Something I have never seen before....leads to questions.

So, it's week 3 and I'm the Steelers playing the Patriots. I call a pass play that sends Eric Green the tight End up top to go deep. So, I call the play, snap the ball, the 2nd quarter ends, so Brister is just going to chuck the ball up there hoping for a JJ TD to end the half....

....The bomb goes downfield and at about the 20, you can see that it's going to over throw Eric Green...he then jumps in the hair just as I was hoping, and it cuts to that cut screen where the WR jumps up to grab just like normal, except, it shows the bounce off the hands screen and the ball keeps flying after being deflected from Eric Green and keeps flying to its intended X on the screen and gets intercepted by a Patriot defender waiting at the X.

This is the first time that I can remember where a ball was tipped and then intercepted by a defender. Many times, the ball gets batted into the air, but nobody can intercept it.

Is there a way to change that? Is there a way to change, that if the ball gets batted in the air, that it can be intercepted or caught later in the same play?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you guys know any way to make the batted balls catchable or interceptable?

I'm very interested in this concept. I thought I saw a defender catch a tipped ball once, but chalked it up to my smoking too much of the ganj. If this is actually possible, then how do we raise the percentage of possibility? Very, very interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe it can only be intercepted after being tipped on the cut screen. The ball is not actually tipped in the regular game screen. I think the cut screens pop up almost randomly and they do not always accurately reflect what is happening on the field.

When a ball is tipped on the regular field Tecmo whistles the play dead. This is clearly a programming mistake but I don't think anything can be done about it.

When I first read this thread, I had never experienced this quirk. Then, a few nights ago, I was watching the CPU play itself and it happened. I rewound the emulator over and over again to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. Sure enough, it was a tipped pass that was caught (by the intended receiver).

One thing, though. There was a cut-scene showing a tipped pass, but when the game went back to the field, the pass that was caught was a wobbler. I don't remember if the receiver caught it flat-footed or JJ'd it, though. Either way, I believe that it is programmed to happen, but, obviously, infrequently. Then again, it could be some type of glitch. We may never know...

Anyhoo, maybe someone will figure out this mystery and find a way to make it more common. I just think it was cool that I saw it happen after recently reading this thread. I have always wanted to see a tecmo player catch a tipped pass and I am happy to corroborate this finding.

I just hope I don't have to go another 20 years to see it happen again!

When I first read this thread, I had never experienced this quirk.

I've never seen it on TSB for the NES.

I rewound the emulator over and over again to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing.

I need to learn how to do this.

Then, a few nights ago, I was watching the CPU play itself

:D:):D I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this! :):lol::lol:

I use Nestopia, and there's a function that allows you to rewind. I have an XBOX-style controller and I map the rewind function to the right-hand trigger. Just search around in the controller-mapping section of Nestopia and you'll run across it. If you don't use Nestopia, then I suggest you download it immediately.

You can rewind CPU games without affecting the play results, but rewinding MAN-controlled games will allow "do overs", which is, of course, cheating. However, for hacking purposes, rewinding plays (CPU or MAN) over and over allows you to observe results much in the same way as coaches do when reviewing game film (CPU) or conducting practices (MAN).

As far as watching a video game play itself, I've always done that. When I was in college, I used to study while I had Madden and NHL in demo mode (games would loop over and over without any input from me). I used to watch Tecmo games while I worked out. I enjoy seeing if the computer can put on an entertaining show by itself. I'll watch just about any video game play itself.

Several years ago, an old TSB buddy of mine and I discussed setting up spreads and betting on Tecmo CPU-controlled games. We never did, but maybe someday.

I use Nestopia, and there's a function that allows you to rewind. Just search around in the controller-mapping section of Nestopia and you'll run across it.

Thank You! I wish there was a page somewhere that had a full set of instructions on Nestopia and all it's functions.

As far as watching a video game play itself, I've always done that. When I was in college, I used to study while I had Madden and NHL in demo mode (games would loop over and over without any input from me). I used to watch Tecmo games while I worked out. I enjoy seeing if the computer can put on an entertaining show by itself. I'll watch just about any video game play itself.

We may have been separated at birth as I did/do the same things. Well, except "work out". And, so you know, you're the evil twin since you're a Bama fan. :D

Several years ago, an old TSB buddy of mine and I discussed setting up spreads and betting on Tecmo CPU-controlled games. We never did, but maybe someday.

We do it all the time. Two buddies of mine, degenerates we all are, bet on everything! TSB, NHL, Madden, NCAA, NBA, FIFA, you name it we've bet on CPU-CPU games. We've even bet on CPU sims in Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and TimeSplitters as to which would have the most kills. Like I said, degenerates. Lately, we were so pissed when we discovered the new UFC game didn't allow CPU vs CPU fights which eliminated a great betting opportunity.

Sorry if I've hijacked this thread. Although, people betting on sims killing each other might be "something you've never seen before"!?!

Thank You! I wish there was a page somewhere that had a full set of instructions on Nestopia and all it's functions.

http://www.tecmo.us/arena/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=24886

Also, on the topic of COM vs COM games, we have started drafting for a TSB Fantasy Football League. Post in the forum if you are interested and I'll start a waiting list: http://www.tecmo.us/arena/viewforum.php?f=868