Tecmo Throwback released on Xbox Apr 28th, PSN TBD

Knobbe

So technically, the ROMs on this site are better because it offers the full 32 teams. Wish some of the hackers had a say in making this.....think they missed out on alot of oppurtunities. Think about it, no license could have given them free roam on an RPG type game. Create a team, maybe submit it to the server, and have it approved(to keep people from using real names etc.) and then turn people loose in online leagues(trades drafts everything). Kind of a mix of Fantasy football management with the old tecmo play. Since the game is simple technologically, even DLC(Filed types, new player models/sprites, challenges. Why they tied themselves to a semi NFL game is a mystery. If the NFL didn't want anything to do with it, then just mak a "VIDEO GAME" football. That's what made Tecmo Football special to me, was htat it was a video game first, then a football simulator. I'll be checking out Back Breaker for that reason. Rumor is it will have online leagues, create your own teams.....more video game variety.

These are great ideas. You asked above if the price of Throwback was worth it--if you ever want to see anything like this come to pass, you have to plunk down your ten bucks to prove to Tecmo that they have a market. They'll never take the risk of implementing any truly cool stuff until they have a reasonable expectation that they'll make a return on their investment. They didn't get it from Tecmo Bowl: Kickoff. This game is another feeler.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some quick comments and whatnot.

Yeah, cheezing will happen. It's an element of online play that you'll have to deal with when playing with random people who just want to win or whatever. But hey, if they do something cheap, don't hold back at all. :lol:

There aren't 32 teams. You have the original 28, plus the Pro Bowl teams, just like the original. If there are more, they are either hidden teams that have to be unlocked some way, or they simply aren't there (My bet is the latter).

Don't know if you can change the playbooks during an online game, as I haven't played one yet. I know you can during a single player game, just like the original SNES game.

No idea how to explain people backing out of online games/them not counting. Perhaps it is different from the single player thing, which, when you go to quit a competition season game, gives you the notice about the game considered a 6-0 loss. Like I said, I haven't tried an online game yet, so I don't know what goes on in there yet.

And yes, expect a patch at some point, but don't expect that to change the gameplay or anything like that. A patch may come out to adjust things like leaderboards and rankings, perhaps affect people who quit online games, but they won't change the gameplay. I've never really seen that done in any game.

Does this thing just rank you on how you beat the comptuer vs. how you beat humans?

I know they do the former, that seems to be the point of the competition season mode. I'd imagine your results vs humans are also tracked, every game ever does that, but I haven't checked the leaderboards thing because... well, I don't give a crap about rankings. :lol:

So what was the price? I jeard 10 bucks(800Live Points) I have a PS3, but want to know if its worth it.

800 Microsoft points, which, in real money, would be around $10 dollars. That is a typical price for an Xbox Live Arcade game, which are usually 800 or 1,200 points, so I'd expect that on the PlayStation, it'd be in the whatever the normal price range is for downloaded games such as this.

If it's worth it is obviously a matter of opinion, however, and I already made mine known, for whatever it is worth. :roll:

Why they tied themselves to a semi NFL game is a mystery. If the NFL didn't want anything to do with it, then just mak a "VIDEO GAME" football.

Because the NFL name sells more than "VIDEO GAME" football, as you put it. And it's probably not so much that the NFL didn't want anything to do with it, but more along the lines of them (Or perhaps EA, since they have the exclusive rights to the NFL and all that; I have no idea how it all works, really) wanting more money than Tecmo could pony up on a risk like this game.

Create a team, maybe submit it to the server, and have it approved(to keep people from using real names etc.) and then turn people loose in online leagues(trades drafts everything).

Well, I'd imagine that if this game does well, a sequel would add things like online leagues, which are becoming more common in sports games now. Trades and stuff I could see, if they ever did a game based on TSB3 (Please, let them put that out!), but created teams are often a mixed thing. I didn't play kickoff, but everyone seemed to say that created teams hurt that. It also depends on if you were using the exsisting players, or creating new ones (The latter was a major problem for APF 2K8 that really ruined its online play).

