Who is the Best team in tsb3

tecmo2D=Madden3D

Defense wins championships. A guy who hadn't played before absolutely ate us in our season with Pittsburgh. Between stopping the run, using Bam Morris as a weapon of mass destruction, and mastering the art of using Woodson to return every kickoff for a TD, he became absolutely unstoppable, despite the O'Donnell liability.

The Bears are pretty underrated, I think. Certainly far from the best, but Salaam and Harris can terrorize when they're in decent condition, Timpson and Conway are pretty good receivers and Carrier and Woolford are absolute monsters in the secondary and on kick returns. DE Bears (Spellman) is pretty good also. The only problem is that Tillman and the other backup are abysmal and the linebackers just suck.

I'd probably have to say the Cowboys, unfortunately. But some good points were brought up. The Steelers are good, but their passing game leaves much to be desired, and their D isn't as overwhelmingly dominating as in TSB I (even though they are certainly good). The Bears, and especially Salaam are underrated. I used to get schooled on the ground when my friend would use Salaam.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might change my vote to the 49ers. Sure, their running game is not great, but Young to Rice almost puts them over the top. I could just see MAN opponents abusing this combo to no end. Also, Dallas' passing game isn't as good as it looks on paper for some reason. So, while overall, I might say the Cowboys (since they can beat you many ways), I think the Niners might be best if your opponent can't stop the pass. I guess it's probably a tie.

Miami is also good, since they have a lot of capable receivers.

I think the top teams are:

-Cowboys

-49ers

-Dolphins

-Steelers

I was trying to think of a fifth team, but I think a lot of teams could compete for that role.

• 2 years later...

once again you guys are probably just playing the com, the best team on the game has to be the cleveland browns. despite the low ball control the best receiver on the game is andre rison. his stats are better than any other receiver except the all time greats. no other receiver is a deep threat like rison. on defense turner is the agent smith to woodson's neo. there is no weakness on that defense. langham is their version of woodson on kicks and punts. the offensive line is one of the best on the game and the kicker is solid. like i said the only weakness is the ball controll, but white runs like he's 69 or 75 bc. note this reply is about the console version

Dallas!?

No.

Pittsburgh or San Francisco. Use 'em sometime. And have a bud use Dallas. Unless that dude sucks, you can crush him with either team. We didn't even have to wait for the Bowl - San Fran & Pitt locked the top two spots by four games before the season ended. And the previous meeting ended in a tie!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Dallas!?

No.

Pittsburgh or San Francisco. Use 'em sometime. And have a bud use Dallas. Unless that dude sucks, you can crush him with either team. We didn't even have to wait for the Bowl - San Fran & Pitt locked the top two spots by four games before the season ended. And the previous meeting ended in a tie!

Proofread much? :?

Jerry Rice is a bit unbalanced - ie, incredibly fast for a wideout. Pittsburgh may have some defender who's "Bo" (ie, tricked out), but I think the versatility of Dallas beats both of those teams in the long run.

• 1 year later...

SF and DAL are off-limits except to complete n00bs. Those teams are more bullshit than my team full of greats, Pro-Bowlers, and customs.

As a bullshit argument, I'd say the best team was either the Cards or the Giants. Tough to pick one, and here's why:

Before I owned an action replay, and during a lull in TSB3 activity in our apartment, my roommate decided to place all of the Greats on the Giants, and all of the custom players on the Cardinals.

Perhaps I should clarify: when he began, the customs were all created, and assigned primarily to the three human-controlled teams, and the Greats were similarly distributed, though some of them may have been left in Free Agency.

Over the course of several weeks (if not months), he managed to get *all* of them separated onto the two teams aforementioned.

To the uninitiated, this still may not seem to be the monumental accomplishment it actually was, but for the experienced TSB3er, understand that this necessarily required the use of the dreaded trades.

He could not possibly have achieved this without having successfully made at least two trades, and, as we all know, offering a trade is the same as offering any of your players in counter-trade. I really don't know how he managed to do it, but I assure you it was done, and without the aid of anything other than an unmodified SNES, TSB3 cart, and a controller.

I digress.

So, aside from *those* teams (and watching the CPU make them play a Superbowl was truly a sight to behold), and aside from the illegal Dallas and San Francisco teams, I'd have to say... Detroit or Carolina.

Detroit because of #20, first and foremost, but they also have Herman Moore and Corey Schlesinger, so if you have to pass, you have decent targets, and their defense has at least one standout at each position.

Carolina because of "the other Barry", the fact that they're a 3-4, the fact that each of their 4 starting LBs is noteworthy, and the fact that they have decent DBs.

--------------------------------

Of course, the question is unfair, because anyone who plays the game adjusts the lineup of their team of choice, and makes off-season moves and creates custom players. The real question should be posed to TSB1.

In *that* case, since Dallas and San Francisco are *still* off-limits ("bitch" teams, we called them) to anyone with an ounce of honor, and since Buffalo is reserved for pansies who are convinced they couldn't otherwise win...

I'd say Green Bay, for the Favre-to-Sharpe indefensible connection, and Brian Noble over Reggie White on defense.

Other choices are:

Steelers - Foster, Woodson, Greene, Lloyd, Green, Stone... good times.

Detroit - Sanders, Spielman, Swilling, Blades, Moore... loads o' fun.

