TSB Time Machine

buck

EDIT - Revised version now available.

TSB Time Machine (a hack of cxrom's 32-Team NES TSB with his in-game, changeable-playbook mod)

This TSB hack started out as a TSB "Toilet Bowl" - with all fantasy (made-up) players that made interesting matchups and border-lined on the 'extreme/freak' rating side of TSB...I decided why not hand-pick some real-NFL teams with players that would have interesting ratings? 

If you're a NFL fan of years past (thanks NFL films!) or like 'old-school' players, just looking at the rosters will be a treat. I've spent a good amount of time researching players' stats, race, #'s, etc. I've tried to represent the players and teams in a realistic (but always FUN) fashion.

So, after over 6 months of tweaking, playing CPU, playing Man V Man, tweaking, etc - it's finally done. Though Time Machine is optimized for Man Vs Man (isn't TSB always about Man V Man?), I've tried to make it challenging and fun to play the CPU.

I thought I would share it with the TSB community as I believe it is a unique offering and my friends and I have had alot of fun with it.

Features:

32 Teams - 16 Super Bowl Champions and 16 "others" with a great player or two - spanning from 1952 LA to 2007 NYG.

Semi-Modified playbooks (modded formations and new/modified plays)

Pro Bowl is 11-man "Offensive All-Star"s Vs 11-man "Defensive All-Stars" 

Edited schedules- each division team plays other members of division twice, the other games are what I thought are interesting matchups

All Sim data updated

Hacks:

jstout's QB Pass Accuracy hack (PC is control, PA is interception/completion variable)

jstout's HP hack (modified version) - (weighted by HP, CPU has random taps added)

Actual KR/PR MS used for returns (although against CPU, it can be too easy, so sub-in a slow guy icon_mrgreen.gif )

Quickness used for MS on defensive INTs and Fumble recoveries

mega-juice (beyond "normal" 16-win juice levels in some categories...it can get pretty tough to run)

(There's probably other features and hacks I should mention...but I'm tired of typing - just play it a few times and see how it goes.)

Enjoy!

1952 LA RAMS (Night Train Lane)

1958 Baltimore COLTS (Unitas, etc) champ team

1962 Green Bay PACKERS (Jim Taylor, etc) champ team

1963 Cleveland Browns (Jim Brown)

1965 Chicago Bears (Sayers, Butkis)

1967 LA Rams (Deacon Jones)

1969 KC Chiefs (Dawson) champ team

1972 Miami Dolphins (Csonka, etc) champ team

1973 Buffalo Bills (2000 yd OJ)

1976 Oakland Raiders (Stabler) champ team

1978 Pittsburgh Steelers champ team

1980 Houston Oilers (Earl Campbell)

1981 San Diego Chargers (Fouts, etc)

1984 Miami Dolphins (Marino)

1984 San Francisco 49ers (Montana, Lott) champ team

1985 Chicago Bears champ team

1986 NY Giants champ team

1988 Indianapolis Colts (Dickerson)

1990 Philadelphia Eagles (Cunningham)

1991 Washington Redskins champ team

1992 Dallas Cowboys (Smith, Aikman, etc) champ team

1994 San Francisco 49ers (Young, Rice) champ team

1997 Detroit Lions (Barry Sanders 2000 yd)

1998 Minnesota Vikings (Cunningham, Moss, etc)

1999 St Louis Rams champ team

2000 Baltimore Ravens (defense) champ team

2003 KC Chiefs (Priest Holmes, etc) 

2005 Pittsburgh Steelers champ team

2006 Atlanta Falcons (Vick 1000 yd)

2007 New England Patriots (almost undefeated)

2007 Chicago Bears (Devin Hester)

2007 NY Giants champ team

PS - jstout, cxrom, bruddog, BAD_AL, Randy Moss, the TSB hackers of years past/present, and Rod Woodson - thank you.

EDIT - Revised version now available.

LIST OF TEAMS

tsbtmselectscreentg8.th.pngthpix.gif

tsbtimemachinelabelnesvn6.th.jpgthpix.gif

Edited by Knobbe

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa. Great Job. Probably one of the if not "the" best "Champions" type of rom.

I love the new playbook. I think you did a really good job. That's probably one of my favorite parts.

Also curious as to why you chose the 2007 Bears to be on the rom. They weren't really all that good.

Like last years bears, are you are thinking 2006 Bears where they went to the super bowl vs INDY and lost?

All in all, great job.

Also curious as to why you chose the 2007 Bears to be on the rom. They weren't really all that good.

They aren't good on the rom either (maybe the worst?) - they're there because of Hester's amazing year. He's the only reason, just like 06ATL - when R Mexico ran for 1000 yds (that team sucks too).

