TSB Time Machine

buck

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what emulator?

When I play on my Nintendo DS, I use "nesDS" as my emulator (via the R4 card).

When I play on the Wii (via a microSD card on the Homebrew Channel), I believe I use "FCE Ultra" as my emulator. I think the SAV File goes in a separate folder. There should be a folder for ROMS and a separate folder for SAVE files.

I believe you can use any NES file emulator to play this rom, but the only question is: Does your emulator of choice support the SAV file?

I tried a game out this morning (using FCEUXDSP) and it was a close one - I ran back a kickoff with R Holcomb, and returned another to the red zone...but in the end Matt Suhey caught some critical passes and I lost by a TD in the last minute (28-21). Richard Dent was going crazy! My OL couldn't block him until the 3rd quarter.

You're right, this is a tough one. I'll take another stab at it tonight.

I tried a game out this morning (using FCEUXDSP) and it was a close one - I ran back a kickoff with R Holcomb, and returned another to the red zone...but in the end Matt Suhey caught some critical passes and I lost by a TD in the last minute (28-21). Richard Dent was going crazy! My OL couldn't block him until the 3rd quarter.

You're right, this is a tough one. I'll take another stab at it tonight.

Hey Buck,

Glad to hear you were able to load this Super Bowl game and try it out. Now you know why my friend HYPO was blowing smoke up his arse (as he was able to defeat the '85 Bears 56-49). :) Hey, you have any idea how I can post screen shots of my saved games to these threads. I see other members posting screen shots of their games, but am not sure how they go about doing it. For example, say I win the Super Bowl and wanted to post a snapshot of the Playoff Grid showing all the scores of each game, how would I go about doing that? Do I need to get special permission from RodW to be able to do this kind of stuff? What computer NES emulator could I use to load my NES SAV Files (like the one I sent you) so that I can pause game screens and capture snapshots for posting.

I tried using Nesticle on my computer to load my NES Sav File for this Rom but couldn't get it to load my saved game. I'm sure there's a way to do it.

Any help or instructions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

Now you know why my friend HYPO was blowing smoke up his arse (as he was able to defeat the '85 Bears 56-49). :) Hey, you have any idea how I can post screen shots of my saved games to these threads. I see other members posting screen shots of their games, but am not sure how they go about doing it.

Any help or instructions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thx!

well, I don't understand how "HYPO" could give up 49 points...stopping that CHI playbook shouldn't be that tough (use bottom CB, pick run 3)...offensively, I used the rams playbooks that were already set up - if I changed them I could win the game for sure.

like I said in my post above, I was using FCEUXDSP emulator.

to take a screenshot, there are many ways. the way I usually do it is -

press the "print screen" key on your keyboard (usually above the "insert, home, page up" keys)

open "paint"

hit 'ctrl v" (or paste)

then crop-out the extra stuff on the screen (like the window, etc)

"save as" a jpeg (or jpg, can't remember)

to post the screenshot,

when you're posting, click on 'upload attachment'

it should be self-explanatory

ok VanDamon, i went ahead and used the playbooks that were already set up.

willie gault took a kickoff back on me in the 3rd

I threw a game-winning, diving 8 yd TD to torry holt (pass 1) as time expired...heart was pounding - (I was down 21-17)

I probably got sacked 10 times...

here's screens

post-3789-13413725449286_thumb.jpg

post-3789-13413725450399_thumb.jpg

I threw a game-winning, diving 8 yd TD to torry holt (pass 1) as time expired...heart was pounding - (I was down 21-17)

here's screens

Wow! Great job! If there's anyone that knows how to beat certain this game, it would be the guy who designed the rom and playbooks. Actually the playbook that you were using were probably the pre-set plays that I had picked towards the start of the season and not the Official Ram's playbook plays that you had preset with the team when you made the rom. Just curious about your game set-up at home. Since you were able to capture a snapshot of the scoreboard, it must mean that you were playing this game on your PC using a NES emulator. Otherwise, how else could you capture those snapshots of the scoreboard so quickly since it disappears after you save the game. What kind of controller do you use when you play on the PC? Do you use a special 8-bit nes controller with a special hookup to the USB port? Another question: if you had played on a handheld (like I do) and won the Super Bowl and then saved your game (after the credits rolled and everything), would you then still be able to capture a snapshot of the scoreboard if you transferred the SAV file to your PC -- since it most likely would have disappeared after you hit the "B" button to advance into the credits?

Since you were able to capture a snapshot of the scoreboard, it must mean that you were playing this game on your PC using a NES emulator. Otherwise, how else could you capture those snapshots of the scoreboard so quickly since it disappears after you save the game. What kind of controller do you use when you play on the PC? Do you use a special 8-bit nes controller with a special hookup to the USB port? Another question: if you had played on a handheld (like I do) and won the Super Bowl and then saved your game (after the credits rolled and everything), would you then still be able to capture a snapshot of the scoreboard if you transferred the SAV file to your PC -- since it most likely would have disappeared after you hit the "B" button to advance into the credits?

I hit "print screen" when the scoreboard screen was up. Then I went and pasted it into paint.

