Buck's TSB 09-10 ROM (new plays!) EOS UL Feb 27

buck

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buck, have you thought about giving us the details or explanations of how you named your plays? And have you considered posting a visual playbook so people can see all the new plays easily?

seriously?

Formation Name =

1B = one back

RS = run and shoot (spread)

SG = shotgun

SGT = shotgun T (t = two backs)

L = L formation (kind of an offset PRO) named "L" because the QB,RB1,RB2 look like the letter "L" and it fits the space

PRO = pro set

OI = offset I (with RB2 at tailback, like the original set)

INV OI = inverted offset I (RB1 at tailback, and the set is "flipped" when compared to OI)

2TE = two tight-ends

WCAT = wildcat

5 WIDE = shotgun with no back (all lined up as receivers)

if you go to the playbook screen during the game, you'll see how it works.

1. an abbreviation of the formation

2. followed by a brief "description" of the play

3. who really cares what the description is - look at the picture, run it, see what happens, remember it.

to me, the most important thing was lining up how the 'formation names' look for the in-game playbook selection - so you can easily (quickly) set up a playbook against a MAN opponent.

I don't have the time to post a visual playbook. If you would like to take all the screen-shots, cut and paste, and organize them - then maybe you could do yourself and people who need such a reference a favor.

seriously? I don't have the time to post a visual playbook. If you would like to take all the screen-shots, cut and paste, and organize them - then maybe you could do yourself and people who need such a reference a favor.

Actually, I am serious and I did consider doing it for your rom but have no free time. I thought I'd ask you first as I didn't know if you had done it already or made one as you were creating your playbook. I was just curious. Thanks for the info you provided below.

seriously? I don't have the time to post a visual playbook. If you would like to take all the screen-shots, cut and paste, and organize them - then maybe you could do yourself and people who need such a reference a favor.

Actually, I am serious and I did consider doing it for your rom but have no free time. I thought I'd ask you first as I didn't know if you had done it already or made one as you were creating your playbook. I was just curious. Thanks for the info you provided below.

cool. I updated the 1st post to include the "formation info" that I posted above.

update...sorry, but some recent MAN v MAN games have revealed some team defense weaknesses - so I had to tweak some guys...also tweaked kickoffs to range from 20 to middle of endzone.

VANILLA is available.

1st to download 8) All the females in my house are going shopping tomorrow. Being the only male, I have been ordered to stay home. Buddy coming over, we're playing this rom, probably 6 hours uninterrupted TSB, it really is a Xmas miracle!

1st to download 8) All the females in my house are going shopping tomorrow. Being the only male, I have been ordered to stay home. Buddy coming over, we're playing this rom, probably 6 hours uninterrupted TSB, it really is a Xmas miracle!

awesome...love it when the females leave!

This is even better than the earlier rom. Running against the COM is probably the best I've ever played in any rom of Tecmo Bowl. Challenging and rewarding when you manage a run over 5 or 10 yards. It's pretty realistic in that normally most runs go for 3-5 yards run and I've noticed that when I hand off to my RB I'm looking downfield to see where all the defenders are which is key to runs longer than 2 or 3 yards.

The only negative is I've noticed that the COM's QB has a hard time throwing for more than 150-200 yards and doesn't normally complete a high percentage of passes (usually in the 30-40% range). I've been playing as Tampa Bay and boy is it a challenge!! But in the game against the Saints, Brees only had around a 30 completion percentage and only about 140 yards passing. I won on a last second FG, 24-21 in 8 minute quarters.

The only thing that could make this rom better, IMO, is different defensive formations like the ones seen in xplozv's rom. Other than that, this one is near perfect. Awesome job.

This is even better than the earlier rom. Running against the COM is probably the best I've ever played in any rom of Tecmo Bowl. Challenging and rewarding when you manage a run over 5 or 10 yards. It's pretty realistic in that normally most runs go for 3-5 yards run and I've noticed that when I hand off to my RB I'm looking downfield to see where all the defenders are which is key to runs longer than 2 or 3 yards.

The only negative is I've noticed that the COM's QB has a hard time throwing for more than 150-200 yards and doesn't normally complete a high percentage of passes (usually in the 30-40% range). I've been playing as Tampa Bay and boy is it a challenge!! But in the game against the Saints, Brees only had around a 30 completion percentage and only about 140 yards passing. I won on a last second FG, 24-21 in 8 minute quarters.

