buck's "HighSpeed" 2010 NFL TSB ROM - SUPER BOWL update 2/05

buck

Man the increased speed seems to make this rom harder than Time Machine 10 fold! I hope when you release Time Machine 2 that you keep the speed and gameplay like the original Time Machine! I nearly smashed my controller to little pieces playing this Rom!

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

Man the increased speed seems to make this rom harder than Time Machine 10 fold! I hope when you release Time Machine 2 that you keep the speed and gameplay like the original Time Machine! I nearly smashed my controller to little pieces playing this Rom!

ditto

EDIT: I miss your multiple versions with the different levels of difficulty. :D

Lovin' everything about this rom. Stellar job.

What with all the NFL injuries IRL like concussions, torn ligaments, and pulled hammies, I had a random thought: this is probably impossible, but can you make players more injury prone? In TSB, I assume (because I know jack about hex-editing) the odds of injury are flat for all players (even though my mvp always seems to go down in the playoffs). Think about Stafford or Schaub, Gore or Portis - players that have injury histories. Having just the option of shrinking the random number generator range for the glass cannons and older vets seems kinda cool. Maybe it'd be too much "realism," but the idea of me handing Grandpa Favre his inevitable "retirement" a dozen league games ahead of time makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

That reminds me, I always thought that the bye week should count as a "game" for the purposes of "healing." As in, when the next game rolls around, you're doubly (or however the math works out) likely to escape the hospital. As a matter of fact, I have no idea how status changes work. Sitting the "bad" dude never seems to change much. Always seemed to me like you had to have the guy active, but avoid plays/positions that get him tackled/popcorned. Or get them touchdowns. Or it was just random. Ah, the fallacy of human subjectivity! Anybody care to enlighten me how status changes work? Or "proper" use of quotation marks?

Lovin' everything about this rom. Stellar job.

What with all the NFL injuries IRL like concussions, torn ligaments, and pulled hammies, I had a random thought: this is probably impossible, but can you make players more injury prone? In TSB, I assume (because I know jack about hex-editing) the odds of injury are flat for all players (even though my mvp always seems to go down in the playoffs). Think about Stafford or Schaub, Gore or Portis - players that have injury histories. Having just the option of shrinking the random number generator range for the glass cannons and older vets seems kinda cool. Maybe it'd be too much "realism," but the idea of me handing Grandpa Favre his inevitable "retirement" a dozen league games ahead of time makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

That reminds me, I always thought that the bye week should count as a "game" for the purposes of "healing." As in, when the next game rolls around, you're doubly (or however the math works out) likely to escape the hospital. As a matter of fact, I have no idea how status changes work. Sitting the "bad" dude never seems to change much. Always seemed to me like you had to have the guy active, but avoid plays/positions that get him tackled/popcorned. Or get them touchdowns. Or it was just random. Ah, the fallacy of human subjectivity! Anybody care to enlighten me how status changes work? Or "proper" use of quotation marks?

I've been thinking the same thing about increasing injuries. So I believe I'll do it soon.

As far as I know, the injury probability is the same for all and I think there is a 3 game max - before a player comes back in a season (I don't think it counts byes).

Those are some good ideas you have, but I don't know how to pull them off.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in to let you know I'm pretty proud to be 8-2 right now in my Titans season. It is getting crazy, as the com offense is nuts for about the last two weeks. They complete EVERYTHING, no matter the coverage, and as hard as it is to stop the run, it's magnified now. It is a great challenge and a LOT OF FUN! At this arc I don't see how I can win a Super Bowl. How does the 'I' part of the com's ai work (practically) in this rom?

Thanks again.

Just checking in to let you know I'm pretty proud to be 8-2 right now in my Titans season. It is getting crazy, as the com offense is nuts for about the last two weeks. They complete EVERYTHING, no matter the coverage, and as hard as it is to stop the run, it's magnified now. It is a great challenge and a LOT OF FUN! At this arc I don't see how I can win a Super Bowl. How does the 'I' part of the com's ai work (practically) in this rom?

Thanks again.

Hi, Lou. I guess you could say that "I" means RB choices of cuts and QB targeting/pass release.

ps - UPDATE

see 1st post.

thought I should mention some of the recent changes:

RECENT UPDATES/FIXES:

fixed player 2 KR name glitch

fixed PR shank glitch (probably)

changed PR formation (mainly cosmetic)

changed COM AI FG/XP kick-decision (sped up by 2x)

changed 1B2 Formation RB2 stance to 3-point (so he looks like an RB)

roster/rating tweaks

-----------

I'm pumped! I am going to be in the AFC Championship, no resets or re-dos. This rom keeps me on the edge of my seat, and is very difficult. If I didn't have CJ I don't know if I would be doing this well. I just beat Buf in the 2nd round game and he had 322 to Fred Jackson's 294. I am winning on pure offense (and luck), as it is hard to stop ANYTHING the COM wants to do on O at this point. Almost every pass is completed regardless of single or double coverage, and the run game is nearly impossible to stop- good thing they can't stop me either! Waiting to play the latest version after this season ends. Wish me luck..I will need it.