But like Pricetag said, and it bears mentioning again (And again and again and again), if you ever want to see anything cool like that in a future game, or simply see another new Tecmo game, period, this one has to sell well. There aren't many changes to this one, which made it cheap and easy for them to develop and put on Live to test the waters. If this thing bombs, we'll likely never see another game with legit improvements and major changes that everyone wants (Case in point: APF 2K8). But, if it sells well, who knows what may be added into a further developed sequel...

Sorry but some of these complaints are alittle silly. I know its frustrating that we want everything and more from the game but at $10 what can we expect. Support the game please! 10 bucks is nothing more than a lunch in your work day. With enough support I am sure we will get another game with the option we all want or at least some of those options. As for changing the plays during online games I can see why that was being left out at this point. How many times would you run into someone not as familiar with TSB as we are and not know what they are looking for or at with the plays. I can see that being a major pain in the ass waiting on someone to switch there plays mid game and doing it multiple times. As for when me and my friends when we play we have a policy no play changing in game it only slows things down. This game was announced and released in no time so we cant' expect everything. The interviews we have heard all lead to them wanting to make a more involved game like we all want but we have to start somewhere and this is it. Buck up and spend 10 bucks! Think of it as a demo for the real game.

Sorry but some of these complaints are alittle silly. I know its frustrating that we want everything and more from the game but at $10 what can we expect. Support the game please! 10 bucks is nothing more than a lunch in your work day. With enough support I am sure we will get another game with the option we all want or at least some of those options. As for changing the plays during online games I can see why that was being left out at this point. How many times would you run into someone not as familiar with TSB as we are and not know what they are looking for or at with the plays. I can see that being a major pain in the ass waiting on someone to switch there plays mid game and doing it multiple times. As for when me and my friends when we play we have a policy no play changing in game it only slows things down. This game was announced and released in no time so we cant' expect everything. The interviews we have heard all lead to them wanting to make a more involved game like we all want but we have to start somewhere and this is it. Buck up and spend 10 bucks! Think of it as a demo for the real game.

10 bucks sounds good. Now all that has to happen is to convince me to buy a $300 machine to play it on.

The PSN version is supposed to be released April 29th.

Looks like the biggest concern is actually the inability to change plays during network play.

What site says it will be released on PSN on April 29th? All I'm finding is TBD as the release date.

I couldn't have put it better then Epa1patine. We need to speak with our wallets for the love we have for this game and how we want future iterations in this series to be made! If Tecmo makes a profit from this game you better believe they'll listen to our wants and needs and do there best to put it into the next version. I don't know how much more I can stress this fact but we have the power to either force Tecmo to consider making another version or the power to force Tecmo to make this is the final version we'll ever see based on how well it sells. First there was a Kickoff, then there was a Throwback, but you guys haven't seen nothing until the culmination of all the hard work ending in Tecmo Bowl 2011. If I were a betting man I would say our voices as fans of this series will be heard and Tecmo Bowl 2011 will be a reality!

10 bucks sounds good. Now all that has to happen is to convince me to buy a $300 machine to play it on.

Well a 360 can be had for under 200 if you shop around on ebay and may other places. Try looking at the 360 or ps3 as I do, aside from a gaming console they are great media centers. The ps3 costing more but it has blu-ray and both devices are great for streaming movies via netflix. It won't be long til they both will be offering full blown live tv via an internet connection, as a matter of fact just the other day PSN added the ability to purchase the MLB.tv baseball package (99.99) much like you get with DTV. You can watch any game live all season and I think its also in HD. Who knows maybe NFL is next? I own both consoles including a wii and I guess you could call me stupid but I mainly use them for everything else other than games. But aside from that I was mainly asking people to support the game who can actually purchase it. No where did I say Throwback alone was worth a $200-$300 buy of a console, or I should say $210-$310. Simply put without us current console owners dropping 10 bucks on this game we may never see a Tecmo Bowl 2011 version worthy of making someone like yourself buy a new 360 or ps3 just to play that game.

