Grogan Season

toolie

post-8428-0-84808700-1436212340_thumb.jp

13-3 Made a couple mistakes running with Grogan and picked run plays a few times cuz I just pick run on auto but i just ran oob for 1 yd losses. Got screenshots of all the games but the 1 I wanted to show. 2nd game vs Miami won by one point Thx to Tippett blocked xp. Lost 2 in a row early when Marv Cook went down. Fryar was bad for most of the season but Grogs was in good and excellent for most of the season. Hart Lee Dykes was the biggest dick puncher although Cook did some too with his pass 3 deep posts.

On to playoffs tonight

Oh and this was strictly console.

post-8428-0-69640900-1436213291_thumb.jp

post-8428-0-42479200-1436213363_thumb.jp

My last loss was against the Bills in the 2nd game vs them. I got a quick safety on 2 picked play pass 1s and was up 16-0 in the first half. Bills scored and Grogan got sacked on 4th right before half. They kicked fg for 16-10. Cue Kirby Jackson swoop int out of nowhere on dump off and then 2 lost fumbles one by Marv after a deep catch. Blowout city

post-8428-0-99004500-1436213988_thumb.jp

Dunno specifics other than it is how it was intended to be played.

Grogan got Houston and Lo White was injured but man. Moon Drew Hill, Givins and Dick dick in good. (Exc dick dick at end of game) Jeffires Sean Jones and Grimsley? were all in excellent (well I dont remember Grimsley pregame condition but it was exc at the end.

Grogan in Avg but went to good good then exc. Cook exc. Fryar came off dl. I forgot to check my own d even though I had Just taken pics of a couple.

I win toss. Moon sliCCes and diCCes for an easy TD to Exc Haywood. I got ball and pass w erryone covered. Chuck it to Fryar but no JJ. Kinard with the pick. Pinkett in good takes run 1 up top and after engaging the drone Pinkett burns it to the house. Gonna be one of those games. Grogs takes a bomb shot to Hart Lee who JJs it for the score. Hope! Moon takes QB sneak and looks like hes gonna house it from his own 30 with a blocker leading the way. Man Hurst retreats to avoid grapple and blocker bump and dive tackles Warren AND... BRING OUT THE STRETCHER! Moon is down! Cody Carlson avoids blunders and hits Haywood deep behind the coverage JJ and prance. 21 7. Grogs goes back to the Hart Lee Well err Dykes and JJ Again! 21 14. This time LB pressure by manned defense forces punt but it pins Pats in their own 5. Grog has one chance and Sean Jones and William Fuller are all over his azz. Noone is open but Grogan wheels around trying to buy time but gets sacked. Halftime.

Panty Shot. Good sign.

Grogs forces one to Marv who makes the sliding catch on pass 3. TIE GAME!

Cody Carlson leads the men of oil down efficiently hitting Givins short and open twice gaining pots of YAC and somehow punching it in 28 21 Houston.

Grogs next pass. Pass 3 everyone covered. Try a long bomb to Fryar who is in good from the 2nd on but the pass is heading down for a JJ less landing. I figured Dick Dick would get it but no. lb John Grimsley is the chosen one.!

Houston punches it in again. 35 21. Juice baby juice.

Grogan goes back to the well. Hart Lee AGAIN! Quick score gives hope. 35 28!

Pats D then gets a PICK! New England ball down 7 in the 4th. Pass 4 is called. Tons of pressure as Grogs rolls left (up top) seeing Marv uncovered over the middle but upon finally getting Marv clear JOHN FRICKIN GRIMSLEY JJ PICKS IT peeling off the rb and all wind is out of the sails. Pats force a fg and all kicks were cut screens but no Tippett tips. Grogs quickly works it to midfield. 11 seconds left. Fg and prayer for fumble on kickoff is only hope. Fg is shanked right. Online timing had me kick early and that is it. 38 28post-8428-0-07201700-1436246247_thumb.jp

I love reading people's recaps of this challenge.  The Marv "Super Hero" Cook comment got me laughing.  So true.  Having played through 100's of seasons with the Pats (both MAN & COA), I know how frustrating Grogan can be.  I'm gonna have to give this challenge a try, this week.

