Reorganization of Knobbe.org

Rodman49

In order to make Knobbe.org a little more user friendly for newcomers, new modders (ROM editors), and generally more accessible and organized Knobbe has suggested we provide some type of avenue for feedback and suggestions. I'll start it off in a new thread that spawned out of the 2009-2010 Tecmo Reviews Thread.

Reorganization should be compartmentalized into the following categories listed in priority.

1. Improve Forum Navigation and General Organization

Tecmo Super Bowl

-- Tecmo Super Bowl - NES (Needs thread at top with download links and setup guide)

-- Other Versions (I'd probably remove the Image from Tecmo Bowl Kickoff; every forum needs thread with download links with setup guide at top)

-- Official 32 Team TSB 2009 Rom (Redirect to thread with download link, review, setup guide, and discussion)

Online Tecmo

-- Tecmo Player's Circuit - Pickup NES Games (Why doesn't this go straight to the Tecmo Player's Circuit Forum) (Needs thread at top with setup guide)

-- Tecmo Leagues/Center (Openings should be at top, private forums below it) (Needs top thread that has explanation) - I barely care about this

Tecmo ROM/Hacking Section

-- Tecmo Download Section (this should be at the top and it should be updated) (stuff that should be put here should have full documentation of hacks and a review or maybe rating analysis by Bruddog)

-- Tecmo Upload Section (needs a top thread that is a guide for uploading and a link to the other forums. Move other stickied threads to somewhere more appropriate)

-- Tecmo Roms Editing (How does this not have a single sticky thread? Needs guide thread from #2)

-- Tecmo Super Bowl Manager (Buh What? No FAQ at top here!?!?)

-- Tecmo Hacking (looks golden I think, but I haven't edited a rom yet)

Other Topics (looks golden)

2. Make a n00b Guide for Tecmo Editing containing (one thread)

- Common Tools

- Walkthroughs for editing every part of Tecmo

- Example Rom Links

- 2007 Clean Version for Modding

- Common Hacks Listed and Available for D/L

- Advanced Hacks Listed and Available for D/L

3. An Updated FAQ containing

- What is Knobbe.org?

- How can I play Tecmo Super Bowl on my computer?

- How can I play Tecmo Super Bowl online?

- How can I play on an online Tecmo Super Bowl League?

- Are there any updated versions of Tecmo Super Bowl with things like new rosters?

- How can I edit Tecmo Super Bowl? (link to thread guide from #2)

4. Some Kind of Regular Front page news updates

Maybe Knobbe's weekly play of the week. We can put interesting thread links and descriptions. We also need to make a one-three sentence short statement of What is Knobbe.org? (where Latest News is now). Then have the first two or three most recent news posts. The left sidebar could also some spiffying up. Should be:

Main Menu:

-- Home

-- Blog

-- Hosted Sites

-- Tecmo Links

-- Tournaments

Fix the Little login thing to be more useful.

Add Top Five Threads

Add Newest Dowloads

Maybe Rotating Ad for Various Roms

5. Customizable RSS Feed for forums

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr. Paul Ryan wrote:

Some reorganizing would definitely help n00bs like me out. An updated sticky of editing tools with download links (maybe include a link to cxrom's original 32-team rom; it took me nearly an hour to find it), and especially a sticky of hacks with download links. Every dedicated KR/PR hack I download has that old glitch where it makes the computer-controlled returner run backwards for five yards before running forward.

I am all for this if I can find a way for people to ignore an entire section because I while it's fun for some, the same crap is annoying for others and gets in the way of rom and hacking development

quote="DAMFNDRZA"]6. Bring back TPC Smackdown. :)

With all due respect sir, rom and hacking developers are great but should be smart enough to cipher out smack posts if they dont want to read them. The Smackdown section sparked my reinterest in tsb and Im surely not the only one that would like to see it's return. The sub title to the forum was pure genius- "Please confine all God complexes and undeserved sense of entitlement to this section." (something along those lines.) At least if we were able to view those old posts, that would be great.

The original subtitle was:

Please confine your God complex(es), underserved sense of entitlement, and raw fingered hostility to this section. While your Sois PowerPoll ranking may be higher, your inflated PTD and crackwhore-esque grammar generally does not favor your Natural Selection Power Poll ranking.

