Non-plain text Hex-editing

I've recently gotten my feet wet using FCEUX's Hex-editor to modify some things within a ROM that aren't handled with a ROM editor.  Right now, I can edit text within a ROM if it shows up as simple plain text within the ROM (example:  Tecmo football and basketball games). 

Using my new-found FCEUX toy, I decided to start tearing open other ROMs to see what was inside.  I thought it would be a good idea to tinker around with Nintendo World Cup and try to make a 2014 World Cup edition of the ROM (so far, using Tile-Layer Pro, I've changed graphical instances of "W.Germany" to simply say "Germany").  This is where things get tricky and I hope this is something that can be simply answered within a forum post.

In the screen-shot below, I would like to start changing player names.  However, the names do not show up as plain-text within the ROM, nor do they show up as sprite tiles within Tile-Layer Pro.  How and what would I have to look for within the ROM in order to change the names of players and/or countries? 

Much thanks in advance!

wc.jpg

A lot of games map to tiles and then call the tiles based on their location in the PPU.

Pull up the PPU viewer.

You'll see the letters drawn and you'll be able to find their locations in the PPU which hopefully will help you find it in the Rom.

Mouse over the letters for "Tony"

You'll find the letters are located at F3, 0F, 0E, and 19

Do a search for F40F0E19. That is spelling Tony.

I replaced F4 with F3 and reset. Now the name reads "Sony"

Finding the first couple of names should show you the pattern on the rom for how that lays out.

If you're lucky, the jersey name and any attributes will be in between names and not in a completely different section

89cb55c0da.png

Does this table file help?

F4=0
F5=1
F6=2
F7=3
F8=4
F9=5
FA=6
FB=7
FC=8
FD=9
C0=A
C1=B
C2=C
C3=D
C4=E
C5=F
C6=G
C7=H
C8=I
C9=J
CA=K
CB=L
CC=M
CD=N
CE=O
CF=P
D0=Q
D1=R
D2=S
D3=T
D4=U
D5=V
D6=W
D7=X
D8=Y
D9=Z
DA=a
DB=b
DC=c
DD=d
DE=e
DF=f
E0=g
E1=h
E2=i
E3=j
E4=k
E5=l
E6=m
E7=n
E8=o
E9=p
EA=q
EB=r
EC=s
ED=t
EE=u
EF=v
F0=w
F1=x
F2=y
F3=z
BA=,
B2=!
2A='
2B=&
B6=.
B1="
B3=?
B4=-
B7=:
FE=$
B5=%

If so, you should be able to create a .tbl file and load it into the hex editor to edit it that way.

I'd recommend this site for various techniques in hacking roms

http://www.romhacking.net/

Ditto. Le Googs help me find this PDF which you may find helpful.

"This PDF document presents offsets and descriptions for much of the data needed to hack Nintendo World Cup, including team statistics, graphics, palettes, and passwords. It also contains information about RAM addresses that may be useful to hackers, such as addresses that store the status of player input and graphical updates."

BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE! 

Download said PDF here: http://www.romhacking.net/documents/399/

I will definitely check them out.  Right now, I'm starting hacking-lite by playing around with in-game text and tiles.  So far I tore down the Berlin Wall that separated East and West Germany ("W.Germany" becomes "Germany"), and inserted Germany's World Cup lineup into the game.

COAKKadVAAAG9O5.png

Nice work!

Don't even get me started about Mario Gotze.

You mean Uber-Mario?

Pretty much the opposite. He is like Ryan Leaf. Has a crazy good run against lesser competition, but then moves to the big leagues (FC Bayern) and is a complete turd. What a sham and waste of transfer cash.

• 2 months later...
On Thu Sep 03 2015 15:30:30 GMT-0300, davefmurray said:

Does this table file help?

F4=0

F5=1

F6=2

F7=3

F8=4

F9=5

FA=6

FB=7

FC=8

FD=9

C0=A

C1=B

C2=C

C3=D

C4=E

C5=F

C6=G

C7=H

C8=I

C9=J

CA=K

CB=L

CC=M

CD=N

CE=O

CF=P

D0=Q

D1=R

D2=S

D3=T

D4=U

D5=V

D6=W

D7=X

D8=Y

D9=Z

DA=a

DB=b

DC=c

DD=d

DE=e

DF=f

E0=g

E1=h

E2=i

E3=j

E4=k

E5=l

E6=m

E7=n

E8=o

E9=p

EA=q

EB=r

EC=s

ED=t

EE=u

EF=v

F0=w

F1=x

F2=y

F3=z

BA=,

B2=!

2A='

2B=&

B6=.

B1="

B3=?

B4=-

B7=:

FE=$

B5=%

If so, you should be able to create a .tbl file and load it into the hex editor to edit it that way.

Thank you I will work with my new proyect