Buck's TSB 09-10 ROM (new plays!) EOS UL Feb 27

buck

Hi Buck,

I downloaded your new version (XX) and tested it out over the last several days. I autoskipped through Week 17 and played several playoff games with different teams. I really think you optimized the level of play on this one. My comments:

1) CPU difficulty is about right. You have to fight to win most games; the CPU rarely made it easy for me.

2) I can run and stop the run, reasonably well. In the old version, running was impossible and opponents often got 150+ yards on me.

3) The upshot: for the first time ever, I have played defensive games on TSB. This means punts, running out the clock, scoreless quarters, etc.

4) Even so, every game is still unique: I won one game 13-10, and another 44-38 (in OT).

5) These new dynamics have let me to prefer games with 6-minute quarters. You can run 30-40 plays a game, but the CPU difficulty is good enough to prevent unrealistic numbers (at least in the playoffs).

6) Also, with 6-minute quarters, you have time to come back from deficits of 14 points or more, if your defense is playing reasonably well.

All in all, this is the best TSB I have ever played. Congrats on a great job well done!

PS – you should consider the Seahawks neon green uniforms in your next updates 

PPS – what is the weather option about? I have never seen rain or such.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PPS – what is the weather option about? I have never seen rain or such.

It's a place holder for functionality yet unlocked. Disregard.

This man is alert! More alert than me. Thanks for fielding the question, sir.

I downloaded your new version (XX) and tested it out over the last several days. I autoskipped through Week 17 and played several playoff games with different teams. I really think you optimized the level of play on this one. My comments:

I'm glad you've enjoyed it.

I will continue to tweak rosters/uniforms/ratings/team-sims for another week or so (see how NFL teams are shaping up - basically draw conclusions and make predictions through ratings), then it's gotta be done.

I will throw the neon seahawks jerseys on!

Thanks

- smoothed out the cpu juice a bit

What do you mean by this? I went 3-0 to start and when I faced Dallas, the computer was super juiced. Felix Jones had 3 rushes for 156 yards. Miraculously, I was able to stay in the game and when Dallas went to kick the game-winning FG. I blocked it, but Jason Witten picked it up and literally flew into the endzone in less than a second. I like a challenge, but if the COM gets past 4 yards from the line of scrimmage, they're in the endzone.

- smoothed out the cpu juice a bit

What do you mean by this? I went 3-0 to start and when I faced Dallas, the computer was super juiced. Felix Jones had 3 rushes for 156 yards. Miraculously, I was able to stay in the game and when Dallas went to kick the game-winning FG. I blocked it, but Jason Witten picked it up and literally flew into the endzone in less than a second. I like a challenge, but if the COM gets past 4 yards from the line of scrimmage, they're in the endzone.

Well, previously you were talking about COM defense being too tough...

I don't know how to make COM pick the "right" plays, throw to the open WR (although I did design COM to throw JJs on a couple of passes :) ), or make the best cut...but you have to do something to make them move the ball when they get the chance -> speed.

There's only so much you can do to make COM "competitive". Anyways, I don't think it's that hard to play defense against COM on this rom. I think it's too easy. ;)

Besides, do you really think you should be able to go undefeated (with any team on the game) - without getting lucky? What's the fun in that? Should you be able to win the super bowl with STL without playing perfect and getting lucky? I don't think so.

I don't know how to make COM pick the "right" plays, throw to the open WR (although I did design COM to throw JJs on a couple of passes ;) ), or make the best cut...but you have to do something to make them move the ball when they get the chance -> speed.

There's only so much you can do to make COM "competitive". Anyways, I don't think it's that hard to play defense against COM on this rom. I think it's too easy. :)

Besides, do you really think you should be able to go undefeated (with any team on the game) - without getting lucky? What's the fun in that? Should you be able to win the super bowl with STL without playing perfect and getting lucky? I don't think so.

This rom is definitely harder than Suprmnxxx's 2K10 rom. Every single game is a challenge ... no easy ones, it's as if you're playing in the Super Bowl every game. The HP Hack does make things more interesting and challenging. Started a season with the 09 Bears. So far, I'm 7-1 but each victory, I literally had to fight for it. Wow is all I got to say. I like the juice. Great job so far Buck! :cry:

Question- I've played this a bit and I'm a bit frustrated that Orton seems to miss receivers A LOT,

is this a function of how your rom works overall (i.e. all QB's aren't completing that many passes compared to other roms) OR

does Orton just suck in your rom?

Either way I'm loving the new plays...how hard is that to do??

Question- I've played this a bit and I'm a bit frustrated that Orton seems to miss receivers A LOT,

is this a function of how your rom works overall (i.e. all QB's aren't completing that many passes compared to other roms) OR

I don't know.

Either way I'm loving the new plays...how hard is that to do??

Yeah, Orton s**ks! That's why da Bears got rid of him ... :)

Yeah, passing isn't an issue and I think the INTs have been fair on this new release. I don't find pass defense an issue and I actually find that the COM QB makes really good decisions for some reason. I am not sure, but it seems that you may have upped how quick the QB gets rid of the ball, which has seemed to help make pass defense a little more challenging, albeit realistic and manageable. My main problems have been running the ball (then again, I have Denver, though I must say it's not too bad now) and stopping the run. Maybe I haven't sniffed out the new plays well enough, but if my defender falls (which usually happens on the HP Hack one), it has been off to the races for the COM's RB, regardless of MS.

