Tecmo Throwback released on Xbox Apr 28th, PSN TBD

Knobbe

If I were a betting man I would say our voices as fans of this series will be heard and Tecmo Bowl 2011 will be a reality!

I'm not trying to be a hater but... with today's economy, Madden being a juggernaut, no NFL license, and companys never listening to their fan base, I wouldn't hold your breath for TBT 2011!

And, I will buy it on both systems.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were a betting man I would say our voices as fans of this series will be heard and Tecmo Bowl 2011 will be a reality!

I'm not trying to be a hater but... with today's economy, Madden being a juggernaut, no NFL license, and companys never listening to their fan base, I wouldn't hold your breath for TBT 2011!

And, I will buy it on both systems.

Bottom line.

Tecmo Throwback Development cost = X

Number of copies purchased = y

If 10y - X > 0 then another Tecmo gets made. It's a simple as that.

What I really meant is what I said; don't put your assumptions in my mouth. If you'd like me to clarify a point, than just ask.

I am willing to bet a Benjamin on this game, as a product, receiving less-than positive user reviews based on everything except the nostalgia factor of playing old TSB on a new system. We'll have to wait and see. And anyone who has played this game previously when it was relevant, and is willing to shell out $$$ on this new version because they still have interest in TSB, is a 'hardcore fan.' Don't kid your self like there is some great unfounded audience waiting to discover Tecmo... without an NFL license. This game was made, specifically, for the 'hardcore fan.' Because it's only going to be the hardcore fan that gives a sh!t without an NFL license.

Sure, compared to the "Super Techmo Bowl? One time I ran for over 1,000 yards in one game with Bo Jackson" guy, I guess I could be called a hardcore fan. I love the game. If they never changed a thing about how it played and it was easily accessible, I would play it regularly and always have fun.

But you're one of the guys who has put a significant amount of his own time digging into the ROMs, learning how it all works, and then tweaking it to his satisfaction and to others on the board, are you not? The things you guys have figured out are truly impressive. I don't pretend to be on the same level as you guys.

I am saying, though, that because you have done all that, you're not going to be satisfied by anything Tecmo does short of adding in stuff that you guys have yet to accomplish, and there's no way they're ever going to do that unless they know they have a sizeable user base that is going to come back for more.

I'm probably wrong about the NFL license, but I think that Tecmo football can stand on its own. Maybe it's because I remember the days when no one had a license. There were a few non-licensed baseball titles for the NES (Baseball Stars, Bases Loaded, Baseball Simulator 1000) whose fake players took on a personality of their own through their performance on the field, and it was fun. Maybe it takes the imagination of a kid to appreciate that. Maybe pro-licensed games becoming the undisputed norm for so many years has ruined all that.

Sure, only hardcore TSB fans are going to be looking for this game, but I think there's a chance that people will buy it who are not looking for it. Look at the other stuff out there on XBL and PSN--they're chock full of niche and nostalgia titles that people will take risks on because they're so cheap for everyone involved. Many are played for a short time and then forgotten, but every once in awhile, you get one that blows your socks off--I've mentioned it before, but Bionic Commando: Rearmed was this type of title.

To me, there are two alternatives out there--what Tecmo has done with Throwback, or nothing. I've tried the emulators--it's just not convenient enough for me (all apologies to you guys working on the ROMs). Do I think Tecmo Bowl is going to become a big time franchise again because of Throwback? I'd love to see it, but I agree with you, I don't think so. But for ten bucks, Throwback is more convenient than digging out the old NES/SNES hardware to play TSB for a few years.

I went back to my apartment today for lunch to get a quick Tecmo fix. I got in two games, and both people quit before half time. The first guy I played claimed that I was cheating because "I kept sacking him without picking his play". He was playing as the Niners, and he was picking a pass play on every down. So, I just kept rushing the edge with an OLB, and he wouldn't keep an eye on the rush, and I just kept sacking him. He told me that he reported me for cheating. :roll:

Anyways, it's cool that others intersted in a league. Even a tournament would be pretty cool. I think an honor system could work. He each opponent verify the results of every game. Stats are always nice for bragging rights, but may be a hassle to keep track of. I'll think of some ideas.

Here's a question I haven't seen discussed yet...do you all play the retro style, or 3D? I am one of the biggest SNES fans there is, but for this new game, I've been playing strictly the 3D style. I really think they did it well, and with an NFL license and the ability to change playbooks online, it's a really refreshing addition to the game.

