Tecmo Bowl Tool

TecmoTurd

You need the latest .net framework to run this, as it's written in WPF, which isn't supported by 2.0. You need this. Don't assume because you can run TSBToolSupreme that you can run TBTool. Download it here: TBToolBeta_03.zip

Via this thread on page 2, there appears to be a relatively newer release. If one works better than the other I'll leave that one here.  (TBTool.zip)

On 12/10/2019 at 3:01 AM, TheFes75 said:

I think I have everything in here now. The document I put together is now 20 pages long.  I have included Tecmo Turd's TB tool. I can't get it to work the way he intended, but I do use it to change the plays, play art and play bytes & Blitz bytes.  Just keep all of the files in one folder. Drag your ROM into the folder.  Open the TBtool.exe once you do that open the ROM into the TBtool and go to Set Playbooks.  Once in that screen just type the play you want for which team and hit set plays.  Very simple.  The only issue is once you close it out the play descriptions (Ind1, Den2 etc. don't stay, they just say N/A.  When you go into your ROM and play it though the plays are changed.

TBToolBeta_03.zip

TBTool.zip

Moving info down here so top post only contains download information...

I know there's not a lot of love for TB, but what can I say, I have a soft spot in my heart for Tecmo's red-headed step-children...

Inspired by BAD_AL's TSBToolSupreme, this editor shall strive to be the swiss army knife for Tecmo Bowl (the original, the one that started it all).

Right now it is in its very raw form, and the only thing it does is allow you to swap plays between teams in TSBTool text format fashion. This is something that has been attempted in the past, but it was implemented without some new knowledge that has come to light (thanks to xplosv) that should fix the issues people saw in the past with swapping plays. Mainly, that when you swap a play, you have to swap the defensive play instructions along with it, and not only that, but you have to do it for 3-4 AND 4-3 defenses, as one of each exists for each play. That is why the WR reverse team defenses don't react as they should when swapping in the new plays. This is no longer an issue with the TBTool.

It performs no error validation and can ruin your ROM if you do something wrong, so until I add that, please work with backups.

In the future, this can include anything we find about the game. My goals for the next few releases include "set patch" ability, editing team names or attributes, ability to set 3-4 or 4-3 defensive style for each team, and much more. Jstout told me he'd work on a 32 team version, so if that project does in fact get completed, this editor will support that.

I have to mention fellow playbook master xplosv. Without him finding out all this stuff, this wouldn't be possible. The guy is a meticulous machine, and has been a complete pleasure to work with. We shall be teaming up for more goodies in the future. I hope someone gets some use out of this..

awesome work all around guys. One of the canadians is completely HELLBENT on fixing LA/WSH/MIN so they can be added back into the annual World Championship of Tecmo play.

These findings will be put to use with few pockets of rabid tecmo players that are out there.

One minor question. The computer controlled coverage works diagonally...meaning call run 1 and you get a computer defender to offer up coverage on pass 2.....or call run 2, and you get computer controlled coverage on pass 1.

I assume that falls under giving the defense a reaction command? its not huge, but a few teams get affected by that system.

If you copy a play into another team's playbook, the defensive reactions come along with it.

If you happen to copy the play into the other team's playbook and put it in a different slot than it was in previous, then the defensive reactions will be the same, but it will be mapped to a different key combination...this is because the blitz bytes have to be in the correct spot for their playbook slot, and if you switch plays in a new spot, the blitz byte needs to be moved accordingly to make that happen.

So, in conclusion, if you're used to hitting up+a for a specific coverage, the worst that would happen is you'd need to press a different combo (down+a, or whatever it was moved to) to get that same coverage.

Also, for instance, if you move IND's run 1 to LA's run 1, the defense won't react like it did with LA's original run 1, they'll now reacte like they did with IND's run 1. And then, if you moved IND's run 1 to LA's run 2, my previous explanation about coverages would also apply.

Here's some ratings text from my notes...no idea where I got this...if anyone can help explain some of this, that'd be appreciated:

Bo Jackson 43 0B 50 8A 

Bit 1: 4 -> Acceleration time (Rushing Power) - The larger the number, the more time it takes for the player to get to max speed. Every offensive player in the game has a 3 for this value except Bo with 4 and Indy WR Bill Brooks with an 8. Bo is likely this way to nerf the fact that he has the highest max speed. For defensive players this varies from 7 to 9. Most players are 8 or 9 with several of your elite guys like a LT at 7. All kickers and punters have a value of A meaning they change direction slower than anyone else in the game. 

Bit 2: 3 -> Initial speed (Running Speed) - This is the speed you run at while you are accelerating to max speed. For offensive players this number varies from 0-4. For defensive players, it varies from 0-3 though only Ronnie Lott and LT have a 3 value. 

