that you can see here:

notebooksnes.docx

• 7 months later...
:lol::lol: What is up man, I have read through a lot of these forums but it was hard for me to join and create an account cuz I could not do so for weeks. Anyhow this link is not working for me and I cant find the site.... Is this the same info that is on your sig? or is this a more comprehensive and in depth view at the snes version. I love and prefer the snes version as it was the one I owned as a child and I lived in Dallas at the time so naturally it was all the rage for Football Hardcores. I digest there are a million things I would like to ask you about editing SNES TSB. I have made a few so far.... not uploaded any. I have a 1968 Super Bowl III version with tile edits for AFL and old school authenticness..SB III's everywhere and stuff; any suggestions for making a rom seem more 60s or 70s feel? I was thinking like old school ads or tv programming ? Like on the scoreboard instead of espn or stuff like that I already have done. I will ask you a couple more questions and then if you wish I will have more for you. However I do need a bit of help when editing the large helmets and a little on the minis too. I have a NCAA starter file that I was trying to dial the look of it in real good before I add some current roster situation ( I love college too) . So although I edit tiles I have a hard time with hex and the only way I know to replace logos or anything is just to overlay on top of the ones already in game in tile ed. I dont understand the math or the pallette # s I wrote out the abc s in upper and lower case and made myself a key for XVI (should I be using that hex e. ? it seems to crash a bunch of roms if I mess up) On the edits i do ingame I just match the colors based off what I can see i e if you know buffalo is blue red then in tile ed you can see there crazy green and match it up with others . I edited a giants helmit to NW and then when I switched it to a byu helmit in hex by just copying what i know is the white shell string and blue logo string, however some purple lighting effects seem to remain on the helmit also I used the colts logo #'s cause I figured byu would match perfect to that .. the logo seems faded and light purple not so much blue do. Do I need to also edit another string??? Do I need to copy the whold string or just certain COLOR hexes?? Sorry for the run on I have been doing this edit thing in the dark and all I need to know now is a little Hex work for my gameplay improvements....I can already change quarter length and copy other hex that people tell me what to change to improve stuff although I have had a hard time finding address on account of header or headerless roms maybe?

:lol::lol: What is up man, I have read through a lot of these forums but it was hard for me to join and create an account cuz I could not do so for weeks. Anyhow this link is not working for me and I cant find the site....

I fixed the link above.

What issues did you have with joining this site?

I just put in my info a couple of time and on the screen right before the email would get sent out it would take me to a screen in site that said something like my account could not be created at the time. ThnX for the link man.

It might be a little more complex as I have to battle spambots.

Thanx for the info

K sorry I will try not to ramble so much and be more literate. So this is my 1st day seeing the snes one off hacks list, I like the kicking game improv. Its seems that when I change the value in Pass/Speed/Arc it does not seem to do much of anything. Perhaps it is the rom or I may be entering the hex wrong as I have only HexD a few gameplay hacks in my day. the values I have entered are like 40 i think that is the og i have tried 01 33 66 99 and ef ff stuff like that the max values ... did i mess up by not putting in a value on the scale the game uses??? it seems that the punts and kicks will be affected all the way from 01-ef ..ff ... and so on the highest character? value? i think that is what it is called. I understand the scale is likely different for dif. attributes I am also having trouble with the snap/toss arc s and the Rushing power (is this for hb s only ?) Do you know the min. and max. of each attribute?

So my theory is that when editing gameplay hex the value will go all the way from 0-256 ? or whatever 0-FF ? But the passing and running power ones dont seem to work so much ? Where as the kicking and blocking ones are most sensitive ? Also I changed a couple logo designs, Some palletes matched up while others did not; If I change the color string is each team s logo on its own pallete or are those shared like some of the shells and facemasks? Still learning this is like day 4 of changeing colors sorry , i noticed you have not responded are all these questions too noob ish ?

i noticed you have not responded are all these questions too noob ish ?

That's typically not the case around here.

I'd say if anything your writing style is extremely hard to read.

This means that it takes a lot of effort to try and figure out what it is that you're asking in the first place.

Not noobksh at all, ask away my good man. I didn't respond because I didn't get the email that there was a reply. Sometimes that happens and I don't know why

To be honest, those hacks were porter from nes hacks by xplozv, and I don't think they:

1. Are all tested

2. All do something on the snes version

For example, the PC/pa hack, while it doesn't seem to mess up the game, I saw no effect in my testing.

It's just hit or miss, but I know a number of these work just fine. Remember to make sure you're using a headerless rom or to adjust the hex locations if not.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

So I am going to assume every team logo and city name color pallete is unshared. A few Q's about LG HELMETS; Currently I will simply copy a string from the original rom or another edit, and basically re enter the data in the new address, so if I want a white shell I will copy houston's string and place it in the new address. I understand this may be a very un-efficient way to get this done. Are SNES color strings known ? If they are not I think I will start to document them, as well as the location of each team and city logo color palletes. Although I imagine there is a better way of doing this than what I am doing cause the game recognizes color combinations that arent in the original.

Also on the LG helmet logos so if I understand that the last 3 hexes are FaceMask colors then to change the FaceM I would only need to change those 3? Is this possible?

So I am basically looking for the SNES version of the following I guess: ?????

