(NES) QBVIKINGS Tecmo Super Bowl 2016-2017

qbvikings

QBVIKINGS Tecmo Super Bowl 2016-2017

JUICED AND NON JUICED versions included!

Just in time for your Tecmo Super Weekend! 

QBVIKINGS 2016-2017 Super Tecmo Bowl rom is here!

This rom is my greatest yet and is the result of hundreds of hours of work and analysis. Be prepared for a competitive season and bring your "A-Game" as this rom is juiced to the max. Rosters are accurate as of 8/25/2016.

Have fun!

Special thanks to pambazos88 for his technical assistance.

just looking at the defensive rosters, I can see that you've mistaken LCB for DB4.  For example, Revis should be "on the top" of the field, not the bottom.

TSB is backwards with how it labels left/right compared to most depth chart websites.

I have struggled with this myself and have come to the conclusion to just "reverse" what typical depth charts (ourlads, cbs) say to put it in TSB/Tool terms.

just trying to help you make a more realistic (to the original TSB and real life) game.

Edited by buck
db4

Great work overall on those rosters again, qbvikings.  I scanned 4-5 teams and noticed just one major omission -- Sheldon Richardson for the Jets, rated as the 10th best DL in the NFL by Pro Football Focus.  He's suspended for the first game this season, so the depth chart you used might not have had him listed as a starter.

Okay, so I completed the first simulation, and this is the first playoff bracket:

AFC                                                         NFC

1.  New England Patriots (12-4)              1.  Seattle Seahawks (12-3-1)

2.  Pittsburgh Steelers (11-5)                  2.  Carolina Panthers (11-5)

3.  Tennessee Titans (11-5)                    3.  Dallas Cowboys (11-5)

4.  San Diego Chargers (11-5)                4.  Chicago Bears (10-6)

5.  Buffalo Bills (9-6-1)                             5.  Green Bay Packers (9-7)

6.  Kansas City Chiefs (9-7)                     6.  Arizona Cardinals (8-8)

The Patriots defeat the Steelers in the AFC Championship game while the Carolina Panthers and Seattle Seahawks were both upset by the Chicago Bears, who would then go on to defeat the Patriots by the score of 31-24 in Super Bowl LI.  So, according to the first sim, Cutler is going to have a Mark Rypien-type season and become Super Bowl MVP.  I'm guessing League MVP will probably be something like Tom Brady or Russell Wilson, but who knows?  Coach of the Year will probably wind up being Rex Ryan for ending the Bills' postseason drought.  But, that's only the 1st simulation.  I'll probably wind up running a hundred of these and will only go over the interesting tidbits.

Okay, so I got done with 10 of these things, and let me tell you the teams that actually have a shot at winning the Super Bowl this year according to this Tecmo simulator:

AFC East:  New England Patriots (5 division titles out of 7 appearances), and is guaranteed to win the Super Bowl should they get homefield advantage throughout (still, they made it in three times, winning only once).  Still, this doesn't really take into account Tom Brady's suspension or his age, but it's still relatively proof that the Patriots are as solid a pick to win the division and reach the AFC Championship game like always.  But the Jets and Bills won the division twice apiece in 3 and 4 appearances respectively, while the Dolphins make up the rear with one division title in two appearances.  But the Patriots are the most sure thing right now, and while it is interesting to note that this simulation really likes Buffalo's chances at actually making the playoffs, they never won a single playoff game in all four of their tries.  Same thing for the Jets.  This means the Patriots are, of course, the team to beat still in the division.

