buck's "HighSpeed" 2010 NFL TSB ROM - SUPER BOWL update 2/05

buck

I am aware why you did it. That's part of the results from making the ROM so fast moving. You don't have to defend the ROM. My point is--make the defense better. Instead of thinking that cheaping out the COM is the only way to create a challenge, just keep tweaking the defenses making them more balanced.

WEEK 12 WRAP-UP:

The RAMS are currently 7 - 4 with my using one hand on a keyboard to control a MAN season. I've lost two games cheaply. One in overtime to the magic jumping defenders in a button-hook route. And one from a FG that I blocked, and picked up by their team by a player who none of my team could catch. He returned it for 50 YDS.

397 Points For

302 Points Against

1st in Total Offense

27th in PASS

1st in RUSH

27th in Total Defense

3rd against the PASS

Last against the RUSH

Bradford is 2nd in PASSING with 106 attempts, 70.7%, 1711 YDS, 13TD, 4INT

Jackson is 1st in RUSHING with 130 attempts, 1704 YDS, 35TDs

Detroit Lions Season using "Week 8 passcreen 3" version.

played most of the season up late last night drinking beer, finished regular season this morning. finished playoffs just now.

here's the results-

-------

SEASON STATS

Detroit Lions (using default playbook entire season)

record 10-6

476 points for, 419 points against (yes, I got blown out a few times)

7th in total offense - 4500

4th in pass offense - 3431

26th in rush offense - 1069 (didn't really try to run until playoffs)

4th in total defense - 3746

1st in pass defense - 2188

24th in rush defense - 1516

PLAYER STATS - Offense

Stafford 145/249 for 3285 yards, 42 TD, 21 INT. 32 rush for 329.

J Best 107 for 636, 10 TD

C Johnson 84 receptions for 2038 yds, 31 TD

Pettigrew 29 receptions for 450

3 Team Kickoff Return TDs

PLAYER STATS - Defense

C Houston 4 INTS

J Peterson 18 Sacks (most used defensive player)

----------------------

PLAYOFFS (did not get 1st round bye)

(I decided to get the run game going for the playoffs)

35-28 over GB

j best 11 for 173, 4 TD

stafford 62% 188, 1 INT, 1 TD

c johnson 3 131

-------

56-42 over ATL

j best 13 for 121 2 TD

stafford 83% 178, 5 TD

c johnson 5 110, 4 TD

ATL's turner had over 200 rushing on me

-------

NFC CHAMPIONSHIP vs NO Saints

I'm up 14-0 at half-time...

saints DEF gets 1 pick 6,

and 2 Fumble recovery TDs,

another fumble recovery inside my 10 sets up FG

... all in the 3rd quarter.

that's 24 defensive points in 3rd quarter. (14-24)

calvin johnson injured 1st play of 4th quarter.

I score quick, 21-24

NO scores quick, 21-31

I return KO for TD, 27-31

I onside kick - I get it, with 1:20 left in 4th quarter, down by 3.

with 42 seconds left, a 50 yd TD to "the other Johnson WR", 35-31

game, son. 35-31

j best 12 for 101, 3 TD

stafford 81% 245, 1 TD, 1 INT

DET defense held brees to 50 % 137 0 TD, RBs 7 rushes for 0 yds, 0 TD.

-------

SUPER BOWL vs KC CHIEFS (in pepto jerseys)

(calvin johnson did not return for the super bowl...watched from hospital)

I'm up 20-0 at half-time (missed XP, head up ass)

KC recovers fumble for TD, 20-7

next drive, KC recovers fumble at my 20. they score TD to Bowe, 20-14

I score quick after returning KO to KC 10, 27-14

with 3:50 left in game, KC scores on long run, 27-21

I run out the 3+ min, running with Best

game. 27-21

J Best (in BAD) -> 20 for 207, 3 TD

Stafford, 75% 124, 1TD 1 INT

held KC to 12 carries for 82 yds, 33% for 48 yds and an Int

RAMS Season using one hand and my keyboard to control MAN games with "Week 8 passcreen 3" version.

-------

SEASON STATS

RAMS (using default playbook entire season)

record 11-5

586 points for, 448 points against

1st in total offense - 5643

24th in pass offense - 2644

1st in rush offense - 3014

27th in total defense - 4905

3rd in pass defense - 2345

Last in rush defense - 2560

I was not trying to sack much.

PLAYER STATS - Offense

Bradford 110/158 for 2575 yards, 23 TD, 5 INT. 103 rush for 670.

