buck's "HighSpeed" 2010 NFL TSB ROM - SUPER BOWL update 2/05

buck

Just won the Super Bowl with the Titans v GB! Final Score 28-23. What a rewarding season. The ROM is so challenging that winning it all gives me great satisfaction- genuine excitement as I've said before. Thanks to Buck and Knobbe.org for creating this magical place and keeping TSB alive! If this sounds like an awards acceptance speech then it's probably because I just won the Super Bowl on Buck's ROM. I am going to try the week 6 version, and try to win it without leaning on CJ all the time when I need to. I just had to use ANY means necessary to win games on this ROM, but with a title under my belt I need to add that next element and be a little more balanced about things. Quick synopsis: went 11-4 with a Wild Card berth before rolling thru playoffs and winning the SB. I had a very obvious CJ based attack and racked up 2900+ yards on the ground and 300+ receiving. Games were VERY offensive, as both MAN and COM D's had a tough time stopping anyone. I VERY humbly only offer a general critique that just as I strive for balance in my gameplay, maybe in some way future ROMs can be created to make the overall OFF and DEF gameplay more balanced. This is NOT a complaint because this ROM is a freakin' blast. It might not even be possible, as the other ROMs have not found ANY way to present a 1p challenge such as this.

Sweet, can't wait to test it out. What's with the Miami Vice avatar? :) Were you a big fan of the show or something? ... I loved the Michael Mann reboot starring Jamie Fox and Colin Farrell. Many critics thought it was lame, but I throughly enjoyed it as with his other classic "Heat."

One day, someone should start hosting tournaments with one of your hacked roms (like Time Machine 1) or 2K11. But I guess someone would have to make multiple frontloader carts for the NES to accommodate all the players who would be interested in entering a tournament, -- since I'm sure many people won't want to play with a digital delay on a High Def television screen. I wish there was a way to make that digital delay go away.

Hey, I have a question regarding the red nintendo retro cart you bought for $135 (the one you use to download all your 8-bit roms to play on your nes). Do you know if this cart will work for any of the NES retro top loader consoles? (Sorry if my post strayed from the subject matter). Great job so far on your high speed rom.

I'm pretty sure it works with the official top loaders, but not the fx twin or knockoffs.

Just won the Super Bowl with the Titans v GB! Final Score 28-23. What a rewarding season. The ROM is so challenging that winning it all gives me great satisfaction- genuine excitement as I've said before. Thanks to Buck and Knobbe.org for creating this magical place and keeping TSB alive! If this sounds like an awards acceptance speech then it's probably because I just won the Super Bowl on Buck's ROM. I am going to try the week 6 version, and try to win it without leaning on CJ all the time when I need to. I just had to use ANY means necessary to win games on this ROM, but with a title under my belt I need to add that next element and be a little more balanced about things. Quick synopsis: went 11-4 with a Wild Card berth before rolling thru playoffs and winning the SB. I had a very obvious CJ based attack and racked up 2900+ yards on the ground and 300+ receiving. Games were VERY offensive, as both MAN and COM D's had a tough time stopping anyone. I VERY humbly only offer a general critique that just as I strive for balance in my gameplay, maybe in some way future ROMs can be created to make the overall OFF and DEF gameplay more balanced. This is NOT a complaint because this ROM is a freakin' blast. It might not even be possible, as the other ROMs have not found ANY way to present a 1p challenge such as this.

I think TT is right - only use it with official Nintendo top-loader. Or just go with a straight up ancient NES like me.

RE: Miami Vice: The avatar is "Chicago Vice" - an old-school poster with Jim McMahon and Walter Payton - each holding an UZI

PS - it was nice to meet you and Ant in Chicago last weekend. I had a good time hanging out, even though by the end of the night my throat was fucked from "talking".

Lou, congratulations! I started a season with TEN the other day, I think I'm in week 11 (maybe 2 losses so far and CJ has only missed half of a game...he's been in excellent for the last two games! ) To make the game more defensive, I could simply increase the speed (RS/RP) of defensive players across the board...I will look into it later.

New Version for Friday----

see 1st post...

ok, I quickly went through the version from last night and BUMPED all the Defensive player's RS (to make drones one notch quicker).

I also took out Romo and Clark, and tweaked some Player SIM ratings.

I think the Raiders are my new favorite team in this year's rom. Hell yes, Gradkowski, Run DMC, Miller, and Asomugha!