I've been getting banned all day from review boards / comment boards on reviews of the game, because i write a brief response to the content, then post links to knobbe.org and the like. it's a fun game i enjoy playing when i feel like now would be a good time to entice new audience members.

The PSN version is supposed to be released April 29th.

Looks like the biggest concern is actually the inability to change plays during network play.

What site says it will be released on PSN on April 29th? All I'm finding is TBD as the release date.

Bad tip and poor followup. Back to TBD

Quoting for truth.

Anyway...

Can you change your playbook before the online match?

Nope. All you can do is select the team, and if you were the one who started the game, the weather.

I know its frustrating that we want everything and more from the game but at $10 what can we expect. Support the game please! 10 bucks is nothing more than a lunch in your work day. With enough support I am sure we will get another game with the option we all want or at least some of those options... Buck up and spend 10 bucks! Think of it as a demo for the real game.

I love how video game companies have become grass roots non-profits. :roll: Seriously, I expected to read a quote from Sally Struthers afterwards. Tecmo is trying to see if there's enough support for the game, you say? Then this is a pretty potentially expensive/lucrative 'Forum Poll' of a product. Here's an idea, if they want to see if there's interest, why not have an ad campaign where you just try to generate support in what the consumer actually wants, by asking them, before wasting money doing what they think it wants based off no one's opinion but their own.

The business model of 'pay me now, reward me later' can go f*ck itself. I love Tecmo, guys, but this shit ain't rocket science.

Nose Tackle dive? Please.

I know its frustrating that we want everything and more from the game but at $10 what can we expect. Support the game please! 10 bucks is nothing more than a lunch in your work day. With enough support I am sure we will get another game with the option we all want or at least some of those options... Buck up and spend 10 bucks! Think of it as a demo for the real game.

I love how video game companies have become grass roots non-profits. :roll: Seriously, I expected to read a quote from Sally Struthers afterwards. Tecmo is trying to see if there's enough support for the game, you say? Then this is a pretty potentially expensive/lucrative 'Forum Poll' of a product. Here's an idea, if they want to see if there's interest, why not have an ad campaign where you just try to generate support in what the consumer actually wants, by asking them before wasting money doing what they think it wants based off no one's opinion but their own.

The business model of 'pay me now, reward me later' can go f*ck itself. I love Tecmo, guys, but this shit ain't rocket science.

Nose Tackle dive? Please.

When you say "what the consumer wants," you really mean what I want. There is a huge difference between the two, I think. We could all buy 100 copies of this game, and it would not make it worth Tecmo's while to implement the type of changes the hardcore guys want to see.

As far as an ad campaign to measure interest in the game, how would it work? People are full of shit in on the Internet. The amount of time it would take to develop trust would not be cost effective for a franchise like TSB that is no longer an established market player.

They don't know if anyone wants to play TSB. Even at that, they gave it a graphics overhaul and online play. To expect anything else would be ludicrous.

When you say "what the consumer wants," you really mean what I want.

What I really meant is what I said; don't put your assumptions in my mouth. If you'd like me to clarify a point, than just ask.

I am willing to bet a Benjamin on this game, as a product, receiving less-than positive user reviews based on everything except the nostalgia factor of playing old TSB on a new system. We'll have to wait and see. And anyone who has played this game previously when it was relevant, and is willing to shell out $$$ on this new version because they still have interest in TSB, is a 'hardcore fan.' Don't kid your self like there is some great unfounded audience waiting to discover Tecmo... without an NFL license. This game was made, specifically, for the 'hardcore fan.' Because it's only going to be the hardcore fan that gives a sh!t without an NFL license.

As far as an ad campaign to measure interest in the game, how would it work? People are full of shit in on the Internet.

I'm glad you just took that idea off the table with another one of your assumptions. :roll: Clean, right off the table, because of a sweeping generalization. Well done.

The amount of time it would take to develop trust would not be cost effective for a franchise like TSB that is no longer an established market player.