They aren't good on the rom either (maybe the worst?) - they're there because of Hester's amazing year. He's the only reason, just like 06ATL - when R Mexico ran for 1000 yds (that team sucks too).

ah, I see. I love the playbooks. Great addition. some very good plays. I think this makes this rom one of the better ones out there. Because defense is a little tuffer, because you don't know the plays as well, so you watch the WRs and they are running diffferent routes than normal and the running back comes out a little different, its a very nice touch.

anyway to get the "Wildcat" offense in there? (direct snap to RB1, RB2 lined up outside and comes motion, and either handoff to RB2, run with RB1 or pass with RB1 or pitch to QB1, who is lined up outside like a WR)

When I play this a little more, I will coment more on your Rom, I love it.

(maybe finish the helmet design on the players data screen)

I also love the jersey colors. you did a great job. I love the fact that I can play Mia84 vs Mia72 and clearly see which team is which.

***EDIT***

This might very well be the best version of TSB that I have played. I'm still early in a season, but I think you have created quite a winner here. You actually do have a formation very much like the Wildcat and it is very effective. I love it. It's in the running plays all the way to the right and the WR comes in motion and a direct snap the the RB and you can run up and you got crazy blockers for you.

Ok, here is my grading

GRAPHIC UPDATES: (A) - The only thing that stoped me from giving a A+ was the logos on the helmets on the players data screen, otherwise fantasic. Keepn it real in most places was key. Logos on the helmets would recieve an A+.

ROSTER UPDATES: (A) - Besides the Falcons and Bears who I am not sure belong there, there is good reason. The players ratings are fantastic. I like the fact that you have some players that are crazy good. because sometimes that's how it is. there are some errors on players colors (just a few) but still very accurate.

PLAYABILITY: (A+) - It is very fun playing different eras vs. each other. (Gotta go to the office now, I'll finish this later)

***EDIT 2***

Nevermind the grading. I'll put it very simple. Out of the hundreds of different versions of Tecmo Super Bowl for the NES, this one is the best one that I have played to date. It's official.

...now, I'm going back to my season.

OMG! This is the best game ever! Week 7: Dolphins of 1972 vs the 06 Chiefs. I almost lost! Priest Holmes was in super juice mode and went yard back to back, then Donte Hall (also super juice) goes long from a super long Kickoff. He just straight up ran away from everyone to the point that when he scored, he was the only one in the screen! Then I get the ball and through a pick to some dude, and he almost runs it back. Luckily a timely Jake Scott interception from Trent Green sealed the deal for me and I won 35-28. Wow, that was a blast though.

:D

***EDIT****

Just played week 9? against the 65 Bears. GAYLE SAYERS! He had 9 rushes for 341 Yards. Butkus has 2 sacks and 1 int. I won 42-41. But should have lost. They had the ball 4th quarter, running out the clock with Sayers and as time expired, Sayers fumbles (rare) and Manny Fernandez takes it in for the score to finish it off 42-41. I consider this game a loss. OMG! A ton of fun.

Philly, not to take anything away from Buck, cause I'm sure this ROM is badass, but you know it's very easy to super-juice any version of the game...I have my personal ROMS super juiced and the seasons are actually a lot of friggin' fun. If you want to know how to do this, it's very simple, espcially if you have TSBTool supreme.

Well, you don't need the tool to juice it, but for people who don't feel comfortable editing hex, creating a set patch is mindless. Past some text into the editor and hit apply...I used to do it by hand, but it's easier to just use some pre-existing text files for hacks. Either way, the point of my last post was that juicing is available for any rom, and it's easy as pie...

Philly, not to take anything away from Buck, cause I'm sure this ROM is badass, but you know it's very easy to super-juice any version of the game...I have my personal ROMS super juiced and the seasons are actually a lot of friggin' fun. If you want to know how to do this, it's very simple, espcially if you have TSBTool supreme.

doesn't matter how he juiced it, or all of the little individual things he's added, but overall it's just a blast

Sweet, 07 Bears. I'm there.

Philly, not to take anything away from Buck, cause I'm sure this ROM is badass, but you know it's very easy to super-juice any version of the game...

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I know it is easy to "juice" any of the roms, but I think the overall game (not just the juice) is just fantastic, from the ratings, to sim to graphics and especially the playbook is simply outstanding.

Excellent, I'm sure it is. I tried my hand at rating this off-season, and it's a very involved process for sure. Kudos to anyone who does it...

Yeah, i agree. It's a lot harder than it looks. You keep saying "I'm sure it is good" as if you haven't played it yet. Do you only play SNES TSB Roms?

Buck, Question for you...

