TOURNAMENTS

berniebomb

• 1 month later...

Thank you sir.

A couple more questions about the tournament stuff; it's the 1991 NES version of the game right? I know that's probably as noob-ish of question as there is but I'm woefully ignorant. Does anyone have a link to the typical tournament rules? I've read bits and pieces of acceptable play behavior vs unacceptable but never seen it all in one spot. Any info / redirect much appreciated.

Bradybandwagonfan: My brother and I host the Madison, Wisconsin tourney each year. Send your email to [email protected] to get your name on our spreadsheet, thereby ensuring you'll receive official notice of the tourney. It looks like its going to be March 6th this year. Same goes for anyone else. I can also probably forward you last year's rules if you so desire.

Thank you sir.

A couple more questions about the tournament stuff; it's the 1991 NES version of the game right? I know that's probably as noob-ish of question as there is but I'm woefully ignorant. Does anyone have a link to the typical tournament rules? I've read bits and pieces of acceptable play behavior vs unacceptable but never seen it all in one spot. Any info / redirect much appreciated.

Basic tournament rules pulled from the Cincy tournament page viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11718

9 Simple Tournament Rules:

1. Have Fun!

2. No throwing equipment or intentionally damaging equipment. Doing so will result in a forfeit from the tournament.

3. No looking at opponent’s controller or eye movement when picking plays.

4. If equipment fails during the game, games will be replayed from the start unless it is halftime. After halftime, scores are taken from the first half and another half is played. Scores from each half are added together to form final score. Kickoffs are as they should have been if malfuntioned game had played through.

5. NO lurching (dive tackling over the line of scrimmage with a DL). DL is allowed, but you must either drop back into coverage or go outside the offensive tackle to rush.

6. Onsides kicks are okay anytime (aka, “at your own risk”).

7. Fourth man down (ROLB) is allowed for use on XPs, not FGs. Also, no WR at RB.

8. Playbook changes are allowed.

9. Discuss on whether the two opponents before the game starts if they would like to see in-game coin toss or not. It is random, so it doesn't matter. I, myself, prefer to see the actual toss. So discuss it amongst yourselves. I would advise if the toss is witnessed. But that's not my call. Talk to each other.

***If both parties agree to forego any of rules 5 through 9 before a game, then it’s acceptable.***

If you go to one of these tournaments go to have fun and play live TSB against good players. Don't go in thinking you'll dominate - cause them boys is good!

Sweet, that's an easy to understand baseline to start getting to understand. As far as the DE/NT having to drop into coverage versus grappling; if someone is running the R&S Flare from the 1st pass play are you allowed to charge in the opening if you were using Bruce Smith for example? I noticed this a couple weeks ago that the offensive line totally abandones that spot and it leaves the lane wide open, it's been a curiosity of mine since then.

I've no illusions of being the goat at TSB but it's waaaay too fun to not wanna get in on these tournaments so thank you again for the info and the links!! I'm going to try and coordinate leave for that period, about how long do the tourney's take? Week? Couple of days? Anyways I'm super excited now lol, thanks again :lol:

Any sort of local tournament typically is a one day event.

There are "online leagues" available which is typically an ongoing thing.

Sweet, that's an easy to understand baseline to start getting to understand. As far as the DE/NT having to drop into coverage versus grappling; if someone is running the R&S Flare from the 1st pass play are you allowed to charge in the opening if you were using Bruce Smith for example? I noticed this a couple weeks ago that the offensive line totally abandones that spot and it leaves the lane wide open, it's been a curiosity of mine since then.

I've no illusions of being the goat at TSB but it's waaaay too fun to not wanna get in on these tournaments so thank you again for the info and the links!! I'm going to try and coordinate leave for that period, about how long do the tourney's take? Week? Couple of days? Anyways I'm super excited now lol, thanks again :lol:

On the Bruce Smith thing.. unfortunately you'd have to rush outside the tackles I believe. There's really a ton of gray area if you do it any other way.

On the Bruce Smith thing.. unfortunately you'd have to rush outside the tackles I believe. There's really a ton of gray area if you do it any other way.

what about the 'pull-down' and bounce the OL technique?