I thought 3D style was a little wierd at first. But I really like it. Updated the graphics, but still really kept the classic feel. Really hope we get to see another version with better updates, but Throwback is going to keep me occupied for a while just with the online matchmaking. All I care about right now in life is having a high TrueSkill rating :roll:

Well said, Pricetag, all of it.

My one caveat to your overall point about expectation is, perhaps, your not understanding what is possible with the game engine. Something that I do have an idea about, in a way, of what is easily rectifiable. The fact that there are other people who can do this stuff even easier than I can (Jstout, cxrom, Xplozv, etc.) is just further indication that the game is not difficult to optimize the 1991 bugs out of. Let me assure you, anyone who's programming an official TSB follow-up should have a simple understanding of how to make the changes that anyone who has played TSB for any decent amount of time would have long made by now.

Something that further emphasizes the point to me that the people who made this game were not TSB fans originally.

Yes, I agree that your 'typical hardcore' fan, in that someone who plays it, but doesn't edit it, is going to be thrilled that they didn't f*ck with the game engine. That they have a contemporary version of their beloved franchise. But I think that's more a statement of the fanbase's desperation for contemporary relevancy than a fair exchange by Tecmo in releasing something that's been bemoaned for by the TSB audience as needing updating for over a decade now.

Couldn't have said it better MKG. People who edit/hack care about the game as well as the sport...these guys are like artists who touched up an old mansion....sure the foundation is good, and the architecture is classic, but if the doors hinges creak, then fix the damn door hinge with a modern one.

I also cant help weigh the cost of Throwback vs a SNES rom from nintendo on the wii. Thing is with the wii no MP support or graphics upgrade. My point is I don't think I have ever seen anyone as upset with a SNES rom purchase on wii as people are with the cost of this. I honestly think some money is being made no doubt but I also cant help and think some of it may be going towards possible future dev. of a new game in the franchise. Why is it some people are pissed off that Tecmo is trying to make money ?! Someone called it a get rich scheme , ??? its 10 bucks!? WTF. You have to admit throwback is better than the ps1 version of tecmo and better than the ds version from a couple years ago. And one more thing ....if they don't come out with a tecmo 2011 someone on this forum could be editing this version of the game at some point. If anything it could be material for future rom releases.

LOL! I did say get rich quick! I did not mean that literally... Duh! But if it sells 100,000 units it equals 1,000,000 suckers! And I'd take that in a heartbeat! I was making the point that it just seems that Tecmo was trying to make a quick buck on an old title. Think dumb and dumber'er... If Tecmo was really trying to get back into the football business they might have done a little more research and development. Who tested the game and didn't know its glitches? Tecmo is just doing business. PERIOD! I hope I'm wrong, but this seems like just a fad in the gaming community. And people have a right to either side. Play and pay if you want, but some of us don't want to pay the cost, even if it only a lunch ticket. I haven't read any post that cry out for peoples heads to roll. These are just some peoples responses to what they believe. And the complaints I've read seem to be legitimate and not hardcore gamers knit picking! No one has said the graphics ruin it, or things of that nature. So buy it if you want, but I've made my decision and I'll sit this one out. :roll: Honkey Vanish!!!

Bottom line.

An entire team/company of workers, logging in let's say 1/2 a year's times (gross under-estimate), annual salaries, benefits, overtime, etc, etc, etc is a little more complicated than "X". And, at $10.00 a download, good luck breaking even let alone getting "10y". Again, I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. Matt, don't you work in the industry?! You know what I'm talking about. It also seems that making money isn't enough anymore as you've got to make a franchise like Halo, or Madden, or COD or the company folds. Actually, EA buys them when that happens but let's not go there. :roll: I think what I'm trying to say, not very well obviously, is let's just enjoy this ultra rare occurrence of a Tecmo Football game release that happens a little more often than Haley's Comet and let's not start pine'ing over the next release. Smell the roses people!

Bottom line.

An entire team/company of workers, logging in let's say 1/2 a year's times (gross under-estimate), annual salaries, benefits, overtime, etc, etc, etc is a little more complicated than "X". And, at $10.00 a download, good luck breaking even let alone getting "10y". Again, I'm not a pessimist, just a realist. Matt, don't you work in the industry?! You know what I'm talking about. It also seems that making money isn't enough anymore as you've got to make a franchise like Halo, or Madden, or COD or the company folds. Actually, EA buys them when that happens but let's not go there. :roll: I think what I'm trying to say, not very well obviously, is let's just enjoy this ultra rare occurrence of a Tecmo Football game release that happens a little more often than Haley's Comet and let's not start pine'ing over the next release. Smell the roses people!

