Rating Players

Hi Everyone,

When it comes to rating players sometimes it is easy in the case of a speedy wide receiver with good hands to decide what ratings are reasonable, but what about running backs like LeVeon Bell?  He was one of the top rushers last year but he is not going to blow past guys on the field. He is more likely to run over people but then Tecmo would generally rate the better running backs by making them fast, irregardless if they were fast in real life or not.  Do you rate his max speed 50 and hit power 75 or do you go in another direction altogether?  What do you guys use to help rate player attributes?  Thanks

You will get a lot of different views on this topic.  In my opinion - for offensive players, especially RBs, Rushing Power (aka. RP... i.e. Acceleration) is severely misused.  Reducing RP to the 31-56 range will give you greater flexibility with Rushing Speed and Max Speed.

In the case of Leveon Bell, using your example above, I would go high RS, high RP, average MS, high HP.  So that he is effective, but doesn't have that breakaway speed.

Just my 2 cents.  If you like to stick to the original ratings and keep 69 RP, then disregard.

I like what each guy has said, so far. 

With rom ratings it's typically RBs where there's a problem trying to differentiate players. It's easy to differentiate other posititons.

Like everyone else said:

1.) You can play around with RS/RP on offense to change how fast they start out and gain top speed

2.) Use the grapple hack that way backs with higher HP are more likely to break tackles

There is a third option you can use that could prove effective

Drop the hitting power of defenders. Make a 38 HP defender the norm (as opposed to 44 or 50 HP). Therefore below average defenders will resemble more of their offensive counterparts (25 HP, 31 HP). Make some of the DBs the same HP (or only slightly higher) as WRs. 

Therefore a 75 HP RB may now run over weak DBs and poor LBs and 81 and 88 HP now have some real meaning with 94 HP still being the gold standard

There is a third option you can use that could prove effective

Drop the hitting power of defenders. Make a 38 HP defender the norm (as opposed to 44 or 50 HP). Therefore below average defenders will resemble more of their offensive counterparts (25 HP, 31 HP). Make some of the DBs the same HP (or only slightly higher) as WRs. 

I saw recently that PSX Tecmo Super Bowl 1996 does this for most Corner Backs (13HP...with a few exceptions of 19, 25, and of course ROD WOODSON with his 56 HP).  

I have tried this philosophy for some custom NES TSB versions and LOVE IT.  

Edited by buck

I do that too, cornerback HP in the 25-50 range. It makes for useful slow low-INT high-HP run stopping safeties, like real life Andre Waters.

But yeah, the big issue is OG RP. I prefer using a low RP rating for all players except wide receivers and cornerbacks (they get a low RS instead), and I find it to be a bit more dynamic. Like how it makes for "tapping"-backs (high-RS mid-HP) and "popcorn"-backs (mid-RS high-HP), etc.

I will have to try tweaking the RS and RP settings and maybe lowering the HP of average/ below average defenders to have them better match up with their offensive counterparts and see how that works.  As for the grappling hack, do you have to use a hex editor to adjust that or is a patch for that?  Thanks for the suggestions guys.