HEX EDITING.....Please be kind...Remember when you were NEW.

bucs2nine

Ok...I've figured out how to use TSB SUPREME, i've figured out end zone editor, those things are awesome!

Now...this HEX editing, please answer these questions, ANYONE... for i am NEW!

I tried looking around this site for help and at other sites....nothing has really sunk in yet...

Is it as difficult as it looks.....I've been trying to figure it out on my own but it feels like i'm deciphering Morse Code or something... i pride myself in regards to ABSTRACT THINKING....but this seems like the hardest test I've ever taken..LOL!

IS IT EASY once you get the knack for it?

Is it super time consuming and Monotonous?

Does anyone have a sure fire EXAMPLE they could Cut and Paste and show me with.....and tell me what program they downloaded and used to do it?...and...please be as specific as possible in all the steps of the EXAMPLE....i figure if i get an example down I will be able to apply that knowledge to other aspects....

IF possible....could the EXAMPLE be how to change the TITLE screen after TECMO BOWL ***START*** underneath where it says peoples name or e-mail addresses??

I WOULD BE SO EXTREMELY HAPPY if someone has a great approach to tackling this task...I'm sure someone helped one of you originally, so be of good cheer and START me down the right path please.

Kindly, John

Well, first, everyone's got their favorite, but I'd get XVI32. Second, hex editing is easy, especially when you're not doing the work to find the location and find what to change it to.

if stout says change x1234 from AC06 to EACC or whatever, you just find the 1234 location (xvi's search is control-g) and put the address in. It'll find that spot, and then you just type over the numbers...

I can post more details later if you need, or someone else can if they want, I gotta type this quick and run, but I'll check back later...

OK....i've got the XVI hex editor open...

i'm trying to change the background color for the main menu screen from blue to whatever....

ive done ctrl G and have the find address open...

i'm using Dennys guide to pallette color changing...and he says main menu offsets are: 0x1A140 - 0x1A14F, and 0x1A850 - Ox1A85F...

so i'm trying to type the address x1A850 into the goto address box...but it won't type in....????

also...how do i know what number to type in that represents the color i want?? example if i want green instead of blue??

Please help, thanx!

ok i think i figured out that 0x1A850 = A850 when i search for it,

however, i searched for it and there is no A850...it jumps from A846 to A857...

is this possibly because it is for the older 28 team rom?

or am i just missing something?

is A850 the location for the Blue background on the 32-teamer....or is it something else???

also...when i do get the location....i see numbers all to the right of it , and letters, how do i know what to type in there to get the color I desire, what boxes get changed...and after this is all figured out....do i just save it and it automatically updates the rom i have uploaded.

and...Denny said all moves i make are PERMANENT....does that mean if later, on that same rom, if i want to change green to red...i can't after i have saved the rom once???

??????? help please, thanx bunches!!!

It isn't difficult to learn how to change things, but as someone who has been scanning this information for the past three months to almost a point of disgust, I wouldn't even know where to begin in finding the locations of these addresses without the help of the members of this forum. I can't even begin to understand, without simply messing with the hex code individually, how anyone was able to figure the location and byte numbers of specific concepts in TSB.

Also, if I can lend a piece of advice:

Search the forum for any question you have. You're liable to have a lot of questions answered by old posts, as most of whatever you've asked has been asked by someone other than you. If you're really serious about continuing to edit a ROM, then you'll likely have questions in the future that the board has either swallowed whole in time, or simply isn't answered anywhere else. THEN I would ask questions. Just a thought, others may not mind answering questions easily solved by simple forum searches.

THANX YAK!!!!

I'll try your suggestions for looking on the forums....

but , please...

if anyone has exact ways to change things....for now specifically...

the main menu color from blue to green...

the REGULAR season menu to orange

schedule screen to brown

team control screen to purple

team standings to teal or light blue...or dark blue...

team data screen to gold

????

any codes available for hex on these inquiries?

thanx!

and HOW TO EXACTLY do it if so..

ok i think i figured out that 0x1A850 = A850 when i search for it,

however, i searched for it and there is no A850...it jumps from A846 to A857...

is this possibly because it is for the older 28 team rom?

or am i just missing something?

is A850 the location for the Blue background on the 32-teamer....or is it something else???

also...when i do get the location....i see numbers all to the right of it , and letters, how do i know what to type in there to get the color I desire, what boxes get changed...and after this is all figured out....do i just save it and it automatically updates the rom i have uploaded.

and...Denny said all moves i make are PERMANENT....does that mean if later, on that same rom, if i want to change green to red...i can't after i have saved the rom once???

??????? help please, thanx bunches!!!

Ok, you are looking at the numbers on the side right? The exact hex is 1A850, not that whole row. I assume you got XVI32 and searched. When you did it probably highlighted a specific hex, but you were looking at the numbers on the right as the address. Click on the highlighted number and you'll see in the bottom left Adr. Hex 1A850.

Get it? I just figured it out myself LOL!

Changing 0x1A850 worked for me, not sure what you are doing wrong.

110F1130111125301111113011000000

The red numbers are the background color. You only need to change the first one, since the others mirror it. Probably a good idea to make all 4 the same color though.

ok...heres what I see...

the line reads : A846 / A1/F7/20/FF/B7/A1/D0/E0/18/EC/08(THIS IS THE CHANGE)/CC/A1/FF/D2/A7/D1

A857/ THIS IS THE NEXT LINE UNDER IT STARTING WITH A857....

These are all part of what looks like a big crossword table ( best I can describe it )

ok....wht in the world am i doing wrong.....it does not look like the line example just given in the previous post.????

baffled!!

does that matter??? please read my previous post too...

No, it doesn't matter unless they made code changes for any locations (there is no way this got changed though). From the previous post, it is obvious that you are not in the right area at all and are in the defensive player design section. Go to x1A850 and not xA850

it wont let me type in the x in the search tool so i'll manually scroll for a minute...

i thought since i could not type in x1A850...it was just A850...

ok...i can't find x1A850....not sure why i can't type x in the search....i have the search set to hexadecimal absolute...do i need to change that combo???

thanx