Bit 3 and 4: 0B -> Max speed - The speed at which players top out at after accelerating from their initial speed. Offensive players vary from 05 to 0B while defensive players vary from 0C to 12. You can really tell the difference in offensive players when this is changed but I had a hard time finding differences in defensive players. It be nice if someone could verify or disprove the defensive part. 

Bit 5 and 6: 50 -> Hitting Power - The higher the hitting power, the more likely you are to win grapples or "popcorn" the other player. Offensive players vary from 20-60 though 30-38 is the norm. Defensive players vary from 30-56. My guess is that there is a equation for popcorn, grapple, and tackles based on the variences between hitting powers. 

Bit 7: 8 -> Race - Tecmo has it's basic black or white player setting. 0 is used for white and 8 is used for black. Any value from 0-7 is white or any value from 8-F is black. 

Bit 8: A -> Special Ability - 

Quarter Backs: All QBs have the value 8 here except for John Elway, who has the value 3. I have no idea why this is or what it does. Any one notice anything different about Elway than the other QBs besides the fact he is fast. (His other stats make him faster) Does he run more than other QBs? If so this could be a scrambling number similar to the one TSB has. 

RBs, WRs, TE: This value controls the QB passing speed/pitching speed plus it possibly might control the receiving ability. The numbers vary from 8-E here while most players on the same team have the same values. 

Kickers and Punters - These probably control either the max distance the ball travels or the speed of the kick meter, but I honestly didn't care enough to figure it out. Kickers vary from 5 - A while Punters vary from 6 to E. 

Kick Returners and Defensive players - These players all have a value of 0 which means that they don't use this bit. Changing it also seems to have no affect.

Awesome work going on here. The program crashes when I go to save changes but it's probably a problem on my end.

Kickers and Punters - These probably control either the max distance the ball travels or the speed of the kick meter, but I honestly didn't care enough to figure it out.

It controls distance. The speed of the kick meter never changes.

While you gents are "unlocking the mysteries of Tecmo bowl"...can anyone figure out which player gets replaced by the kicker on kickoffs?

I've always assumed that the defense is represented on kickoffs, and would love to know which guy is the odd man out.

Yeah, I had a spark of interest a while back, and now teaming up with xplozv, we're trying to unlock as much as we can to make the game better and give it some editing support...

Hoping to find something that limits INTs based on DB/WR INT/REC or something...amont other things...

Awesome work going on here. The program crashes when I go to save changes but it's probably a problem on my end.

Tell me more. I havent had a crash yet...remember, no error handling yet, so it might be bad text...

2 things...1open a fresh rom in the editor and then apply it right away...does it crash? Still having crash issues, post a text file with the text you're using and I'll use it to debug...

New version, includes SET Patch ability...you can test it out with a new hack from xplosv:

SET(0x1BD85, 0x0AFF80001FFC0AFF80001FFC)

Here's what he says about it:

In nes tsb, DA = straight rush & DD = follow rush

In TB the equivalent is 0C = straight rush & 0A = follow rush

Here is where there are major difference comes in between TB & TSB:

In TSB, DA command has a player run in a straight line related to where the ball carrier's current location is. That is why sometimes when you juke a defender that is chasing you from behind, he overruns you before he adjusts to you. However, if he's fast enough, you at least have to do something to get a away from him.

In TB, 0C command is terrible at this. First of all, the defender will run in a straight line, but parallel with the Y coordinate that he currently located at, not where the ball carrier is. Secondly, the defender will run this line until he is exactly even with the ball carrier vertically. When that happens, the defender will come straight down to try and tackle you.  

For example, say that you have broken away on a run, or after a catch. You are at the bottom sideline while the defender in question is at the top sideline. He will be basically running stride for stride with while being no where near close to tackling you. By the time he catches up to start coming down, you are long gone.

So this set patch changes the defenses commands once a ball carrier cross the LOS to the 0C command. Now the 0C command in TB follows the ball carrier just as good if not better than DD in TSB. So there's going to be less yardage gained once you break away initially.

Something else controls passing speed other than the Xtra ability...Elway is 3 for that category, Marino is 8...so is jack trudeau, i switched trudy to be a 1 and he still had a lofty pass...

Edit, nevermind, just found it in my notes...the WR Xtra ability controls the throwing speed...interesting...

Something else controls passing speed other than the Xtra ability...Elway is 3 for that category, Marino is 8...so is jack trudeau, i switched trudy to be a 1 and he still had a lofty pass...

Edit, nevermind, just found it in my notes...the WR Xtra ability controls the throwing speed...interesting...

dude, check the spreadsheets (in the zip) I gave you a while back. that stuff is described.

Difficult to find games...anyone have any ideas on how to make 1P games more difficult? There has to be a juice value somewhere because the super bowl opponent was juiced when I put in the password to get to the super bowl...

Yes, the computer continually gets faster as you progress through a season so there must be a value for that in the rom somewhere.

• 9 years later...