Currently, I'm using FCE emulators. For USB control: A "3 in 1 PC JOY BOX" - which allows either a Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, or Playstation 2 controller to USB (no drivers required - pure plug-n-play!). I use the Saturn D-Pad controller (freaking kicks ass - especially for MAME SHMUPS). I used to use my old PS2 controller.

Honestly, I have no idea how to load/transfer/process/ sav files from any emulator or hardware device - I don't have any experience in that field. (except LSDJ for Gameboy, but that's completely different story).

TM 2 could come out any day...but I'll shoot for 2-3 weeks max.

here's screens

WAIT A MINUTE! how do i know that the pics you posted are from the saved game that VanDamon uploaded? for all i know, you could have started a preseason game with the 99 rams vs 85 bears and won that game and then took a snapshot of that. would you be able to post a pic of the playoff grid from Vandamon's SAV file which shows the brackets of all the scores from the wildcard, divisional, conference and super bowl scores? if the playoff scores are the same as that of the scores which i have on Vandamon's Sav file, then i will be convinced.

WAIT A MINUTE! how do i know that the pics you posted are from the saved game that VanDamon uploaded? for all i know, you could have started a preseason game with the 99 rams vs 85 bears and won that game and then took a snapshot of that. would you be able to post a pic of the playoff grid from Vandamon's SAV file which shows the brackets of all the scores from the wildcard, divisional, conference and super bowl scores? if the playoff scores are the same as that of the scores which i have on Vandamon's Sav file, then i will be convinced.

lucky for me, the game was still up on the screen

here you go, dick

post-3789-13413725451634_thumb.jpg

post-3789-13413725452803_thumb.jpg

post-3789-13413725453829_thumb.jpg

see pics above, here's the sav file

Dang! You sure proved Hypes wrong...haha! :) He doesn't have a computer and online accesibility so I called him to tell him you posted a pic of the grid. He's in disbelief and denial right now ... haha! He wanted me to say to you: CONGRATS ... YOU ARE A REAL TECMO SUPER CHAMPION and that HE'S SORRY FOR DOUBTING YOU! He wishes that he'll one day have the priviledge of meeting you some of the players on this board for some mano y mano action.

here's screens

I FINALLY BEAT THIS DANG SUPER BOWL after what must be 20+ times! Defeated my beloved '85 Bears with Kurt Warner's 99 St. Louis Rams 24-14! :) In the game, Bear's DEF knocked out Robert Holcolme on a punt return. I plugged in Isaac Bruce and returned a Kickoff for a TD! Then later in the game, they knocked out Bruce! Finally, had to plug in Faulk as the kick returner. I remember at one point, I led 14-7 with just under a minute to go before the half. I had the ball deep in my own territory. I dropped back to pass but got blitzed and fumbled the ball. Dan Hampton returns the fumble for a TD to tie the game at 14-14. I got PO'd!! :( Wow, what a game! I held them in check in the 2nd half and got a field goal in the 3rd and a TD by Hakim to seal the deal. Wasn't easy, as DENT and Hampton kept coming in fast!

Here's a screenshot of my grid:

post-7514-13413725455026_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

hey, thanks. I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I put a lot of hours into this one - making it and playing it! It's meant to be tough vs COM. If you play it vs a human opponent, it's really a lot of fun.

I've made a "Time Machine 2" - similar concept, but with different teams (like '34 bears, otto graham browns, and '96 packers) and different playbooks...but I haven't messed with it since last fall. It was like 90% done. Someday.

Loving it! Kinda hard but super cool! Thanks Buck.

hey, thanks. I'm glad you've enjoyed it. I put a lot of hours into this one - making it and playing it! It's meant to be tough vs COM. If you play it vs a human opponent, it's really a lot of fun.

I've made a "Time Machine 2" - similar concept, but with different teams (like '34 bears, otto graham browns, and '96 packers) and different playbooks...but I haven't messed with it since last fall. It was like 90% done. Someday.

I'll be looking forward to it, you are really talented. Gotta have those '09 Saints in there!

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed the Time Machine rom and am making a similar one of my own. Mostly inspired by your ROM.

Curious on what teams you added to part 2 as I also have the 96 Packers on my ROM (I have half the teams done on my ROM so far).

Also curious on how you managed to change the team names and helmets (since it is a 32 team rom) as this is the part I am struggling with.

You can easily change team names with a hex editor, which can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5320

Search the text part of the editor (the part where you can see actual words, not just numbers) for team names and abbreviations. Once you find one the others should be near it. You can just type whatever names you want in their places. The limit on team names is 20 characters. I forget what, if any, punctuation is allowed, but it's best to avoid altogether. For abbreviations you can obviously use periods, up to 4 characters including periods.

I enjoyed the Time Machine rom and am making a similar one of my own. Mostly inspired by your ROM.

Curious on what teams you added to part 2 as I also have the 96 Packers on my ROM (I have half the teams done on my ROM so far).

Also curious on how you managed to change the team names and helmets (since it is a 32 team rom) as this is the part I am struggling with.