A. Hawley

P. Leffler

M. Leible

J. King

M. Gervais

1st Annual Chicago Tecmo Super Bowl Tournament

When: Saturday, October 23, 2010

Registration/Check-In:

Session 1: 12:00 P.M. CST; 12:30 P.M. CST kickoff. Session 2: 3:00 P.M. CST; 3:30 CST kickoff.

Location: Galway Bay, 500 W. Diversey Pkwy. Chicago, IL 60614

Maximum participants: 64

Buy-in: $30 (includes, buffett, and unlimited Miller Light Drafts)

Prizes: First Place – 1st Annual Chicago Tecmo Super Bowl trophy, and cash prize. Second Place – cash prize, Third Place – cash prize.

Signup: [email protected]

Tournament format:

Each participant will be placed into groups, based on knowledge of players skill level (4 max per group). Group play then determines seeding into the single elimination portion of the tournament, with ONLY 32 players advancing from group play and into the single elimination portion of the tournament.

Game play:

Coin flip.

Coin flip winner chooses whether to defer or pick the team matchup.

Depending on what the flip winner does, the flip loser chooses which team he/she wants in that matchup or will be able to choose the matchup if winner deferred.

Teams and sides will be chosen at this point, all depending on what the coin flip winner's initial decision following the flip. Once the single elimination portion of the tournament has begun, you will not be able to play in a match-up that has the same teams twice.

Tournament Rules:

1. No throwing equipment or intentionally damaging equipment. Doing so will result in a forfeit from the tournament.

2. No looking at an opponent’s controller or eye movement when picking plays

3. If equipment fails during the game, games will be replayed from the start unless it is halftime. After halftime, scores are taken from the first half and another half is played. Scores from each half are added together to form final score. Kickoffs are as they should have been if malfunctioned game had played through.

4. NO lurching (dive tackling over the line of scrimmage with a DL). DL is allowed, but you must either drop back into coverage or go outside the offensive tackle to rush.

5. Onsides kicks are OK anytime (aka, at your own risk).

6. Fourth man down (ROLB) is allowed for use on XPs, AND on FG attempts.

7. A WR or TE may play at the RB2 position ONLY (cannot play as RB1), but cannot receive direct handoffs, or pitches (reverses acceptable). Players jersey number easily determines the position(s) the player is able to play (80-89).

8. Playbook changes are allowed.

9. Discuss on whether the two opponents before the game starts if they would like to see in-game coin toss or not. It is random, so it doesn't matter. I, myself, prefer to see the actual toss. So discuss it amongst yourselves. I would advise if the toss is witnessed. But that's not my call. Talk to each other.

**If both parties agree to forego any of rules 5 through 9 before a game, then it’s acceptable.**

Equipment information:

Bring any consoles, cartridges, adaptors and controllers you can get your hands on. Also equipment such as power strips, extension cords, and smaller televisions would be extremely helpful as well. Please let me know if you can bring any sort of equipment along with you!

Thanks everyone, and hope to see you in October!

Eric O’Dell

Chicago Tournament Director

[email protected]

Groups have been determined. Please make sure you are aware of what session you are a part of, whether it is the 12:00 or 3:00 P.M. check in times!

Official Signup: [email protected]

post-1827-13413728527257_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I've never understood the "no 4th man down on FG's" rule. Maybe it has something to do with online lag?

Pretty lame when someone, in a tight 4th quarter or overtime game, can simply reach midfield and kick the game winner without any fear of a block. It's especially painful in overtime. All the receiving team needs is a few first downs and the game is over. At least with 4th man down, there is the threat of a block. I realize teams with a good LB3 can block kicks, but it's very rare. FG's, in my opinion, should not be a free 3 points. Bring back the adventure of FG's. What do you say Commish?

I am also used to playing that 4th man down is fair game. FGs should be pretty automatic to an experienced player, so I think allowing 4th man adds to the challenge and also factors in when choosing teams. The first time I ran into the "no 4th man down" rule (the only time, in fact) was when I played online last winter. I'll be cool either way, but if I had my druthers I'd say allow it.