The KRs are still the same. In fact, that's been the only way I've been able to stay in some games. I had 4 or 5 KR TDs in the first 3 games. Now, if it gets harder as the season progresses, I suppose that's cool, but I'm assuming COM abilities were leveled throughout the season.

I haven't gone undefeated, nor do I want to. I really like that about the rom, i.e.- the challenge. I guess I was wondering if it was possible not to make the COM less "all or nothing" with regard to scoring. There has to be a way to make the COM's running (not passing) more consistent. I think the passing is near perfect for the COM.

fatcheerleader - I will post a version with the original, stupid-ass playbooks (no coverage hack, though)...have fun.

Buck, any way you can squeeze this in sometime? Thanks in advance - love your game.

I did one the day after you asked, but when I updated the rom later, I took that version down (because I thought you already got it). I'll make another one.

My main problems have been running the ball (then again, I have Denver, though I must say it's not too bad now) and stopping the run. Maybe I haven't sniffed out the new plays well enough, but if my defender falls (which usually happens on the HP Hack one), it has been off to the races for the COM's RB, regardless of MS.

The KRs are still the same. In fact, that's been the only way I've been able to stay in some games. I had 4 or 5 KR TDs in the first 3 games. Now, if it gets harder as the season progresses, I suppose that's cool, but I'm assuming COM abilities were leveled throughout the season.

I think I am going to have to concur with Bad Moon Rison... I played several games in the XX Hack with the Falcons, Chargers and Packers, and was able to control the run, but it wasn't easy. I've since started playing the Saints, and controlling the run is turning out impossible, even when I select running plays.

The main problem is my control guy usually gets blocked out by an OL or FB. Even when I get to the RB, I can't hold him before a CPU blocker knocks my guy out. And my other 10 defensive players are getting held at the same time. The end result is more often than not a TD for the other team. Buck, did you make any changes between XX hack and XXX hack that would have facilitated the CPU running? (Assuming not, any ideas how to address this?

I’d also agree that KRs are easy – but I have a simple solution: don’t try really hard. :)

I think I am going to have to concur with Bad Moon Rison... I played several games in the XX Hack with the Falcons, Chargers and Packers, and was able to control the run, but it wasn't easy. I've since started playing the Saints, and controlling the run is turning out impossible, even when I select running plays.

The main problem is my control guy usually gets blocked out by an OL or FB. Even when I get to the RB, I can't hold him before a CPU blocker knocks my guy out. And my other 10 defensive players are getting held at the same time. The end result is more often than not a TD for the other team. Buck, did you make any changes between XX hack and XXX hack that would have facilitated the CPU running? (Assuming not, any ideas how to address this?

I’d also agree that KRs are easy – but I have a simple solution: don’t try really hard. :)

This is designed to be tough when playing COM. You have to tap buttons quickly, and you have to be on point every play.

I believe I upped the initial COM offensive speed earlier in the season.

Again, I have little/no problem containing COM running game (even with POS defenses), so it's hard for me to understand how you guys are getting shredded. You must not be picking the right defender for the right plays ;)

The KR hack is for MAN v MAN play - I've always known that it's easy to get long returns on COM (sometimes). My solution is to sub in the slowest guy for KR.

btw, saints def = vilma (and sharper sometimes)...but I'm sure you already knew that.

original, stupid-ass playbooks

Buck, any way you can squeeze this in sometime? Thanks in advance - love your game.

I did one the day after you asked, but when I updated the rom later, I took that version down (because I thought you already got it). I'll make another one.

Dude, I'm sorry, I missed it. I'm assuming you will attach it in the first thread of this post? I'd say why not just leave it up permanently with your other versions for the purists that like the original playbook. Thanks again.

By the way, I had a group of guys over the other night and we played your rom. We are not good at the game but love it. One friend lost to the Skins (in a man game) three times and then decided he'd play the cpu to get a win. Portis killed him with 4 runs over 40 yards for 4 scores. Yes, we busted his nuts sideways.

Wow ,definitely challenging. I tried playing as the lions and lost 14-74 in week 2 to the vikings (6 min. qtr) It felt just like the playing the real lions. I had 1.5 seconds to pass and the defense was a complete sieve. Even after I injured peterson.

ok, even though there is an updated rom, I played 6 games (all I have time for right now) with NO saints on vXXX.

1. only used Vilma

2. only picked pass plays on defense

3. 5 min quarters

result 6-0

defensive stats:

30-0 det
12-47 rushing

21-14 phi
3-91 rushing (1 td)

42-14 buf
9-103 rushing (1 td)

34-7 nyj
9-61 rushing (1 td)

35-28 nyg
10-283 rushing (4 td)

38-14 mia
14-168 rushing (2 td)

so, definitely by 5-0 I should of started picking Runs (but I didn't for the sake of it). I had a little trouble stopping NYG Bradshaw dives.

and obviously, COM ypc is high...but how else are they gonna score ??? Think about it.

btw, Brees: 26td-4int, 1897 yds, 58.8%, 12 avg

just a cosmetic error but Rey Maualuga, Bengals, should be black.

wtf is that supposed to mean?

you're telling me this guy is "black"?

By Tecmo standards. It's not like there's a whole array of nationalities to choose from and he's certainty darker than generic Tecmo White.

post-10101-13413725467483_thumb.png

just a cosmetic error but Rey Maualuga, Bengals, should be black.

wtf is that supposed to mean?

you're telling me this guy is "black"?

By Tecmo standards. It's not like there's a whole array of nationalities to choose from and he's certainty darker than generic Tecmo White.

I will err on the side of on-the-field contrast when possible.