AFC North:  Pittsburgh Steelers not only reached the playoffs in every single solitary scenario, but they won the division 8 times out of 10, with the only two times they actually failed to clinch the division were when either the Cincinnati Bengals won the division at 12-4 (still one-and-done though) out of 3 playoff appearances, and when the Cleveland Browns unexpectedly reached the AFC Championship game with a 14-2 record (they still lost though to the Pittsburgh Steelers, though they failed to win it that time) in their only trip to the playoffs.  Still, the Steelers managed to win in only the second simulation against the Packers of all teams.  But surprisingly enough, while it's winning average isn't as bad as the Browns when taking that 14-2 out of the equation, the Ravens' only playoff berth was as a mere 6th seed.  Still of all the teams in this division, the Steelers by far stands the best shot at making the playoffs at the very least, and at best, winning the Super Bowl.

AFC South:  A ton of mediocrity in this division.  The Titans only won the division twice (in three appearances), but never got there.  The Jaguars also made 3 appearances, netting a 9-7 record each time, and only ever winning the division once during the final simulation.  It's basically a contest between the Texans and Colts with 5 playoff spots apiece, and while the Texans holds a slight edge in ranking with 3 division titles versus the Colts' 2, Colts fans ought to feel content in knowing that should they reach the Super Bowl, they will most certainly win it.

AFC West:  The Broncos--while they won the division once and even a playoff game, never came close to reaching the Super Bowl, and never made it back to the playoffs after that one time (which makes me a bit sad, btw).  The middle two teams, however, are quite different; the Chiefs, surprisingly enough, only ever reaches the playoffs three times, winning the division once.  But they never won a playoff game.  Meanwhile, the lone playoff appearance the Raiders made, they not only won the division, but managed to reach the Super Bowl as well (only to get killed by the Cardinals).  So I suppose the good news for Raiders' fans is that should they get there, they stand a good shot at actually getting there.  That just leaves us with the San Diego Chargers, in which the emulator seems to really love in spite the problems said team are currently facing.  They won the division 7 times in 8 appearances, and reached the Super Bowl twice (both times when the Chargers got the 2 seed--the 1 seed was heavily dominated by the Steelers, a bit by the Patriots, and by the one Super Bowl victory by the Colts).  Unfortunately, they lost badly both times.

So in the AFC, here are the best teams in accordance to Tecmo Super Bowl:

1.  Pittsburgh Steelers

2.  New England Patriots

3.  Indianapolis Colts

4.  San Diego Chargers

5.  Houston Texans

6.  Buffalo Bills

Now for the NFC:

NFC East:  The Redskins--sadly--appear to be the one team that will wind up having absolutely 0 playoff appearances according to this simulation.  Even the Eagles--as bad as they appear to be--made the playoffs at least once.  In spite not taking into account Tony Romo's injury (or even his subsequent injuries), the Cowboys has won the division 8 times in 9 appearances.  But, they never even so much as reach the Super Bowl.  In stark contrast, the Giants only made the playoffs twice, both times as either the 6th seed or the 1st seed.  And in both 1st seed appearances, the Giants have split their Super Bowl winnings with the Patriots, going 1-1.  So I suppose the best shot at reaching the playoffs (provided Romo starts every game) is the Cowboys, but the Giants are the only NFC East team that has what it takes to even reach a Super Bowl and win it.  And in both appearances against the Patriots of all things.

NFC North:  Another instance of a team that never even comes close to making the playoffs would be the Detroit Lions (although there was a simulation where they do manage to win the division, I have no data on how their quest for a Lombardi had went since I accidentally restarted to the last save state by mistake).  The Vikings made it in half of their appearances, winning the division exactly once.  But they never even got to the Super Bowl.  The Bears, meanwhile, made it in thrice, winning the division in only the first simulation.  And as I said, they actually managed to upset the Patriots in the Super Bowl.  So good news for Bears fans is that should their team actually get there, they not only could they feasibly win, but they could essentially end the current Super Bowl dynasty.  That pretty much leaves us with the Packers, who had managed to win the division 8 times in 9 appearances (the lone time they didn't win the division was due to the Bears winning the Super Bowl), and had reached the Super Bowl three times, winning twice (including a split between them and the Steelers).  Their other Super Bowl victory happened to have occurred against the Chargers, btw.

