Limiting time per play on kickoffs and punts

Carther

Has anyone looked into limiting time per play. On the play selection screen time stops running after 10 seconds. It would be nice to have this happen on kickoffs. It seems the best way to stall out time is to punt or kick off as it takes 20 seconds

to a minute to do. Some kickoffs can run off 1:30 or more if you return them all of the way for a score. That is one of the most unrealistic and unfun (if that is a word) parts of tecmo to me. It kind of forces you to try an onside kick when you normally wouldn't. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Has anyone looked into limiting time per play. On the play selection screen time stops running after 10 seconds. It would be nice to have this happen on kickoffs. It seems the best way to stall out time is to punt or kick off as it takes 20 seconds

to a minute to do. Some kickoffs can run off 1:30 or more if you return them all of the way for a score. That is one of the most unrealistic and unfun (if that is a word) parts of tecmo to me. It kind of forces you to try an onside kick when you normally wouldn't. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

I definitely second this effort and interest to alter time's passing for kickoffs / punts. Even in 'Coach Mode', I've seen it used as a mechanism to abuse the clock.

• 3 weeks later...

I like this idea.

Not to hijack the thread, but how does someone determine which values affect various parts of the game? Is there a program to see which hex values are used during certain parts/plays? I have always wondered this....

Example: How did someone find out that Passing Speed was at 2BE54?

Yes,

The FCEUX emulator has a built in code/data logger. When you start it it will highlight data in blue and then it will highlight code in yellow.

However even only a few seconds of play there is often a lot of possibilities for things.

The best thing with FCEUX is you can change data on the fly via the hex editor and see its effects. Great for making plays, testing some of the probability data etc,

I might not know how to use FCEUX properly, so it might already have this capability...

However, the one thing that would significantly help with debugging is if that tool would let you "Go to highlighted section" when it highlights the bytes. Currently, I do something, then I just scroll slowly hoping I don't miss the section that's highlighted in blue (which doesn't have much contrast with the black, by the way)...