Alright, I couldn't wait.... started the "Grogan Challenge" at work during my lunch break.  Anything less than 14-2 and a Super Bowl will be a disappointment for this Pats fan.

Laptop with keyboard as controller, FCEUX, unhacked ROM.

I think these are the rules everyone is using - I may have thrown in a few extra - so I'll list them anyways.

1. Pass every play - no rushing - throw or take a sack only.

2. Original Pats playbook.

3. No swapping positions (RB: Stephens, Allen, WR: Fryar, Dykes,  TE: Cook) - subs after an injury as necessary.

4. No kick or punt returns - must run directly OOB (unless to advance to 1 yard line and avoid a safety).

5. No punts or FGs.

6. No defensive INT or fumble returns - must run directly OOB.

7. No lurching.

8. If Grogan gets injured the game will be reset.

Basically, the only way the ball advances from left to right is via Grogan pass - and the only way to score is Grogan TD pass (or safety on a picked play).

I'm 2 games in and the Grogan to Cook combo is in full stride (even in BAD).

post-5893-0-74288000-1436297622_thumb.pn

post-5893-0-93453900-1436297626_thumb.pn

Can't purposely take sacks and I do give myself some room to operate on my side of the field.

Alright, no taking sacks on purpose! ... but Grogan doesn't need any help creating space.  I'm sticking with "the only way the ball advances from left to right is via Grogan pass".

I also allowed myself to return kicks, punts, and defensive turnovers. No intentional sacks.  I also rearranged my offensive players (played conditions).

Edited by toolie

Holy shit... Grogan tested my patience in this game.  In BAD all game.  Almost every pass was overthrown - and there were a couple wide open drops.  I swear on one pass the ball landed 20 yards in front of Dykes. 

Good thing for defense.

post-5893-0-33560200-1436304306_thumb.pn

only thing better is his pass control, and even then that can be finicky at best from what i've seen so far. though i decided perhaps it would be fickle for me to continue the Rosenbach challenge as the Cards' playbook relies a little too much on reverses and play action 

The playoffs seemed to be slightly less difficult than the last few regular season games.  Wonder if losing my final two games to the Jets and Bengals had any impact.  I always thought the juice levels were based on wins, and they very well might be, but my receivers seemed to be open a lot more in the playoffs than the final few regular season games.

Forgot to snap the box score for the Oilers game, but it wasn't much of a game and their only score came late.  I got a bit lucky against the Bengals.  I was up 21-14 early in the 4th when they scored on a long run, while I attempted to blow up the play in the backfield.  21-21.  On the first play after kickoff, they got a safety and took the lead 23-21 (only advancing the ball to the 1 came back to haunt me).  I held them on D and got the ball back with just under a minute left.  A Fryar JJ put the ball at the 40 with 10 seconds left and Marv "Super Hero" Cook made a diving grab in the end zone as time expired.  Thought for sure I was losing that game.

post-5893-0-45271700-1436367215_thumb.pn

The NFC matchup was SF (14-2) vs. NYG (13-3).  In looking at the stats, I thought I was destined to face SF in the Super Bowl to prove who had the better QB/WR combo. 

post-5893-0-88977400-1436367760_thumb.pn

post-5893-0-31314200-1436367767_thumb.pn

It wasn't meant to be as the Giants ended up winning it 24-21.  I immediately started having flashbacks of David Tyree and feared that my O-Line would crumble - just as the Pats O-Line did in Super Bowl XLII - giving Grogan no time to throw, forcing INTs.  I decided I was not losing this game.

Tied 14-14 early in the 4th with the ball on my own 5.  Three consecutive overthrows by Grogan and a drop by Allen and it wasn't looking good.  Giants ball from the 5. On 1st and 2nd down, they called run 4 and I stuffed Meggett up the middle.  After a Simms incompletion, they took the lead 17-14 with just over 2 minutes left.  I again, got a bit lucky with a few JJs, a couple 4th down conversions to Cook and sealed it with a Pass 1 to Allen in the slot with just seconds left.

post-5893-0-41687500-1436367220_thumb.pn

post-5893-0-05932700-1436367228_thumb.pn