Applying SIM data

Lhopital

No worries.  I was hoping to see the basic idea behind setting up the formulas because it looks pretty complex, but my main desire was to be able to copy/paste data from TSBtool into excel and back again.  I've gone and devised my own system for sim ratings based on patterns I found in the original rom.  I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it's good enough for me.  The only thing not automated is the defense, because that isn't based on attributes anyway but rather the percentage of sacks/interceptions a player would be expected to get on their team.  I'm still tweaking it, but I'll upload it here for others to mess around with when I'm finished.

See the attachment.  Here's how it works:

1. "Save Data" in TSB tool from your rom as a .csv file

2. Open the .csv file in Excel and copy everything (easiest just to click on a cell far away from the data, like O6 or something, and Ctrl-A to select all cells)

3. Select cell A1 on the "Paste_Edit Here" sheet of my workbook and paste

4. For players on offense, change only the attributes on the "Paste_Edit Here" page.  It will automatically apply the sim value on the "Output" page

5. Copy rows 25-1003 on "Sheet 2"

6. In TSB tool, highlight everything from the "TEAM = bills..." line to the last line of the falcons roster, and paste over it

7. Apply to rom and you're done

I didn't touch the defense ratings because they aren't based on the players' attributes.  You'll have to change these manually to determine the amount of sacks/interceptions players will get relative to others on the team.  Any changes made to the "Paste_Edit Here" page update on the "Output" page, which will in turn update "Sheet 2".  Also, any team ratings need to be changed in TSB tool, and it will only work on rom with 28 teams or fewer.  One cool feature is that duplicate numbers on the same team will highlight red.

Lastly, for some reason all the formations are set to 2rb,2wr,1te even though I included data from the original rom.  I'm not sure what's going on with that, but just keep in mind that my forumlas differ for RBs, WRs, and TEs.  You may have to account for this or else you can end up with cells having errors or inaccurate sim ratings if you change the formations.  Fixing it is as simple as a copy/paste, though. 

Like I said, it's not necessarily finished or perfect, but you'll get the idea.  The formulas are very simplistic and really account for only one attribute (except for the QBs).  I simmed a few seasons on the original rom and the results seemed relatively close to the original so it's good enough for me.  Feedback is welcome, or you can take it and change it to suit your own needs.

Book1.xlsx

Edited by adscl84

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/15/2009 at 3:44 PM, jstout said:

I created this excel worksheet a while back and I did some light updates today on it. I think it works fairly well and at worst is a good starting point. Let me know what you think.

TSBSimulations_New.xls

@jstout.......what is the GP & Adjuster column for on your spreadsheet? I am working on updating the sim data for an updated version and wasn't sure how to proceed since it's a cell that can be adjusted.

Capture.PNG

Edited by SBlueman

• 4 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, jstout said:

Yeah, I'm doing fine.  Bruddog is correct that its Games Played.  The "Adjuster" part is if you had some scrub that say played 1 game and had a star performance then you could set this value higher to cut down the final value to a more logical score

Good to see you back! I used the adjuster to split the stats with the Bills and Browns QBs using projected stats. Seems to work like a charm. Of course you have to go back and adjust the sim stats a bit after play testing but the baseline is pretty on point. I also had to account for some RBs getting 4 running plays in a playbook. 

• 4 months later...

I added some.extra features to the sim code spreadsheet posted before by @jstout here:

Here are the following edits:

1. Added a page (named Sheet 7) where you can paste the team's info from TSBTool that will auto-populate the player's names to the "Individual" and new "Out of 32" page. Paste the text from TSBTool as unformatted text (separated by comma) for the cells to fill separately.

mQmu70f.png

aPsC9p6.png%5B

2. Added a new page where you can get a ballpark baseline to use for the five starting skill positions on offense. The stats from this page will populate from the "Individual" page. 

cc2aK58.png

All the formulas populate on their own. The "SIM" column is simply a place you can adjust the results and have the total end up being 32. This is my first time dipping into spreadsheets for the game so feel free to improve on it of you can and want to.

I'm a Open Office user so it's a .ods file. Hopefully someone finds it useful!

TSBSimulations_Eagles.ods

Edited by SBlueman

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some more work on my spreadsheet lately.  Using least squares regression models, I determined which attribute(s) had the strongest correlations to each sim value.  I then fudged the formulas a bit to ensure a wider range of values, which was necessary for the sim values that may not have had a strong correlation with any attribute(s).  This one will now set defensive sim values based on their attributes and also adjusts for position (e.g. ILBs generally have much lower sim sack values than OLBs).  It currently adjusts sim catch values for the five starters to always add up to 32 for all teams, but I may change it to do that only if the calculated total would exceed 32 (e.g. team has many great WR, such as HOU).  It also does this for the sack and interception totals (they'll auto-adjust to equal 255).