The only thing that could make this rom better, IMO, is different defensive formations like the ones seen in xplozv's rom. Other than that, this one is near perfect. Awesome job.

cool, yeah the only way to make COM passing better is to make it too tough to get INTs - because they just throw it, there is no real "decision" made.

regarding the defensive formations, I think it looks good on paper - but I'm a "purist". I like the fact that you can "call" the other guy's play. So many games I've played with equally skilled players come down to "picking plays"...to take that strategic component away is to step too far away from original TSB, in my opinion - the rest is just cosmetic.

Stay with me a minute here:

- Just got a new Verizon Droid phone

- Long time fan of NES Tecmo Super Bowl

- A few years ago downloaded emulator & ROM onto my laptop and had fun playing all the great seasons of Tecmo out there, as well as RBI Baseball

- Figured out how to do the same on my new Droid

- Stumbled across this site, and in particular Buck's XMas updated '09-'10 NFL Rom

- Downloaded it and just played a few games on my phone, LOVED IT

- Joined the forum as a member just so I could write a thank you note to Buck and the rest of you hard corers out there who make this possible.

- So, BIG THANK YOU

That's all, back to work for me

Starting to convert over to man play a little - tried this rom out and it's great. Nice work, Buck. Especially love the coverage hack!

One thing I noticed...you said the PR speed was fixed to actual, but I still see value 82 @ 2908B, not 87. (Yeah, I'm starting to know what I'm talking about 8) )

A few things I find odd about the Jets:

What's up with the uniforms? All white, no green? Looks really weird

Dustin Keller is black, not white

Kellen Clemens has better pass accuracy and pass block avoidance than Mark Sanchez?

Braylon Edwards is a 31 for receptions while both backup wideouts are 44?

I'm not even saying the starters should necessarily be made better... I just don't think the backups should be better than them. Because they're not.

1. the all-white uniforms are an experiment (their arms are green)

2. for some reason I keep screwing up Keller...

3. I think Clemens is a more accurate passer (less likely to throw INT) than Sanchez (you have a point on APB)

4. Braylon Edwards is two notches faster than the backups. And in every game I've seen, he's dropped at least two easy passes.

5. a lot of teams screw themselves by starting inferior "stars".

EDIT:

There will be another update when the playoff teams are set. If the JETS make the playoffs, there will be some rating bumps.

A few things I find odd about the Jets:

What's up with the uniforms? All white, no green? Looks really weird

Dustin Keller is black, not white

Kellen Clemens has better pass accuracy and pass block avoidance than Mark Sanchez?

Braylon Edwards is a 31 for receptions while both backup wideouts are 44?

I'm not even saying the starters should necessarily be made better... I just don't think the backups should be better than them. Because they're not.

PR Speed does use returner's MS.

here's my notes:

#KR and PR JSTOUT fix

SET( 0x29083, 0x4cc0bfea )
SET( 0x2bfd0, 0xa008b1aec90af007c98af0114c7790a918a479c008d00318e9094c7790a998a478c008d00318e9094c7790 )
SET( 0x2908B, 0x82)

jstout wrote: "I figured out the problem. The old PR hack that uses the Quickness

changes the value of the player to be used. In your rom the REC was

being used in with your fast player (Hester) had a 6.

Change x2908B from x87 (REC) to x82 (MS) and everything will be

correct."

so, I'm probably using a different hack than the one that you're using.

Starting to convert over to man play a little - tried this rom out and it's great. Nice work, Buck. Especially love the coverage hack!

One thing I noticed...you said the PR speed was fixed to actual, but I still see value 82 @ 2908B, not 87. (Yeah, I'm starting to know what I'm talking about 8) )

• 2 weeks later...
buck whats your defense strategy

Just my two cents. I was having trouble on defense on his roms until I started sitting back with defensive backs to stop the run and main pass threat. He has jacked up the qb pass release so quickly that you can barely get a sack for yourself anymore, even on play action when you recognize the play. I personally feel since these are trick plays if you gamble on keying on the qb you should be rewarded with a sack and appropriately burned by the run if you guess wrong instead of the qb firing the ball out of his fake motion... but yeah, try laying back and limiting damage. Or you can bump free a d-lineman using a fast lb and run back into coverage while he gets pressure.

