Bruddog 2008-2009 ROM BETA update (1-7-2010)

bruddog

LATEST update:bruddog_2008_base_15min_playbook_rev2.zip

Fixed problem with checking player 2 conditions. I had forgotten to implement the player 2 condition hack correctly:

New offensive plays since last posting added:

RUN:

I-form plays converted to power I and HB runs them.

GUN Bunch Draw

2TE Offtackle R (RB given control sooner and better blocking)

2Te OFF ACKLER (FB Offtackle L converted into 2TE Set)

Still coming (i-form counter toss, spread qb sneak, quick FB toss, and more)

PASS:

T PLAYACT SLUGGO SEAM (Quicker play action for QB)

I-FORM PLAY ACTION (Quicker play action for QB runs out of power I formation)

Offset Flare E (Runs out of the power I formation)

Singleback HB Screen (A true working HB screen pass)

Gun Bunch Slot Option ( Tight 4WR formation. Slot WR's run either seam patterns or corner paterns randomly)

Gun Bunch WR Fly (Bottom Wr fly. Top Wr comeback route)

Sread Bubble Option (Top WR runs quick hitch, then runs backward behind line of scrimmage. Then runs forward again.

No Back Deep (Run out of the 4 WR run and shoot formation)

PITCH FLEA FLICKER (Same as PITCH L OPEN but RB pitches back to QB)

Still coming (better playaction for all play action plays, triangle trips up top formation)

Here is a beta version. Still looking to possibly tweak the defense a bit and planning on adding more offensive plays as well as making the existing playactions quicker. This is a 2008-2009 rom based on the end of last season. The player ratings should be pretty good though i haven't gone over them with a fine tooth comb.

PROGRESS:

Offensive Playbook: 50% (Still quite a few things to add/fix)

New Defenses: 95% (Might tweak a few things)

Player Ratings: 99% (Down to minor tweaks possible

Other Hacks: 100%

This ROM is meant for MAN-MAN play. Some of the offensive plays haven't been coded to work for COM vs MAN play.

Read below about how the defensive slots work and about the gameplay hacks.

DEFENSIVE SLOTS

This is probably the most notable hack. All defenses were created from scratch.

I'm thinking about not always making picking the opposite playcall make your DL getting set to 38HP. Also if you pick the correct play and get boosts 60% of the time they get boosts 40% they get set to 38hp. Thinking about changing the percentage there as well.

Thinking about making the corners sometimes line up farther back in the 4-3 and sometimes line up closer in the 3-4 pass defenses.

slot 1: 3-4 run up defense:

vs run: DL gets random boost sets. defense flows to weak side (top). run rush

vs pass: DL set to 38 HP average coverage 1.5 (CB1 25% WR1, CB2 25% WR2, LB1 50% RB1, LB2 50%RB2)

slot 2: 4-3 run down defense:

vs run: DL gets random boost sets. defense flows to strong side (bottom). run rush

vs pass: DL set to 38 HP average coverage 1 (CB1 25% WR1, CB2 25% WR2, LB1 25% RB1, LB2 25%RB2)

slot 3: 4-4 defense:

vs: run: DL gets random boost sets. defense flows to all gaps. run rush

vs pass: DL set to 38 HP average coverage 0.75 (CB1 25% WR1, CB2 25% WR2, LB1 18% RB1, LB2 18%RB2)

slot 4 goal-line defense (7-1-1)

vs: run: DL gets random boost sets. defense flows to all gaps. run rush

vs pass: DL set to 38 HP average coverage 0.75 (CB1 25% WR1, CB2 25% WR2, LB1 18% RB1, LB2 18%RB2)

slot 5: 3-4 pass blitz

vs: run: DL set to 38 HP. CB's & LB's run backwards then flow towards middle.

vs pass: average coverage 2.25 DL gets random boost sets. 4 LB's attack tackles or rush the middle. middle lbs occasionally drop into flats. CB's will pause in coverage 88% of the time and then re-cover. FS 25% cover TE, 75% short zone. SS 25% move to blitz. 75% move near Los and mirror QB.

slot 6: 4-3 pass D

vs: run: DL set to 38 HP. CB's and Db's move to cover WR's CB's & LB's run backwards then flow towards middle.

vs pass: average coverage 2.5 DL gets random boost sets. OL LB's take away flats for short middle. MLB QB spy. CB's close to line. DB's move to line up against WR's

CB1-75% WR1 CB2- 75% WR2 FS- 50% TE

slot 7: 3-4 pass D

vs: run: DL set to 38 HP. CB's & LB's run backwards then flow towards middle.

vs pass: average coverage 3 DL gets random boost sets. OL LB's take away flats for short middle. MLB QB spy. CB's far from line. DB's move to line up against WR's

(CB1-75% WR1) (CB2- 75% WR2) ( FS- 75% TE) (SS 75% RB-2)

slot 8: dime defense

vs: run: DL set to 38 HP defense flows to all gaps. CB's & LB's run backwards then flow towards middle.

vs pass WR's coverage:2 double covered by DB's LB's far off line up scrimmage. middle lbs take away deep middle. outside lbs take away deep outs. Safety covers TE 50%.