I'm pumped! I am going to be in the AFC Championship, no resets or re-dos. Wish me luck..I will need it.

First, you need to hydrate. Second, don't play at 319am because you're not at your best that late. Third, I'm still taking the COM to win the SB but good luck. :)

Haha, i took your advice, cheerleader. Pissing clear, played the AFC championship before this Vikes-Pack game. The result! Felt like I was 11 years old again, so anxious going against the steel curtain. Let me just say, I was in the zone on offense. Conservative gameplan, CJ went for 194, and made some key (lucky?) stops on D. Score: Titans 41, Steelers 20. I'M GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL BABY! Buck your rom is the most fun I've had gaming in years. My PS1,2,and 3 do not rival this excitement. Man this has been a battle of a season when every game is a challenge...it's going to be devastating if I lose, but oh so awesome if I win!

Hey dude, great rom. Just won my first game tonight with the Titans, running with CJ. Still can't establish a good passing game yet, but I like a challenge. I've only started playing TSB for about a week or so.. well mainly your rom since I was looking for an updated version of the game. I like the slight speed up and beefed up AI and found the overall presentation much nicer than others.

There are quite a few errors with the Chargers roster and team numbers that I found too..

Ryan Mathews should be number 24, instead of 21

Craig Davis.. shouldn't that be Buster Davis instead of Craig?

Patrick Crayton should be number 12 instead of 81

Randy McMichael is number 81, not 88

Shawne Merriman isn't on the team anymore, it should be Antwan Applewhite instead (Applewhite's number - 90)

Darrell Stuckey got bumped down to third string too.. Paul Oliver should be in his place (Oliver's number - 27)

Thanks again man.

thanks bud, I'm glad you enjoy it. I'll make the changes you've suggested (buster's real name is craig, but buster will work fine too). Now that the CHI tourney is over, I can get back to tinkering with this.

Hey dude, great rom. Just won my first game tonight with the Titans, running with CJ. Still can't establish a good passing game yet, but I like a challenge. I've only started playing TSB for about a week or so.. well mainly your rom since I was looking for an updated version of the game. I like the slight speed up and beefed up AI and found the overall presentation much nicer than others.

There are quite a few errors with the Chargers roster and team numbers that I found too..

Ryan Mathews should be number 24, instead of 21

Craig Davis.. shouldn't that be Buster Davis instead of Craig?

Patrick Crayton should be number 12 instead of 81

Randy McMichael is number 81, not 88

Shawne Merriman isn't on the team anymore, it should be Antwan Applewhite instead (Applewhite's number - 90)

Darrell Stuckey got bumped down to third string too.. Paul Oliver should be in his place (Oliver's number - 27)

Thanks again man.

Got to the Superbowl with the Texans only to meet, of all teams, the Vikings. Peterson ran all over my defense and it became a shootout down to the last possession where I had Daniels open in the middle of the field but tried to force it to Johnson in the end zone and got picked. I was pissed, but in retrospect, this imitates the actual Texans performances pretty accurately. Anyways, through the season I was trying all the new plays, which was a blast. I like the goal line formations, the single fullback set (formerly the T), the empty backfield "run", and the shotgun "run" in the second slot. But something bothers me - the good old run and shoot is still the best formation.

In fact, now that R&S left and right are hand offs, they've somehow become even better. When it was a pitch, you could contain it pretty well with the outer linebackers or a corner since all you had to beat was the fullback or TE in space. But now that the runner gets the ball closer to center, the new pulling guard is in a much better position to run block and blow up whomever you pick. In the 2009 rom, it was hard but rewarding to get a first down with a run. Now I'm regularly busting off 60 yard touchdown runs with anybody that has a 50 MS and sometimes less if you zig-zag perfectly. I like the idea of making it a hand off, but unless there's something I'm missing, it seems impossible to defend when taking into account that R&S Z fly and Y up are still the best pass plays, too. Yeah, it's only the week 6 version. Yeah, it's free and buck does this in his spare time for fun. Yeah, I like to complain anyway.

