Tecmo Franchise Mode

sois

Anyone ever thought about working on something like this?

I bet we could rip apart a "season end" .sta file and find all of the critical elements such as: who won the Super Bowls, statistical leaders, standings.... etc. Then we could use this sta and make a web based franchise tool that would create a draft, free agency, trades, retirements and all of that awesome franchise stuff. I bet we could even save the data on a server (like TPC or something) to hold your stats and progress. That way you can track where players have moved from and how old they are.

So what I would like to know is:

1. Any interest in this?

2. Anyone ever pulled apart a season ending .sta?

Most games these days have a franchise mode. Even so, they all stink. For example, in Madden, the IR doesn't free up a roster spot. You will have to cut players if you sustain season ending injuries. How stupid!

in NBA 2k9, you will see some pretty ridiculous midseason trades start happening. The same guy will be getting traded back and forth between two teams.

Basically, I'm not getting a franchise mode fix and it would be cool to have my favorite game fulfill this need.

i could be wrong, but i would assume that any .sta is going to have all of the season stats (assuming you've played a game in 'season' mode). It's just a matter of figuring out where on the .sta that this information is kept.

This is encouraging. So what emulator should we do this for? What is the best single player emulator?

long time lurker, havent posted much, but sois post caught my eye and i had an idea for something very similar.

basically it is an online league in franchise mode. the user controls a team, a plays a game based on settings off the web. basically this would involve 2 databases, one for all the information on the rom and one for the information based off of the site (salary, stadium, player contracts, things of that nature). Leagues could be created out of this, where they fight it out season after season for supremacy, Stadiums can grow, players can sign contracts and trade teams, players can train and gain talent, offenses can be reworked. lots of goodies.

A few things i'm trying to wrap my head around is i know using applets like NEScafe, you can play games through the browser, and there is an option to allow others to view the game, but what i'm currently trying to figure out is if there is some way to play 2 players through the browser. That way no roms need to be downloaded, stats dont need to be uploaded, and everything can be handled on a server. i'm not sure if this is currently possible but it is something i'm looking into.

Another thing i would like to do is since the rom and game would be browser based, all the editing could be done through the site as well. So for example before a season begins a user could login and edit his team name and colors, and it would be reflected in the next rom update.

Currently i'm working on the gui of what the site would look like (functionality is basically nil at the moment until i know what is capable) but i hope to have a working idea soon (i say hope, college does take up a decent portion of time). I know there is still a lot to consider but nothing is done without effort!

Thoughts? ideas? comments and criticisms? I kind of only hit the tip of the berg with this post, i can go quite in-depth but i figured i would wait for later on

eggroll.

long time lurker, havent posted much, but sois post caught my eye and i had an idea for something very similar.

basically it is an online league in franchise mode. the user controls a team, a plays a game based on settings off the web. basically this would involve 2 databases, one for all the information on the rom and one for the information based off of the site (salary, stadium, player contracts, things of that nature). Leagues could be created out of this, where they fight it out season after season for supremacy, Stadiums can grow, players can sign contracts and trade teams, players can train and gain talent, offenses can be reworked. lots of goodies.

A few things i'm trying to wrap my head around is i know using applets like NEScafe, you can play games through the browser, and there is an option to allow others to view the game, but what i'm currently trying to figure out is if there is some way to play 2 players through the browser. That way no roms need to be downloaded, stats dont need to be uploaded, and everything can be handled on a server. i'm not sure if this is currently possible but it is something i'm looking into.

Another thing i would like to do is since the rom and game would be browser based, all the editing could be done through the site as well. So for example before a season begins a user could login and edit his team name and colors, and it would be reflected in the next rom update.

Currently i'm working on the gui of what the site would look like (functionality is basically nil at the moment until i know what is capable) but i hope to have a working idea soon (i say hope, college does take up a decent portion of time). I know there is still a lot to consider but nothing is done without effort!

Thoughts? ideas? comments and criticisms? I kind of only hit the tip of the berg with this post, i can go quite in-depth but i figured i would wait for later on

eggroll.

Nice post :D

I think that a multi player version of this would be something similar to leagues that exist. I know there are some salary cap franchise based leagues. Hell, I used to run the STL and this is exactly what you are talking about minus the stadium expenses and such.

I don't know anything about browser based emulation. I really don't know anything about emulation at all. I think your idea would be awesome though. Eliminating the downloads entirely would open up so many awesome possibilities. Sounds kinda like that TSB Ultra idea, except browser based. What ever happened to that?

Finally, I really want to concentrate on the one player mode if I do this. The cause of this idea is because progression, free agency and franchise mode in general suck for most sports games. I would say College Hoops 2k8 was the best so far, but my first love is football. Front Office Football is also great but playing the game matters a lot to me. I don't want to coach or simulate.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 years later...

would love to see a franchise mode. have an FA pool like TSB3 and trades (done properly of course) and real life next gen players simulated into the rookie draft. add player ages so they can/will retire. and somehow have a way for the younger players to get an increase in attributes (first 3 yrs maybe). it could be cool.

• 2 weeks later...