preseason injuries?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

In tecmo, P1 is always Home (right side) and P2 is Away (left side).

In preaseason, it's fine because each team can choose their own team. as P1, I can be GB or PIT.

In season, if the schedule says GB is home and PIT is away, P1 will be GB and P2 will be PIT. I can ONLY be GB as P1.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

just because...

the DEFAULT value (no preseason injuries) of x253F2 is 80.

so, if a rom you're playing has preseason injures activated and you don't want preseason injuries, change x253F2 to 80.

• 2 weeks later...

just because...

the DEFAULT value (no preseason injuries) of x253F2 is 80.

so, if a rom you're playing has preseason injures activated and you don't want preseason injuries, change x253F2 to 80.

This seems like it would be a trivial yet widely used item to add to the options menu

This seems like it would be a trivial yet widely used item to add to the options menu

They probably did not add it because pre-season games typically do not feature top player injuries.

But, more than likely, I think the programmers probably did not want a pre-season injury interfering with the team's in-season roster. 

They probably did not add it because pre-season games typically do not feature top player injuries.

But, more than likely, I think the programmers probably did not want a pre-season injury interfering with the team's in-season roster. 

Actually, there isn't an options menu in TSB and it wasn't coded by them due to limitations at the time. I'm referring to the option menu that has been added in addition to the four teams to make a 32 team rom. One of the items added there, for instance, is changing the number of minutes per quarter.

This is an option you can toggle starting with the first SNES version of Tecmo.

Actually, there isn't an options menu in TSB and it wasn't coded by them due to limitations at the time. I'm referring to the option menu that has been added in addition to the four teams to make a 32 team rom. One of the items added there, for instance, is changing the number of minutes per quarter.

This is an option you can toggle starting with the first SNES version of Tecmo.

I didn't put 2 and 2 together there. 

• 4 weeks later...

This it a slightly more more correct way to do  the preseason injuries hack....the other way sort of changes something that might have a possible side effect. 

@0x25EA1

ORIGINAL CODE

LDA $2D                     ; LOAD GAME STATUS
AND #$03                   ; PRESERVE LAST TWO BITS
CMP #$02                   ; IS SEASON or PLAYOFFS? (0= preseason, 1=pro bowl, 2= season, 3 = playoffs)
BCC @Loop1             ; NO->BRANCH TO NO INJURY

A52D2903C902901E

NEW CODE (INJURIES IN ALL MODES)

NOP x8                        ; CPU cycle waste no-op

SET (0x25EA1, 0xEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEA)

NEW CODE (NO INJURIES INJUIRES IN PROBOWL ONLY)

LDA $2D                     ; LOAD GAME STATUS
AND #$01                   ; 
CMP #$01                   ; IS PROBOWL? (0= preseason, 1=pro bowl)
BEQ  @Loop1             ; NO->BRANCH TO NO INJURY

SET (0x25EA1,A52D2901C901F01E)

what's the possible side effect to the old hack?

for one, the pro bowl crashes if somebody gets injured. and it seems like the pro bowl gets wonky in general.

Ah, thanks, but bruddog mentioned a "possible" side effect.  The Pro Bowl glitch is definite, as I understand it from jstout's post.  I thought bruddog was alluding to another possible problem with the original hack.

I don't think I've ever played a single Pro Bowl game since I first bought TSB in 1991.

The 80 byte is setting bit 7 of the game status to "on the field" i think or some other status indication.

By just making it 02 you are not setting that status.

I think 82 would have been the more correct value if you use the old location.

But i dont see any checks anywhere for that bit so it may have no side effect.

• 1 year later...
On 7/2/2015 at 5:06 PM, bruddog said:

This it a slightly more more correct way to do  the preseason injuries hack....the other way sort of changes something that might have a possible side effect. 

@0x25EA1

ORIGINAL CODE

LDA $2D                     ; LOAD GAME STATUS
AND #$03                   ; PRESERVE LAST TWO BITS
CMP #$02                   ; IS SEASON or PLAYOFFS? (0= preseason, 1=pro bowl, 2= season, 3 = playoffs)
BCC @Loop1             ; NO->BRANCH TO NO INJURY

A52D2903C902901E

NEW CODE (INJURIES IN ALL MODES)

NOP x8                        ; CPU cycle waste no-op

SET (0x25EA1, 0xEAEAEAEAEAEAEAEA)

NEW CODE (NO INJURIES INJUIRES IN PROBOWL ONLY)

LDA $2D                     ; LOAD GAME STATUS
AND #$01                   ; 
CMP #$01                   ; IS PROBOWL? (0= preseason, 1=pro bowl)
BEQ  @Loop1             ; NO->BRANCH TO NO INJURY

SET (0x25EA1,A52D2901C901F01E)

It seems like this ought to be able to be manipulated to e.g. turn off all season injuries or all injuries across the board, however I'm not having any luck with it. I've tried a number of hacks, but continue to get injuries during autoskip season games.

(Also, will SET (0x25EA1,A52D2901C901F01E) leave injuries on for playoffs as well?)

e.g. I've tried

SET (0x25EA1,A52D2900C901F01E) # Clear bits in register and CMP #$01 -> non-zero

SET (0x25EA1,A52D2903C904F01E) # CMP #$04 which should always be non-zero regardless of game mode

It seems like I'm missing something - perhaps there is an easier way to do this? Or the autoskip injury code is elsewhere... ?