S Jackson 194 for 2332, 47 TD

L Robinson 47 receptions for 702 yds, 4 TD

D. Fells 22 receptions for 980 9 TD

5 INT TD returns out of 10 picks.

*** I call BS on three of my five losses.

PLAYOFF BRACKET:

buck01.pngbuck02.png

Video made using Buck's High-Speed 2010-11 ROM. It's the NFC Championship, beyotch. I'm the RAMS vs. the CPU. I'm playing using my right hand and the keyboard Arrow keys, CTRL and INS. With my left hand, I'm holding a J. It impaired my fingers in the 4th when I blow an open WR down below because I get an itchy finger and throw too soon. I swore at myself for that one. Otherwise, fun game.

The ending goes to my opinions about some game engine changes. :)

Without further adeuuuuuu...

RAMS vs. SAINTS

CLICK HERE FOR THE MOVIE!

entertaining. one engine change I certainly need to make is to pull S Jackson speed back a bit...I kinda forget about him down there in the NFC West.

Video made using Buck's High-Speed 2010-11 ROM. It's the NFC Championship, beyotch. I'm the RAMS vs. the CPU. I'm playing using my right hand and the keyboard Arrow keys, CTRL and INS. With my left hand, I'm holding a J. It impaired my fingers in the 4th when I blow an open WR down below because I get an itchy finger and throw too soon. I swore at myself for that one. Otherwise, fun game.

The ending goes to my opinions about some game engine changes. :)

Without further adeuuuuuu...

RAMS vs. SAINTS

CLICK HERE FOR THE MOVIE!

So, here are my final thoughts now a day removed from the majority of my season playing. The lasting-impressions, if you will...

1. The jumping kills me.

2. The color palettes need some adjusting. :)

3. The game is f*cking fun, for sure. Some of the new plays are killer. Some aren't. Some simply need tweaking (like in the blocking scheme), including the playbook graphics for a couple of them. I think there are some tiles you weren't using. You should think about drawing a downward pitch-out graphic. It'll help. I did that in my ROM.

4. The difficulty is fun, but I'm not crazy about the Mario Kart booster A.I.. That's personal opinion, no doubt. :)

3 strong Yaks out of 4!

So, here are my final thoughts now a day removed from the majority of my season playing. The lasting-impressions, if you will...

1. The jumping kills me.

2. The color palettes need some adjusting. :)

3. The game is f*cking fun, for sure. Some of the new plays are killer. Some aren't. Some simply need tweaking (like in the blocking scheme), including the playbook graphics for a couple of them. I think there are some tiles you weren't using. You should think about drawing a downward pitch-out graphic. It'll help. I did that in my ROM.

4. The difficulty is fun, but I'm not crazy about the Mario Kart booster A.I.. That's personal opinion, no doubt. :)

3 strong Yaks out of 4!

feel free to mention particular plays/graphics, otherwise I'm left guessing. and I'll take any advice on color palettes, too - like I said, the color scheme is a result of severe exposure.

ps - thanks for the 75% grade, very encouraging. what are there, like 3 or 4 people in the world making extreme custom NES hacks? almost makes me want pull out my old potty mouth...but I won't.

don't feel so hard up. 3 yaks out of 4 is a great score. i see where you're going with the ROM, and it deserves it's place in must-plays. but we're all a ways off from making what we're intending with our own creations, i feel. maybe that's just me. i haven't played xplozv's latest rom yet. that's next.

again, this is with me saying that knowing my own game has a long, looooong ways yet to go (particularly now that MAN functionality is back in).

I make these roms for me and my friends 1st and foremost. there is nothing good or bad or mediocre that anyone can type on this forum that will misdirect the purpose or the pride I have of this particular ROM I've put together.

besides the new defensive jump hack (and obvious "pace increase"), this hack is supposed to be an improved Original Ganster TSB - with play-picking and the standard 3-4 defenses - because we love TSB like that. and we give this rom 99/100 bucks. and that is great...not perfect, but still great.

how many MAN v MAN games have you played of this ROM? I've probably played 100 full games. Write back after you play a few MAN games with someone else who decently knows the ROM. all this COM talk is boring as hell anyways.

it has been a work in progress for quite a while - and since I "released" the 1st version a couple months ago, has become even better - thanks to real feedback from knobbe.org visitors.

