Help?

Bodom

So I'm starting to get a little deeper into modifying roms besides just editing players, playbooks...all the easy stuff. I really want to become familiar with hex editing and I'm hoping there's a few patient people around to answer my bonehead questions as I have zero experience with this stuff. I'm not very tech savvy...if that's even the word for it. But I want to learn!

Been having a little fun editing graphics, quarter length, making my own plays and reactions.... and a few other things. Anyways, I'll get to it.

My first question is (and again, I apologize if this is "simple stuff") how do you insert a fix?

I took this directly from the Player 2 Conditions thread. I get how to find the 30E55 and 31F90. Then there's a fix that JStout wrote below. What on earth do I do with that info??

x30E55

20 80 9F JSR CHECK_PLAYER

x31F90

CHECK_PLAYER:

A6 6E LDX $6E ; Load Current Player

E4 6D CPX $6D ; Load Player 2

F0 02 BEQ :+

; PLAYER 1

18 CLC

60 RTS

; PLAYER 2

38 : SEC

60 RTS

A6 6E LDX $6E ; Load Current Player

E4 6D CPX $6D ; Load Player 2

F0 02 BEQ :+

; PLAYER 1

18 CLC

60 RTS

; PLAYER 2

38 : SEC

60 RTS

I'm not sure what hex editor/program you are using but

@ 30E55 you would type the following bytes in

20 80 9F

"JSR CHECK PLAYER" is just a comment of what those bytes do. In this case a jump to service routine.

Then @31F90 you would also type in all the bytes in order. You don't need to type in the things like LDX $6E; Load current player

I'm using XVI32. ...and I might be a little "further behind" in this learning process than you think. I don't understand hex at all, but I have come to find out that I learn much quicker while doing things ass backwards...THEN I start to realize the concepts behind it.

That being said - I go to 30E55 and I'm looking at a huge grid with a highlighted A6. Where exactly do I type in 20 80 9F?

my advice -

1. a spreadsheet is your friend - use concatenate, and stuff like that. get the excel add-in so you can do DEC2HEX and HEX2DEC etc.

2. when reasonable (which is most of the time) use SET commands in BAD_ALs TSB TOOL SUPREME.

3. make lots of backups of a rom you're tweaking (especially when you're about to do something heavy)

4. use fceuxdsp or similar emulator with a built-in hex editor - (you can tweak the rom while you're playing the game!) for instant gratification - this saves a shitload of time.

5. learn to deal with pointers - here's how to find the hex address of a pointer using excel:

A. (a4ed) = 'pointer'

B. hex2dec(pointer) = 'dec pointer' = 42221

C. hex2dec(2000) = 8192

D. hex2dec(10) = 16

E. dec2hex('dec pointer' - 8192 + 16) = 84FD

so, the pointer was a4ed and the address it points to is 84fd.

for the junk in your 1st post - I will show you what I would do:

(ignore the comments and any text stuff that jstout adds in, just use the code)

start at the beginning address:

SET( 0x30E55, 0x20809F)

then, the next bunch of junk:

SET( 0x31F90, 0xA66EE46DF00218603860A66EE46DF00218603860)

now, copy and paste that into TOOL (with the ROM you want to mod loaded) and apply.

If what buck said was over your head, here's another way to look at it...

For the record, XVI32 is a great editor.

That being said - I go to 30E55 and I'm looking at a huge grid with a highlighted A6. Where exactly do I type in 20 80 9F?

so, with A6 highlighted (make sure you click into the left pane, sometimes it highlights the right side, and that won't help you yet) just start typing the bytes...his code is saying:

Since I don't have whatever ROM you're editing, let's pretend and say at x30E55, it says:

x30e55: A6 0E 9C 12 45 FF etc...

After you enter the code he gave you, it should read:

x30e55: 20 80 9F 12 45 FF etc...

Do the same for all locations/bytes given in that thread. When you get the hang of that with some smaller hacks, I'd look at what buck said and start using SET patches and whatnot with TSBTool. Any questions, hit me up on AIM...glad to help.

Please do!

Anybody ever think of making some YouTube quick emaple "How-To" videos for the noobs? We could put our YouTube Repository channel to use other than just those recreation montage videos.

If what buck said was over your head, here's another way to look at it...

For the record, XVI32 is a great editor.

so, with A6 highlighted (make sure you click into the left pane, sometimes it highlights the right side, and that won't help you yet) just start typing the bytes...his code is saying:

Since I don't have whatever ROM you're editing, let's pretend and say at x30E55, it says:

x30e55: A6 0E 9C 12 45 FF etc...

After you enter the code he gave you, it should read:

x30e55: 20 80 9F 12 45 FF etc...

Do the same for all locations/bytes given in that thread. When you get the hang of that with some smaller hacks, I'd look at what buck said and start using SET patches and whatnot with TSBTool. Any questions, hit me up on AIM...glad to help.

Thanks Tecmo.

I think the directions you and buck both listed seem pretty simple. I might have been making it more difficult than I thought. Again, I'll fiddle around with this stuff more and come back with any Q's I still have.