You'll get to it eventually, but Cameron Wake could use some stat love.

I'm guessing you're a fellow Bears fan. Include a player swap option for our offensive line. That way I can find the least terrible combination and inform Lovie Smith and Mike Tice what it is. :)

I was testing the week 6 rom some more, but still think the 4WRup nerf was harsh but necessary. The only guys on defense that blockers don't put a hat on are the LOLB and FS who are really far away from the play to begin with. Now I'm picking 4WR run down more often, to the point where if my opponent starts picking it and picking a corner or safety to defend pass, run up can catch them by surprise.

edit: In week 11, James Harrison killed Jason Campbell. I wonder if he was fined.

edit2: "Roando" McClain should be Rolando McClain.

I've noticed some mistakes on Panthers roster:

;) Dwayne Jarrett was cut some weeks ago, in the room he's one of the back-ups WR. You should add David Gettis (rookie from Baylor).

:) Wallace Wright was placed on IR before the start of the season, in the room he's one of the back-ups WR. You should add David Clowney (ex-JETS) or Devin Thomas (ex-Redskins).

;) Louis Leonard was cut after after week 1 or 2, in the room he's the starting NT. You should move Ed Johnson to that spot and put in Charles Johnson as the starting LE.

:) Everette Brown is listed twice (RE and LOLB). You should delete the RE one and put in Tyler Brayton as the starting RE.

If you fix those little things (and add the alternative version with the defensive diving--like original--) it would be a hell of a ROM IMHO.

Regards!!

;) Dwayne Jarrett was cut some weeks ago, in the room he's one of the back-ups WR. You should add David Gettis (rookie from Baylor).

:) Wallace Wright was placed on IR before the start of the season, in the room he's one of the back-ups WR. You should add David Clowney (ex-JETS) or Devin Thomas (ex-Redskins).

;) Louis Leonard was cut after after week 1 or 2, in the room he's the starting NT. You should move Ed Johnson to that spot and put in Charles Johnson as the starting LE.

:) Everette Brown is listed twice (RE and LOLB). You should delete the RE one and put in Tyler Brayton as the starting RE.

If you fix those little things (and add the alternative version with the defensive diving--like original--) it would be a hell of a ROM IMHO.

Regards!!

that's alot of players in one"room" lol

done and done - see first post

also:

GLOBAL bump of QB Pass Control (after playing MAN games with Defenses faster, decided to compensate to have less errant passes)

changed some default playbooks

added the DIVE version finally

adjusted rosters and some default playbooks

Regards!!

New Version for Friday----

see 1st post...

ok, I quickly went through the version from last night and BUMPED all the Defensive player's RS (to make drones one notch quicker).

I also took out Romo and Clark, and tweaked some Player SIM ratings.

Is this what you mean by your thread title "lots of bumps"? Or is it a pun on the bumps and bruises the league is suffering?! :)

well, some good news on the next update:

The 3 "Screen" Runs (trips WR1, 5Wide RB2, and SG WR2) are now passes!

This means - they look like a pass (instead of the pitch) and they will be counted as passing/receiving yards (instead of run yards).

So far, it's working nice - but I still need to test things a bit more to make sure there's no new bugs. Stay tuned.

well, some good news on the next update:

The 3 "Screen" Runs (trips WR1, 5Wide RB2, and SG WR2) are now passes!

This means - they look like a pass (instead of the pitch) and they will be counted as passing/receiving yards (instead of run yards).

So far, it's working nice - but I still need to test things a bit more to make sure there's no new bugs. Stay tuned.

Very cool. Are they actually passes? Like can they be off target/intercepted?

yes. some go incomplete, and I have seen one intercepted so far in my testing.

the only difference between a "regular" pass is - a MAN never has control of the QB - the play is executed and you (the WR) must wait for the QB to throw you the ball.

One thing I'd like to see (if this is even possible)... is QB's having a scrambling % based on their Max Speed. Cuz I've never seen a QB scramble on me one time.

it's possible to make the qb scramble based on the play, but not based on their MS. For this rom, I probably won't be adding (I have removed scrambling from every passing play except four or five) QB scrambles back.

If there is a specific passing play that you think would be a good one to add a scramble to, let me know and I could throw a few in.

I'm playing your ROM right now, Buck. I'll be sure to journal my reactions. Whatever I say, though, is meant to be productive. Just an FYI ahead of time. Word!