Still do not have quite a few guys signed up, who were slated to come to the, now defunct Ryder Cup. Please signup at: [email protected]

Still waiting to hear from:

Madison:

Rickster (Rick Reyes is a confirmed guest. Is this you rickster?)

Peter

James

Milwaukee:

Rico (ryan33fulcher)

Kevin Miller

Jimmy B?

Chicago:

AllAmerican

Ryan K

Nebraska/Kansas:

Buck

Rod Woodson

Indiana:

Tecmopsycho

New York:

Mort

Louis B.

Stratis C.

Texas:

Jeid

513 BOYS!?

What kind of local advertising are you guys doing? I would think there would be a ton of people in Chicago who would be interested in this.

Yeah, that was the main reason why we ended up nixing the Ryder Cup idea, was because we felt it wasn't a good idea considering how many locals would be interested in this. The bar owner wanted to put up fliers and such. I don't believe he has quite just yet, so I'll have to get with him on that, and see how it is coming.

Anyone care to make up a flier? I would be extremely appreciative!

The bar feels that it is best if we do the fliers for the event. So I am asking a favor of all of you: Care to create a flier for the event? To those out there who may have some photoshop skills please get at me! We would really like to put them up at the bar, and possibly elsewhere around the city, in hopes of getting alot of locals out to this event. As of now we are at just 14 participants I believe, so we are hoping for many more to signup over the upcoming weeks. Let me know if you can help out. Thanks a ton guys!

O'Dell

Still waiting to hear from:

Madison:

Rickster (Rick Reyes is a confirmed guest. Is this you rickster?)

The real Rickster is not Rick Reyes. The real Rickster is constantly raging, worshiping the Tecmo gods, or rolling with Chuck Long at QB. He also claims to prefer slow receivers. Not sure if Rickster and his buddy, the self-proclaimed "skunkerofbestinworld," will make the trip. I will instruct them to send an email.

I'm trying to put something together to come for this. Not sure if able to or not as my bday is the 22nd and have to make sure fam doesn't have anything big planned for me BUT keep me in the loop as gonna try to fly out of NYC or CT Thursday the 21st - [email protected]

Great to see some interest from some of the newer players out there! Guys, please sign up at [email protected] to get on the official confirmation list if you have not already. Please include your AIM name, or some kind of gamer tag, that I may or may not know you by, along with your actual name, and preferred email address. We are currently up to 22 players, and still looking for plenty more!

I no longer need someone to work on a flyer for me, and my fiance is taking care of this. She is a great artist, and I know she is going to come up with something great for us!

Lastly, please let me know what items you can bring to the tourney, game carts, nintendos, rf cords/av cords, ac adapters, game controllers, tv's etc, etc. The bar has quite a bit of this, but it would be very helpful to have as many backups as we possibly can! [email protected]

Great to see some interest from some of the newer players out there! Guys, please sign up at [email protected] to get on the official confirmation list if you have not already. Please include your AIM name, or some kind of gamer tag, that I may or may not know you by, along with your actual name, and preferred email address. We are currently up to 22 players, and still looking for plenty more!

I no longer need someone to work on a flyer for me, and my fiance is taking care of this. She is a great artist, and I know she is going to come up with something great for us!

Lastly, please let me know what items you can bring to the tourney, game carts, nintendos, rf cords/av cords, ac adapters, game controllers, tv's etc, etc. The bar has quite a bit of this, but it would be very helpful to have as many backups as we possibly can! [email protected]

Let me know when you get this so i can plaster all over the internet

Just wanted to shoot you guys out a quick update: We are up to 27 participants. My fiance, who has her degree in Industrial Design, is just finishing up the flyer for the tournament, and it looks absolutely amazing! Once we get that up in the bar, this week, I would expect another 10+ locals as well.

We are still fielding a maximum of 64 tourney spots, so make sure to get your registration in: [email protected]

Lastly please email me if you can bring any sort of equipment including, controllers, nes consoles, tsb games, rf/av cords, ac adapters, tv's etc. We should be good, but it's always better safe than sorry.