NFC South:  The Buccaneers managed to earn playoff seeding twice, but they had unfortunately, never won the division.  Next up is the Atlanta Falcons, who won the division in both their appearances, but saw quick exits from the playoffs both times.  The Saints have also won the division 3 times in 4 appearances.  This just leaves us with the Carolina Panthers, who won their division 5 times in 8 appearances.  Unfortunately, they only ever reached the Super Bowl once, and the team that beat them happened to be the Indianapolis Colts.

NFC West:  Neither the 49ers nor the Rams ever reached the playoffs, and even then, this division seems to be so brutal that both of Seattle's Super Bowl victories happened when they were a 9-7 4th seed (once against the Steelers and another against the Chargers).  But the Seahawks are show to have won their division 7 times in 9 appearances, while the Cardinals won the division 3 times in 4 appearances.  Still, the Cardinals did beat the Chargers in their only Super Bowl appearance, so there's that.

Which means the best NFC teams happen to be:

1.  Green Bay Packers

2.  Seattle Seahawks

3.  Carolina Panthers

4.  New York Giants

5.  Arizona Cardinals

6.  Chicago Bears

I removed the Dallas Cowboys because in spite this simulation apparently all but guaranteeing them a spot in the playoffs, if not as division champions, Tony Romo is hurt, and quite frankly, it remains to be seen if he can even stay healthy.  Through all intents and purposes, I say his career is all but finished at this point.  But at least the above six teams had all reached the Super Bowl at least once.

And the ten teams with the absolute best shot at winning a Vince Lombardi Trophy?

1.  Green Bay Packers

2.  Seattle Seahawks

3.  Pittsburgh Steelers

4.  New England Patriots

5.  New York Giants

6.  Arizona Cardinals

7.  Indianapolis Colts

8.  Arizona Cardinals

9.  Carolina Panthers/San Diego Chargers

10.Chicago Bears

So far love everything. Only played one game though, with my Seahawks vs. Broncos. Here's what I've seen just from one game. And, like I said... it's one game. Bennett literally mauled the holder on an extra point kick! It was in my favor.... but, damn! Bennett's good, but I took the holder out before the kicker started his first step! Also, on pass plays from Seahawks, I noticed that even if Broncos did NOT call my play, they rushed like they had called it. No big deal, but, being used to old Tecmo, I knew when I saw them coming, I needed to dump that ball quick. On these pass plays, it seemed like they called the play.... EVERY PLAY! I was still able to dump it off, but a little deceiving as I saw them rushing like they had called the play. Again, no worries, just need to adapt. On a side note, why the hell do my Hawks keep getting injured? Marshawn last year couldn't go 3 games. Now, Rawls, Baldwin, etc. Rawls I understand, he did get hurt last year. But, Marshawn before that? Dude was ALWAYS down. Anyways, no real complaints. Can't even imagine the time it took to create this amazing game. Love it. just need to adapt. Oh, and on last note, whenever Broncos kicked-off... their whole damn team was 5-10 yards beyond ball before kicker kicked it! Minor things. Overall awesome job. probably find other things as I go along.... but, no major complaints. Great job!

4 hours ago, Mike Gordan said:

Okay, so I got done with 10 of these things, and let me tell you the teams that actually have a shot at winning the Super Bowl this year according to this Tecmo simulator:

AFC East:  New England Patriots (5 division titles out of 7 appearances), and is guaranteed to win the Super Bowl should they get homefield advantage throughout (still, they made it in three times, winning only once).  Still, this doesn't really take into account Tom Brady's suspension or his age, but it's still relatively proof that the Patriots are as solid a pick to win the division and reach the AFC Championship game like always.  But the Jets and Bills won the division twice apiece in 3 and 4 appearances respectively, while the Dolphins make up the rear with one division title in two appearances.  But the Patriots are the most sure thing right now, and while it is interesting to note that this simulation really likes Buffalo's chances at actually making the playoffs, they never won a single playoff game in all four of their tries.  Same thing for the Jets.  This means the Patriots are, of course, the team to beat still in the division.

