Keeping Tecmo Super Bowl Ultra Alive

raiderfan2kx

Alright, I Decided To Keep Tecmo Super Bowl Ultra Alive with a project, Most of these items were downloaded off the site, so i decided to do it.

For Those who don't know Tecmo Super Bowl Ultra, This is a Compilation Rom, but this time it now features every NFL Team dating back to 1960, plus a variety of College Football Teams, the 2005 CFL Season, and the 2001 XFL Season., so download it here!

If You Want Any Suggestions or Changes (Including Player Corrections, Team Uniforms, etc.), please post here, good luck!

TSB Ultra.zip

tsbu_lge.zip

Cool...I tried creating a data file the other day and couldn't figure it out initially.

This reminds me that I should try and contact the original author and see if he still has the source code and would release it for further development.

Stupid question here but where to i put the file with the season roms so the inital app will read it correctly?

If You want the Season Roms to Tecmo Super Bowl Ultra, You Must Use tsbultra50.exe, then if you click the Manage Button and click Import Teams then select a .nes rom that has to do with Tecmo Super Bowl and pick the teams you want to make a league and assigned teams to an Existing League or Create Your Own League to the tsbu_lge folder.

Well, This Could be the 1st Expansion Pack for Tecmo Super Bowl Ultra, including these teams are 10 new College Teams from the past

1970: Ohio State and Stanford (1971 Rose Bowl - Stanford won 27-17)

1971: Nebraska and Oklahoma (The Game of the Century - Nebraska won 35-31)

1973: Alabama and Notre Dame (40th Sugar Bowl - Notre Dame won 24-23)

1976: Georgia and Pittsburgh (43rd Sugar Bowl - Pittsburgh won 27-3)

1987: Miami and Oklahoma (1988 Orange Bowl - Miami won 20-14)

So Download yourself in order to update the Classic NCAA folder, and if you more College Football Teams to add on the next on Add-On Packs, reply here.

Add On Pack #1.zip

Hi,

I just downloaded this, and i LOVE this idea, but i just have a question. How do i make it so i can use the season mode, and other options, cause all i can do is import teams, edit teams and play a single game.

Thanks

So, Here's What You Need

For Season Mode (Because It's Not Included in any of these versions, So Probably if someone can use it on the next update) = You need single game to play, and after that play again and select different teams, and if you want to make a schedule before you start a season, you need a text program like wordpad, after the game is over just track the stats manually.

If You Want to Make A New League = You Want to Import Teams into a new league file (Example = if you want to import Team A to a New League go to Create New League and type a league like "My League" and press the OK Button)

And If You Want to Edit Teams (Maybe it will be back in the next update) = You Must Tecmo Super Bowl Ultra v. 50 and click edit teams and pick a league you want and edit.

Hopefully that will helps.

so like new league, and season mode, are not included yet on that u are saying??

Yes, Maybe someone can do it on the next update if someone has the original source code, as for that on the Next Team Expansion Pack it will include more NCAA Teams (1980 BYU, 1980 SMU, 1982 Arkansas, 1982 Florida, 1982 Maryland, 1982 Washington, 1986 BYU, 1986 UCLA), 1959 NFL, and much more as well to include in the next expansion pack.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wow...I had forgotten all about this project. I was unable to find it with a quick check on my network storage. I may have it stored on a backup DVD or cd, but I am away from home this week; so, I can't check until I get back home this weekend.

The old code was C++ and mostly ATL-COM to hook into the emulator. The technology is a bit outdated. If I can find the source, I'll post it.

Hmm....I may even think about reviving the project. I've learned some XNA dev and this might be a decent project to try and learn more. Unfortunately, real life took over during the original dev. But, it probably would survive longer with multiple people working on it.

Sorry guys, I checked and have been unable to find the source.

I'll think about reviving this idea, but really don't have much time to spare.

If I were going to do this again, I'd keep the source somewhere like sourceforge.

The toughest thing about recreating tsbu is finding the ram locations to control gameplay.

All of that info was located with and in the source code.

Well, I guess this might be a good excuse to switch to a different emulator.

In the last several years the overall knowledge base has grown as well so some of it is going to be documented.

Sorry guys, I checked and have been unable to find the source.

I'll think about reviving this idea, but really don't have much time to spare.

If I were going to do this again, I'd keep the source somewhere like sourceforge.

The toughest thing about recreating tsbu is finding the ram locations to control gameplay.

All of that info was located with and in the source code.

I've spent some time looking at all the developments that have happened in the past 6 years or so. It's absolutely amazing.

There are some really dedicated people working on trying to keep Tecmo alive.

With that said, I don't have much time available, but I'm going to try to give this a shot...the only promise I can make is that I will post the source code somewhere for all to see and play with if they like.

Using your suggestion Rod, I downloaded the source for Nestopia 1.40. It took a bit of fiddling, but I was able to get it to compile and run Tecmo. What I'm more apt to do is port it to C# from the nasty Microsoft version of C++ it currently uses. I think it would be easier, and more beneficial, for folks to learn C# rather than Microsoft's C++ if they wanted to contribute.

I have no time table as to how long it will take, but when the port is ready I'll upload to sourceforge or a simiar source hosting site. One of the major things missing in Nestopia is a debugger and memory viewer. This is something that will have to be implemented. Also, I don't plan on porting all of Nestopia, just mapper 4 code and things necessary to play Tecmo. The netplay feature I saw people asking for is pretty simple to add to any emu using kaillera.

So, here is the official start. No, timeframe. But, first release will be nothing more than an emulator with Tecmo embedded (same as Tecmo Superbowl Ultra) with netplay support added and all written in C#. From there, a team of contributers can be organized to add features, etc.

All of the valuable info learned over the past few years can be added via an IPS patching system. So, features can be turned on/off at anytime. Some of the great stuff I saw is the discovery of where certain screens are loaded. This is great, because now the code can simply intercept those calls and produce it's own screen for team selection, etc...That alone will give Tecmo the ability to expand the number of selectable teams as far as the imagination can take it.

You can also check out FCEuX if you want to as well on the emulator as that one is one of the most highly developed. This would have the debugger and memory viewer you're looking for and probably wouldn't be too hard to get Kaileria implemented as there is code out there for that. I forget the reason that the community doesn't use this for net play.

Getting Nestopia to compile was a bitch, so I know where you are coming from. Porting to C# might also kick start the current Nestopia group.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just found some time to work on this.

I looked at fceux, but it actually looks like nestopia would be easier to port to c#.

Right now, I'm going to look around and see what other c# nes emulators are available.

I would much rather just add netplay if missing rather than port a full emu.

I will test the ones I find and see which one plays tecmo the best and go from there.

The original Tecmo Ultra was basically hacking an emulator instead of the rom itself.

Thus, instead of limiting yourself to 28 or 32 teams, you can have an infinite number of teams....think along the lines of having 1978 USC play the 1986 Packers...stuff like that.

It also allows you to toggle off and on things like weather or juice or etc.

To find out more about the history, read this thread or check out the old TSB Ultra forum that currently resides in the general dump.

So, I've searched and read everything I could find about this project, but I'm still not exactly clear on what the product would be. Could you please give me a brief rundown of what the concept behind Ultra is?

That's Good, That You Could Have an Infinite Number of Teams Per League, So I Will Hopefully see that Tecmo Super Bowl Ultra would be Java Based soon, but i've added another add on pack as well, including the 1958 NFL Season, As well as an updated version of the 1999 NCAA Football Season, plus 10 More Classic College Teams, and more!, so download yourself now.

Add On Pack #4.zip