Atlanta - Dickerson, Haynes, Rison, Sanders, Holt, Tuggle... that'll do.

In fact, I'd say that the best *divisions* in TSB1 - *especially* for human-vs-human, are the Central divisions. The AFC Central can easily accomodate three human players, each having a solid team (PIT, CLE, HOU), and the NFC Central is even better, with all five teams being serviceable (though Tampa Bay is clearly a handicap).

I've played many a hijinx-filled season where a wild-card is not a sure thing, and getting a first-round bye is a major accomplishment. Sure, you don't get to face one another in the Superbowl, but playing each human opponent twice - some three times - in a season is quality entertainment.

Not playing a human in the Superbowl is actually better, I think, because then if you lose, the opposition can all claim that *they* could've beaten Dallas, or whomever. When there are an odd number of human players, it only makes sense to stay in one division where possible, and one conference otherwise.

--

pi hole

i don't understand why people would play the computer when they could play against real human opponets.

Are you talking playing live competition or human internet opponents? For all I know you are all just Tecmo equivalents of Deep Blue.

• 3 years later...

In playing the computer, and playing my Defense Only Challenges, I have some new perspective even if the top teams are still Dallas, SF, Pitt, and Miami.

Now, keep in mind that I don't play offense, so a team's defense is not relevant to me. But in TSBIII even a great defense when played by the COM is easy to defeat.

Dallas is hands down the best team:

QB - In DEF Only you live on turnovers and Aikman doesn't throw many picks. It doesn't hurt that he has...

WR - Irvin and Kevin Williams, who they inexplicably make really good. Irvin seems to catch just about everything. Jay Novacek is great, but doesn't get thrown to much.

RB - Emmitt Smith performs more spin moves and leaps than any other RB I face. Daryl Johnston is a nightmare to tackle. Emmitt rarely fumbles.

OL - Awesome.

Special teams - kicker and punter are not very good. But they make Kevin Williams so fast! He's a great returner.

Playbook - they have a really tough playbook to defend, in my opinion.

SF

QB - Steve Young, what more can I say?

WR - Jerry Rice and they even make JJ Stokes pretty decent. Brent Jones is a good target, too.

RB - These are their secret weapons. I don't know why, but they make Derrick Moore and William Floyd really good. When they are in excellent condition they can be devastating, especially if you are defending against the pass (a mistake).

Special Teams - Derek Loville is awful and one of the worst special teams fumblers outside of Pat Chaffey.

Playbook - this is what can prevent them from being as good as Dallas. Easier playbook to defend against.

Pitt

QB - This is why they are nowhere near Dallas and SF. Neil O'Donnell is an INT machine.

WR - Charles Johnson and Andre Hastings? Is that right?

RB - Bam Morris has almost the perfect balance of speed and power and a good variety of runs that are hard to snuff out.

Special teams - When Rod Woodson is in excellent condition he can run punts back for touchdowns. He had two in one game against me.

Playbook - just play against the run.

General - when Rod and Bam are in good-exc condition they are an absolute bear to defeat in DEF Only. But Neil usually provides enough turnovers to give you the upper hand.

Mia

QB - Marino. Super fast passes and hard to INT.

WR - They seem to catch everything. Fryar, Keith Jackson, even suck-ass OJ McDuffie! Byars and Parmalee are also legit targets in many of their pass formations.

RB - Much like Derrick Moore and William Floyd, this is an underrated duo because you can be so focused on the pass. They have good running plays and are a good thunder and lightning pairing.

Special teams - eh.

Playbook - despite their penchant for pass plays you have to respect the run. Their pass plays have a lot of legit targets, but it's also easy to rack up sacks. This is usually how I defeat them - a ton of sacks.

General - there are some games where they are just about unstoppable because Marino releases before you can get to him and his receivers catch everything. I can beat them handily in DEF Only when I can get to Marino, but when I can't they can crush me.

• 1 year later...

Bump... I'm late to this party, but it's a solid thread. Overall the cowboys have the best roster in the game. Darren Woodson is a monster on defense and they don't have a weak point on their entire offense. The Steelers are an elite team strictly because of Rod Woodson. The rest of that defense is stupid too, but Rod is God. Period. Bam is a really good RB too and as long as he's not hurt, he can carry the offense. The Niners and Dolphins, as stated above many times, are the other two tops teams in this game.

After those teams, the best teams are Denver and Oakland. Hands down. Someone above mentioned Cleveland as the best team in the game, which is absurd. While they are a really good squad, and Andre Rison is a machine at WR. The ball control issue is devestating and while Eric Turner is pretty amazing, his low HP for a safety makes it harder to solo tackle alot of the elite RBs in the game.

I would say the Cowboys are the best team in the game, with GB right behind them

Just from what I've played over the years, I came to this conclussion

Best all around

1. Dallas

2. Green Bay

3. San Francisco

4. Pittsburgh

5. Miami

Best Offense

1. Dallas

2. San Francisco

3. Green Bay

4. Miami

5. Oakland

Best Defense

1. Kansas City

2. Dallas

3. Green Bay

4. New England

5. Cleveland

From everytime I've played with SF, their defense gets gashed to death by the running game, where I can stop it with Dallas. NE also has a really good defense in this team that gets over looked I think.