..how did you decide on putting the 88 Colts in the game for? They went 9-7 and E.Dickerson seemed to have an good year, but nothing like his 84 Rams season. That whole division is subject. The rest of the divisions have pretty good teams, or at least you know why they are in the rom. 07 pats cuz of their crazy year, 07 bears because of hester, falcons because of vick, 63 browns becuase of jim brown and so on. Just curious as to what your theory was on making that division? A division of medocrate?

Thanks again for posting this rom. This is probably the first time that the computer clinch a division playoff birth (07 Pats) 3 games before I did.

Buck, Question for you...

..how did you decide on putting the 88 Colts in the game for? They went 9-7 and E.Dickerson seemed to have an good year, but nothing like his 84 Rams season. That whole division is subject. The rest of the divisions have pretty good teams, or at least you know why they are in the rom. 07 pats cuz of their crazy year, 07 bears because of hester, falcons because of vick, 63 browns becuase of jim brown and so on. Just curious as to what your theory was on making that division? A division of medocrate?

[so-Crates aside (averagetsbplayer)]

88 IND = I was kinda stuck with finding a team between 86-90...Eric Dickerson was one of my favorites as a kid, I needed another shitty team for the particular division, 1984 already has Montana and Marino, there are already some kick-ass RBs on the ROM, so, 88IND it is.

86 Giants = LT + Bavaro

90 Eagles = R White, QB Eagles -my favorite player on original rom (and one of the best seasons for a QB, IMO)

91 Skins = skins must be on ROM, they kicked major ass that year

overall = NYG, PHI and WAS in the same division - what more could you ask for?

I saw this question coming. I agree, that it is a weird division, but it's the best I could do.

Isn't the whole point of this rom to be something different? If you just put all the best teams there are probably 100 roms of that already.

yep. there are already some decent 'best teams' roms - I was trying to make a mixture of 'best teams' with 'best players on average to poor teams' that I thought would make for interesting matchups.

My friends and I are pretty happy with it (having some carts made, which I'm still waiting to receive) - we've played so many fun games against each other. It's evolved to where we close our eyes and randomly pick teams - which has not disappointed. For example, there have been many games between us where the loser of a game will run for 200+ yds...that's kinda cool. Bend, but don't break.

88 IND = I was kinda stuck with finding a team between 86-90...Eric Dickerson was one of my favorites as a kid, I needed another shitty team for the particular division, 1984 already has Montana and Marino, there are already some kick-ass RBs on the ROM, so, 88IND it is.

86 Giants = LT + Bavaro

90 Eagles = R White, QB Eagles -my favorite player on original rom (and one of the best seasons for a QB, IMO)

91 Skins = skins must be on ROM, they kicked major ass that year

overall = NYG, PHI and WAS in the same division - what more could you ask for?

I saw this question coming. I agree, that it is a weird division, but it's the best I could do.

No, you did a great job, this is exactly what I was looking for. Makes sense.

2 Things I noticed, they are not big things, but I'm not sure you were aware of them.

1.) Howard Twilley (WR-#81 '72Dolphins) is White, not Black.

howard_twilley_195.jpg

2.) All the helmets in the "Team Data" screen apprear to be correct. But, when you get into the playoffs, or in the Division Standings page, the 1962 Packers have the same helmet as the 49ers. In the Team Data screen, they have the same helmet, but slightly different colors, so you can tell one is Green Bay. But in the Standings and Playoffs pages, Green Bay has a 49ers Helmet.

2 Things I noticed, they are not big things, but I'm not sure you were aware of them.

1.) Howard Twilley (WR-#81 '72Dolphins) is White, not Black.

2.) All the helmets in the "Team Data" screen apprear to be correct. But, when you get into the playoffs, or in the Division Standings page, the 1962 Packers have the same helmet as the 49ers. In the Team Data screen, they have the same helmet, but slightly different colors, so you can tell one is Green Bay. But in the Standings and Playoffs pages, Green Bay has a 49ers Helmet.

1. Whoops

2. I know about that, I couldn't get it all working right, so I compromised with the Select Screens looking right. Ask CXROM about that one.

• 2 weeks later...

Uncle Buck, I gotta few questions for you.

What team do you think is most dominant?

What team is the most fun to play with?

For Dominant, I might have to go with the 1994 Niners. Deion on kickoffs for TDs, Deion picks off everything. I thought that his like 6HP might hinder his ability, but it doesn't. My first game vs the almightly 92 Cowboys was like 75-0. I don't think they pass the 50 yard line. Aikman had 8 pix. Then on Offense, you got Young, Rice, Watters. (and Deion again)

most fun, maybe the 65 bears with sayers and butkus?