I'm not on my home computer so I forget all the hacks(I think this is just about all of them) but here are the most important:

HACKS

1. Grapple hack (HP (0-30 taps)+ random (0-30 taps) + tapping) Basically this leads to the higher HP guys winning often vs low HP guys but not always.

2. Passing game revamped. Shitty Qb's will underthrow deep passes more often. More defenders can JJ int and also whiff. There is not quite as drastic a difference between shitty qbs and great qbs in terms of completing covered passes. Great secondaries do a better job of slowing down elite qb combinations.

3. PC/PA hack (passing control determines if pass is on target. passing ability determines completion percentage)

4. Passing arc hack. Most qbs throw with the same arc now.

5. APB hack. Passes get blocked slightly less often.

6. Injury hack (players get injured more often) I think I need to adjust the rate it seems like it might be too high.

7. Dedicated returner hack. One returner is a multi purpose KR/PR.

8. Faster interceptions hack. Quickness is the max speed on interceptions and fumbles. I advise setting most lbs and dl to 06qui.

9. Slightly easier PR hack

10. 15 min quarters that play like 6 min quarters. Playbook screen still runs like normal so it doesn't make sense to waste time there.

11. Player 2 conditions fix. Player 2 conditions display correctly.

12. In-game playbook change hack

13. Preseason injuries on

A couple notes on new offensive plays.

1. Any of the spread formation (5WR empty back)plays your qb has control basically right away. Thus you can get rid of the ball even quicker than normal.

2. The WR reverse that is in slot 3 for now should work much better especially if paired with the same formation run down. You get control of he WR right away(you need to move him in the right direction) and the rb will toss it to you. It's best if you make it look like the running play.

Brud, would you mind documenting some of your playbook hacks? Is your stuff easily transferable to the SNES, or did you have to edit a bunch of other crap? I have the play locations for the SNES (it's the same setup as the NES) and I'd like to transfer some of your wildcat hacks to the SNES. Does your play code just lift right out, or are there things outside of the playbook script that need altering?

Do you just want certain plays and not the whole playbook?

It's a bit tricker in that case since I overwrote some other play locations and may have had to make jumps to other locations.

If you want certain plays the best way is to: use fce ultra to see what code its using. THen transfer that code over into an open space or a play you don't want to use.

Sorry I will fix that bug shortly. The run 3 shotgun draw play causes the game to freeze since i over wrote a few of the locations it uses without updating the pointers. And I plan on changing that play to something else likely.

I can tell you that the man vs com play likely won't be great. Perhaps pasting my defenses onto BUCK's rom MIGHT be good for man vs com play. However there will always be open WR's vs the com.

Also I will work on better names however the character limit makes it hard

What do you suggest instead of WCAT FB JET SWP: WILDCAT SWEEP?

Just like to note a glitch with the reverse play for the Cardinals (forget the name but it involves Boldin).

I called the play in the red zone. When James was running in, Boldin instead of staying back, moved past the line of scrimmage. James targeted him, and while Boldin didn't get it, the ball was in the endzone, so TD. However the game seemed to have ruled it as a fumble so the yards wouldn't count. Just pointing it out.

That's because you have to control boldin right away and make him run the right pattern for the reverse. I gave control to the user right away so that the reverse would work a bit better.

If you don't move the WR near the RB the RB will toss it to the WR wherever he is.

Just like to note a glitch with the reverse play for the Cardinals (forget the name but it involves Boldin).

I called the play in the red zone. When James was running in, Boldin instead of staying back, moved past the line of scrimmage. James targeted him, and while Boldin didn't get it, the ball was in the endzone, so TD. However the game seemed to have ruled it as a fumble so the yards wouldn't count. Just pointing it out.

One thing that seemed odd were the number of fumbles...Idk if it was just the teams I were using (CLE vs CAR) or that it was that it was MAN vs COM...or just dumb luck...but it was about 5 fumbles when I played.

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran the craziest play on this rom. WR Reverse to Jacoby Jones. Collins hands the ball off to Chris Johnson, but instead of taking the handoff, I ran downfield with Jones but got tied up. Chris Johnson shovels the ball 15 yards downfield...refs call it a fumble. LG Eugene Amano picks it up and scrambles 45 yards for the score. Good stuff.

Devil's Advocate: Reverses only work about once a game in real life if the defense isn't expecting it.

Having one that works fairly successfully makes it worth having in a playbook but takes away from what might normally happen.

Yes the reverse play requires you to control the WR right away. It's the only way to make a decent play.

Totally agree with you Rod. Although there are a lot of things that work more often in Tecmo (80 yd bombs) than they do in real life. It's still not going to be a super awesome play but the old style WR reverse has basically 0 chance of working.