TSBIII - One Player Rom - Any Interest???

bigdee

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in quite some time. I've always been interested in making a one player MAN TSBIII where the game is actually fun and challenging to play. I have a rom that I've been working on(on and off over the years) and believe it is a decent experience against the pitiful computer. However, its not perfect and certain rules must be followed. I've been able to minimize the rules since my last 1 player rom post, but audibles and other rules still must be used to make the game fun and challenging.

I'd just like to know if there is an interest for playing TSBIII in this fashion. If so I'll put some finishing touches on the rom (with some help from am rush) and post it with the rules.

bigdee

Dude,

Glad to hear you're still plugging away. I'm on the brink of a couple more major tweaks to my rom, the biggest being 3rd-down offensive substitions for the COM player customized to every individual team. It also has 4th qtr substitutions where the COM player pulls all the starters in a blowout. The injury checks for these hacks have been the biggest pain in the ass, but I should be done in the next few weeks.

Let me know what else you're looking for as far as hacks. I'll try to help if I can.

amrush

amrush,

Thanks for all the work you put into my rom previously. unfortunately i think it was a bit to much hacking as the game would randomly freeze and I could not get the auto-skip to work. I going to send you another 'clean copy' with alot less hacks for you to put in for me. Thanks again for all your work, I wish I had your hacking skills. By the way, how is it that you were able to get the computer to kick more accurate field goals?? I have to push the accuracy to 100% for all kickers to compensate for the computers inefficiency towards kicking field goals.

Some of the rules are as follows:

DEFENSE:

1. You can only bring in the pressure on opposing quarterbacks on 3rd down. (allows the computer to move the ball better and gives your team a reasonable amount of sacks each season)

THATS THE ONLY RULE ON DEFENSE!!

Defensive Strategy: Due to the rule above you will be choosing either a safety or cornerback on most downs. My rom puts more emphasis on tackling and less emphasis on speed with safeties. A safety is good to choose if the opposing team has a good running back as he can help minimize rushing gains. Cornerbacks are the opposite(more speed less tackling). They are good to chose to better defend a great reciever like Terrell Owens.

OFFENSE: Unfortunately, there are more rules on offense.

1. There are only certain plays to use when passing. I've narrowed them down to 4 plays (you use the same on both playbooks). The reason is that you don't want to streak down the field for a TD every pass play. The pass plays I put in are mostly short routes where the same reciever is not always open. You can use any running play you want. Runners have different abilities and you will need a good running back to amass 100 yards a game. I will post the passing plays at a later time.

2. Use of audibles: Once you reach the 50 yard line offensively, you must take note of what the defense is doing. If they line up in a goaline or normal formation, you must run. If you did not pick a running play, then you have to audible into a running play. If the defense lines up in a nickel or dime formation, then you must pass using audibles if necessary. This makes it harder to score and harder to get alot of TD Passes. All these rules keep the season stats in line with the computers.

To make things more fun you can use a technique called 'goosing'

This is how goosing works. Say your at the 7 yard line about to score. you really want to pass but the defense is in normal formation. You can hit the audible button and wait a second or two and see if the defense is 'goosed' into changing thier formation into a nickel or dime. If they do, you can either cancel the audible if you originally picked a passing play or audible into a passing play. You can take this one step further and gamble. you can finish the audible and choose the passing play. Sometimes when you finalize and audible the defense will be 'goosed' into changing formations. If they change into a passing defense (nickel or dime) you can play as usual and try to throw the TD Pass. HOWEVER, if you are unable to goose the defense into the proper formation you must take your player as close to the line of scrimmage and wait to be tackled. Do not dive as this takes away any fumble opportunity for the defense. and try not to lose or gain yardage as that may affect what the defense will choose for the next play. This may seem like alot, but after try it a few times, its not a big deal and keeps the game fun. Of course this works the same for running plays.

3. Only attempt field goals if you are at the 30 yard line or closer. This gives you 20 yards to push the ball using audibles (which is more challenging) and eliminates all of these long field goals by a MAN player.

ANY TIME RULES:

1. Try not to run back fumble recoveries. It is fairly easy for the offensive lineman and some defensive players to run in and score with MAN control. Just dive if you recover a fumble and actually that is what happens most of the time in real football. You can run back interceptions, thats always fun and not easy to score with this rom.

2. There are annoying kicking rules that I hope amrush can fix. (blocked punts, kicks, field position)

3. Be sure to set the clock for 15 minute quarters......don't worry the clock speed is fast and the game takes as long as a regular game using 6-7 min quarters, and it will be very hard to amass more than 40 points on your best day..

This rom plays SLOW, but give it a chance and you will see that it is fun to play the computer. I've been through 8 seasons and made the ployoffs 7 of them, cliched division 3 times, went to the Super bowl twice, and won the Super bowl once.

I'll post more when I get the time and I'll post the rom when its finished.

are you saying you changed the reload value for seconds on the timer? what address? I tried finding it a few years back and gave up. I found it for NES (x222A5); where is it on SNES?

http://www.tecmobowl.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10476&sid=52819e1eaea184dde8cda81e3a75f8a1

2nd post, first hex address. This is for TSB3, not SNES1 (your post wasn't specific).

amrush

amrush,

Thanks for all the work you put into my rom previously. unfortunately i think it was a bit to much hacking as the game would randomly freeze and I could not get the auto-skip to work. I going to send you another 'clean copy' with alot less hacks for you to put in for me. Thanks again for all your work, I wish I had your hacking skills. By the way, how is it that you were able to get the computer to kick more accurate field goals?? I have to push the accuracy to 100% for all kickers to compensate for the computers inefficiency towards kicking field goals.