AFC North:  Pittsburgh Steelers not only reached the playoffs in every single solitary scenario, but they won the division 8 times out of 10, with the only two times they actually failed to clinch the division were when either the Cincinnati Bengals won the division at 12-4 (still one-and-done though) out of 3 playoff appearances, and when the Cleveland Browns unexpectedly reached the AFC Championship game with a 14-2 record (they still lost though to the Pittsburgh Steelers, though they failed to win it that time) in their only trip to the playoffs.  Still, the Steelers managed to win in only the second simulation against the Packers of all teams.  But surprisingly enough, while it's winning average isn't as bad as the Browns when taking that 14-2 out of the equation, the Ravens' only playoff berth was as a mere 6th seed.  Still of all the teams in this division, the Steelers by far stands the best shot at making the playoffs at the very least, and at best, winning the Super Bowl.

AFC South:  A ton of mediocrity in this division.  The Titans only won the division twice (in three appearances), but never got there.  The Jaguars also made 3 appearances, netting a 9-7 record each time, and only ever winning the division once during the final simulation.  It's basically a contest between the Texans and Colts with 5 playoff spots apiece, and while the Texans holds a slight edge in ranking with 3 division titles versus the Colts' 2, Colts fans ought to feel content in knowing that should they reach the Super Bowl, they will most certainly win it.

AFC West:  The Broncos--while they won the division once and even a playoff game, never came close to reaching the Super Bowl, and never made it back to the playoffs after that one time (which makes me a bit sad, btw).  The middle two teams, however, are quite different; the Chiefs, surprisingly enough, only ever reaches the playoffs three times, winning the division once.  But they never won a playoff game.  Meanwhile, the lone playoff appearance the Raiders made, they not only won the division, but managed to reach the Super Bowl as well (only to get killed by the Cardinals).  So I suppose the good news for Raiders' fans is that should they get there, they stand a good shot at actually getting there.  That just leaves us with the San Diego Chargers, in which the emulator seems to really love in spite the problems said team are currently facing.  They won the division 7 times in 8 appearances, and reached the Super Bowl twice (both times when the Chargers got the 2 seed--the 1 seed was heavily dominated by the Steelers, a bit by the Patriots, and by the one Super Bowl victory by the Colts).  Unfortunately, they lost badly both times.

So in the AFC, here are the best teams in accordance to Tecmo Super Bowl:

1.  Pittsburgh Steelers

2.  New England Patriots

3.  Indianapolis Colts

4.  San Diego Chargers

5.  Houston Texans

6.  Buffalo Bills

Now for the NFC:

NFC East:  The Redskins--sadly--appear to be the one team that will wind up having absolutely 0 playoff appearances according to this simulation.  Even the Eagles--as bad as they appear to be--made the playoffs at least once.  In spite not taking into account Tony Romo's injury (or even his subsequent injuries), the Cowboys has won the division 8 times in 9 appearances.  But, they never even so much as reach the Super Bowl.  In stark contrast, the Giants only made the playoffs twice, both times as either the 6th seed or the 1st seed.  And in both 1st seed appearances, the Giants have split their Super Bowl winnings with the Patriots, going 1-1.  So I suppose the best shot at reaching the playoffs (provided Romo starts every game) is the Cowboys, but the Giants are the only NFC East team that has what it takes to even reach a Super Bowl and win it.  And in both appearances against the Patriots of all things.