Also, did you end up nixing the KR/PR MS hack and bring back RG/SS MS? Kick return yards are still easy, although TDs seem rarer than 2009. Punt return difficulty seems about right.

alternative version with defensive diving (like original)

I saw this in your first post and was wondering how it's going? It's probably going slow like all of the things on my to-do-list! I know in the past, you've released multiple versions so I was just curious. I'm interested in playing with your pre-season rom which I think I have saved somewhere but I think I have about 20 of your roms in my Buck file! Have you noticed, it seems like the majority of people on here seem to crave the most up to date versions like your Week6 version? And, have you created a team rankings for your rom? My group of guys always bugs me about that and the other night we were playing and I said, "It's called Week6 and you watch the NFL so figure it out!" Geez, it's not rocket surgery. :)

alternative version with defensive diving (like original)

I saw this in your first post and was wondering how it's going? It's probably going slow like all of the things on my to-do-list! I know in the past, you've released multiple versions so I was just curious. I'm interested in playing with your pre-season rom which I think I have saved somewhere but I think I have about 20 of your roms in my Buck file! Have you noticed, it seems like the majority of people on here seem to crave the most up to date versions like your Week6 version? And, have you created a team rankings for your rom? My group of guys always bugs me about that and the other night we were playing and I said, "It's called Week6 and you watch the NFL so figure it out!" Geez, it's not rocket surgery. :)

Dive hack: would take more time to attach it to the 1st post than to make it.

"Team Rankings" - actually, I need to tweak some Team Sim and Player Sim values to reflect the current season.

But something bothers me - the good old run and shoot is still the best formation.

In fact, now that R&S left and right are hand offs, they've somehow become even better. When it was a pitch, you could contain it pretty well with the outer linebackers or a corner since all you had to beat was the fullback or TE in space. But now that the runner gets the ball closer to center, the new pulling guard is in a much better position to run block and blow up whomever you pick. In the 2009 rom, it was hard but rewarding to get a first down with a run. Now I'm regularly busting off 60 yard touchdown runs with anybody that has a 50 MS and sometimes less if you zig-zag perfectly. I like the idea of making it a hand off, but unless there's something I'm missing, it seems impossible to defend when taking into account that R&S Z fly and Y up are still the best pass plays, too. Yeah, it's only the week 6 version. Yeah, it's free and buck does this in his spare time for fun. Yeah, I like to complain anyway.

Also, did you end up nixing the KR/PR MS hack and bring back RG/SS MS? Kick return yards are still easy, although TDs seem rarer than 2009. Punt return difficulty seems about right.

I hear you. I will look into the R&S - any suggestions besides going back to a pitch?

KR use RT MS and PR use their own MS.

The new R&S right isn't that bad actually. When R&S right was a pitch, you were practically out of bounds with any decent RB when you got the ball. You didn't really have the room to catch the corner. Plus, the run blocking was weaker. So this improvement is welcome.

R&S left is the one that's insanely good now. Getting to the secondary is really easy. When it was a pitch, the route the back ran gave the acceleration and the room to catch the corner, but you could set the edge if you picked the right guy on defense, or even make a tackle in the backfield. Maybe go back to the pitch for R&S left but leave the hand off for R&S right? I think that would create good tension. If I choose run defense, and try to contain the other run, I'm open to pass. If I choose pass defense and try to contain one run but leave myself open to another, I might give up a first down, but I won't get punished with a touchdown every time (unless it's Chris Johnson or an angry CPU, lol).

RECENT UPDATES/FIXES 10/28/10

-check it-

*altered ILB pass-coverage responses (make quicker decision) to either rush QB or sit in middle of field (normally they just stand there and then rush QB)

*new (even more enhanced) XP/FG blocking

*adjusted KR speeds (lowered due to unsmart request)

*adjusted 4WR UP run (due to unsmart request)

*tweaked rosters, ratings, and team sim ratings

3 major play changes here: drone ILB reactions, XP/FG blocking, 4WR up run

You're amazing. I'm scared to look at it because I am afraid to see my Cowboys roster "tweaked"! :)

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super iphone!] mobile.png

dude, I totally forgot to take the Romo out...also Dallas Clark is still in...next time.

RECENT UPDATES/FIXES 10/28/10

-check it-

*altered ILB pass-coverage responses (make quicker decision) to either rush QB or sit in middle of field (normally they just stand there and then rush QB)

*new (even more enhanced) XP/FG blocking

*adjusted KR speeds (lowered due to unsmart request)

*adjusted 4WR UP run (due to unsmart request)

*tweaked rosters, ratings, and team sim ratings

3 major play changes here: drone ILB reactions, XP/FG blocking, 4WR up run

Sweet, can't wait to test it out. What's with the Miami Vice avatar? :) Were you a big fan of the show or something? ... I loved the Michael Mann reboot starring Jamie Fox and Colin Farrell. Many critics thought it was lame, but I throughly enjoyed it as with his other classic "Heat."

One day, someone should start hosting tournaments with one of your hacked roms (like Time Machine 1) or 2K11. But I guess someone would have to make multiple frontloader carts for the NES to accommodate all the players who would be interested in entering a tournament, -- since I'm sure many people won't want to play with a digital delay on a High Def television screen. I wish there was a way to make that digital delay go away.

Hey, I have a question regarding the red nintendo retro cart you bought for $135 (the one you use to download all your 8-bit roms to play on your nes). Do you know if this cart will work for any of the NES retro top loader consoles? (Sorry if my post strayed from the subject matter). Great job so far on your high speed rom.