Testing out the late season coverage hack (SNES)

TecmoTurd

I took MRNFL's SNES ROM and applied the following patches:

Grapple hack (CPU gets 7 presses + HP adjustment)

Standard juice (undefeated in the super bowl style)

The late season coverage hack (31% low coverage, 69% high coverage)

I think the 31/69 numbers work well in my testing thus far, but I'm wondering if some of you could play the ROM and give me your feedback. It's always good to get some discussion going on these things...

I felt in my testing that it made games tough, but winnable. Plus, the grapple hack makes it even more difficult cause there's no escaping big LBs with a QB, and your RB has to get fancy with his footwork to evade defenders. With a 50MS RB it was very tough to break the 75 yard rushing mark...now, of course, you could just throw snackpacks and JJs all day, but I played it like I would have played a MAN opponent, and I think you should too.

Rosters are credited to MRNFL, of course, file is attached below.

MRNFL2009 - Difficult CPU.zip

What does that mean? You play another person using whatever tactics give you the best chance of winning.

...now, of course, you could just throw snackpacks and JJs all day, but I played it like I would have played a MAN opponent, and I think you should too.

[attachment=0]MRNFL2009 - Difficult CPU.zip[/attachment]

Yeah, you could use CCs and JJs, but my goal in this is to find a game where I can play vs. the CPU and not have to rely on that sort of thing all the time. I want the running game tested too... I'd like to see a balance of passing and running. If your guys are covered a lot and you pick pass, sure, you're gonna have to heave it up or run with the QB. My ultimate goal is to get other people's opinion on how well the game plays.

Yeah, you could use CCs and JJs, but my goal in this is to find a game where I can play vs. the CPU and not have to rely on that sort of thing all the time.

JJ = jumping jackass, jj birden, WRs jumping to make catch on a called play

CC = ?

A man opponent can get in front of a jj route and kind of knows what's coming. The cpu doesn't do any of that, hence he's not just throwing up free jjs.

What does that mean? You play another person using whatever tactics give you the best chance of winning.

...now, of course, you could just throw snackpacks and JJs all day, but I played it like I would have played a MAN opponent, and I think you should too.

[attachment=0]MRNFL2009 - Difficult CPU.zip[/attachment]

• 2 months later...

Might be nice to have a few more. Not sure how you would get more than a few more on the screen without making the play graphics look like shit.

TECMO 3 definitely didn't implement it right by making you have to go through another screen to get to the different playbooks. It slowed the game down and required you to remember which plays you put in which book.

aaaah I see that now, I was used to the nes and TSIII

I wonder if there would be a way to add more plays to the playbook past the standard 8...

Agreed, which is why TSB3 did it that way...bigger playbook, but same chance to read the opponent's play. I am really not into modifying the game so much that it loses the original feel. Extra playbooks is moving towards the more complex side, and I like the quick arcade feel of 8 plays...

Sorry I think you misunderstood me....

I actually love the standard 8 showing, what I was thinking was it would be cool if you had more then 8 plays available in each slot.

IE right now in the Up + A running slot you have the option of choosing 1 of 8 plays to use in that spot. What would be interesting is if that expanded to say 16 so you could add in additional options for each position. It would allow for more complicated playbook groups.

If I understand the way that the playbook code works each play is one byte and the values 8-15 aren't used. If you manually set a playbook value to something greater then 7 it just takes the next play available and uses it. To me that sounds like the playbook uses a pointer/offset system, where each play is StartPosition + Offset. What might be possible is if we use the original playbook positions for the running plays and use a blank section of space for the new plays it should be possible to expand the possible playbook.

Little bit of feedback:

You took out my Raiders! :lol: Ok they suck in 2009 but still :lol:

The grapple hack seemed to be a bit much. I ran with Brandon Jacobs (81 HP) and was still getting out grappled by washingtons LBs 85% of the time, will have to mess with it more to get a good idea about everything else.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 years later...

I LOVE THIS VERSION OF THE GAME!! Literally been playing this version for about 10 years now.  Sorry I didn't comment on my affection for it back then when this thread started.

I know next to nothing about hacking / editing ROMs.  Could anyone tell me how to apply those 3 patches to the original SNES TSB1 version of the game?

--JUICED

--COVERAGE HACK

--GRAPPLE HACK

There seems to be overwhelming amounts of info on the NES version and how to modify it.  It's hard to find info on applying these edits to the SNES version, especially for me who knows very little. 

I'd like to play with the original rosters and players but with these very challenging conditions.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!  THANKS!!

• 2 years later...

On the off chance that the mighty author stops by here, I'd like to know this too. If I could get these three hacks plus J Stout's no coverage hack, I'd make a whole series of yearly roms for this game. At the moment, though, it's not worth the effort given the state of the computer opposition.

Cheers!