Online v.s. Console?

What kind of TSB player are you?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of TSB player are you?

• Console
    • I never knew anything about online play, and would love to know more!

Just bumping around the repo board, because I hadn't been here in a while. Man you can browse this site for hours, and find so much enjoyment, but it got me thinking... How many Tecmo Repository board members are online players, and how many are players that have not, and will never play online. I get so use to just sticking to http://www.puretecmo.com and

although I played strictly online from February to June of this year I still have to say that I prefer to play console hands down. And now that I am officially retired from TPC :D and can't really find time to play in leagues(wifey,kids,etc.) I'll probably dust off the console and get back to whoopin on friends. I'll definitely keep up with current roms though and fire up nestopia once in awhile as well :D

obviously emulators (online) have their place - it's tough to get people physically together to play on a console at any given time.

but playing TSB on the original console is the ONLY way to get the true (tight) responsiveness and true intensity that TSB offers.

my advice if you want to play TSB hacks but want the tight gameplay of the console - get a NES PowerPak...night and day difference after playing on an emulator. (however, emulator's color/resolution are usually better than on the NES)

Console. "There can be only one" I only play online with a select few peeps i know, and we play that way only because we all USED to play on the console and it isn't currently feasible to play on the console. It's just so many things... the traditions, the memories, the blowing, the controllers, the side to side by side by side gameplay. Consoles bring people together. Consoles have no lag. Online took the "sole" out of the game. And although your opponent could always sneak a peek at your controller to cheat, you have no freakin clue what some unknown user across an unknown distance can do to cheat on THEIR machine.

obviously emulators (online) have their place - it's tough to get people physically together to play on a console at any given time.

but playing TSB on the original console is the ONLY way to get the true (tight) responsiveness and true intensity that TSB offers.

my advice if you want to play TSB hacks but want the tight gameplay of the console - get a NES PowerPak...night and day difference after playing on an emulator. (however, emulator's color/resolution are usually better than on the NES)

I've been almost strictly a console player for forever, but since I completed my 2009 rom I have been having a lot of fun playing that by myself on Nestopia. I use a NES Repro controller, and to be honest I notice very little difference between playing on Nestopia and playing my console. Online would probably feel different, but I prefer playing by myself. With a rom that feels very close to the original to me, I feel like I have a whole new game.

Console or on an emulator vs a friend.

1.) Dislike online play in general (impersonal, not very fun)

2.) Can't take an extended halftime break to get munchies (or smoke one) online

3.) Time zone difference

4.) Language barrier/trash talking with a mic

5.) Lag

6.) I am not competitive enough to play online

7.) Could not commit to a league (would end up dropping out mid season no doubt)

8.) As per the Puretecmo page I have little desire to play against "the best in the world".

* Flooding over but dealing with a mess in my place, needed to post something to take a break from reality *

• 3 weeks later...

I played online in the month leading up to the Madison tournament, but it was tough with the lag and having to use my keyboard to move around. My maneuverability was terrible!

I did learn some good things, though, playing online and reading the boards here. It is great that the online Tecmo is available, but playing live is where it's at!

Can't wait for the next tournament... as far as I know the next scheduled one is in Cleveland in February... are there any taking place before that?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm amazed with the amount of guys who only play console (or at least play it the majority of the time). I've never owned a NES and my first exposure to Tecmo Super Bowl was when my brother and I borrowed someone else's NES console. I liked the game so much, and I heard they were coming out with a SNES version. I played that version mostly growing up. So for SNES, I guess I am a console guy, but I really never had much exposure/experience with the NES version on the console. Nothing beats a bunch of guys getting together and breaking out some TSB, but I'd probably want to do that more with the SNES versions if the feeling arose.

I've never played online, but do have an original ROM version I can play on Nestopia. I prefer the console just because nothing beats getting a bunch of old friends together and hammering each other on the games we grew up with. We had a little tournament at my place a couple months ago and every one had a blast. There will be another in the future! :)

• 1 year later...

I wish "Both" was a choice.  I play a lot more online than I do console, but console is way more fun to me.  No lag, cheating, online tough guys, and I can actually kickoff decent and make FGs.  

The live tourneys are the best part of Tecmo IMO.  It can be nerve racking in the elimination games.  On those 3rd & 4th downs, "everybody's butt-hole puckers up", as Rasheed Wallace would say.  I encourage everybody to try a live tourney at least once, no matter your skill level.  .

So true Moulds!  Nothing compares to the amount of tension you have near the end of those games, and on key 3rd and 4th downs at the live tourneys!  Let the adrenaline flow!  Kamp, you've gotta be sure to get out to Madison next yr homie!  

My stomach hurts already just thinking about Saturday.  I might have to make myself puke before it starts.  Pretty sure I will afterwards depending on how early I get knocked out and how cheap the well rum/cokes are. 

I play WAAY more online, but would play waaay MORE console if the opportunity presented itself.

This. Unfortunately I'm too far from Madison. Would love to see how far I could get, as it's certainly different than online as it's an even playing field (no lag, no possibility of turbo, etc.).

So I have a TPC account, downloaded brutopia, and I'm already to go...but I haven't played online yet. I'm mostly waiting to get my USB controller adapter because I suck with the keyboard controls. I'm anxious to see what the online experience is like.

I must admit that I'm already a bit turned off from it just by hearing about "lag" problems that people have. Plus the whole process of state saving and uploading your game data and other "computer" details can be a bit overwhelming at first. Kweh's walkthrough was extremely helpful, but I still don't know if I'll be able to configure my controller once I get it. Anybody walk me through how?

Never played online before and never will. I am sure it is fun, but console play is just awesome and I am lucky enough to be able to play someone who is very competitive a few nights a week. I would think playing to much online could hurt your console play.