Grogan Season

toolie

I'm currently playing an all Steve Grogan season, where every down I have to call pass and throw the ball (or at least try, sometimes I get sacked unintentionally).  No punting or FGs allowed.  It's been pretty funny so far to see the guys getting JJ and catching up to his slow passes.  I swear Offerdahl was right in front of Grogan on one play and got a JJ pick, like he took it out of his hand.  I think I've thrown 5 picks so far.  LOTS of doinks. 

7-1 so far with a stupid loss to the Steelers (I was lazy on defense) and just beat Buffalo. I'm allowing myself to play defense like normal, and the Pats soft schedule has made things easy so far.  It's a bitch when all receivers are covered, though.  I'm using the original playbook passes except for pass 1 I went R&S since it's the only play there where you can get a pass off when the play is called.

Well it was a fun ride, and I made it to the Super Bowl, but Carter and Cofer were hounding me all game and there was almost never an open receiver, resulting in the 49ers crushing me 31-14 in the big game.  In the three previous playoff games the defenses were not stingy and open receivers were aplenty.  12-4 regular season.  Lowlight (or highlight) may have been the Mike Prior JJ INT.

post-7775-0-50837900-1435759072_thumb.pn

post-7775-0-30564900-1435759088_thumb.pn

Edited by toolie

http://tecmobowl.org/topic/11144-grogan-passing-season/?hl=%2Bgrogan+%2Bchallenge#entry96884

I did this one, too.  default playbooks, etc.  all grogan (no running or scrambling) all the time.  15-1 won it all, like 50+ td and 4700+ yards.

Which week did you lose? That's pretty critical for postseason success with such a crappy QB no?

Two weeks in with Grogan. One win was against the Colts 28-21 with him throwing for 400 yards (Fryar definite stud, though i had help from Marv Cook and a little from H.L. Dykes) and 28-14  over the Browns with him throwing for 300+ yards. 

and here's week 3 results:

2822aes.jpg

This match was pretty contested as Rod Woodson got a couple of picks in the endzone, and one of the LBs got a lucky diving INT that led to one of the scoring drives.

Week 4 was Houston x NE. Again barely pulled it out as the Oilers had recovered an onside earlier in the game.

18ofte.png

Which leads to the final game for the evening, Week 5 vs Phoenix. Johnny Johnson pretty much ran me over all game, but i managed to rally back after a very lucky fumble from Garth Jax, who had INT'd the ball intended for Fryar. Patriots win in overtime 27-21

2jyua.png

Edited by TecmoSuperFan

Week 6 vs Miami was one of the better matchups for Grogan, with only one intereception and fumble. Paige and Smith on Miami did give me quite a headache  though as almost every time i tried to tackle them their OL got in the way. Patriots 21-3

ivhkbc.jpg

Week 7 was a bye week, but Week 8 was my first heartbreaking loss of the season, as Minnesota took advantage of fumbles by Fryar and Allen to win. On the other hand they lost Walker half way through the second quarter of play 

2lj4aa9.png

Week 9 was the second straight loss for me as Steve Sewell and the Broncos over came my rally to win 24-21. 

Edited by TecmoSuperFan

post-14470-0-43989900-1436176466_thumb.p

Not a bad year for Grogan and the Pats. 12-4 record. AFC East division champions. #2 seed behind the 14-2 Houston Oilers. Fred Marion had 7 picks, and NEs secondary overall had a great year. A magical playoff run taught us two things...

post-14470-0-33852900-1436176530_thumb.p

Marv Cook is a hero....

post-14470-0-28110500-1436176569_thumb.p

But not a super-hero...

post-14470-0-52381500-1436176623_thumb.p

Ouch! Really fun stuff :)

Week 12
Lost to the jets 31-17. going to try and complete the season today.

Week 13 
Lost 24- 7 to the Bills. Horrible game all around as Grogan threw for a 26 percent completion rating. Fryar fumbled on a punt return that saw Thurman Thomas return it to the house for the game clincher.

Week 14

Defeated the Broncos 21-10. Very lucky game for me as no fumbles has occurred on my side, but one on their offensive turn

Edited by TecmoSuperFan

Same. In fact, I'm typically a safety or corner when playing the CPU anyway, going for interceptions. I hadn't played with New England in ages, so it was a pleasant surprise (reminder?) that their secondary is actually pretty sweet...

I am going the more aggressive approach. Coverage doesnt really work too well with JJs like Andre Reed, haha. So i usually go with the three DL to try and get the QBs. which usually fails for me xD

Week 15 my rushing the QB/RB pretty much worked as i flattened the Colts with a couple of safeties. Of course this was easy considering how bad their OL is xD though they did get a couple of lucky INTs so i guess i shouldnt be surprised.

2jg5xsj.png

Week 16 was a heartbreaker as i managed to blow a 23-7 lead to lose 24-23 after a last second field goal. 

dq19vc.png

Edited by TecmoSuperFan

2s9bxy1.jpg

After 17 weeks, Grogan and the Patriots went 11-5 and failed to win the AFC East division. They got eliminated in the wild card by Pitt 28-21. All in all it was pretty fun despite losing quite a few games. But i admit even i needed the bumps lol. The Super Bowl champs were the Bills

Edited by TecmoSuperFan