I get a kick out of this TSB community and I have received a shitload of good help and hacking-advice from good guys. And it feels kind of good knowing that other "strangers" can have fun with my hobby of the last couple years. other than that, vague/misguided feedbackers can go take a piss.

don't feel so hard up. 3 yaks out of 4 is a great score. i see where you're going with the ROM, and it deserves it's place in must-plays. but we're all a ways off from making what we're intending with our own creations, i feel. maybe that's just me. i haven't played xplozv's latest rom yet. that's next.

again, this is with me saying that knowing my own game has a long, looooong ways yet to go (particularly now that MAN functionality is back in).

you are such a girl sometimes, you know that, sally? i said the ROM was a ton of fun. i even said 'f*cking fun.' i can imagine what it's like vs. a MAN opponant. i am not a retard. it doesn't take stephen hawking to project a TSB experience after a few games of playing to understand how the edits have changed the game.

what do you need me to do, lick your balls? i played a season of your ROM; i haven't even played a whole season of my own ROM all the way through. :)

Yeah, seriously weird post by buck...you never struck me as a guy who couldn't take criticism before, what ups buck? As for MGK's COM posts, I think they are pretty cool...without that stuff, this site would be completely dead most of the time...last time I checked this board is for Tecmo related stuff, and all he was doing was talking about tecmo under the context of your ROM...I don't get the sandy vagina act...

what's wrong with the post I made? I said what I wanted to say - and I said what I think.

criticism received:

"Some not good plays" (but even though I've asked which ones, I get no reply)

"don't like Def Jumping" (too bad. in MAN context, it works nicely)

"bad colors"

"COM is too hard"

3 of these are what they are. The other would be readily addressed. But since I get no specifics, what the hell can I say?

whatever.

I think everyone needs to chill out here. From what I gathered from random posts, Krebs is an actor(?) Honest feedback and honest self-critique is a huge part of success in that trade, so I can appreciate his candidness. He thinks that the game experience could be improved by polishing the aesthetics like palette choice and tweaking some aspects of COM play. Those things are important to him and probably many others. However, I do think recording a match against the COM doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than showing off against a feeble AI, unless he's trying to demonstrate his complaints about the jumping defensive backs. It certainly wasn't to critique the new plays or even the "Mario Kart" AI since he kept running it up the middle and zig-zagging to the end zone with the good ol' onesetback dive we all know from the original TSB (and any human would stuff using a lurch or a linebacker). Personally, I prefer the absence of diving when I sit in zone coverage. I don't have to worry about my entire secondary turning into Keystone cops when a receiver catches a pass in the seam. But that's coming from the POV of MAN play, and buck obviously caters towards that audience.

I play a lot of 2D fighters, and you certainly wouldn't play those games for the single player experience (often containing the worst stories and least difficult AIs) or even the graphics (often beautiful, but not to the tastes of most since they lack 3D realism). The only real enjoyment comes from competition with other players, which requires mastering the system that exists underneath the sprites. I may choose a character for its design, at first, but after a while all I care about are the invisible rectangle hit boxes and frame data. Now, I'm not saying Krebs is a casual gamer whose opinion is automatically invalid because he doesn't have the same tastes in games. On the contrary, his critique is valid since a lot of those fighting games I enjoy aren't commercial successes for the very same criticisms. He's basically saying this ROM could be the Street Fighter 4 of TSB hacked ROMs (a hit commercially as well as with the hardcore community) if buck really puts in the effort to polish up the graphics and tweak the drone behavior for certain plays and situations. However, buck doesn't make any money doing this, admits he spends time doing it mostly for his group of friends, shares it online only because he can, and therefore has little incentive to do a graphic overhaul if he really doesn't feel like it. Personally, I prefer the old 2009 ROM's menu palette. And Tom Brady spiking the ball with pink wristbands is hilarious.

I will say that buck's playbook contains the widest array of new (or simply altered), useful plays in MAN vs. MAN games. In the original TSB, 75% of the plays were garbage and only a handful were competitive, even if you banned lurching. Balancing what's too good and what's useless is a tricky business that even professional developers rarely get right in testing and often require multiple iterations of the same damn game to iron out (how many versions of Street Fighter are there?). So in his week X beta versions, stop me if I'm being presumptuous, but I think he's looking more for MAN vs. MAN balance suggestions than full Gamespot reviews.

The video's were to promote Buck's ROM, actually. Nothing but. The games were fun. I wouldn't spend over an hour encoding it to .AVI and uploading 400 MEG videos to my own host server if it was just to show videos of me zig-zagging and running around the A.I.. I think we all understand how ridiculous TSB A.I. is.