Some of the rules are as follows:

DEFENSE:

1. You can only bring in the pressure on opposing quarterbacks on 3rd down. (allows the computer to move the ball better and gives your team a reasonable amount of sacks each season)

THATS THE ONLY RULE ON DEFENSE!!

Defensive Strategy: Due to the rule above you will be choosing either a safety or cornerback on most downs. My rom puts more emphasis on tackling and less emphasis on speed with safeties. A safety is good to choose if the opposing team has a good running back as he can help minimize rushing gains. Cornerbacks are the opposite(more speed less tackling). They are good to chose to better defend a great reciever like Terrell Owens.

OFFENSE: Unfortunately, there are more rules on offense.

1. There are only certain plays to use when passing. I've narrowed them down to 4 plays (you use the same on both playbooks). The reason is that you don't want to streak down the field for a TD every pass play. The pass plays I put in are mostly short routes where the same reciever is not always open. You can use any running play you want. Runners have different abilities and you will need a good running back to amass 100 yards a game. I will post the passing plays at a later time.

2. Use of audibles: Once you reach the 50 yard line offensively, you must take note of what the defense is doing. If they line up in a goaline or normal formation, you must run. If you did not pick a running play, then you have to audible into a running play. If the defense lines up in a nickel or dime formation, then you must pass using audibles if necessary. This makes it harder to score and harder to get alot of TD Passes. All these rules keep the season stats in line with the computers.

To make things more fun you can use a technique called 'goosing'

This is how goosing works. Say your at the 7 yard line about to score. you really want to pass but the defense is in normal formation. You can hit the audible button and wait a second or two and see if the defense is 'goosed' into changing thier formation into a nickel or dime. If they do, you can either cancel the audible if you originally picked a passing play or audible into a passing play. You can take this one step further and gamble. you can finish the audible and choose the passing play. Sometimes when you finalize and audible the defense will be 'goosed' into changing formations. If they change into a passing defense (nickel or dime) you can play as usual and try to throw the TD Pass. HOWEVER, if you are unable to goose the defense into the proper formation you must take your player as close to the line of scrimmage and wait to be tackled. Do not dive as this takes away any fumble opportunity for the defense. and try not to lose or gain yardage as that may affect what the defense will choose for the next play. This may seem like alot, but after try it a few times, its not a big deal and keeps the game fun. Of course this works the same for running plays.

3. Only attempt field goals if you are at the 30 yard line or closer. This gives you 20 yards to push the ball using audibles (which is more challenging) and eliminates all of these long field goals by a MAN player.

ANY TIME RULES:

1. Try not to run back fumble recoveries. It is fairly easy for the offensive lineman and some defensive players to run in and score with MAN control. Just dive if you recover a fumble and actually that is what happens most of the time in real football. You can run back interceptions, thats always fun and not easy to score with this rom.

2. There are annoying kicking rules that I hope amrush can fix. (blocked punts, kicks, field position)

3. Be sure to set the clock for 15 minute quarters......don't worry the clock speed is fast and the game takes as long as a regular game using 6-7 min quarters, and it will be very hard to amass more than 40 points on your best day..

This rom plays SLOW, but give it a chance and you will see that it is fun to play the computer. I've been through 8 seasons and made the ployoffs 7 of them, cliched division 3 times, went to the Super bowl twice, and won the Super bowl once.

I'll post more when I get the time and I'll post the rom when its finished.

Why not just COA the game!!! If you want more of a challenge?

MAN v.s the COM has always been easy, no matter what rules you try to make for yourself. (unless it's Juiced)

In any Tecmo game, it's either MAN v.s. MAN, or COA v.s. COA, or COA v.s. COM. That's it! :lol:

Agreed, just coach the game. Wish more of the current football games would use that(NCAA,Madden). This mode was built for football fans. Nothing wrong with gamers being good at the game, but football fans hate the way gamers exploit the CPU with "glitches". Coach mode allows for a more chess like game.

I agree, being from a big family, coa mode is the great equalizer. Having younger brothers who didn't work and played all day, always made them find those money plays that my computer guys wouldn't cover. The playstation 1 was the last Madden game to have a coa mode I believe. Nothing better than marching down the field cause of the great playcalling. Or having my computer RB break an 80 yard run and see your lil bro sit by helplessly wanting to break his controller. LOL. Those were the days. I watch people play Madden now, just calling the same 3 plays and I'm like, this isn't football. One more reason why I like TSB. It's video gaming at its best. No unstoppable juke move, no WR always open over the middle, no cheat codes, just You VS. Me. Let's Play!! Hook 'Em!! Whatcha now 'bout them Texas Boyz?!

I agree, being from a big family, coa mode is the great equalizer. Having younger brothers who didn't work and played all day, always made them find those money plays that my computer guys wouldn't cover. The playstation 1 was the last Madden game to have a coa mode I believe.

The ps2 versions of madden still have COA mode. I bought this years just for that purpose to play on my ps3. It's still not tecmo though. :lol: