4Play Studios presents: Tecmo Bowl 32

TecmoTurd

I'd be glad to send you a copy when I get home and you can be one of my testers. Currently, it doesn't allow you to change team names and once it does thT, I'll send you a copy. In the meantime, I'll send you the tool format so you can start your editing.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

Couple of quick observations from goofing around for half an hour with the rom.

HP needs to be turned down a little. Peterson is making enough popcorn to feed a movie theatre. Fun as hell against the computer but way over the top against a human. Defenders like Jared Allen with juiced up HP just blast through the oline and come in for the sack on regular passing plays. This doesn't happen in the original and really is kinda game changing. Even the CLE RE (Smith?) was blasting through the lineman coming in for the sack as soon as I dropped back.

Minor schedule bugs. One's I saw: DAL's 1st game isn't against WSH and KC should be playing SD week 1 not CLE.

The split backfield blocking fix appears to work perfectly. Amazing. Makes sense to add it to NO. Adding it for NYJ is good on paper because it gets Greene into the game and they are probably going to be a true split backfield (until week 5 at least when they realize LDT is toast anyway) but because of the pass plays the split back playbook is very very good. You can have all minimum talent players and still make serious hey. I don't see the Jets as a heymaking offense.

Dialing back RB speed is probably a good move. Once a RB is up to the Dickerson/Payton skill level it makes the offense incredibly dangerous. So a team like Jacksonville, who is mediocre at best on offense in real life, is very dangerous in the rom because of MJD's skills.

Love this rom.

In general those HP ratings are meant to be for playing the computer, I think. The rom you're playing might have Tecmo-Turds juice as well, since I don't remember seeing it that much in my latest addition. But yeah, vs Humans it hurts the offense too much.

At first I agreed with you about LA's playbook. But keep in mind that the Raiders have amazing personnel. They have the best receiving Corps, Bo, and a Second back that has Hershel Walker speed, its ridiculous. Their playbook has a very good variation of That Damn pass, and a slightly worse CHI dump variant. What would the Raiders offense would be like with 0/6s at TE and WR, a 9/3/3 at Bo's spot(Greene), and a 8/2/3 at Allen's. This would severely hinder the Jet's ability to get easy first downs on the pass, much like Denver's, and would probably lower the offense down to average, or even below. Keep in mind the Jets had a pretty decent running game last year.

I'll make this quick cause my phone service is limited. HP is still being tweaked, especially Steven Jackson and Peterson. See previous comments regarding schedule. As for speed, well see, but at some point, players still need their speed, as the rest of the team can be adjusted if needed. It's about studs and duds, and I don't think it takes away from the gameplay that much. MJD makes jax fun to play with. We can chat more when I get back to civilization. Thanks for the feedback. A new ROM will come soon.

Ps, since this is both Warren and my rom, all changes will need to be agreed upon. That's just how we roll.

Missed the part on RB speeds. I could be convinced to lower MJD to Payton Speed quite easily, and maybe even to Curt Warner levels. The Jaguars have one serviceable player on the defense, so I think it would be fine if we gave him a 10/4/3. If the JAX offense proves to be to strong, we can give them a crappy playbook like WAS with a fixed WR reverse.

Hey guys,

Loved the new 32 team format. The only problem I saw, and it's a minor one, is a glitch on Neil Rackers' name. His name was scrambled but I was able to fix it with my hex editor. Looks his name was in small letters and needed to be in CAPS, on my editor anyways. Other than that I think you did a fantastic job! :)

New ROM in the first post...changes include:

- Lowered ADP and Steven Jackson HP to 80, so now they can only popcorn 48s and 32s

- Moved Forsett into the RB role for SEA, and Mathews for SD

- Lowered MJD's MS to 10

- Updated some team palettes (more will be tweaked in final ROM)

- Included a .PAL file in the zip (provided by jstout) that you can load with nestopia. This file was made to make the color palette look more like NES on a TV. (Options, Video, Palette in the lower left corner)

I'm thinking one more final update will be coming soon and we'll call this final for the pre-season.

I agree, the presentation is better. I think 4 plays works perfectly for this game. If we add more plays and start throwing in fumbles and whatnot, it becomes TSB. I enjoy it for what it is, and to me, that's a fresh alternative thT keeps with the tecmo spirit. Plus, games take even less time to play, so it's just a quick bit of fun with little time commitment.

Looking forward to seeing the NCAA rims that come out of this m

i agree. If you keep adding and adding and changing, eventually you'll lose the original goal. That has been me and DH's problem. We had to eventually shut down the creativity and tinkering, and start polishing the fianl product. As far as plays go, if it is like the TSBoms, it is mostly pointers, and you can do a lot of tricks if you don't settle on switching pointers, and actually learn what the ai string is doing. Great workon this btw, really impressed. You have been kinda holding back on us, claiming to only like to make editors. :) seems there is some hex hacking in your blood. And one final thought, taing players is a bitch, you fix want weighted issue, and another pops up. Try editing 1000+ student athletes. Iam almost done, and am still not satisfied. But eventually i have to come up with my "formula", so again, mad pros to you. Can't wait to start our CK edit. I think me and DH will blow that one away in short time, and get you the data for the editor right after.

Well, I am not a pro at assembly by any means, but I learn quick with the hex if I put my mind to it. I have to know how to do that to write editors! jstout is a great partner because he's smart and knows exactly where to find shit. The play-hacking stuff i'm going to sit down this week to learn what the AI is doing, and learn the pointer stuff as well. I hope this eventually helps me with editing TSB plays, but for now, my heart belongs to editing TB.

I'll get you and the other fellas an editor beta very soon to start messing with stuff and give me feedback. I want to see some cool NCAA roms come out of this for sure.

I can't get the interest, but I think a TB league using owner's home high school would be very cool.

i like the high school idea. i see 3 run plays with the wishbone. I know when me and DH are done, we are thinking of getting a TSB3 league based on our beta, where people will own there teams, and we can do yearly ROM updates and draft the rookies. Kinda a fantasy dynasty league. I am up for all the logo editing and creating unique plays for the league. hopefully the editor can do a sort of scramble of player atts on the "rookies" Hell, that would work for your ROM as well. Later. Gotta be up at 5 to solve some more inventory issues.

I got the city location stuff today, and there are 4 places I need to write stuff to. I have 2 out of the 4 completed, the other two will come this week. I then hope to do one final sweep through rosters and colors, run it all past my partner in crime, WMB, and hopefully call this thing done. Then I'll release the editor to a few cats to test and give me feedback...thanks for being patient fatty...