I wouldn't call it perfect, but given how easy it makes it to apply sim data, it works quite well in that the end of year stat leaders are generally who you would expect.  See the post above for how to apply the data to a rom.

Book1(2).xlsx

• 8 months later...
On 1/16/2009 at 6:55 PM, jstout said:

For those that want to change the sim values, the individual sim values are:

QB SIM:

Rushing Ability, Passing Ability, Pocket Tendency

RB/WR/TE SIM:

Rushing Ability, Receiving Ability, Receiving Yardage, Receiving Target

DL/LB/DB SIM:

Sack, Interception

K/P SIM:

Kicking Ability

*Passing and Receiving Ability work together in deciding a reception, incompletion, or interception on the play.

*Both Punt and Kick Return Sim values are incorrectly found by Tecmo's code as it doesn't get the sim for the KR or PR player (I'm able to write something though to make it work right). The value was supposed to be either Rushing Ability or Receiving Yardage.

TSB Supreme is incorrectly documented in terms of offensive skill position sim attributes

This is a rough edit by me and please don't feel obligated to use my labels as i just needed something that fit in an image

image.png

@bruddog If KR/PR numbers aren't being pulled from here, where are they coming from?

Also here is essentially what the team stats should be.  Not sure if anyone ever bothered to tell @BAD_AL about any of this.

image.png

11 minutes ago, bruddog said:

@Knobbe

The Sim rushing value of the kick returner is used for kick returns

The Sim rushing value of the punt returner is used for punt returns

Is it also used for Receiving Yardage and Receiving Target, respectively?

38 minutes ago, Knobbe said:

Is it also used for Receiving Yardage and Receiving Target, respectively?

There are two bytes for each skill player.

Nibble 1 = Sim Rushing Yards Value                          (Used for Sim kick returns if player is at KR spot, Used for Sim punt returns if player at PR spot)

Nibble 2 = Sim Receiving Catch Chance Value 

Nibble 3 = Sim Yards Per Catch Value

Nibble 4 = Sim Target Chance Value

The Sim rushing,sim yards per catch,sim kr and sim pr all pull from the same lookup table. 

On 10/17/2019 at 12:26 PM, bruddog said:

@Knobbe

The Sim rushing value of the kick returner is used for kick returns

The Sim rushing value of the punt returner is used for punt returns

I never really thought about this before, I generally just ignored sim values for returners because it's such a minor part of the game, but I can easily utilize this. I put most returners in the RB3 or RB4 spot, so inflating the rushing value of elite returners will have little effect on the offense. Good to know.

On 10/20/2019 at 11:30 AM, BO FB Offtackle Left said:

I never really thought about this before, I generally just ignored sim values for returners because it's such a minor part of the game, but I can easily utilize this. I put most returners in the RB3 or RB4 spot, so inflating the rushing value of elite returners will have little effect on the offense. Good to know.

One big factor in return averages is the schedule because returners are pitted against also determine the outcome of a kick/punt return

Via @bruddog

(kr/pr skill + condition adjust + random) - (opponent run defense + random)

You come up with a value which then determines which bucket of return lengths you will get

Here is an example of some logic for that.

image.png

On kick returns if i had things turned all the way up I could notice a guy always being towards the top consistently 20+ yards per return.  I'm not sure if it's anecdotal but it seems like more RBs are towards the top of the current season i'm looking at and they tend to have higher rushing numbers than wrs) 

On punt returns the averages are so bunched together it we're talking about the top guys at 10-11 yards per return. Not a lot of juice in the squeeze there.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't going to get that deep into it. But it's a simple matter to see, oh I gave that team a 44ms RT, so I'll give the returner a 15 in Sim Rushing. Stuff like that.

On 10/21/2019 at 5:05 PM, Knobbe said:

One big factor in return averages is the schedule because returners are pitted against also determine the outcome of a kick/punt return

Via @bruddog

(kr/pr skill + condition adjust + random) - (opponent run defense + random)

You come up with a value which then determines which bucket of return lengths you will get

Here is an example of some logic for that.

image.png

On kick returns if i had things turned all the way up I could notice a guy always being towards the top consistently 20+ yards per return.  I'm not sure if it's anecdotal but it seems like more RBs are towards the top of the current season i'm looking at and they tend to have higher rushing numbers than wrs) 

On punt returns the averages are so bunched together it we're talking about the top guys at 10-11 yards per return. Not a lot of juice in the squeeze there.