Final registration will be Wednesday, October 20, so sign up at tecmochicago@gmail if you have not already! Can't wait guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, just wanted to shoot out a quick update. We are up to 35 participants, and the flyer has just been completed. I moved back to Detroit this week, from Chicago, so things have been pretty hectic as of late. I mailed the flyers to Nolan, the owner of the bar today, and he plans on posting them up around the bar.

With 3 weeks left to go, and locals bound to sign up, we very well might be able to get up to our 64 maximum participants. If we do reach 64, I will be taking alternates.

Thursday, October 20, 2010 - will be the our registration deadline, so if you have any friends that were considering, please make sure they sign up ASAP!

I do know many of you personally through online play, and tournament participation - but if I have not been in contact with you at any other point in time, outside of this tournament, please let me. I'd like to get to know you a little better, and find out whether you are an online and/or console player, so I can start to sort out our group play portion of the tournament. How well you perform in your group (4 players), will determine seeding into the single elimination portion of the tournament. Overall record (of the 3 games) will be the first thing looked at, followed by point differential.

Lastly, please let me know if there is anyway you can bring any kind of equipment to the event, including NES, controllers, ac adapters, a/v and/or rf cords, TSB, etc.

Below is the flyer my beloved fiance, Megan produced. Can't wait guys!

Sincerely yours,

Eric O'Dell

Chicago Tournament Director

post-1827-1341372852494_thumb.jpg

Due to time constraints, a tournament procedure has been modified. Now, ONLY 32 players will be advancing out of group play and into the single elimination portion of the tournament - rather than all 64. Each player will still be guaranteed at least 3 games during the group play portion of the tournament.

In addition to the regular gaming equipment I'm asking of players to bring, also equipment such as power strips, extension cords, and smaller televisions would be extremely helpful as well. Please let me know if you can bring any sort of equipment along with you! Thanks guys! See yah real soon!

Two weeks to go... can't wait! Chicago + Tecmo + flowing Miller Lite + MSU @ Northwestern that weekend + surprise appearance by Cap Boso = da bomb! (ok, I'm wishing on the Cap sighting).

O'Dell, since you're moving back to the D we should see if a Detroit-area tournament would be possible. Or at least get a regular Tecmo night going somewhere.

Oh wow! Finally, a TSB Tournament comes to Chicago! Me and my buddy Anthony (HYPO) would definitely like to attend.

So do I just send you an email at [email protected] to register?

My friend Anthony recently signed up the the ESPN tournament. He went to Finn Mccools last night and got ousted by someone. The rules kind of sucked though. They only had one matchup to choose from: Chicago Bears vs Houston Oilers. Everyone had to play with those two teams. Bears are playing Carolina Panthers this week and since Carolina is not on the Original TSB rom, they substituted Houston for Carolina. Each game was only for two 5 minute quarters since they wanted to give everyone who registered a chance to play. They did not allow anyone to change their playbooks. HYPO won the cointoss and picked HOU, but his opponent schooled him 17-0, haha! There is one more chance to qualify next Thursday at Moretti's Pizzeria (in Edison Park). He'll probably go again to try to qualify.

But anyways, this tournament you guys are having sounds like the REAL DEAL. Please provide more details about registration. :wink:

Me and my friend would definitely like to sign up!

Thanks!

VanDamon

[email protected]

You almost had me on the Cap Boso sighting thing toolie. I was thinking, I don't have him signed up yet! haha. Yeah, I'm back in the mitten now. So we'll have to get together sometime for sure for a Tecmo night.

Totally agree that those rules for the ESPN1000 tourney are quite strange, but hey, it's Tecmo. It definitely is a tournament that more or less is kind of acting as a random draw to win BCS Championship game tickets, rather than something for just the best TSB player. I advanced, so I'm happy about that. heh. But Damon, I have you signed up now as well, and make sure you buddy emails [email protected] asap to get signed up!