NFC North:  Another instance of a team that never even comes close to making the playoffs would be the Detroit Lions (although there was a simulation where they do manage to win the division, I have no data on how their quest for a Lombardi had went since I accidentally restarted to the last save state by mistake).  The Vikings made it in half of their appearances, winning the division exactly once.  But they never even got to the Super Bowl.  The Bears, meanwhile, made it in thrice, winning the division in only the first simulation.  And as I said, they actually managed to upset the Patriots in the Super Bowl.  So good news for Bears fans is that should their team actually get there, they not only could they feasibly win, but they could essentially end the current Super Bowl dynasty.  That pretty much leaves us with the Packers, who had managed to win the division 8 times in 9 appearances (the lone time they didn't win the division was due to the Bears winning the Super Bowl), and had reached the Super Bowl three times, winning twice (including a split between them and the Steelers).  Their other Super Bowl victory happened to have occurred against the Chargers, btw.

NFC South:  The Buccaneers managed to earn playoff seeding twice, but they had unfortunately, never won the division.  Next up is the Atlanta Falcons, who won the division in both their appearances, but saw quick exits from the playoffs both times.  The Saints have also won the division 3 times in 4 appearances.  This just leaves us with the Carolina Panthers, who won their division 5 times in 8 appearances.  Unfortunately, they only ever reached the Super Bowl once, and the team that beat them happened to be the Indianapolis Colts.

NFC West:  Neither the 49ers nor the Rams ever reached the playoffs, and even then, this division seems to be so brutal that both of Seattle's Super Bowl victories happened when they were a 9-7 4th seed (once against the Steelers and another against the Chargers).  But the Seahawks are show to have won their division 7 times in 9 appearances, while the Cardinals won the division 3 times in 4 appearances.  Still, the Cardinals did beat the Chargers in their only Super Bowl appearance, so there's that.

Which means the best NFC teams happen to be:

1.  Green Bay Packers

2.  Seattle Seahawks

3.  Carolina Panthers

4.  New York Giants

5.  Arizona Cardinals

6.  Chicago Bears

I removed the Dallas Cowboys because in spite this simulation apparently all but guaranteeing them a spot in the playoffs, if not as division champions, Tony Romo is hurt, and quite frankly, it remains to be seen if he can even stay healthy.  Through all intents and purposes, I say his career is all but finished at this point.  But at least the above six teams had all reached the Super Bowl at least once.

And the ten teams with the absolute best shot at winning a Vince Lombardi Trophy?

1.  Green Bay Packers

2.  Seattle Seahawks

3.  Pittsburgh Steelers

4.  New England Patriots

5.  New York Giants

6.  Arizona Cardinals

7.  Indianapolis Colts

8.  Arizona Cardinals

9.  Carolina Panthers/San Diego Chargers

10.Chicago Bears

This is awesome! Thanks! BTW on the Cowboys, I rated their backup fairly high and believe they are a better team with him than Romo so the simulation should hold up. Time will tell.

• DFM changed the title to (NES) QBVIKINGS Tecmo Super Bowl 2016-2017
  • DFM changed the title to (NES) QBVIKINGS Tecmo Super Bowl 2016-2017
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 7:33 AM, qbvikings said:e

This is awesome! Thanks! BTW on the Cowboys, I rated their backup fairly high and believe they are a better team with him than Romo so the simulation should hold up. Time will tell.

There's another interesting quirk with the Tecmo Super Bowl rom, and that's the fact that no matter what, it seems that the better offensive football teams are going to be winning games and making it to the Super Bowl.  Specifically when it comes to the passing game.  This is why the Tecmo rom is constantly predicting teams like the San Diego Chargers or Chicago Bears to at least make the playoffs.  This also explains why the teams that win almost entirely on defense--like the Denver Broncos--as well as more balanced sets (Cincinnati Bengals, Kansas City Chiefs, Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings) tend to see such low results.  Although it does appear that the AI behaves in a rather erratic manner and simply favors some teams over others.  The Lions, for example, only ever reached the playoffs once as division champions where the results of their season (as well as their record) were lost by my own error; but the Redskins, 49ers, and Rams were portrayed as the only football teams never to reach the playoffs.  Admittedly, I at least have the 49ers as one of the four worst teams in all of football--in fact, I think they may even rival the Browns for worst team in football.

