Graphic hack: Uniforms

Coach_Bama

Jeid1, yeah I use TSB Tool Supreme, but for the conference championship screen, you're still limited with the combinations in the same way as the on-field uniforms (i.e., the helmets and pants are locked together). I still need to use a tile editor to edit that screen (if possible). For the division champ and conference champ screens , white can't be used for jerseys if you want to see the number on their chests; I'm gonna see if I can reverse the numbers (just thought of that as I was typing this).

As for the cut-scenes, I spent all last night trying to make the edits that I described in a previous post. I can't make the changes through the hex addresses that I noted by using the palette trick using Nesticle. Basically, I couldn't find the hex address that changes the black outline and contour lines on the uniforms. The hex addresses that allow you to change the on-field and cut-scene uniform colors only allow for the two colors that correspond to the helmet, jersey, and pants. These addresses were posted by someone else, and I wouldn't have found them otherwise. I'll do a search and see if I can find some old info on this stuff. Before any of the editors were released, uniform changes had to be done in hex, so maybe there's some info related to what I need.

If anyone can figure out how to pinpoint what hex address changes the black outline on the cut-scenes, please post them and I will see if I can make the proper changes.

***After further thought, changing the black outline won't help; I don't know what I was thinking. :lol:

I checked out the division and conference champ screens in a tile editor. The changes can be made. Someday, I might do some slight alterations, such as switching the helmet and pants colors for each of the respective alternate uniform patches. I probably won't do anything more detailed, such as switching the color of the jersey numbers, as this requires extra work with an editor, and the editing would be specific to a particular ROM; I want the patches to be able to be applied universally, to any ROM. However, I may make a patch that is specific to the 28- and 32-team NFL ROMs. Maybe.

Changing the color of the numbers, so that some teams could be presented as wearing "away" jerseys, would allow more consistency with the patches, but would require the user to make changes in an editor, such as TSB Tool Supreme. The changes could only be witnessed while simulating a season, but may require multiple tries. This is a process that I'm not sure many are willing to partake, so I'll leave it be.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

The Miami Dolphins (using the patch that gives them white helmets, white jerseys, and aqua pants) could have their champ screens edited so that they could be seen wearing white jerseys, instead of gray jerseys. Normally, white can't be used, because a dark color needs to highlight the white numbers. Using a tile editor, the white numbers can be changed to one of the 2 jersey colors (each jersey uses a light and a dark shade). Then, using TSB Tool Supreme, the jersey number and the jersey itself can have colors assigned. The problem is this: all of the teams would need to be edited to "clean up" the jerseys, because the colors would be messed up. These changes would be specific to each ROM (non-NFL ROMs have different uniforms). Since TSB Tool Supreme wouldn't show you the results, as it isn't programmed with these changes in mind, you'd have to simulate seasons to see the results.

The end result is that you would have continuity between the on-field and cut-scene changes made by the patches, but many ROMs have different teams with different color combos, and this particular change would result in a lot of editing that the user would have to do, without the benefit of an editor that shows the changes in a gui.

In other words, this process puts too much of the onus on the user to make the necessary changes.

Well, I thought of a way to edit the cut-scenes to match up with the on-field graphics. In my first post in this thread, I talked about editing the player sprites using the skin color as a uniform color. This would be done by making long-sleeved jerseys with gloves, and a face guard. This would allow for three colors to be used for the uniforms (i.e., the Chargers could have a white helmet with a yellow stripe and a blue faceguard; blue jerseys with yellow or white gloves; white pants with a yellow stripe;)However, the players would lose their racial identities.

This would allow the cut-scenes to match up because the skin color is one of the colors used in these screens, and I could edit it in a way that would work.

Maybe someday.

• 4 months later...

Somebody else might have said this earlier in this post, but wouldn't the best way to fix this be done via a tile editor where you manually change which colors are where on the scenes. Of course the hard part is locating the bastards that make up the graphics of those scenes on the tile editors. That is why I think the tile editors need to have number locations (like the hex editors do) so that once we find parts of things we can right down where. A graphics editor similar to the one on nesticle would really help in this manner too.

Somebody else might have said this earlier in this post, but wouldn't the best way to fix this be done via a tile editor where you manually change which colors are where on the scenes. Of course the hard part is locating the bastards that make up the graphics of those scenes on the tile editors. That is why I think the tile editors need to have number locations (like the hex editors do) so that once we find parts of things we can right down where. A graphics editor similar to the one on nesticle would really help in this manner too.

I can switch the colors around (in a tile editor) for the conference championship cut-screens but not for the in-game cut-screens or intro screens. I've explained it all in this thread. Because of the way they are coded, the colors work differently for backgrounds and sprites. The conference championship cut-screen is the only one that works similar to the player sprites.

Experiment with the screens using a tile editor and you'll see what I mean. Maybe I'm missing something but I tried and failed to figure it out.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone considered creating a graphic hack to go back to the original uniforms? Is there a way to reverse this with Hex Editor? And, what about an Alternate 3 where the helmet, jersey, and pants could be three separate colors? I know it's a three color limit and one has to be the skin.

• 3 months later...
I made a couple of IPS files for alternate uniform combinations. These aren't the regular color changes anyone can make with any of the various editors. This is a graphic hack I made using Tile Layer Pro.

I'm ignorant about these things but I was wondering something. Can't another graphic hack be made using Tile Layer Pro again with the original uniform set up the same way you did these alt2 and alt3 hacks? The graphics from the traditional uniforms in the 32 team rom are already done so can't that be used easily? I'm guessing I'm wrong but it seems logical if that's the way you did it.

I have a rom I love but it's got the alt3 unis and I prefer the original and I want them back! No, I didn't create the rom and there was no saved rom before the hack was installed so there's no going back that way. :D

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...

The same color pants/jersey and different helmet is awesome.

Especially because the pants stripe is the color of the helmet.

It also looks even better on the real hardware as I am playing my college roms on an Everdrive.

Tecmo never looked better.

On a side note I am not a fan of the jersey/helmet being the same with different pants.

Anyway, thanks for this Coach Bama