Edit: And just as a heads up, did you do anything special with the defenses?

play this version instead! this has the 3 "Screen" Passes working as actual passes...much better.

Run Slot 1 - Trips WR1, 5Wide RB2,

Run Slot 2 - SG WR2

Buck TSB 2010 HIGHSPEED Week 8 passcreen 3.zip

play this version instead! this has the 3 "Screen" Passes working as actual passes...much better.

Why not post this new version in the first thread too? By the way, I just finished a season and didn't make the playoffs. To quote the late, great Bucs Head Coach John McKay, "Well, we didn't block, but we made up for it by not tackling."

new version available - major change:

the 3 "Screen" Passes are working as actual passes/receptions...much better.

affects-

Run Slot 1 - Trips WR1, 5Wide RB2,

Run Slot 2 - SG WR2

General Intro Graphics:

[x] Feel free to use my 8-Star NFL Shield for the opening "Team NFL" graphics. Obviously, the "MGK" part, you don't need.

[x] The sky colors to the opening stadium screen are unique. I'm not sure I totally get them, other than the buildings fading into black.

[x] The white Main Menu background is briiiiiiiight.

[x] Green/Blue helmet background? Just don't get why do it, when it changes some helmet colors for the incorrect?

[x] Generally, I'm finding the color scheme in the occasional font / background combination to be distracting, and sometimes a little bold. This could just be a taste thing, but your ROM has a very tight feel in its execution, and the color scheme doesn't present me that same sense of dedication.

I'm now booting up a Preseason game. Raiders / Chiefs.

Exhibition Game:

GRAPHICS.

[x] Yellow vs. Background is Yikes!

[o] I dig that little Tecmo on-field logo. Fun!

[o] On-field numbers graphic changes. Fun!

[x] I'm not going to go through all of the jerseys, but Kansas City looks like Pepto Bismol!

[x] Play Selection Screen black field digits. Helpful because of the flashing white icon, don't get me wrong, but strange looking.

GAMEPLAY.

[o] My initial reaction to the speed increase is that I like it. Eventually, I plan to increase my ROM's game speeds, but not to this point. The speed burst from 0-mph to top acceleration is fast! One thing that helps the speed translate is how generally tight your player motions are during plays themselves.

[o] I dig your Offtackle plays. INV 01 UP = Nice.

[o] 5Wide RB2 = Nice.

[x] Trips WR1 is cool, but the blocking assignments of the RBs gets funky depending on the reactions of the ROLB, RCB and the FS. Sometimes that shit gets congested in a clusterf*ck kind of way.

[o] SGT SWEEP & FB = Simple and effective. Clean.

[o] INV 01 DN = Nice.

[x] 1B2 Trap feels a little clunky at the initial cutback.

[o] SG WR2 = Nice. Blocking of RB seems a little ineffective.

[o] SGT PWR DN = Nice.

[x] WCAT FB takes a while to unfold.

[x] 4WR DN takes a while to unfold.

[o] SG SB SW = Nice.

[o] 2TE PA = I like how the QB doesn't actually try to hand the ball off to the RB. Really dig it.

[o] I dig the GL formation plays!

[x] I've been noticing that there is A LOT of defensive jumping. These guys are jumping at tons of shit, even when they're seemingly stationary covering a halted WR. Hmmmm...

[o] Nice passing routes. Fun changes in some of these plays.

[o] Overall, great usage of play formations having strategic counterparts. Good playbook selection overall. I notice a lot of run plays crashing the center. Totally get it, though. One for each formation, at least.

[o] Love the FG Formation!

There are some over all notes. I'm ending the game early after having played each playbook option several times before loading a previous save state and shuffling through your playbooks. I dig them overall. Gonna start a season now.

OVERALL THOUGHTS SO FAR:

I dig it. I wouldn't mind some of these offensive plays. I think your general game color schemes need to be developed. Some of your playbook graphics get confusing occasionally, as well. The play execution on the offensive side is overall VERY tight. Great work.

PS - I'm not really checking for SIM stats or shit like that. Those are just numbers, and I'm going to assume if some don't match-up (which I doubt) that they'll eventually be corrected as best as possible. I'm focusing more on the 'feel' of your game.

thanks for the review, MGK. I hope you'll find some other things you like about it as you play with it a bit more.

as far as the color "schemes = "Severe Exposure"

you must have got the KC "alternate" uniforms! yikes indeed. gotta get some character from somewhere, though.

the trips WR1 screen is still a work in progress, I'd say 95% there, and I agree that it's a bit weird right now.

the defensive pass-jumping is just part of the ROM's gameplay.

which plays graphics are confusing to you? let me know and I'll try to make them less confusing.

thanks for the review, MGK. I hope you'll find some other things you like about it as you play with it a bit more.

I'm sure I will.

the defensive pass-jumping is just part of the ROM's gameplay.

My opinion has only developed about it since. I'm in Week 5 of my season with the RAMS. The jumping is crrraaaazzzzzyyyy all over. I've given up several touchdowns when the defender (who's standing still) literally jumps AT the incoming thrown ball. The WR then takes it from his standing still position, and then gets a good 10-yard gap between him and the defender as the defender drops from his jumping animation. Garrr!

I'm 2-2 in my season. I'm using the keyboard for controls of my MAN season. I'm only using one hand to play.

MORE THOUGHTS:

[o] Dig the black player skin color change during the cut scenes.

[x] The FG Formations (Offense and Defense) are cool. But on Defense, doing a little diagonal up-slat on the 4th man down = penetration just about every time.

[x] There is a small block of off-color crowd in the stands.

[x] I know it's to help with the FG Formations, but that snap speed is craaazzzzy. Especially since it's never that fast anywhere else in the game.

[x] Cadillac Williams just ripped 2 straight 100-yard TD runs on me. Cadillac Williams!! :) But this leads to...

[x] I dig how the CPU is juiced up and all, but I'm a fan of consistency. I don't like how my team can't catch their runners, but their team can. This gets into the 'stacked deck' gaming philosophy. I always got angry at games like F-Zero that had 'catch-up' cheating CPU A.I.. Again, this is probably just personal preference.

WEEK 8 WRAP-UP:

Johnathan Stewart: 5 Carries for 257 yards...

The RAMS are currently 5 - 3 with my using one hand on a keyboard to control a MAN season.

278 Points For

227 Points Against

1st in Total Offense

28th in PASS

1st in RUSH

30th in Total Defense

5th against the PASS

Last against the RUSH

Bradford is 7th in PASSING with 71 attempts, 67%, 1046 YDS, 7TD, 3INT

Jackson is 1st in RUSHING with 97 attempts, 1284 YDS, 24TDs

Week 8 is the first week that an injury occurs on the RAMS. KR goes down.

MORE THOUGHTS:

[o] Dig the black player skin color change during the cut scenes.

[x] The FG Formations (Offense and Defense) are cool. But on Defense, doing a little diagonal up-slat on the 4th man down = penetration just about every time.

[x] There is a small block of off-color crowd in the stands.

[x] I know it's to help with the FG Formations, but that snap speed is craaazzzzy. Especially since it's never that fast anywhere else in the game.

[x] Cadillac Williams just ripped 2 straight 100-yard TD runs on me. Cadillac Williams!! :) But this leads to...

[x] I dig how the CPU is juiced up and all, but I'm a fan of consistency. I don't like how my team can't catch their runners, but their team can. This gets into the 'stacked deck' gaming philosophy. I always got angry at games like F-Zero that had 'catch-up' cheating CPU A.I.. Again, this is probably just personal preference.

RE: Snap Speed - it is the exact same for XP/FG and Shotguns. It has been sped up proportionately to the other speed-ups. I can't give you exact math at this time, but it's close and has been fine-tuned by hand.

RE: COM 'catch up'. [i still don't understand why people don't understand how this works and why I juice this shit up.]

1. COM is retarded.

1.a. They will not pick plays that make sense and the QB doesn't "see" wide open dudes.

1.b. The RB runs in a straight line once they break away (no zig-zagging like MAN can).

1.c. On Defense, COM is retarded, too.

2. If COM is 'not stacked' - you will go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl every time you play the game (unless you are retarded).

I have not made this mod where it will be easy to go 16-0 vs COM. In fact, I think you'd have to get plain lucky to go 16-0 and win it all.

There are plenty of other roms out there where you can run for 5000 yard seasons and go 16-0 with anyone. Not this one.

This ROM has been designed to give you a decent challenge vs COM and be an ABSOLUTE BLAST vs MAN. I highly recommend MAN v MAN.