Tecmo Super Bowl 25th Anniversary Edition

PROJECT:  

Creating my first Hack of Tecmo Super Bowl on a cartridge for the NES.

PURPOSE:

A 25 year Who's Who from each of the 32 NFL franchises with updated hacks from the community to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the greatest game ever made.

BASIS:

Several complex formulas and career statistics to determine who made it on the game and what their ratings will be.

PRODUCT:  

Limited Edition 25 copy run silver painted cartridge with custom BitBox and artwork, professional instruction manual, and custom label.

PARTICIPATION:  

• Fan based input (Fan Favorites)
  • Contests to see who gets on the purchase list first (must join the Facebook page)

FAQs

1.  This sounds awesome, how can I purchase one?

A = I will be having contests via the Facebook page to determine who will have the opportunity to purchase first.  Contests will begin in the summer of 2016.

2.  How much is it going to cost?

A = I have no clue.  I will list a price once the cartridges, boxes, and instruction manuals are complete.  Purchases will begin in the fall of 2016.

3.  When are you selling these?

A = Purchases will be made in the fall of 2016. Cartridges will be delivered to buyers on December 13, 2016 (the 25th Anniversary)

4.  Will the ROM be available online?

A = No.  The point of this project is for me to complete a ROM on cartridge.  The game will be exclusive to the 25 people who purchase the cartridge.

5.  How come so and so did not make it on the game?

A = Everything was done based on statistical data and formulas.  All of this will accompany the product with access to the formulas, statitics, spreadsheets, and game data.

I am posting here because I know many of you have good ideas and knowledge about the original game, but may not be on Facebook.

Edited by Tecmo Psycho

Fan Input Poll:  Fan Favorites

"Fan Favorites" will feature six polls for fans of the game to "save" an original Tecmo Super Bowl ('91) player that did make the 25th Anniversary cut.  Each poll will be done by the 1991 AFC and NFC divisions (AFC East, AFC Central, AFC West, NFC East, NFC Central, and NFC West).

A list of the of the original Tecmo Super Bowl ('91) players who made the 25th Anniversary ROM will be listed in the polls.  If one of you favorite players didn't make the cut, you can cast a vote to save him.

The players from each of the six divisions who are saved by the community will be featured in the game as a special type of player with an incredible attribute (IE:  Lonnie Young RS).

First up is the AFC East

Who would you save that is not on the list below?

Voting rules:
1. Comment for your vote.
2. You can only vote one time.
3. No editing votes.
4. You have to choose between offense or defense (you only get one vote, not for each).

QBs:  QB Bills, Dan Marino, Steve Grogan, and Ken O'Brien

RBs:  Thurman Thomas, Albert Bentley, Johnny Hector, and Mosi Tatupu

WRs:  Andre Reed, James Lofton, Mark Duper, Mark Clayton, Irving Fryar, and Al Toon

TEs:  Pete Metzelaars

OL:  Jim Richter, Kent Hull, Randy Dixon, Harry Galbreath, Keith Sims, Richmond Webb, and Bruce Armstrong

Ks:  Pat Leahy

DLs:  Bruce Smith and  Jeff Cross

LBs:  Darryl Talley, Shane Conlan, C. Bennett, John Offerdahl, Andre Tippett, Kyle Clifton, Duane Bickett, and Jeff Herrod

DBs:  Nate Odomes, Mark Kelso, Louis Oliver, Fred Marion, James Hasty, Eugene Daniel, and  Mike Prior

Ps:  Reggie Roby, Tom Tupa (yes a punter), and Rohn Stark

EDIT:  Final voting:

Erik McMillan (5)

Marv Cook (2)

Ronnie Lippett (2)

Dennis Byrd (1)

Ray Agnew (1)

Jamie Mueller (1)

Edited by Tecmo Psycho

Johnny Johnson better find a way on your 91' NFC roster........I don't care if he's returning punts, he just better be on that game.....and you better take this post seriously, or your game will be cursed.

He is.  Despite the fact that he only ended up with 31 MS based on real life statistics and the formula I used, I bumped him up to 44 MS because the ARZ running core is pathetic and mainly because of you. #HiddenStats

He is.  Despite the fact that he only ended up with 31 MS based on real life statistics and the formula I used, I bumped him up to 44 MS because the ARZ running core is pathetic and mainly because of you. #HiddenStats

Your a good man and give credit where it's due...........but the little known fact is as a rookie in 1990, he only played a little more than half the games and still got 926 yrds rushing.  He gave it a go after h

e sat out about 4 games for fracturing his ankle but was never the same that season.....at the pace he was on, he may have gone for 17 or 18 hundred yards that year...(hence the Probowl appearence)...the stats on paper don't always tell the whole story.  #HiddenStats

If your going off real life "career" stats, in 93', he did have 67 receptions for 600+ yrds & over 800 yrds rushing with less than 200 attempts.....you might wanna boost his receptions up a little.....I always though Tecmo jewed him outta his receptions rankings...but then again, it probably won't matter what the stats say, cuzz Johnny's gonna do, what Johnny's gonna do. 

• 4 weeks later...

"Fan Favorites" will feature six polls for fans of the game to "save" an original Tecmo Super Bowl ('91) player that did make the 25th Anniversary cut.  Each poll will be done by the 1991 AFC and NFC divisions (AFC East, AFC Central, AFC West, NFC East, NFC Central, and NFC West).

A list of the of the original Tecmo Super Bowl ('91) players who made the 25th Anniversary ROM will be listed in the polls.  If one of you favorite players didn't make the cut, you can cast a vote to save him.