Of course this is all assuming you meant man vs juiced cpu on buck's roms....

buck whats your defense strategy

don't have a problem w/ stopping the run: just alternate between run-play selections (when on defense) as often as needed - incl., sometimes even when COM's in 3rd-&-long situations (as COM will often select run-plays, even then, too), since that helps to keep from being totally bowled-over (or past) when least-expected - &, look to force the ball-carrier to the sidelines (even if it means giving-up 1st downs/ big gains) whenever too difficult to get him into grappling-position otherwise, as this will make it easier to dive-tackle him down (usually from head-on).

( :) Also; rotate defenders, per defensive-stand... this keeps the game even more interesting/ challenging!!... :D )

Been playing a full season with this, 12/22-ROM, using both the Bengals & Saints, from start to finish (w/ only 5-min. qtrs./ No re-sets):

after leading both teams to the Big Show (during the same season), i'm about to use the Bengals (partly since they figure to be a better challenge) toward the title, now... Entered the playoffs w/ a 1st-round bye for each; going a league-best 14-2 w/ the Saints, & 11-5 w/ Cincy... Won both playoff games in OT using NO - against Min., 27-21, then Phil. 23-17 - & beat Tenn., 42-28, followed by SD 28-24 as 'nati.

:D Reggie Bush had a total of 5 PRs for TDs over the course of the whole season (+ 2-more by Devery Henderson); incl. a 99-yarder against the Vikez in the div. playoffs!!! NO finished the reg. season w/ 76 TDs, for a league-best total of 564 pts.. And, 5 different Saints had a reg. season INT for a TD (incl. all DBs, + Vilma at ILB)

:) Cincy's Leon Hall (CB) had 2 reg. seas. INTs for TDs (was 3rd overall w/ 150 return-yds.), & Andre Caldwell (WR) returned 2 KR & 1 PR for TDs (while compiling over 2,100 all-purpose yds.)

**For me, i'd have to say what i like most about this ROM is the frequency of INTs/ returns-ability...

thanks, buck (et al): i love this game!!**

... ok, just-finished the Championship w/ the Bengals: won 27-14, over the Saints.

Carson Palmer was injured the entire game, & Cedric Benson got injured mid-way thru the 2nd qtr.: Bernard Scott was a Horse!! (J.T. O'Sullivan was no worse!... +, Shayne Graham kicked a 64-yd. FG! 8O:lol: )

Side-note: thought i'd "treat myself" - for having won-it-all, w/ Cincy (using 5-min. qtrs.) - playing 8-min. qtrs. in the pro-bowl, w/ the AFC. After organizing both teams (according to best-stats. from the reg. season), Winning - final score; 68-52 - was due mostly to Champ Bailey taking all-3 of his (D. Brees) INTs to-tha-house!!! (... incl., 2 in the 1st qtr., & 1 to end the game :!::D )

... ran a few conf. title sims, w/ this latest up-date - before the actual games commenced - loading each team w/ their most-likely starters/play-makers, & adjusting some of their run-plays, accordingly (given R. Bush's, & Shonn Greene's relative frequency of run attempts, from their previous 2010 playoff games played). Ran COM vs. COM in pre-season mode (5-Min. qtrs.), where all phys. conditions started as "average" (since i hadn't begun a season, yet)...

:lol: Jets won 2x in-a-row, &

:D Saints won 2x in-a-row...

** 1/29/10-Postlude: Saints beat the Colts in sim-mode, 2x X 2-ways (differing by Shockey or D. Thomas at TE) in-a-row.

Go Saints!!!...

(Colts, you bore me!! :) )

New update "sUPER bOWL" - see 1st post

altered some ratings

and adjusted two pass plays.

also fixed 'vanilla' problem - thanks to TecmoRevolution2004 for finding fault.

[tweaked Pass 1 - 2TE PA - made WR2 go on a fly - this play is actually usable now :wink:

tweaked Pass 3 - 1B PA (the one with RB faking the dive and flying up the middle) made WR2 do a curl (it's a more usable play now)]