Formation Ideas?

buck

I'm looking for some suggestions on formations (2 or 3) to use in my next Time Machine rom playbooks (teams range from 33CHI to 07ARZ).

I have the following formations currently implemented ( * denotes a formation used in original TSB):

*R & S

*Shotgun

*Shotgun Trips

*Offset I

Inverted Offset I (with RB1 at tailback, RB2 and TE "up top")

Shotgun T-Form (two back shotgun w/ TE tight on "top")

Goalline (two TEs, WR as tight-flanker, RBs in a "mini-T")

Wildcat

Other ideas I have are:

Shotgun 5 WR (or some other type of "no back" set)

Trips (no shotgun)

Offset Onebackset (kinda like "Slot")

*Onebackset

*Pro T

*Two TE

With so many shotguns, I'm kinda looking for more run-type formations.

Any ideas - or formations you don't wanna see?

NFL Time-wise:

Single Wing (Beginning to 1952) *Dominate offense until passing became easier

Double Wing (1920s to 1931) *Only Duluth Eskimos and Chicago Cardinals

Short Punt (1931 to 1940s??) *Introduced by the New York Giants

Notre Dame Box (1930s to 1947) *Introduced by the Green Bay Packers

T (1930s to 1940s??) *Dominate offense due to the Chicago Bears

Slot T (1940s to 1960s??) *Dominate offense due to the Chicago Bears

One Back (Various looks) (1946 to Present) *Introduced by the Cleveland Browns

Split Backs (Originally Three-End Set) (1949 to Present) *Dominate Offense due to the Los Angeles Rams

I (1968 to Present) *Introduced by the Kansas City Chiefs

Shotgun (1959-1960, 1970s to Present) *Introduced by the San Francisco 49ers then Dallas Cowboys

H-Back (1981 to Present) *Introduced by the Washington Redskins

Run & Shoot (1980s to 1990s)

Trips / Bunch

Empty

Wildcat (2008 to present) *Introduced by the Miami Dolphins

This kinda relates to formations - anyone know anything about Spec Sanders? Was he a QB or RB out of a SingleWing? If you check the stats here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... a/1947.htm , you'll see that he had 200+ rush attempts and 170 pass attempts.

Spec Sanders was a "triple-threat" QB in the single wing. He took so much punishment though from his brilliant 1432 yard rushing year that his body was aching bad and suffered a knee injury the following year. The offseason surgery stopped him from playing in 1949 and he retired. He was asked to come back and moved to DB in 1950 and lead the league in INTs then retired.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm looking for some suggestions on formations (2 or 3) to use in my next Time Machine rom playbooks (teams range from 33CHI to 07ARZ). With so many shotguns, I'm kinda looking for more run-type formations. Any ideas - or formations you don't wanna see?

I like the Wishbone idea too. I'd also like to see the Maryland-I and Triple Option formations. I know this is more of an NFL game but some of love the NCAA versions too and would love that classic power running make it's overdue return.

Is running a triple option or just simply "The Option" a possibility on TSB? Can the QB decide, by MAN pressing a button, make a pitch? I'm thinking no. Doing a FB Dive, or quick pitch to the TB, or seeing both those close up and then making the decision to turn it up and QB Keep just has me giddy with excitement.

Better yet, don't make it, I'd never leave the house and I'm fat enough already. :D

Is running a triple option or just simply "The Option" a possibility on TSB? Can the QB decide, by MAN pressing a button, make a pitch? I'm thinking no. Doing a FB Dive, or quick pitch to the TB, or seeing both those close up and then making the decision to turn it up and QB Keep just has me giddy with excitement.

I might do a wishbone/college formations rom next year...I'm still working (slowly, now) on Time Machine 2.

I think that an option play could be done using a "pass" play/slot, but the QB would have to pitch the ball before he crosses the line of scrimmage.

The way I've done my Wildcat set (for Time Machine 2) is to have 3 different plays.

1. HB takes snap, fakes to RB2, and runs up

2. HB takes snap, gives to RB2

3. HB takes snap, fakes to RB2, runs up, either passes or continues running (like run 1)

Something similar could be done using a wishbone or whatever...

play 1: qb fake to fb - qb sweeps,

play 2: qb fake to fb - pitch to hb,

play 3: qb gives to fb

play 4: qb fake to fb, qb pulls up and passes

...basically the same play except who ends up with the ball.

A few months ago, I made a brief attempt at making a wishbone formation. I had to use WR 2 as the 3rd back in the backfield, which isn't very authentic. I haven't researched much on changing the personnel that's on the field (such as the run-and-shoot/pro-set/one-back/etc.), but there's probably a way to utilize two running backs and a fullback at the same; however, for substitution purposes, Tecmo doesn't differentiate between the fullback and tailback slots in the pro-set and offset-i (I haven't actually played in awhile, so I could be wrong), so some creativity in the roster settings may have to be used. Maybe using the one-back, putting the receiver in the tailback position, and the running backs in the wide receiver positions, but that would entail a lot of switching players around on the field. Maybe one of the Tecmo wizards here could whip up a wishbone set for us to use!

Also, when I made my wishbone (can't remember which set I used, but it was either the pro-set or offset-i), depending on which hashmark the ball was placed, the formation would look a little "off"; the spacing of the backs in the backfield would change. I've had this problem with other formations that I've tried to make, too.

Other than that, the play suggestions made by Buck are what I envisioned. There wouldn't really be a true option, but with play-action, you could simulate the "look" of an option.

On a somewhat similar note, my main interest in developing ROMs lies in the realm of college ball. My aspirations are to make many ROMs of different eras, with many different formations (among other things). The T-formation, various I-formations (with offsets to each side), the Maryland or Stacked-I, Power-I, Single-wing, Double-wing, Notre Dame Box, Wishbone, Flexbone, Wing-T, Pistol, and whatever else I can figure out. The problem with some of these formations is that a lot of motion is used, and I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to figure that part out.

However, as soon as I began to dive into ROM hacking, my life turned upside down and all of my plans have been halted. Formation and play design is the most involved aspect of the kinds of hacking I can perform, and I don't know when I'll be able to get back to the grindstone. Hopefully, someday I'll be able to finish what I've already started, and use that as a template for other stuff.

Hopefully, with the Dolphins showing that a college-type offense (the Wildcat) can work in specific circumstances, more NFL teams will specialize further by adding more college-inspired formations, sets, and plays. Some teams may be skittish due to philosophies regarding depth and roster sizes. Desperation, however, can often lead to a willingness to throw caution to the wind, and come up with something creative and unique.

Back on track with the thread topic, there's a formation that I don't know the name of... The Carolina Panthers run it a good bit and I've seen a few others run it too. It's a run-heavy formation, sort of an inverted wishbone. I'll try to draw a crude picture:

........O.......OO8OOO

...................O..O

.....................O

The number "8" symbolizes both the center and QB. I'm not sure if there is a tight end on the line or if there's another receiver lined up wide on the right side, but that doesn't necessarily matter. It's the backfield I'm concerned with. This looks similar to the flexbone, but it's not the same. The spacing is different and there isn't a fullback lined up deep, behind the QB, as in the flexbone. I'm also not sure about the up-backs, but they may be HBs, FBs, TEs, wingbacks, or whatever.

Anyhoo...

• 5 months later...