Developing trust is not the point. (You kind of talk about TSB like it's your Pet. :lol: ) Jesus, Windows 7 even spent money making an ad campaign about the fact that it made an ad campaign to figure out what the consumer wanted. If Tecmo, the company, has a following, its Web site as a base for consumer opinion could easily be used long before development even begins to generate interests from the audience. If you don't think so, than that is certainly your opinion, but I would be willing to guarantee you that your opinion is without data to suggest that it's accurate.

:thumbsup:

I agree with MGK, if you're willing to pay 10 bucks in hopes Tecmo will listen to you and what you want then go ahead. I will not waste my time or money on what is prolly a get rich quick scam. Think about it, how much research do ya'll believe Tecmo did if they didn't even add a automatic win if someone quits? Madden has had and already addressed this issue. I found this site on one try last year when I googled Tecmo Super Bowl!! Research isn't on the schedule. I believe they are just trying to make a quick buck by rehashing a familiar name. I mean they said they used the original game, so that should tell you they weren't looking to put a lot of effort into this game. They didn't even improve the gameplay, only graphics. This site was able to make a 32 team rom! This site has done more for TSB than this or any future release will prolly ever do.

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

[ Post made on a Tecmo Super Mobile Device!] mobile.png

Hey Fellas,

I've been visiting this site for years, thanklessly leeching off your excellents rom hacks (BTW, thanks guys, you're awesome), but I finally decided to create an account with the release of Throwback.

I've been having a blast. I am getting a little frustrated, because people keep quiting and claiming that the computer is screwing them over evertime they fumble the ball or get sacked in their end zone, but you actually still get credit for the win under the TrueSkill system, or whatever the hell it's called.

My only main gripe about the game is that it seems they have completely castrated Randall Cunningham. He is still a good scrambler in Throwback and is good for an occasional 7 yard scamper, but he is no where near the weapon he was in the original. And I'm a Philly fan :lol: I've been having to use Kansas City when someone plays as one of the powerhouses, which is just about every game :roll:

Anyways, it's a little glitchy, but I've been having too much fun to really be bothered by it. If you want a match, I'm BuckTurgidson 0. I promise I won't quit the match no matter how ferociously you're beating me :lol: I love playing Tecmo and I love the competition.

Also, any chance we could throw a league together somehow? I don't think there is a specific option for it in the Multiplayer lobby, but I'm sure we could think of something.

Also, any chance we could throw a league together somehow? I don't think there is a specific option for it in the Multiplayer lobby, but I'm sure we could think of something.

Welcome, dude! And excellent point about making a league. Let's hope those PureTecmo / Tecmo World guys get on that.

Welcome, dude! And excellent point about making a league. Let's hope those PureTecmo / Tecmo World guys get on that.

To heck with those guys.....we might just do it up right here!

To heck with those guys.....we might just do it up right here!

I'm in if you do!

Good to meet ya man, I'll add you to my list. I only play non-quitters, so goodonya for that. As for a league, I'll be happy to do it, I just don't know how you'd make it happen...it'd have to be on your honor or something...and there's be no real good stats unless you took a picture of the screen and recorded them by hand.

Here's a question I haven't seen discussed yet...do you all play the retro style, or 3D? I am one of the biggest SNES fans there is, but for this new game, I've been playing strictly the 3D style. I really think they did it well, and with an NFL license and the ability to change playbooks online, it's a really refreshing addition to the game.

Good to meet ya man, I'll add you to my list. I only play non-quitters, so goodonya for that. As for a league, I'll be happy to do it, I just don't know how you'd make it happen...it'd have to be on your honor or something...and there's be no real good stats unless you took a picture of the screen and recorded them by hand.

Here's a question I haven't seen discussed yet...do you all play the retro style, or 3D? I am one of the biggest SNES fans there is, but for this new game, I've been playing strictly the 3D style. I really think they did it well, and with an NFL license and the ability to change playbooks online, it's a really refreshing addition to the game.

Unless there is some expansion, I think you'd have to do it by Win/Loss