Thats what I am trying to say I don't really see alot of room to make money on this title either

Mine is biggcane55 on PSN. Didn't buy micro wave box. Got my backwards capatabilty, and my LPB, my infamous, modnation in 3 weeks, and oh yeah MAG. 256 no lag. Suck on that RRofD. Oh yeah free too. JK. Just tryna change the argument.

Well said, Pricetag, all of it.

My one caveat to your overall point about expectation is, perhaps, your not understanding what is possible with the game engine. Something that I do have an idea about, in a way, of what is easily rectifiable. The fact that there are other people who can do this stuff even easier than I can (Jstout, cxrom, Xplozv, etc.) is just further indication that the game is not difficult to optimize the 1991 bugs out of. Let me assure you, anyone who's programming an official TSB follow-up should have a simple understanding of how to make the changes that anyone who has played TSB for any decent amount of time would have long made by now.

Something that further emphasizes the point to me that the people who made this game were not TSB fans originally.

Yes, I agree that your 'typical hardcore' fan, in that someone who plays it, but doesn't edit it, is going to be thrilled that they didn't f*ck with the game engine. That they have a contemporary version of their beloved franchise. But I think that's more a statement of the fanbase's desperation for contemporary relevancy than a fair exchange by Tecmo in releasing something that's been bemoaned for by the TSB audience as needing updating for over a decade now.

Well said Maynard_G_Krebs. There are things you say I don't always agree on but here you made a clear and non bias statement. You need to send Tecmo your freaking resume already! You can make this game series be all it can be. I vote for Maynard_G_Krebs as game consultant for future Tecmo Bowl games!

Seriously? How much money do ya'll think Tecmo put into this game? 1.... 2.... 3.... Million???!!! They didn't even change the game engine! There was no real development, they prolly used a graphics program the compnay already had. No company would make a game to break even. I think its awesome if you like this game, but those of us who wanted something different from Tecmo have a right to our opinions. I do not want to run the next Tecmo project, but as a FAN, I have a right to be FANatical about my beloved TSB! I just want the best, that's why I come to this site... to play the best versions of TSB! I would pay 10 buck easily for many versions on this site. Especially if we could put HD graphics so it looks clean on my 52" TV. I wish ya'll luck and have fun with the game. Post! Play! Participate! Honkey Vanish!!

We need a gamertag thread. Rod said he had some idea, but I heard nothing regarding that.

Rod, maybe instead of a gamertag thread or sticky post at the top of the Throwback section, we could have another section added to our profile for our XBL Gamertag? It has ICQ, AOL, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber, Website, so why not add XBL, PS3, and even Wii there too? I was a regular at Utopia/NCAA Strategies for a long time and they do it that way. It's nice and simple for us but don't know if that would be possible on your end.

I'm probably wrong about the NFL license, but I think that Tecmo football can stand on its own. Maybe it's because I remember the days when no one had a license. There were a few non-licensed baseball titles for the NES (Baseball Stars, Bases Loaded, Baseball Simulator 1000) whose fake players took on a personality of their own through their performance on the field, and it was fun. Maybe it takes the imagination of a kid to appreciate that. Maybe pro-licensed games becoming the undisputed norm for so many years has ruined all that.

I struggle with the missing NFL players but you've made me change my views. I think WE should learn to love the fake players. Granted, we know who they really are which may make this difficult if not impossible for some.

Rod, maybe instead of a gamertag thread or sticky post at the top of the Throwback section, we could have another section added to our profile for our XBL Gamertag?

This is a great idea! I'll even raise you one, and say there should be an added forum title option, that would list under our forum 'avatar' (hate that f*cking word) and 'titles,' with peeps various gaming names/tags/numbers and such. You know, that whole Live thing, and the PS3 world that the kids play on these days. :roll:

I struggle with the missing NFL players but you've made me change my views. I think WE should learn to love the fake players. Granted, we know who they really are which may make this difficult if not impossible for some.

I think the reason we were good with having fake team colors and such back in the RBI days, because there was no such thing as league licenses, for the most part. I think the general gamer has grown so used to being able to 'play as' their favorite [insert league] player here, that now not having that quality is an issue for them.