Substitution Question...

bucs2nine

Is there a pattern for offensive player position substitutions after injury that the COM does?

example who subs in for who...is it set? Based on all players healthy and this is the first SUB that takes place for the following:

RB1 RB3

RB2 RB4

WR1 WR3

WR2 WR4

TE1 TE2

I guess it's common that RB 3 subs in for RB1, but does RB3 or 4 sub in for RB 2 if RB1 is still healthy?

And if WR1 is OK and WR2 gets hurt, does the COM sub in WR3 or WR4?

And I know TE2 goes in for TE1.

please inform me, thanks!

The CPU is told an order for each position to sub looking for the first healthy player:

NORMAL:

QB1 = QB2

RB1 = RB3, RB4, WR3, WR4, TE2, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, TE1

RB2 = RB3, RB4, WR3, WR4, TE2, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, TE1

WR1 = WR3, WR4, TE2, RB3, RB4, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, TE1

WR2 = WR3, WR4, TE2, RB3, RB4, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, TE1

TE1 = TE2, RB3, RB4, WR3, WR4, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, TE1

KR = RB3, RB4, WR3, WR4, TE2, WR1, WR2, TE1, RB1, RB2

PR = RB3, RB4, WR3, WR4, TE2, WR1, WR2, TE1, RB1, RB2

3-WIDE and R&S:

RB2 and WRs = WR4, TE2, RB3, RB4, WR3, RB1, RB2, WR1, WR2, TE1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 years later...

I'm going to look to see if I can find where these values are so we can change how the CPU substitutes (even though I'm sure most people don't care.) Unless someone already knows this info of course...

Edit: Looks like this info starts at x239A1. Now to hunt down how/if we can change which position chooses which sub pattern.

Edited by MajorLee

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

After some further testing, x239A1 is in fact the substitution information for simulation injuries ONLY. I tested this by making the TE the default sub for running backs, then skipping a few weeks. Sure enough, I had TEs in the running back position. However, when the games are not skipped, backup running backs were subbed in as normal, not tight ends. Which means somewhere out there in another location is the in-game substitution logic...

Strangely, in skip mode, 1-3-1 and R&S formations still treat the 3rd wide receiver as a running back and will sub in a running back if they are injured, but will correctly substitute a wide receiver in non-skip modes. I'm going to keep poking around to see where that logic comes from.

Edited by MajorLee
update info

• 4 years later...

Here is part of the sim substitution logic. At these locations, I saw comparisons to team number, similar to how the game figures out formations. (see this thread) https://tecmobowl.org/forums/topic/1709-changing-formations/

At x238CF is 07 (Houston)

At x238D2 is 0C (Sand Diego)

At x238D6 is 0E (Washington)

At x238DA is 11 (Phoenix)

At x238DE is 14 (Detroit)

At x238E2 is 1B (Falcons)

These checks make sure the WRs substitute in 3-Wide/4 WR order, during skip only. Changing x23902 to 0B will make the WR in the RB2 position substitute correctly during skip mode!