We need to get the downloads section organized first before we start riding the guides. The first few basic files we need are:

• Nestopia 1.40 w/ Kaillera
    Nestopia 1.39 w/ Kaillera
    Tecmo Super Bowl ROM
    Tecmo Bowl ROM
    PSX Tecmo Super Bowl ISO
    PSX Emulator (I assume ePSXe?)
    Tecmo Super Bowl I ROM for SNES and GENESIS
    Tecmo Super Bowl II ROM for SNES and GENESIS
    Tecmo Super Bowl III ROM for SNES and GENESIS

Over the years I really flux between sorting the roms into all these sub-forums vs. outside organization, like a wiki or download section.

I think that the forum way is a bit limiting, as unless you have some sort of mod on your board you're almost limited to slotting a rom into one category. Also, instead of trying to find a rom among hundreds you instead have to navigate a labyrinth.

I'm definitely open to suggestions.

We really need the upload section sorted.

don't. if your curiousity gets the best of you don't click at work or in front of women or children.

I remember it well in 1999. I was sitting in my cubicle on the West side of Manhattan, watching some movie on styleproject (the site for all things gross, back in the day). It was a film of some Croatian soldier having his head held down to the ground and his throat cut open by some adversary or another. That was it. That was the whole video. Watching this dude's throat get slashed, seeing him wail for his life while he still had some potential to make a sound with his voice, and then just seeing him bleed dry.

It was at this moment that I decided to forgo watching movies that weren't going to cultivate my brain in anyway that I'd consider beneficial. I feel it was a wise decision I made. That whole 'Two Girl and a Cup', thing? Totally missed out on all of that shit--literally. I whole-heartily believe that ill-intentioned curiosity begets only ill-results.

Over the years I really flux between sorting the roms into all these sub-forums vs. outside organization, like a wiki or download section.

I think that the forum way is a bit limiting, as unless you have some sort of mod on your board you're almost limited to slotting a rom into one category. Also, instead of trying to find a rom among hundreds you instead have to navigate a labyrinth.

As far as roms: by platform (NES, SNES, etc.), then by year should work fine. Someone started doing this in the wiki and it looked good. Hacks and other non-rom-specific stuff should be separate. Coach roms and NCAA roms should also each have a section.

As far as roms: by platform (NES, SNES, etc.), then by year should work fine. Someone started doing this in the wiki and it looked good. Hacks and other non-rom-specific stuff should be separate. Coach roms and NCAA roms should also each have a section.

I think the forum could handle it if it is organized well. So, for example, instead of just having one massive "Tecmo Rom Upload Section", you could have NES roms before 1980 upload section, NES roms 1980-1999 upload section, NES roms 2000-2010 upload section, All Time Greats roms upload section, Coach Roms upload section, 32-team rom upload section, SNES rom upload section, NCAA rom upload section, and so on.

Maybe make the categories a little broader if you think that is too unwieldy.

don't. if your curiousity gets the best of you don't click at work or in front of women or children.

I remember it well in 1999. I was sitting in my cubicle on the West side of Manhattan, watching some movie on styleproject (the site for all things gross, back in the day). It was a film of some Croatian soldier having his head held down to the ground and his throat cut open by some adversary or another. That was it. That was the whole video. Watching this dude's throat get slashed, seeing him wail for his life while he still had some potential to make a sound with his voice, and then just seeing him bleed dry.

It was at this moment that I decided to forgo watching movies that weren't going to cultivate my brain in anyway that I'd consider beneficial. I feel it was a wise decision I made. That whole 'Two Girl and a Cup', thing? Totally missed out on all of that shit--literally. I whole-heartily believe that ill-intentioned curiosity begets only ill-results.

Well that's just fucked up. I don't understand why people get a kick out of that stuff. I also have made a point to avoid "Two Girls One Cup", although I know what basically happens despite never seeing it.

I think I never did it that way because I thought that the download section would get cluttered if just anyone could put stuff there. However, that's probably easier to deal with in the long run because instead of always requiring action, you only need action if necessary.

I think the forum could handle it if it is organized well. So, for example, instead of just having one massive "Tecmo Rom Upload Section", you could have NES roms before 1980 upload section, NES roms 1980-1999 upload section, NES roms 2000-2010 upload section, All Time Greats roms upload section, Coach Roms upload section, 32-team rom upload section, SNES rom upload section, NCAA rom upload section, and so on.

Maybe make the categories a little broader if you think that is too unwieldy.

Already have an idea on this as well as the technology on this, as well as several other things, have finally caught up enough where they're a snap to implement. I am trying to refrain from adding on, which i enjoy doing, until I have more organization.

While were reorging, can we install some phpbb plugin that mobilizes this place. I saw one for an iPhone not long ago. That would make my browsing during work time more enjoyable!