And I'm not upset with, Buck, guys. So, no TSB UN Meetings are needed in the forum.

By my calculations, I expect visits from Old Man Crabby-Ass Buck at least once a month. :)

3 of these are what they are. The other would be readily addressed. But since I get no specifics, what the hell can I say?

You gave me all of 24 hours to respond to your request for specifics. What am I, you're f*cking secretary? :) I've already written two pages of notes about my impressions of the game. And your responses to my general criticism don't exactly bode well for my interests to peruse how you handle more detailed, and harder criticism.

The dude who wrote above that I'm an actor (and thus, work within the realm of professional criticism on a near-daily basis) is right-on. And yes, you're right. The shit that I wrote about in response to the ROM was not point-by-point detail of my observations. Doing so would have made my two pages six pages--and I don't have six pages in me.

I'm sorry to hear that, MGK. Keep your head up.

I am totally bowing out of this. Just found out minutes ago that I didn't get a job after the most epic interview process I've ever been through. I want to destroy things with my bare hands right now.

Great job on the ROM, Buck. Everyone should play it.

The Panthers made the playoffs. Buck, you might want to check some of the sim stats. If you sim 30 seasons in a row, the panthers shouldn't make the playoffs once.

I disagree. It's TSB, every team should have a chance. Geez I sound so pc. Yuck.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

The Panthers made the playoffs. Buck, you might want to check some of the sim stats. If you sim 30 seasons in a row, the panthers shouldn't make the playoffs once.

I disagree. It's TSB, every team should have a chance. Geez I sound so pc. Yuck.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

I don't know how much simming simulation you've done - but it isn't an exact science. there is randomness and different schedules involved and MAN controlled teams can knock-out would-be playoff contenders.

anyways, this NFL season as much as any shows how much "parody" can be involved, even in real life.

but Philly, you're right, and I will reduce the sim values of CAR. I honestly haven't spent very much time with team sim values up to this point, just did an edit a couple of weeks ago. besides CAR being in the playoffs, the rest look pretty believable.

What's a pass creen?

Seriously though, this rom is the shit. I have always appreciated a challenge when it came to sports games and this ROM definitely provides that. Running up the score/accumulating stats is boring to me. I actually up the speed on Nestopia about 15 or so from the default value to make it slightly faster and more difficult vs. the COM so you need to make quicker decisions. Playing defense is a bitch though. My games usually combine for a good 80+ points with the opposing RB rushing about 10 times for 300 yards.

I do agree with MGK though, the defender jumping could be toned down slightly. Nothing worse than being in a tight game, having perfect position on the WR and you jump and whiff. Love the no diving aspect as this opens up the passing game and the kicking formation on XP and FG is money. I don't usually critique rosters since they can easily be changed, but from the games I've played they seem to be spot on.

My biggest gripe about the game is you removed my favorite pass play from pass slot 2.

post-6125-13413728627676_thumb.png

I don't know how much simming simulation you've done - but it isn't an exact science. there is randomness and different schedules involved and MAN controlled teams can knock-out would-be playoff contenders. anyways, this NFL season as much as any shows how much "parody" can be involved, even in real life.

but Philly, you're right, and I will reduce the sim values of CAR. I honestly haven't spent very much time with team sim values up to this point, just did an edit a couple of weeks ago. besides CAR being in the playoffs, the rest look pretty believable.

Buck, you really think Philly is right? So you think some teams deserve zero chance at making the playoffs or are you saying you'll just lower Carolina's chances?

I don't know how much simming simulation you've done - but it isn't an exact science. there is randomness and different schedules involved and MAN controlled teams can knock-out would-be playoff contenders. anyways, this NFL season as much as any shows how much "parody" can be involved, even in real life.

Buck, you really think Philly is right? So you think some teams deserve zero chance at making the playoffs or are you saying you'll just lower Carolina's chances?

it is almost impossible to guarantee that any team will never make the playoffs (given the random nature, scheduleing, and MAN controlled teams knocking-out "better" teams). So even if I tried, a team that's set to "not make the playoffs" will still make it sometimes.

I've done a lot of simulated seasons - altering this and that - and there are few guarantees. anyways, I'm with you Fats, I don't mind a little parody. I haven't had time to even look at what CAR is set at right now (should make it home within the hour) - could be that they're already 0,0!