Quoted From avgtsbplayer

quote="averagetsbplayer"]I used jstout's info to come up with this table:

Team Colors:

1st 3 - helmet palette

next 2 - facemask palette

final 3 - logo palette

this is also a good site to figure out the what the hex value is in actual color: Art of ROM Hacking

Team Address- Hex

Buffalo x23d79 - 30 16 12 10 30 30 12 26

Indianapolis x23d81 - 12 30 12 10 30 12 00 00

Miami x23d89 - 2c 30 26 1c 2c 2c 26 00

Just downloaded the pallette tools (this seems to be a great time saver compared to how i was doing it) However I still do not know which ones to edit in the string???

Please fill me in , each one needs to start with 00 / or 00 00 ? Black and of course they all seem to end with ff 7f w .

Do you know which ones are shadow effects and which are Shell? How broad of a range do i need when chooseing colors to add? (for a realistic looking helmet) (how many different blues and blacks are used for say chicago?)

Disregard that last one, as of now the only pressing matter I have is could you please explain the HELMET DESIGNS one more time for me , I have read over them before but i know there are FOUR kinds of designs. Is there a way to choose which design (ie rams horns or 3 striper) ? Where do I go in hex to apply them? What do I put in ?

I was wanting to change to some colored socks as well ? is this possible with the Pallette editors or will I need to do this on Tile ED or in hex?

and Finally how would the Tecmo Community feel about Revo Mini helmets??? I have noticed that if you black out a couple of blocks and get the shade right it looks like a new style helmit on the mini helmets screen :lol:

Man, your rapid fire. I'm on my phone, so I can't answer all your questions now, as I have no acres to a PC until Monday.

Some of the helmet pallets are shared. See my hacking doc for which ones are. At one time I had the helmet string mapped out by changing colors and observing the effect. I must have lost that! Time to redocument I think.

PS good to see snes fanse here. When the NFL season gets closer, hopefully more action picks up on the SNES Players site. Hit me up for a game sometime.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Some of the helmet pallets are shared. See my hacking doc for which ones are. At one time I had the helmet string mapped out by changing colors and observing the effect. I must have lost that! Time to redocument I think.

PS good to see snes fanse here. When the NFL season gets closer, hopefully more action picks up on the SNES Players site. Hit me up for a game sometime.

Seeing the helmet string mapped out would be AWESOME. Am I being too optimistic to think you'd do this for the large AND small helmets? Also, I am a huge SNES TSB fan and appreciate the fact that you keep the torch burning so brightly for the SNES version. Strangely enough, my interest in Tecmo wanes when real football is on (probably due to playing fantasy football), but now that the NFL season is coming to a close, my need for Tecmo goes through the roof!

I have just begun working on a 1996 season ROM for the SNES. The Jaguars are replacing the Jets. The Panthers are replacing the Saints. The Ravens are replacing the Browns. This should be interesting.

The small ones are pretty easy to figure out...it's only 4 colors...in my docs, I have which teams share what palette and what colors are in the palette, I think. Some day I'll get around to making that all public again. I just haven't had time...been playing the board game version of tecmo (strat-o-matic). Also for baseball...plus another kid on the way in 10 weeks (#3, yikes) has really got me not wanting to be on my computer much doing anything.

• 5 months later...

Seeing the helmet string mapped out would be AWESOME. Am I being too optimistic to think you'd do this for the large AND small helmets? Also, I am a huge SNES TSB fan and appreciate the fact that you keep the torch burning so brightly for the SNES version. Strangely enough, my interest in Tecmo wanes when real football is on (probably due to playing fantasy football), but now that the NFL season is coming to a close, my need for Tecmo goes through the roof!

I have just begun working on a 1996 season ROM for the SNES. The Jaguars are replacing the Jets. The Panthers are replacing the Saints. The Ravens are replacing the Browns. This should be interesting.

That 1994 rom you made was brilliant. I loved playing. All that is missing is someone to go in and edit the uniforms to the throwback, since afterall 1994 was the 75th Anniversary year. 49ers wore the white pants, Saints had those ugly 1970's throwbacks, Patriots wore throwbacks here and there, the Steelers and Packers both had ugly throwbacks.

I wish I knew how to do it. I've been dying to update the original rom itself with uniforms. Such as fixing the Cowboys and having Tampa Bay and Cleveland wear their white uniforms from time to time.

I think Houston, Tampa, and Cleveland are the 3 teams in the entire game that never wear the white uniform. They always have their home uniforms on. I always thought Cleveland looked better in the all white anyway.

• 1 month later...

Someone help me please? A somewhat newbie here..

1. I tried to use the built in search code function of the ZSNES emulator, to try and change values of the stats, and for some reason I can never narrow the search results down enough, much less get any results out of it. Why is this? I've successfully 'hacked' out codes in other games, but this game is weird.

2. Also, I managed to find and download the TSBm 2000 program but I can't get the ROM to work after editing some stats. What I did:

Opened the program, went to Import Data, loaded my TSB1.smc, changed a few Cowboys stats, went to Export Data and saved as TSB1 SNES type. All fine so far...

But when I try to load my game it always says checksum fail and black screens. I can't load the game.

What did I do wrong? Can anyone help me, please?

Edited by tp9191