The players from each of the six divisions who are saved by the community will be featured in the game as a special type of player with an incredible attribute (IE:  Lonnie Young RS).

Next up is the AFC Central

Voting rules:
3. No editing votes.
4. You have to choose between offense or defense (you only get one vote, not for each).

QBs:  Boomer Esiason, QB Browns, and Warren Moon 

RBs:  James Brooks, Harold Green, Earnest Byner (on Browns), Kevin Mack, Leroy Hoard, Eric Metcalf, Merril Hoge, Lorenzo White, andMike Rozier (on Oilers)

WRs:  Eddie Brown , Webster Slaughter, Brian Brennan, Reggie Langhorne, Louis Lipps, Ernest Givens, Drew Hill, and Haywood Jeffiries

TEs:  Curtis Duncan, Rodney Holman, Ozzie Newsome, and Eric Green

OL:  bruce REIMERS, anthony MUNOZ, bruce KOZERSKI, tony JONES, mike BAAB, john JACKSON, tunch ILKIN, dermontti DAWSON, terry LONG, Bruce Matthews, and mike MUNCHAK

Ks:  Jim Breech, Gary Anderson, and Al Del Greco (on Oilers)

DLs:  Tim Krumie and Ray Childress (yes a DL)

LBs:  James Francis, Carl Zander, Mike Johnson, Clay Matthews, Greg Lloyd, and Al Smith 

DBs:  David Fulcher, Frank Minnifield, Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, and Cris Dishman

Ps:  Lee Johnson

If there is a favorite of yours that didn't make it, list your player as a comment. The most votes for players not already listed above by Sunday August 23 will join Erik McMillan as the second of six on the game and will have a unique/special attribute.

Voting rules:
3. No editing votes.
4. You have to choose between offense or defense (you cannot vote for one each).

EDIT:  Final voting:

Richard Johnson (6)

John Grimsley (1)

Dwayne Woodruff (1)

Hardy Nickerson (1)

Edited by Tecmo Psycho

Whoa there. Richard Johnson? Gotta have Dick. Only Wayne stands ahead of Mr. Johnson on my list of most crazy-sideways-jumping-user picks. There's no greater Tecmo moment than perfectly bating a guy into thinking his WR is wide open and then watching your CB zone in on the ball from 35 yards away and pick it off. Dick is one of the few masters of this and must be included in this list.

Your a good man and give credit where it's due...........but the little known fact is as a rookie in 1990, he only played a little more than half the games and still got 926 yrds rushing.  He gave it a go after h

e sat out about 4 games for fracturing his ankle but was never the same that season.....at the pace he was on, he may have gone for 17 or 18 hundred yards that year...(hence the Probowl appearence)...the stats on paper don't always tell the whole story.  #HiddenStats

If your going off real life "career" stats, in 93', he did have 67 receptions for 600+ yrds & over 800 yrds rushing with less than 200 attempts.....you might wanna boost his receptions up a little.....I always though Tecmo jewed him outta his receptions rankings...but then again, it probably won't matter what the stats say, cuzz Johnny's gonna do, what Johnny's gonna do. 

I just thought I'd BUMP this......incase you, or other people didn't reccognize the facts.

Next up is the AFC West

Voting rules:
3. No editing votes.

QB: John Elway, Steve DeBerg, Rich Gannon (RAI). Jay Schroeder, Stan Humphries (S.D.), and Dave Krieg

RB: Sammy Winder, Marcus Allen, Marion Butts Ronnie Harmon, Chris Warren, and John L. Williams

WR: Vance Johnson, Stephone Paige, Tim Brown, Mervyn Fernandez, Anthony Miller, and Brian Blades

TE: None

OL: ken LANIER, ben HAMILTON, john ALT, dave LUTZ, don MOSEBAR, steve WISNIEWSKI, and edwin BAILEY

K: Nick Lowery, John Carney, and Norm Johnson

DL: Greg Kragen, Bill Maas, Dan Saleaumua, Neil Smith, Greg Townsend, Howie Long, Leslie O'Neal (yes DL), Cortez Kennedy (yes DL), Joe Nash, and Jacob Green

LB: Karl Mecklenburg, Simon Fletcher, Derrick Thomas, Jerry Robinson, Junior Seau, Gary Plummer, Rufus Porter, and Terry Wooden

DB: Tyrone Braxton, Steve Atwater, Dennis Smith, Kevin Ross, Albert Lewis, Deron Cherry, Terry McDaniel, Eddie Anderson, Gill Byrd, and Eugene Robinson

P: Rick Tuten

If there is a favorite of yours that didn't make it, list your player as a comment. The most votes for players not already listed above by Sunday September 13 will join Erik McMillan and Richard Johnson as the third of six on the game with a unique/special attribute.

Voting rules:
3. No editing votes.
4. You have to choose between offense or defense (you cannot vote for one each).

Edited by Tecmo Psycho

My vote is a no brainier for me:  Christian Okoye

I'd agree that Okoye should be included....Always loved trucking over people with the Nigerian Nightmare :)

But what about Bo Jackson?  The guy is a video game legend :)

Bo would have to be my vote.

Maybe I missed a reason why he is an exception but Jeff Feagles was a NFC player (Eagles)

Feagles played more seasons and was valued higher with my forumla for Seattle than Philadelphia.

BUT I did make a mistake on Seattle as the punter should be Rick Tuten (OG BUG) rather than Feagles.