22 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

There's another interesting quirk with the Tecmo Super Bowl rom, and that's the fact that no matter what, it seems that the better offensive football teams are going to be winning games and making it to the Super Bowl.  Specifically when it comes to the passing game.  This is why the Tecmo rom is constantly predicting teams like the San Diego Chargers or Chicago Bears to at least make the playoffs.  This also explains why the teams that win almost entirely on defense--like the Denver Broncos--as well as more balanced sets (Cincinnati Bengals, Kansas City Chiefs, Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings) tend to see such low results.  Although it does appear that the AI behaves in a rather erratic manner and simply favors some teams over others.  The Lions, for example, only ever reached the playoffs once as division champions where the results of their season (as well as their record) were lost by my own error; but the Redskins, 49ers, and Rams were portrayed as the only football teams never to reach the playoffs.  Admittedly, I at least have the 49ers as one of the four worst teams in all of football--in fact, I think they may even rival the Browns for worst team in football.

That's the fun of the game. :)

34 minutes ago, Mike Gordan said:

Actually one other point on this. I'm playing the season as the Bears and lost the opening game to the Texans 10-7, so playing  the defensive teams is actually quite a challenge, especially with a mediocre offense like Chicago.

Juiced to the max? No shit. I tackled a punter like he stole my mom's best apple pie. I caught a pass 15 yds from LOS and saw him tackled from a defender 20 yds away.... a 1/2 a second after I caught it. Love the updated rosters. But how in the hell is my punter the first one to make a tackle 60 yds from the punt? I get that it's a juiced version, but damn, give a brother a chance! LOL

Some other findings

• Miami NT Ndamukong Suh should be #93
  • Miami LCB Byron Maxwell should be #41
  • Jets K Nick Folk should be #2
  • Cleveland WR Ricardo Louis should be #80
  • Jacksonville LE Malik Jackson should be #90
  • Denver LT Russell Okung should be #73
  • Dallas C Travis Frederick should be #72
  • Detroit WR Anquan Boldin should be #80
  • Minnesota NT Linval Joseph should be #98
  • Los Angeles WR Tavon Austin should be #11
  • Los Angeles RILB Mark Barron should be #26
  •  

2 hours ago, Disengage said:

Some other findings

• Miami NT Ndamukong Suh should be #93
  • Miami LCB Byron Maxwell should be #41
  • Jets K Nick Folk should be #2
  • Cleveland WR Ricardo Louis should be #80
  • Jacksonville LE Malik Jackson should be #90
  • Denver LT Russell Okung should be #73
  • Dallas C Travis Frederick should be #72
  • Detroit WR Anquan Boldin should be #80
  • Minnesota NT Linval Joseph should be #98
  • Los Angeles WR Tavon Austin should be #11
  • Los Angeles RILB Mark Barron should be #26
  •  

Thank you. Fixed.

First of all: Thanks so much for the fantastic work you put into this; a labor of love and it shows.

A comment after just one game, though (and I've played your excellent roms in the past and many others, too):

Running seems SNES-difficult. The first game of the season and Adrian Petersen ends up with 17 for 7 or something of that sort... just always stuffed behind the line of scrimmage on all but a handful attempts. (And even then not breaking through into the backfield.) That seems tough, for the first game of the season, and would seem to make it a all-passing game, which isn't half the fun. But also the game in general was extremely difficult for a first game of the season. Teddy was under constant pressure and could rarely take the time to step back and go through the reads. (Still, that was within the limits of what is navigable and perhaps even 'realistic'.)

Also: Mariota seemed to be black (except when injured -- but that may be an homage to the original); are there only two shades of color in this game? I've seen crayon boxes with more variety. :-) 

All meant constructively, none deprecatingly. Best & thanks, Rune