ball shadow

Coach_Bama

After some experimenting, I found out something.

The ball and it's shadow correspond with the same palette values as the skin colors of the players (I think I'm saying that right). In other words, the ball is the same color as the white guys and the shadow is the same color as the black guys. If you change the skin color of the black guys to the same color of the field, the shadow is taken away-- but you have invisible black guys.

Boooooo.

In Tile Layer Pro, you can change the colors of the ball to correspond with the uniform colors of the team on the left side of the screen. However, the shadow will be the same color as the ball, so you have a mirror effect.

Boooooo.

I tried to use Nesticle's palette menu to locate the hex addresses of the ball and shadow, and that's how I figured this out. Was hoping I could just change a byte or two, but no... During gameplay, the palette values for the "sprite" bytes (the four, bottom palette values) found in Nesticle can't be found when doing a search in a hex editor. Calling up the pattern table shows that the bottom palette row corresponds to what you see in TLP, so that explains why you can't change those values in a hex editor (I think that's how it works).

While writing this post, I just realized that, in Tile Layer Pro, the palette color for the players' skin is the same as the ball... I sure went the long way around to figure all this out... Doh!

Still, there's gotta be a way to disable the shadow effect... I just don't have the programming skills to figure it out. The whole point of all this was to give each game a different colored ball (depending on the colors of the team on the left side of the screen). With stripes, like in college football, the ball looked pretty neat... but the mirror effect really ruins it.

• 1 month later...

were does this leave the hispanic players :lol:

are they considered black or white , I guess some can pass for white while others are of darker complextion but still dont qualify as a black figure? which brings me to my next question, is it possible to remake the faces of the players to resemble the NFL in the 21st century?

are they considered black or white , I guess some can pass for white while others are of darker complextion but still dont qualify as a black figure? which brings me to my next question, is it possible to remake the faces of the players to resemble the NFL in the 21st century?

I usually use "white" for Hispanic players.

It is possible to remake some of the faces, but a lot of the faces share certain tiles.

We gotta at least find a way to put dreads on guys. And more bald white guys.

My portrait BE is the closest I could get it to look like dreads. The problem is that the parallel corners near the temples of each portrait head is dedicated to blank space (or blue). Changing those palettes changes a lot. Bald white guys should be much, much easier.

Yeah it's just something bugging me since I assigned all those portraits on the 2007 rom. Seemed like I used that one long haired black guy portrait a lot, since it was the closest to dreads I could find. And the bald guy portrait looks retarded since his eyes are rolled :lol:

I usually use "white" for Hispanic players.

It is possible to remake some of the faces, but a lot of the faces share certain tiles.

so it is possible, I think the dreads idea is good sense a lot of players are sporting the locks these days , toning down those 80s flat tops would be a good place to start to, lol